Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Some design patterns that DE should stop using.

Atekron

5 hours ago, Atekron said:

how many of current playerbase even touch this game if it's was promoted as playing as emo-teen? how many like playing as operator vs plaing as warframe?

not all of the tenno are emo, its sort of a personal head cannon for each player to deal with on their own, sure they have this wonky style about them but thats sort fo the thing in the game in the first place, complaining about it is pointless and dumb.

i do operator missions from time to time, when i'm bored i like to test myself

Nobody ever seems to realize that they can just write their own story for the Operators. They always complain "emo teenagers", instead of realizing those "teenagers" have been piloting Warframes for years/decades and their bodies have been in cryosleep to preserve their minds. They look like teenagers but they can be whoever you want them to be, just turn off Operator voice lines if you hate them so much. I so very much prefer having concrete lore I can still write my own personality into. 

Operator mechanics are definitely something that should be discussed however, they're so close to being good and fun but just not. Warframe is too fast for how slow they are, and Chains of Harrow really shows that. 

6 hours ago, Atekron said:

but it would be nice if warframes quest would be about warframes and not some teens

dude, Operators ARE warframes. As in, they are a core part of the game, and a core part of the lore. Saying you don't want operators inside a warframe quest is like saying: I want to drink water, without the use of water.....

It doesn't work...

Operators are a core part, when you say: I want a warframe quest. You have to ASSUME there is going to be operators in it. In any new quest coming soon. Cause they're a core part of the game now.

6 hours ago, -Temp0- said:

Operators and also archwings are upon players.

I enjoy both archwing and operators. They're a core part of the game, get over it. They're not being removed if that's what you're hoping for. As I see it, DE seems to be using both of these mechanics more and more to get them out there more. I'm very happy with this. It makes the game more varied. I find it very boring to use a frame all the time, it's very interesting to learn more about the thing controlling the frames. What we really are.

Put me down for enjoying both Archwing and Operators as well.

Wait.... scratch that; I like the idea of both of them, but they kind of leave a little to be desired. Archwing feels too static (we should be dog fighting in space, not shooting things coming in EVERY direction. Operators are finally a sort of "caster" class where you don't rely on the guns so much (which is something I really wanted prior to playingt through the quests), even if the strings attached to it make it wonky.

If they could make Archwing more of a flight simulator, and Operators as a customizable warframe (can't use any equipment, but you get to pick abilities or something), I'd be willing to put the main part of the game down for just those. The (war)framework is there, it just needs to be expanded on for both parts.

17 minutes ago, Arniox said:

Cause they're a core part of the game now.

"core part" mean it's essential to the game, operators not essential, they are just gimmick and unnecessary appendages, warframes in the other hand are essential, "core part"

2 hours ago, Atekron said:

"core part" mean it's essential to the game, operators not essential, they are just gimmick and unnecessary appendages, warframes in the other hand are essential, "core part"

The point though, is they've become way more than a gimmick. They're never leaving now that they're here. And there's only going to be more and more of them coming to the game. 

Hmmm.

I have an odd position on Operators. I genuinely like the concept, I just think that DE are implementing them in such a haphazard way that it feels like Digital Extremes themselves somehow don't like them.

Please, allow me to lay out my problems with them, in order of significance.

- The writing. Dear sweet Jesus, the writing. Their innate dialogue options are really bad, and make it sound like the Tenno are these plucky kids who have no idea what the hell is going on, and whose means of interacting with the setting is to sit at their gaming console hammering buttons on the Warframe controls. That was one of the main criticisms of the Operators, right from the beginning, and it's kind of disappointing to note that DE themselves appear to agree with this characterisation of them.

- Feedback: Voice packs for dialogue and attitude. If the Tenno served as elite warriors, then for the love of God let there be the option to make them at least sound mature, patient, experienced, and like they know what is going on around them.

- Unfinished, unpolished mechanics which have been inserted in the game and then left to rot. Focus is cool, but it's a handful of useful powers embedded in a trunk full of dross. Similarly, Transference is cute, but has precisely bugger all polish and application. I had fun with it for a while, but ultimately it's pointless. If Operators are both badly written and are a mechanical afterthought, then it's hard to blame people for describing them as a cringe-inducing appendix.

- Feedback: Polish up Operator powers, decide what their niche should be, allow players to customise their capabilities so that players can feel like they have some input on their Kewl Powerz, and then give them some genuinely cool stuff to do with them. Operator only stealth missions? Infiltration of abandoned Orokin installations, or of high Corpus offices? Whatever, just so long as it's engaging and fun.

- Poor integration of Operators with cool stuff. Look guys, when your highest priority after TWW was removing the ability of Operators to perform Nartas, but we're coming up on nine months later and we still can't pet our cats, well. The message from DE is clear. "What do you mean, allow Operators to do martial arts and pet kitties? Operators aren't meant to be cool. You're not supposed to like them. Stop having fun with Operators! Just buy their cosmetics for Platinum, and otherwise forget about it!"

- Let Operators be cool. Seriously. 

the operator is just trying to be a edgelord, muted him the second that was possible, I don't need some child trying to be edgy all the time, just like how I don't need ordis spouting bollocks all the time, the operator has no value to me, which is probably why I will never do ''the war within'' quest as it's just playing the edgelord all the time.

I agree with 1 and 2, but 3... I don't hate the operators, but I do feel that they need a buff, their health is really low, they move slow, energy drains really fast, etc. I know that they are kids, but since they have superpowers, I should feel a little bit more powerful, but that's not the case, they actually make me feel really fragile and vulnerable.

11 hours ago, Atekron said:

how many of current playerbase even touch this game if it's was promoted as playing as emo-teen? how many like playing as operator vs plaing as warframe?

yea, most old quests

Uhhgg this annoys me so. I am someone who riven gambles frequently and even I spend maybe 1% of my time in operator form. 1% the gameplay does not revolve around operators and the story is just starting to touch upon the operators because literally all gameplay originates from operators weak bodied strong minded children who have the power to control husks. 

So yeah I think it would keep alot of its audience/gain a different one 

17 hours ago, SilentMobius said:

Tough, they are here to stay, you might not like it but that is your character, even if DE cave and let you exist in Warframes 24/7 you are still going to have the same origin as the rest of us, you are still a child of the Zariman 10-Zero.

No one cares about it lore wise, at least anymore.

But having to play as those have the same effect as being forced to play archwing. And for the same reason.

I enjoy both archwing and operators. They're a core part of the game, get over it. 

Load of bs especially with archwing. Archwing was introduced a decent amount of time ago, mechanically still is crp that isn't not a total garbage only with a recent addition of Amesha that makes playing it only bearable. And there's nothing "core" about the archwing. It's an unpopular side mission side mode. That's all.

And the fact you do like those means nothing, many don't. Same way I can tell you get over yourself and accept the fact many hate both and would rather not run alert or mission at all if it's archwing for example. Forcing players over and over to participate in something they detest isn't that smart of an idea if you're a developer because it will only lead to players hating your game. Same it's not a smart idea to push the crappy conclave and make pvp alerts. People don't want to see those things more often. Someone in DE should get it already.

Nobody ever seems to realize that they can just write their own story for the Operators

You can't because the only time your choice actually influence something is in dialogues. And it's not the only problem.

90% of the times it's some whiny brats that spit nonsense. And it's not even some funny 'nonsense' like Ordis' for example it's just plain and straight up stupid things.

They look like teenagers but they can be whoever you want them to be

In your headcanon, that is. But as soon as he actually opens his mouth it dissapears into the thin air.

Edited by -Temp0-

However, this thread follows a pattern which I've noticed.

1. Someone who doesn't like Operators announces that DE should get rid of them because a staggeringly vast majority of Warframe players all agree with the original poster that Operators suck.

2. Much of the rest of the thread then consists of people popping in to say things along the lines of "Actually, I like Operators," "I don't mind them, they're not an issue," and "I like the idea, but the execution needs some polishing."

lol. Majority. Roffle, "no-one likes them".

There's no need to "get rid fo this". There's a need of concentrating more on lore and cinematics for those kind of things as well as improving the way Operators are played. 

You can't have them both being weak as hell and have no movement abilities and having to constantly recharge their energy. In any kind of normal game being squishy means you're also slippery and hard to hit/kill or you can deal a lot of damage/negate it. Here it means you're just a sitting duck 80% of times waiting for your energy to recharge to do something, randomly dying to oneshots across the map. Likely seriously. 

2 hours ago, BornWithTeeth said:

However, this thread follows a pattern which I've noticed.

1. Someone who doesn't like Operators announces that DE should get rid of them because a staggeringly vast majority of Warframe players all agree with the original poster that Operators suck.

2. Much of the rest of the thread then consists of people popping in to say things along the lines of "Actually, I like Operators," "I don't mind them, they're not an issue," and "I like the idea, but the execution needs some polishing."

lol. Majority. Roffle, "no-one likes them".

Yeah, I'll admit the Operator powers need some work, and their voice lines could use some expanding upon, yet that's really it.

I don't really see the problem with them, honestly. Operators are the alternative to our Warframes. They are mortal, less agile and glass cannon-like to act as the opposite to Warframes in every respect. 

Eh, whatever. The only design decision I want DE to stop is releasing weapons with zero polarities. As in all honesty, we don't all have Forma coming out of our ears.

I will freely admit that a big issue is that DE seem to be in denial about the flaws in their implementation of Operators. Focus is wildly unbalanced, for more than a year and a half now people have been complaining about the dialogue and suggesting a wide range of improvements, DE seem to be more concerned with taking functionality away from Operators than adding it, and Transference is an interesting idea, but totally unfinished.

Lads. DE. If you want people to genuinely like Operators, you have got to stop sabotaging them.

1 minute ago, White_Matter said:

I actually like the concept of the operator. I only wish that they were actually useful.

How about...

- Being able to make some choices about the Operator sound bank, remove some quotes and prioritise others.

- Having significantly more energy so that the Operator can actually use their powers.

- Having some high level Focus abilities apply refinements to the Transference state and Transference powers.

- Having some true Operator-only mission types. I once suggested using the Operator to access the command decks of Orokin derelicts and installations, because if the governing AI detects a Warframe in those areas it will destroy the objective.

How's that?

Just now, BornWithTeeth said:

How about...

- Being able to make some choices about the Operator sound bank, remove some quotes and prioritise others.

- Having significantly more energy so that the Operator can actually use their powers.

- Having some high level Focus abilities apply refinements to the Transference state and Transference powers.

- Having some true Operator-only mission types. I once suggested using the Operator to access the command decks of Orokin derelicts and installations, because if the governing AI detects a Warframe in those areas it will destroy the objective.

How's that?

I think operator only missions is a no go. I highly doubt people would ditch their frames to play with operators. That would be archwing 2.0

But I'm down for some missions thhat require some operator involvement like the kuva syphon. But then operators need significant buffs, as of now they are pretty incompetent.

They need to work a lot on operator battles, but other than that I have no problem story wise with them. And Rell's story is actually quite touching for me, those cards are the way his mum taught him to express emotions, which imo works quite well with the story

On 6/30/2017 at 2:32 AM, rapt0rman said:

Operators are here to stay, you're going to have to suck it up.

Fine. But if operators are gonna stay in the game, they better get a rework. The end of the Harrow quest made it apparent operators are weak as hell.