Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do you like how Ballas looks during TennoCon 2017 - Developer Art Panel?

KisaPrime

Honestly I see your point the right half looks like a dress skirt or mini dress looks skin tight because he seems oddly muscular… like a drag queen. The contrast of muscles in a dress that you don't see often. Some people are overly sensitive with your discription. Maybe cross dresser would be the right term?

The left makes look like he may not have a left leg.

He does come off very feminine, almost a Greco- geisha… maybe that's what the artist was going for.

It might look a lot better in game though.

The hole left side is just defying gravity, lol

Also, I think you're (the OP) jumping the gun quite a bit. The amount of gathered fabric on the ground suggests that he may have a wrapped garment (toga, sarong, etc) coming undone. Might be a visual metaphor for his entire existence thus far.

10 minutes ago, (Xbox One)DreamyRelic80 said:

Honestly I see your point the right half looks like a dress skirt or mini dress looks skin tight because he seems oddly muscular… like a drag queen. The contrast of muscles in a dress that you don't see often. Some people are overly sensitive with your discription. Maybe cross dresser would be the right term?

The left makes look like he may not have a left leg.

He does come off very feminine, almost a Greco- geisha… maybe that's what the artist was going for.

It might look a lot better in game though.

The hole left side is just defying gravity, lol

That's why I changed drag queen to skimpy dress since it looks like it shrank in a washing machine. Just the drawing kills the whole image of Ballas, though it seems I'm just the weird one to think that. 

It looks like what the Egyptians wear wit ha bit of Japanese aesthetics . If you noticed, most Orokin designs are similar to ancient Egypt with a bit of Japanese culture influence. Orokins seem to be a combination of most cultures and religions on earth such as the side blade which reminds me of the Sikhs Kirpan.

Egyptian

• sandals
  • shendyt
  • gold accents

Japanese

• Shoulder garb
  • topknot
  • stick through bun thingy

Roman / Greek

• physic , posture
  • god mythology

Edited by HandsomeMask

He looks undead. Thr Excecutors had smooth skin, golden eyes and perfect symmetry that creeps you out since it is impossible for humans to be 100% symmetrical. 

In the Synthesis tale of the Grineer rebellion, there is a description of white flowing robes.

In the Crewmen story the  7 are old but all very human in nature.

So this is something else. And as creepy as this is, like a zombie or vampire, it is not how I picture the Orokin. 

The only problem I have with this concept is that it throws out the window the point about Orokin obsession with symmetry. 

Majority of other objections look more like "it doesn't fit my headcanon/aesthetic preferences". 

It makes sense that Orokin beauty standards can be very different from our current ones.

Given how rapidly fashion changes, things that looked "royal knightly and masculine" in 2-3 hundred years end up looking "weird and gay", and what looked like "lowly dirty peasant" ends up as "cool guy and dudebro" in the eyes of mass audience unacquainted with the historical perspective of the dress observed.

And while generally it makes sense for artists of all times to adapt, for example, ancient character to their own contemporary beauty standards - to both make image more appealing and more understandable for potential viewer, in this case it was specifically pointed out that artist intentionally went against that approach.

Should I have censored the word "gay"? I have nothing against homosexual people, so I didn't, am I wrong?

Edited by Tachibana_Hibiki
Tried to make it a bit more clear.

Ok the only description of Orokin we have in game (the only one i found):

• Beauty
  • Symmetry
  • Golden eyes

And for some reason all people here think that when someone speaks about symmetry that they speak about body symmetry.

How about facial symmetry? One of the measurements for beauty.

If you never heard about facial symmetry before here a Wikipedia article for you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facial_symmetry

(I hate using Wikipedia as a source but i am too lazy to find something else)

Looks amazing! I like how they included various features and designs of nobility or deities from different cultures. It certainly is unique. 

To be honest I was expecting Ballas and orokins to look something like the council of krypton from man of steel:

11134120575_1edcbd0808_b.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

But I can definitely live with this design! Way more unique!

Well, it is certainly very eye-catching.

We still do not know if it is THE perfect Orokin look. First time I seen that concept, I was thinking that Ballas just woke up from a long nap and found out that time have not been kind to him. He looks horrified.

As for the blue skin and androgynous look... Can be explained as different standards of beauty. Black teeth was sexy in Japan not that long ago, if I am not mistaken. Let's not forget about foot binding in China. And some people do strange and not healthy things to their bodies now. All in the name of perfection. Only disproportions do not seem “Orokin” to me.

Now the skirt... I do not get the dislike for it. Not manly or looks too flippant for authority figure or is it giving the beach suit in the office vibe?

6 hours ago, Unus said:

Well, what if the high caste's immortality augmentations inevitably resulted in disfigurements that, if they were mentioned in any way anywhere, would have that person killed on the spot by a network monitoring Cephalon? Couple that with a mastery of holographic interfaces and the vast majorities' groveling reverence towards them and BOOM, The Great Lie, forever etched into history, even long after the perpetrators are long dead.

Ohhhhh, I like the idea. That toga can hide the hand pretty well.

1 hour ago, Sarcasm4Free said:

• Beauty
  • Symmetry
  • Golden eyes

And for some reason all people here think that when someone speaks about symmetry that they speak about body symmetry.

How about facial symmetry? One of the measurements for beauty.

Well, it is hard not to notice how asymmetrical the body on a concept art is. And body symmetry is one of the measurements of beauty too. I do not think that Orokin would go for a pretty face only if they could have a hole package.

6 minutes ago, rand0mname said:

Well, it is certainly very eye-catching.

We still do not know if it is THE perfect Orokin look. First time I seen that concept, I was thinking that Ballas just woke up from a long nap and found out that time have not been kind to him. He looks horrified.

As for the blue skin and androgynous look... Can be explained as different standards of beauty. Black teeth was sexy in Japan not that long ago, if I am not mistaken. Let's not forget about foot binding in China. And some people do strange and not healthy things to their bodies now. All in the name of perfection. Only disproportions do not seem “Orokin” to me.

Now the skirt... I do not get the dislike for it. Not manly or looks too flippant for authority figure or is it giving the beach suit in the office vibe?

Ohhhhh, I like the idea. That toga can hide the hand pretty well.

Well, it is hard not to notice how asymmetrical the body on a concept art is. And body symmetry is one of the measurements of beauty too. I do not think that Orokin would go for a pretty face only if they could have a hole package.

Correct as described by Keith regarding this concept art during the art panel the black teeth were of Japanese Heian influence and the blue skin is to resemble the Hindhu deities. 

9 hours ago, KisaPrime said:

Those are still not skin tight or look weird. So you picture ballas in a mini skin tight dress every time he talks? I would dislike it even if they had margulis in some skin tight mini dress. 

Do you even think about one simple thing, the scale ?

Maybe he had that classic toga, but since he looks totally distorded, maybe most of his body got bigger, ence the smaller looking toga.

Following your logic Hulk is a Village People because he wears tight shorts :clem:

Imo he tried to reach perfection, but just fcked up his body, and outfit

• Beauty
  • Symmetry
  • Golden eyes

(He was like that BEFORE, his eyes are corrupted and full white, it's simple to tell that the guy is not "natural" )

Edited by Xgomme

They switch bodies for a reason. Maybe he is old here and his body suffered from ageing or diseases. Maybe he has a reason (ethical?) to not perform this procedure which keeps Orokin alive and beautiful forever?

1 hour ago, Xgomme said:

Do you even think about one simple thing, the scale ?

Maybe he had that classic toga, but since he looks totally distorded, maybe most of his body got bigger, ence the smaller looking toga.

Following your logic Hulk is a Village People because he wears tight shorts :clem:

Imo he tried to reach perfection, but just fcked up his body, and outfit

• Beauty
  • Symmetry
  • Golden eyes

(He was like that BEFORE, his eyes are corrupted and full white, it's simple to tell that the guy is not "natural" )

What if there isn't a before? 

2 hours ago, GKDK said:

Looks amazing! I like how they included various features and designs of nobility or deities from different cultures. It certainly is unique. 

To be honest I was expecting Ballas and orokins to look something like the council of krypton from man of steel:

11134120575_1edcbd0808_b.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

But I can definitely live with this design! Way more unique!

I honestly figured Ballas would be more close to looking like this fan art. muPuCG3.png

JVTzhH4.png

10 hours ago, (Xbox One)FCastle74 said:

So this is about a stretch out arm? How do we know what time period the concept art is representative of? I think OP is full of conjectures, head cannon and hyperbole. We really don't know anything. Other than that tiny exertion that is vague at best. 

All symmetry is, is a law or operation in which physical property or process has an equivalence in two or more directions. Symmetry does not necessarily coincide or reflect aesthetics values. Furthermore I think Ballas looks great and I can't wait to learn more about him or it?!

Symmetry is symmetry, it's a clear concept and he does not have it on any direction in that concept art. However, I still stand by my argument that I love the design.

And I really like the idea of Orokin being able to stretch their arms on command, props to you that's brilliant.

Edited by Jeoxz
PS: The other concepts are too human-like.

I am not opposed to how he looks but I had not expected the man behind the voice to look like that. If that's what the Orokin considered perfection and beauty I can only imagine how the rest of them might have looked as well.