Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wall clinging kills riven challenge

LankesterMerrin

I just got my first riven mod, requiring me to get 19 kills while wall dashing or clinging without touching the ground.

After a few days of trying out different locations, it seems to me like the game has not really been adapted to this kind of stuff. It's almost as though these mods have been added without really making the game locations ready for the various challenges. Most of the time when trying solo missions, there are too few enemies around - even in survival infested missions, when doing them solo, enemies come at a trickle. In party mode, stuff dies too fast to get all 19...

Half the walls are not actual walls, but simply barriers that you cannot cling to and if you try, you end up aim gliding along. Or there are tiny virtually invisible ledges that reset your kill count. So in the end, the challenge here is not really what the mod is asking you to do, but instead finding a place where you can actually attempt it - where enough enemies spawn and where you have proper walls that you can use.

I know that there are frames that make this trivial, but for those of us who have started relatively recently, this is not always an option.

One way to help this would be adding a switch or alarm in some rooms that would start spawning more enemies. Obviously, not in exterminate missions, but survival runs could be used this way. And naturally, it would be really great if DE added plenty of walls which can actually be used for dashing and clinging.

Edited by LankesterMerrin

You can keep jumping from wall to wall during this time, as long as you don't hit the ground.

The cheese way is to play a mission with lot of enemy spawns and using a nuke frame that gets the kills immediately.

I don't know what frames you have but for example Rhino (your profile pic) can use stomp while wallclinging.

Edited by Naftal

Yeah, I know there are frames that make this challenge a piece of cake, like Ember - as a relatively new player, I am building mine now and in the meantime I've been trying out different locations with the couple of frames that I have.

However, the question of how the rest of the game is adapted to a new mechanic remains. It's as though there was a very narrow design view when this challenge was implemented, only looking at rivens and their interaction with weapons, slapping on a simple kill count condition, without looking at all the dependencies behind. Like updating the environment to support this kind of challenges in the first place.

The fact that half the missions are not really suitable (too narrow tunnels, low ceilings), that many types of walls don't support this, that solo missions spawn 4-6 enemies max (and with noticeable pause between waves - even in survival missions), that the kill count resets randomly due to a tiny ledge somewhere along your path - that is the main issue.

What I'm saying is that this kind of additions to the game should be prepared more carefully, taking a good look at all the systems connected to it, not just the obvious ones - so that the challenge is what the riven challenge asks you to accomplish, as opposed to fruitlessly trying to find a place in the game where you can actually attempt it.

If you completed TWW, you should have Eris unlocked. Go to Akkad, start the mission, use any AoE Weapon (I use penta/secura penta with tether grenades) and wall jump up to the top while killing stuff. Ember/Octavia/Equinox/etc. can also clear it with ease.

Remember, you don't have to complete the mission. Just get your kills and leave.

15 minutes ago, LankesterMerrin said:

What I'm saying is that this kind of additions to the game should be prepared more carefully, taking a good look at all the systems connected to it, not just the obvious ones - so that the challenge is what the riven challenge asks you to accomplish, as opposed to fruitlessly trying to find a place in the game where you can actually attempt it.

I would say that all riven challenges are fine. Most are fairly easy (not a fan of X headshot kills in one aimglide). As has been mentioned previously, by the time you can run sorties you should have decent gear anyway. 

If the argument is along the lines of: I don't have suitable gear to do the riven, that is not DE's fault.

I used Ember, put on every mod I could find that increased wallhang time, and went to an infested survival on...Mercury or something. You can hop in a wall hang and re-grab for additional time, but cheap low-level enemies and World of Fire will do it handily. 

Took me a couple different missions to find one with a) actual clingable walls and b) a sufficient flood of enemies, though. The first two places I tried didn't actually have walls you could attach to. There is that consideration. Oh, and also, triggering World of Fire before you get on the wall can wipe out enough nearby enemies that you won't get to 19 before your wallhang runs out. 

Edited by (XB1)CannyJack

wall clinging is actually one of the easier ones imo....

as much as I dislike ember's wof this is one of those times where it actually works well. 

Zenistar, plus speed nova, is another options if you've been around long enough... usually use akkad for the level 30+ too.

Once you have Ember done it will be easy. I'm trying to do a level 30 defense without the objective taking damage and using a bleed key. On the last round an infested with aura jumped through my ice bubble and landed squarely on the objective.

4 hours ago, Wylph said:

Once you have Ember done it will be easy. I'm trying to do a level 30 defense without the objective taking damage and using a bleed key. On the last round an infested with aura jumped through my ice bubble and landed squarely on the objective.

Akkad, a load of energy pads, resonating quake banshee... make sure you trigger sonar and silence before you do the level as it helps keep them away and shows you where the ancient is type of thing :)

On 9/7/2017 at 9:50 AM, LankesterMerrin said:

I just got my first riven mod, requiring me to get 19 kills while wall dashing or clinging without touching the ground.

After a few days of trying out different locations, it seems to me like the game has not really been adapted to this kind of stuff. It's almost as though these mods have been added without really making the game locations ready for the various challenges. Most of the time when trying solo missions, there are too few enemies around - even in survival infested missions, when doing them solo, enemies come at a trickle. In party mode, stuff dies too fast to get all 19...

Half the walls are not actual walls, but simply barriers that you cannot cling to and if you try, you end up aim gliding along. Or there are tiny virtually invisible ledges that reset your kill count. So in the end, the challenge here is not really what the mod is asking you to do, but instead finding a place where you can actually attempt it - where enough enemies spawn and where you have proper walls that you can use.

I know that there are frames that make this trivial, but for those of us who have started relatively recently, this is not always an option.

One way to help this would be adding a switch or alarm in some rooms that would start spawning more enemies. Obviously, not in exterminate missions, but survival runs could be used this way. And naturally, it would be really great if DE added plenty of walls which can actually be used for dashing and clinging.

Maybe you don't have the right frame or equipment for that one yet. As a new player, understanding that some things are endgame, or at least more towards endgame - like rivens, means you may have to keep that one in your inventory for a little while until you get the frame/weapon/skill you need to unlock it. Not everything in the entire game can be done by a relatively new player and that is the way it should be.