Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

forget Archwing for PoE, it's time to bring on the mounts!

Mak_Gohae

Never seen so many people be against the idea of having more than one mode of transportation in an open world. Maybe it's because you all have never played an open world game before.

There is nothing wrong with having a variety of means of transportation. IMO, there is something very wrong when an open world experience doesn't offer several ways of approaching a mission or objective. That's part of what open world is all about. Having some kind of land-based mount won't trivialize archwings. And there can be advantages and disadvantages to choosing land-based or air-based modes of transportation. Perhaps you can fly and move faster with an archwing, but you're prone to being shot out the sky by Grineer air defense systems. Or you can move slower, on a land-based mode of transportation (a mount or a vehicle), and naturally avoid Grineer air defense systems. Or, maybe you can brave infiltrating or completely clearing out an enemy base or encampment and can hijack a Grineer vehicle (like a Dargyn or Ogma). The point is, PoE can and should have options. Without options, any open world experience gets boring very quickly. Seems like most of you here don't understand that.

I don't think we should ever be riding Kubrows or Kavats or MOAs, but DE already has the Golden Maw, so we could see some Orokin mechanical creatures like that. I mean, Horizon Zero Dawn made it work.

Just imagine a Golden Maw-like creature. Not just a snake-like one, but other animal-like ones. And it could require us using Transference to activate and use.

And besides, there should be Orokin stuff in the Plains. It's kinda boring that there's only Sentient stuff there.

2 hours ago, Saraphys said:

Archwing lets you fly... 3-Dimensional spatial movement.
Why would you want a genetically engineered horse? or a hover-bike? or a Grineer Segway? That seems like a step backwards :/

I'll agree with bad4youLT, in that Archwing does need some more love...
As it stands, Im the only one in my clan who LIKES to play Archwing missions :/

Why have open world games with both cars/trucks/bikes/motorcycles and helicopters/planes?

Answer that question, and you answer the question of why someone would want more than just Archwings as an option.

Edited by A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n

2 hours ago, DatDarkOne said:

Hmmmm, seems to me that OP is trying to bring Destiny aspects into Warframe.  LOL  It's just not needed for all the reasons said above.  :D

Destiny didnt invent mounts, they have bikes, right?. I wasnt even thinking of Destiny cause i dont play it. I dont know if they got mounts in D2.

2 hours ago, (PS4)watt4hem said:

But yeah, unless the mount can beat a volt on energy crack/itzal blinkin/nova teleporting/any warframe with experience in parkouring, i'd say they'd be useless as a fish on land.

not everyone has everything on top of it being super forma to do all these stuff.

1 minute ago, Mak_Gohae said:

Destiny didnt invent mounts, they have bikes, right?. I wasnt even thinking of Destiny cause i dont play it. I dont know if they got mounts in D2.

Destiny has hover bikes.  I only said Destiny because it's always compared to Warframe and vice/versa regardless of them being quite different.  Me personally, I view Destiny and it's sequel to be subpar copies of Borderlands 2.  :D

1 hour ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

Why have open world games with both cars/trucks/bikes/motorcycles and helicopters/planes?

Answer that question, and you answer the question of why someone would want more than just Archwings as an option.

Eh, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't DE say that this ISN'T an open world update?

1 minute ago, Avenwing said:

Eh, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't DE say that this ISN'T an open world update?

DE can call it an open "landscape" instead of an open world for the rest of Warframe's life cycle, but it's an open world. Regardless, my question still stands.

4 minutes ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

DE can call it an open "landscape" instead of an open world for the rest of Warframe's life cycle, but it's an open world. Regardless, my question still stands.

Honestly, I'd rather not see this go the typical MMO route of tons of crazy different mounts that are all effectively the same with slightly different ground speeds and a different coat of paint. Keep it simple and stick with Archwings.

1 hour ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

I'll try my hand at this one.  Outside of ArchWings, are there any other riding/mount options that would be faster than the slowest bulletjumping/parkour/sliding Warframe?  Anything else in my honest opinion would just be wasted effort by DE to implement.  

Let's take Saint's Row IV as an example.  Once you unlock your super powers, how often to you even bother with any of the vehicles other than the very cool looking flying one.  All of the other vehicles in the game lose all purpose once you have your powers.  This would be the same issue for us in our Warframes.  

5 hours ago, Avenwing said:

Honestly, I'd rather not see this go the typical MMO route of tons of crazy different mounts that are all effectively the same with slightly different ground speeds and a different coat of paint. Keep it simple and stick with Archwings.

That's not an MMO route. That's an open world route. First of all, MMO =/= open world. That seems to be a common mistake here. Second, what you think is typical of MMOs is merely typical of open world games. Third, if you think only having one mode of transportation is sufficient for an open world experience, then you're mistaken and you simply don't understand open world experiences. The entire selling point of Plains of Eidolon, and why everyone outside of the Warframe community sees PoE as open world, is the open world-like nature of this expansion. Why players here are so insistent on keeping out typical open world features is baffling to me, and the only thing I can think of to explain that is that you all aren't actually familiar with open world games and what makes them appealing. Part of what makes them appealing is that, in many ways, they're sandbox experiences, where you have a lot of tools and options to play around with. And that's not only what makes open world appealing, but what ultimately makes it work and makes open world games replayable. And it keeps them from becoming stale.

5 hours ago, DatDarkOne said:

I'll try my hand at this one.  Outside of ArchWings, are there any other riding/mount options that would be faster than the slowest bulletjumping/parkour/sliding Warframe?  Anything else in my honest opinion would just be wasted effort by DE to implement.  

Let's take Saint's Row IV as an example.  Once you unlock your super powers, how often to you even bother with any of the vehicles other than the very cool looking flying one.  All of the other vehicles in the game lose all purpose once you have your powers.  This would be the same issue for us in our Warframes.  

Once you have one OP Warframe, why try others? Once you have the strongest primary, secondary, and melee weapons, why try others? Beyond the mastery benefits, what's the point? Everything else becomes mastery fodder, right?

When you give players more options, then they will explore those options and will use those options, even if something else is stronger. Not only that, but if there would be a trade off for using archwings, like very aggressive surface to air missiles that have a wide radar range, then you'd have more of a reason to sometimes not use archwings. Diversity in gameplay is good.

EDIT: What about this is confusing? Have you never played a game with multiple options/tools for doing things?

I can see in the future the Grineer and Corpus bringing in ground based light armor (buggies, bikes, hummers) and heavy armor (tanks, APCs) that we might be able to hijack and utilize. Beyond that, I don't think we'll be saddling up when we can just call down our wings or bullet-bunny jump across the landscape.  Any other vehicle would have to justify its existence with unique weapons and attributes.

Just now, Littleman88 said:

I can see in the future the Grineer and Corpus bringing in ground based light armor (buggies, bikes, hummers) and heavy armor (tanks, APCs) that we might be able to hijack and utilize. Beyond that, I don't think we'll be saddling up when we can just call down our wings or bullet-bunny jump across the landscape.  Any other vehicle would have to justify its existence with unique weapons and attributes.

how about 6 Anti-Air missiles?

go7Fkxy.jpg

4 minutes ago, Littleman88 said:

Considering we'll have Archwing and the enemy will have their flight craft... there BETTER be manned AA batteries we can utilize in a pinch.  Not that we'd need them with the power behind our hand guns, but y'know... options.

Yeah I was about to say, firepower isn't everything. Driving around the Plains in a buggy would be simpler than spamming Bullet Jump but not so easy that it would completely trivialize the act of traversing the Plains in the same way Archwing might. It should strike a balance between the two, that would make it fun.

Edited by Legion-Shields

@A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n, the problem would be that... where else could we use them? Maybe DE can add them when they give us more landscapes, but as of right now... with only one, its not something we need since the Archwing fills the role of transport and attack.

Maybe in future ones they might be needed. I can imagine Mars' Landscape having Events like Sandstorms that make the use of the Archwing dangerous and we have to transverse either on foot or by ground vehicle. Or Ceres with its toxic storm and lightining bolts being too hazardous for flight during bigger storms.

Those are more options and those are good, a good idea for future content, but as of right now... its not needed.

Lets keep them in mind, thought.

5 hours ago, Kaotyke said:

@A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n, the problem would be that... where else could we use them? Maybe DE can add them when they give us more landscapes, but as of right now... with only one, its not something we need since the Archwing fills the role of transport and attack.

Maybe in future ones they might be needed. I can imagine Mars' Landscape having Events like Sandstorms that make the use of the Archwing dangerous and we have to transverse either on foot or by ground vehicle. Or Ceres with its toxic storm and lightining bolts being too hazardous for flight during bigger storms.

Those are more options and those are good, a good idea for future content, but as of right now... its not needed.

Lets keep them in mind, thought.

That's not the point. The point isn't about whether or not they're needed. Honestly, archwing isn't needed. If we're being perfectly honest, Plains of Eidolon is not necessary for Warframe. So what? The point is that having diverse gameplay options is part of what makes open world successful. Beyond that, it's satisfying to drive vehicles in games, or to ride mounts in games.

4 hours ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

Never seen so many people be against the idea of having more than one mode of transportation in an open world. Maybe it's because you all have never played an open world game before.

There is nothing wrong with having a variety of means of transportation. IMO, there is something very wrong when an open world experience doesn't offer several ways of approaching a mission or objective. That's part of what open world is all about. Having some kind of land-based mount won't trivialize archwings. And there can be advantages and disadvantages to choosing land-based or air-based modes of transportation. Perhaps you can fly and move faster with an archwing, but you're prone to being shot out the sky by Grineer air defense systems. Or you can move slower, on a land-based mode of transportation (a mount or a vehicle), and naturally avoid Grineer air defense systems. Or, maybe you can brave infiltrating or completely clearing out an enemy base or encampment and can hijack a Grineer vehicle (like a Dargyn or Ogma). The point is, PoE can and should have options. Without options, any open world experience gets boring very quickly. Seems like most of you here don't understand that.

I don't think we should ever be riding Kubrows or Kavats or MOAs, but DE already has the Golden Maw, so we could see some Orokin mechanical creatures like that. I mean, Horizon Zero Dawn made it work.

Just imagine a Golden Maw-like creature. Not just a snake-like one, but other animal-like ones. And it could require us using Transference to activate and use.

And besides, there should be Orokin stuff in the Plains. It's kinda boring that there's only Sentient stuff there.

You do realize getting into the earth tower with a fixed giant layout, exploring more and more sections of it and gasp maybe even finding a backup database which sheds some light on some of the forgotten history, is probably going to be the next big thing for eidolon next year, right? Might make sense to hold back the "techno creatures" until the tower is breached. 

2 minutes ago, Fylas said:

You do realize getting into the earth tower with a fixed giant layout, exploring more and more sections of it and gasp maybe even finding a backup database which sheds some light on some of the forgotten history, is probably going to be the next big thing for eidolon next year, right? Might make sense to hold back the "techno creatures" until the tower is breached. 

I'd rather we get such creatures in an open world environment, and not in yet another enclosed, cave-like, maze-like tileset, which any tower would inevitably be.