Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ocean fish spawns nerfed?

Ketec

I had a feeling that this was a thing now. Couldn't get more than 2 lungfish to spawn during night and they are supposed to be common while it's dark wth DE. 

Baits also don't work for me. They actually do the opposite of what they are supposed to do.

Just now, Arrectius said:

Well, to be fair, fishing was way too rewarding comparing to mining, and getting standing from fishing was quite easy, i wont be surprised if they just nerfed it to make it "fair".

So because mining feels unrewarding but fishing doesn't, lets nerf fishing? I could also see them doing this but I definitely hope they haven't. 

Just now, Retchid said:

Just caught 22 fish missed about the same in ocean around large Grineer camp and pond nearby- no dye or bait was used was on public and fire fights going on around and had to kill more than a few Grineer and Flying machines in the process. - about 20 mins in total.

Myth busted - not nerfed or bugged

You're clearly in the minority, so unfortunately your myth claim proves nothing. 

My suspicions in regards to current bugs and/or stealthnerfs and/or hidden mechanics of fishing:

• Suspicion: Baits now last longer (as per the hotfix), however, fish seem to spawn waaaay slower. Only upside is, if you are lucky, you can at least get more fish per bait (got 6 Norgs from one bait, never was that lucky before). However...
  • Suspicion: ...baits seem to be even LESS "guaranteed" than they used to be. Even doing 100% perfect baits can equal to 0 fish of the bait you have thrown in. Not fun.
  • Suspicion: If you take away your spear (to, for example, kill pesky grineer / smallfrydolons), whatever bait you had thrown seens to become wasted. Try to tank and dodge the enemy as long as you can to avoid wasted baits! (This point is SO annoying, especially since we can't use our abilities while a fishing spear is equipped... this kind of feels intended -.-)
  • Suspicion: If you throw in a bait in a hotspot, then the hotspot disappears midbait, the bait seems to stop working too. Only use baits on fresh hotspots, is my recommendation.
  • Suspicion/bug: Due to the vagueness of how baits work, I dunno if this is a bug or intended: If you throw in a bait at a hotspot, the bait might last its entire lifetime, then even sink to the bottom and disappear with no baitspawns. But then, AFTER the bait is completely gone, the baited fish appears. This happens to me occassionally, causing me to be VERY patient with bait useage.
  • Bug: Fish can be entirely invisible (even invisible with the dye aura active). This also doesn't help the low spawn rates, because these bugged spawns seem to take up spawn capacity.
  • Bug: Fish can spawn, then almost immediately despawn. Annoying as hek.
  • Bug: Fish can spawn entirely docile. Not a bad bug though :P
  • Bug: Fish seem to sometimes paralyze after having been scared. Occassionally, they snap out of it and jet away real quick.
  • Bug: Fish can swim (or even spawn) deep inside land. We have all encountered this one, haven't we? :D

2 hours ago, Arrectius said:

Well, to be fair, fishing was way too rewarding comparing to mining, and getting standing from fishing was quite easy, i wont be surprised if they just nerfed it to make it "fair".

Mining was quite too ***ty.

And both are quite horrible still, especially without a resource booster. From now on I won't fish or mine without it. To get 10-20k standing you have to spend a whole hour usually at night (whcih means hey no focus for you, later those ~100k) fishing and considering rare fish is too rare and requre common to craft baits I wouldn't really trade it for standing either, usually just dump 50-100 lungfish and that's all.

Everything except Quills in plains still suck *** in a matter of standing. Something just suck less.

Edited by -Temp0-

20 minutes ago, -Temp0- said:

Mining was quite too ***ty.

And both are quite horrible still, especially without a resource booster. From now on I won't fish or mine without it. To get 10-20k standing you have to spend a whole hour usually at night (whcih means hey no focus for you, later those ~100k) fishing and considering rare fish is too rare and requre common to craft baits I wouldn't really trade it for standing either, usually just dump 50-100 lungfish and that's all.

Everything except Quills in plains still suck *** in a matter of standing. Something just suck less.

Eh, i could fish murkrays for half hour and cap my 25k reputation before, idk how is that considered bad. Mining, the thing that he only accepts jewels things and the are piced less than fishes is what i think is bad compared to fishing. I could mine for 3 hours and i dont think i can get the cap with it.

Just now, Arrectius said:

Eh, i could fish murkrays for half hour and cap my 25k reputation before, idk how is that considered bad. Mining, the thing that he only accepts jewels things and the are piced less than fishes is what i think is bad compared to fishing. I could mine for 3 hours and i dont think i can get the cap with it.

Read. It's not hard.

Murkray requires other fish to craft it's bait + funny how tralok now seems to be more rare even with the bait used than murkray. And all fish is important because of fish oil first and foremost if you're farming eidolon at all because you have to use archwing. And even if you ONLY use it for eidolons, you will burn it fast.

And with mining seeing how tedious it is and even more boring I don't see wny you would trade it for standing at all since you need most of the stones to build stuff too.

Having to spend resources for standing was very much flawed to begin with and shouldn't be a thing.

1 hour ago, -Temp0- said:

Read. It's not hard.

Murkray requires other fish to craft it's bait + funny how tralok now seems to be more rare even with the bait used than murkray. And all fish is important because of fish oil first and foremost if you're farming eidolon at all because you have to use archwing. And even if you ONLY use it for eidolons, you will burn it fast.

And with mining seeing how tedious it is and even more boring I don't see wny you would trade it for standing at all since you need most of the stones to build stuff too.

Having to spend resources for standing was very much flawed to begin with and shouldn't be a thing.

I agree with you, the spending resources for standing shouldnt be a thing. However is way faster getting rep through fishing than doing those bounties, like there is no comparison, i can cap in about 50 - 1hour of fishing. While i have to spent like 3 cycles to cap from bounties.

I also do agree with the spawn rate of tralok, looks like it has been reduced. Also about the oil, since you see i do my reputation through fishing i have nearly 2.8k oil atm, well this is just my experience on the matter. I do hunt eidolon as well, but just for 1 or 2 cycles to cap quills and thats it.

All you have to do is throw the bait into a hotspot... The little ripples in the water indicate there is a hotspot nearby. And no you dont need to throw it on the ripple all you have to do is throw it in the range were the ripples keep popping up. If there are no more ripples its best to move further down the coast line, where you will find other hotspots.

So Mortus and Tralok? I have yet to check whether their spawns decreased, it just felt too easy getting so much fish with the Smeeta buff. (easily 60-80 or more including large ones under 30 mins)

I advise anyone fishing to use a Smeeta, especially if this is true.

I find it hard to believe it is a nerf, as there are a limit to how much rep, you can get for the fish a day.

Beside, I believe it is easy to lower the rep for the fish, then limit the number of spawns.

Think more it is a error, that come with the last update.

I noticed even common fish spawns decreased.

On my favorite pond around the geyser I used to get reliable spawns without any bait, when spawns stopped I was simply jumping over to nearby stone and continue fishing until spawns there seemed to slow down considerably, then rinse and repeat.

Now three fishing sessions in a row I encounter almost the same situation: upon just starting fishing two large common fishes spawn, after they are caught, spawns stop completely and changing fishing spot (or even fishing biome) doesn't help as if spawns are on account-wide cooldown - no water splashes, no nothing. Five or so minutes later small fish starts spawning again, but only 2-3 fishies, then nothing again.

Throwing bait in hotspots doesn't seem to do anything.

Hotspots keep appearing, bait is there, I'm aiming the spear right at it from very close to water, but NOTHING spawns, not even small common fish.

No sound cues even, just dead empty waters with ghost hotspots.

In my opinion, the special baits feel 50-70% less effective. Before hotfix 22.1.1, fishes would spawn in waves of 2-5 every 2-3 mins. And it used to at least spawn 2-5 special fish per bait if I threw it correctly into the hotspots and normal fishes would rarely spawn while the bait is active. 

But now I barely get 1-2 special fish to spawn per bait. The normal fishes continue to spawn along with the baited ones which brings me to believe they diluted the special fish spawns rates. Sure, the baits visually lasts longer but seem to be less useful.

Also, today is the 1st time I see Cuthol parts being sold for plat from the fisherman in cetus. Previously only non-special fish parts were sold and you have to create baits to farm the special fishes. Weird coincidence?

I got about the same amount of Mortus and slightly less Tralok than usual, might have been just my luck though, i spent about an hour for Mortus and barely an half hour for Tralok because i had to stop due to a Catalyst alert.

To me it seems like confirmation bias though the relative scarcity of Tralok was a bit odd. (all in the same spots as before the update)