Question

24 answers to this question

depending of the definition of tank of course

Rhino

Valky

Inaros

Into the tank linked to specific ability

Wukong 

Limbo ( while in the rift nothing outside the rift can touch you )

Area protection/control tank

Frost

depends of what you are looking for ^.^ 

those are just few exemples

Edited by trunks013

2 minutes ago, trunks013 said:

depending of the definition of tank of course

Rhino

Valky

Inaros

Into the tank linked to specific ability

Wukong 

Limbo ( while in the rift nothing outside the rift can touch you )

Area protection/control tank

Frost

depends of what you are looking for ^.^ 

those are just few exemples

Don't forget Nidus.

basic tank is rhino if you dont want any cc

damage mitigation is valkyr although you will get one shot if you are not careful

balance between rhino and valkyr is chroma and what i consider the best tank specially with arcane grace set

inaros and nidus are good too, just not on par with damage mitigation of valkyr and chroma which is 100% and 98%

There's also hamster-ball-of-doom Nyx  

That's who I pull out if I want to punch Juggernauts in the face.  

And no, I don't use Zenurik or have Arcane Energize.  Just move around a lot to pick up orbs and add a weapon that gives you a syndicate proc for the energy.

And if you're thinking 'But in the absorb bubble she's so SLOW'... Use the fastest combat maneuvers you to dart around the map.  Like this

Frames that can take damage well in no particular order....

• Nidus
  • Trinity
  • Gara
  • Mesa
  • Rhino
  • Chroma
  • Inaros
  • Nekros
  • Valkyr
  • Wukong

Some of these frames avoid damage in addition to being able to take punishment so best would result in the player's performance.

Some frames also have weaknesses that will overcome their ability to eat damage. So the faction plays a big part.

2 hours ago, FreeWilliam said:

There's also hamster-ball-of-doom Nyx  

That's who I pull out if I want to punch Juggernauts in the face.  

And no, I don't use Zenurik or have Arcane Energize.  Just move around a lot to pick up orbs and add a weapon that gives you a syndicate proc for the energy.

And if you're thinking 'But in the absorb bubble she's so SLOW'... Use the fastest combat maneuvers you to dart around the map.  Like this

^This all day.  It's the exact combination I use for Nyx also.  Silva & Aegis with Final Harbinger stance to move around faster while in Assimilate.  :D

15 minutes ago, DatDarkOne said:

^This all day.  It's the exact combination I use for Nyx also.  Silva & Aegis with Final Harbinger stance to move around faster while in Assimilate.  :D

She makes it VERY fun to play with mobility in melee stances, doesn't she?  And Arcane Fury is WAY cheaper than Arcane Energize...and attack speed = movement = more bad guys = more energy orb drops and more syndicate procs (If Silva & Aegis had Entropy or Blight instead of Justice that'd be my go-to... I find myself darting off of cliffs a lot with the Obex...but it's so FUN!)

I use Healing Return and am Naramon so half the time I just charge into nullifiers, let them pop me, punch the nullifier through the floor (love that crazy fast knockdown finisher when all the speed boosts are hitting!), and go back to her bubble. She spends a TON of time with a 4x combo counter at least and popping the her just speeds her up.

I like to think the bad guys realize their plans backfired on them. :)

I'm not sure if she's my BEST tank, but she's darn fun!

Edited by FreeWilliam

There's different styles of tanking, all of which though requires energy

Rhino: Tanks through extra armor and health

Inaros: Tanks through a ton more HP than any other frame + a ton of healing

Valkyr: Tanks through frequent phases of invulnerability

Wukong: Tanks through instant infinite revives

Oberon: Isn't a "tank" but does give the rest of your squad constant healing, making everyone more "tanky"

Trinity: Similar to Oberon in the sense that she has infinite healing

Limbo: Tanks through being literally untouchable

Chroma: Tanks by gaining a ton of armor

Frost: Tanks by snow globing the hell out of an area

Nidus: Tanks by constant HP regen

I would include Loki and Ivara but although their survivability rivals tanks, their survivability doesn't come from tanking anything

Just note that most of these if not all can be easily cucked by nullies

My favorite tank is Wukong. If built right, you can go afk for a few minutes and come back still kicking.
Only problem with him which is the same problem all other tanks face is nullifiers, forcing wukong to recast his 2 which is no problem.

Only other thing to mention is do to how wukongs Defy works you should recast it every one in a while say every 8? defied deaths as every time you defy death you get a portion of your health back and that portion keeps getting smaller, but recasting fixes that. but you dont even need to do this unless you notice you're running out of energy.

Also his 3 makes him completely invulnerable, can fly, and pass thru mobs but cant attack. It has its uses; like getting out of a hell of a room.

Wukong is also quite nice if you like melee. when building for his 2 its easy to slot on some extra range for his 4 without loosing eff.

Wukong because he's immortal and all you have to do for it is toggle Defy every couple of minutes. Nidus is also immortal, but you need to work a bit more for it by building stacks. Inaros is immortal too, but he has to interrupt gameplay to come back from the dead. Oberon can only come back once every 90sec. 

Most of the other tank frames have strong tanks and/or damage mitigation, but cannot come back from the dead on their own.

No one makes it easier to not die than Wukong...but honorable mention goes to Limbo for also being totally unkillable in the rift, not outside though. 

As you're new, I'd recommend Rhino. He takes the least modding to get to an excellent state, and unlike many other tanks he is very straightforward, as he benefits instantly from the armor his 2 gives him. Rhino is also available very early, with his parts dropping from the boss on Venus.

Another good early tank is Inaros, as he has quite a lot of innate HP and armor, and unlike Rhino he can naturally heal back what damage he takes. Using his kit effectively takes more work and knowledge of the game than many other early Frames, though, so keep that in mind.

Edited by EmissaryOfInfinity

In summary...

There is no 'BEST' tank frame (and tanking's probably not the right phrase implies some taunting and/or being able to get the bad guys to focus on you...and that's not really viable in most situations in Warframe), but there are a number of frames with a ton of survivability.  You can be pretty weird and STILL find one that suits your playstyle!

I think the question should be 'What's the frame that I'll enjoy diving into the middle of the fray with?', does that feel good to everyone? It's more of about being disruptive and diving into the action without other people having to bother to rez you IMHO. :)

So...that in mind, let's go through the list one-by-one (If anyone has corrections I'll go back and edit so nobody gets the wrong ideas!  I obviously can't know everything about every frame!)

Ash - Not super tanky, but invisibility is very useful for keeping on your feet.

Atlas - Alphabetically, the first tanky feeling frame.  Also, an AWESOME frame for punching Juggernauts until they melt.  Don't underestimate his passive...you'll be standing up looking at Rhino on his back more often than not. :)

Banshee - I don't Banshee much...does anybody have any thoughts here?

Chroma - Tanky by design.  Worth extra mention is the fact that when you change his energy color you can change how he operates.  Ice is VERY popular, but I've had fun with all four. 

Ember - Not tanky...but I just got mine and ...well, everyone spends a lot of time lying down or not attacking me with how she can be modded, so yesterday I'd have said she's totally not a tank frame...now I'm wondering if you can pull this off with anyone (especially with the power of mods like Health Conversion)

Equinox - Not tanky, but sometimes I feel that way when I'm in spiderweb mode.  Also...you can have a TON of fun with Duality.

Excalibur - Kind of the prototype DPS fighter in my old D&D brain.  Great mix of range and surviveability. 

Frost - A pretty good mix!  I think of him as more defensive, but I was just in a survival with a guy who had an efficiency build that was just bubbling and diving into the middle of it.  Interesting tactic!

Gara - Very tanky if you up your power strength!

Harrow - I haven't played him enough...I see potential though!

Hydroid - A surprisingly good mix.  Health Conversion works extra well, I usually have three spinning polygons and 450 armor with him when he needs it.

Inaros - This one's kind of obvious.  He teaches you how to steal life (or at least that's how I like to play him...he's pretty comfy to keep topped off), and the sandstorm is a good 'oh crap' button, especially with radiation and the elemental sandstorm mod. (I've noticed it keeps him alive longer exactly when I needed it)

Ivara - Not a tank, but like Ash and Loki you have invisibility.  Unlike Ash and Loki it's a toggle.  It tends to go away when the AOE starts flying though because damage hurts your power.  Doesn't seem like Rage compensates, but I haven't tested fully.

Limbo - Not a tank, but if you make him tanky he can be a monster in melee. I wish people didn't grump about the bullet time in Cataclysm because every time I see a Limbo doing that I just pull out the melee and dive into the bubble or start hunting nullifiers. DE put a LOT of work into him and the fact that they managed to make that work at ALL is pretty amazing.  I respect what they did.

Loki - Not a tank in the same way Ash isn't, but Radial Blind+Invisibility sure does help!

Mag - Not a tank...anyone good enough with her prove me wrong? :)

Mesa - I've barely played her (why have I barely played her? What's wrong with me?). 

Mirage - Not a tank, but she sure can make a mess out of the battlefield!

Nekros - I'd say 'not a tank', but I went the despoil route and started chopping up my own corpses in melee...if you feed off of all the orbs he generates you can stay in the middle of the action until you start getting one-shotted.  The mod for the pets helps!  You do feel like you're on the brink of death for a while until you fall apart...because you ARE. I'ts like the Inaros strategy, except you kill for orbs instead of directly getting life.

Nezha - Fast AND tanky!  His defense is actually a lot like Rhinos even though he's a tiny little dude. :) Don't underestimate his potential!

Nidus - His powers make him VERY solid, especially as you build up stacks. May not be my favorite frame to melee with, but I can't deny his approach is pretty effective...'suck the bad guys into a ball, get a few stacks, then gas-proc the ball into oblivion. 

Nova - Not really tanky, but with power strength her defenses are better than I expected!

Nyx - She was my first 'omg, she can TANK too?' class.  When that bombard rocket knocks everyone off their feet, you'll be standing next to Atlas in your hamster ball of doom.

Oberon - I haven't played him enough...but I won't write off his potential

Octavia - Totally not a tank.  She was why I looked for somebody who could.  She's amazing though!  Also, four-Octavia PUGs are hilarious and horrible all at once. 

Rhino - An easier to get and more popular frame that's got some Atlas parallels. His stomp is great CC and Ironskin makes him a beast.

Saryn - Not terribly tanky, but you learn to make her solid if you take advantage of her melee, and once you do she's not that far under the top tier.  With at least one playstayle you're motivated to tank.

Titania - I'm...not sure.  I don't think so, but I won't rush to judgement.

Trinity - She's actually really good in the middle of the fray. I did not expect that.

Valkyr - Total riot and with eternal war you're swinging like a maniac and helping the group too.  Great mix of sturdy and dangerous.

Vauban - Not a tank, but he's actually one of the frames that I like to support everyone else when the nullifiers swarm (they have to get all the way to the center to kill your bastille, 

Volt - Not a tank, but tanks LOVE you. 

Wukong - VERY solid frame!  Right up there with Atlas, Chroma, Nyx, and Rhino.  He's very versatile and brings a lot to the table. 

Zephyr - Not really tanky, but she's actually super good at keeping squishies alive and then getting out of dodge fast.  (1,1,2,ClemClemClem,ow,1!,1!)

That's all opinion of course, and I bet people have ways they can really tank up another frame.  Some are definitely better than others.  I tend to lean Nyx or Atlas because I don't like getting knocked down, but its' not like Valkyr can't bounce back just fine.  

When you're talking about who falls apart against 200+ level enemies then we're getting WAY past frames and into very specific modding scenarios. 

Edited by FreeWilliam

Banshee - I don't Banshee much...does anybody have any thoughts here?
not tanky at all, if you stop moving, or don't have a shield to soak, you die

Chroma - Tanky by design.  Worth extra mention is the fact that when you change his energy color you can change how he operates.  Ice is VERY popular, but I've had fun with all four. 
chroma can be immortal with some health regen, like the hirudo. He's my favorite tank. His vex armor is his best ability. He gains armor for shield damage taken, and damage for health damage taken. If modded for pure power str, you can get damage numbers in the absurd.

Gara - Very tanky if you up your power strength!
Gara only needs 135% power str (correct me if i'm wrong) for her glass armor to hit the 90% damage reduction cap. She is unkillable with a little health regen, and as long as you keep the armor up. I believe it can be cast over the original cast.

Harrow - I haven't played him enough...I see potential though!
harrow's 1 gives him shields per enemy you hit. He also has the largest overshields for all the frames. he can be very tanky while offering lots of dps for your team.

Mesa - I've barely played her (why have I barely played her? What's wrong with me?). 
Mesa's 2 and 3 when used together give her survivability. It does not work against explosion splash damage. Only direct damage. Her 2 causes enemy weapons to jam when you're close to them, and 3 is her damage reduction ability. They need to be up at all times.

Mirage - Not a tank, but she sure can make a mess out of the battlefield!
Mirage's 1 makes dopplegangers, it's not the best form of defense. You need to never stop moving, or you'll get hit once and die in harder content. Her 3 gives her a damage reduction while in the shade/darkness, and ridiculous damage boost while in the light. I would play mirage similarly to how i play banshee.

Nyx - She was my first 'omg, she can TANK too?' class.  When that bombard rocket knocks everyone off their feet, you'll be standing next to Atlas in your hamster ball of doom.
lots of folks will use 4 to make her unkillable. I actually build my nyx for CC. Hit 3, with max range and duration, and watch the enemies helplessly fight eachother. She doesn't need to be tanky when she can CC most of the map with a single button press.

Oberon - I haven't played him enough...but I won't write off his potential
Oberon is extremely tanky. He comes with a decent amount of armor, and his 2 and 3 add to his armor and group's overall tankiness. Unlike trinity, he doesn't need to link to enemies to take a hit. he can be very tanky, and his healing can be very powerful with combination of energy conversion and growing power combined.

Octavia - Totally not a tank.  She was why I looked for somebody who could.  She's amazing though!  Also, four-Octavia PUGs are hilarious and horrible all at once. 
Octavia doesn't need any health or armor... you hit 1, 3 and 4 and keep them up, and you will never die. Her 1 absorbs enemy fire and every enemy in the AOE of the ability will get damage. It scales infinitely. Her 3, you can use to be perma stealth, and her 4 gives damage boost to everyone and extra range to her 1.

Titania - I'm...not sure.  I don't think so, but I won't rush to judgement.
Titania's balloon ability makes enemies helplessly stare at it. Her 4 and other abilities make you hard to hit, and her 2 buffs you depend on what enemy you hit with it. She's solid. Not a tank, but has abilities to avoid damage.

Trinity - She's actually really good in the middle of the fray. I did not expect that.
trinity can be immortal. 3 keeping you linked to enemies, so you don't take much damage. Or use 2 for energy, and 4 to maintain damage reduction up to 75%. She can be very tanky when used in combination of her link.

Valkyr - Total riot and with eternal war you're swinging like a maniac and helping the group too.  Great mix of sturdy and dangerous.
You use 2 with eternal war, and melee everything. She has like 1700+ armor when built correctly. She takes very little damage. And when you need to heal, hit 4 and wail away.

Volt - Not a tank, but tanks LOVE you. 
Keep moving, play him like you would banshee

Wukong - VERY solid frame!  Right up there with Atlas, Chroma, Nyx, and Rhino.  He's very versatile and brings a lot to the table.
He's immortal. Rage + 2, never die. Recast when safe. He's probably the most boring frame IMO. But to each their own. It's also pretty hard getting a good fashion frame going on him.

8 minutes ago, plasmox said:

Harrow - I haven't played him enough...I see potential though!
harrow's 1 gives him shields per enemy you hit. He also has the largest overshields for all the frames. he can be very tanky while offering lots of dps for your team.

He's quickly becoming my main melee/channeling frame.  Nekros and Trinity are also good, but with him the energy drain is perfectly in sync with the channeling!  It's very cool. :)

11 minutes ago, plasmox said:

[NYX] lots of folks will use 4 to make her unkillable. I actually build my nyx for CC. Hit 3, with max range and duration, and watch the enemies helplessly fight eachother. She doesn't need to be tanky when she can CC most of the map with a single button press.

I just love the versatility.  Can't stand the bubble without absorb and VERY high attack speed and a very mobile stance though.  I don't have Arcane Energize or anything and lean Naramon over Zenurik.  I tend to use CC to keep everyone else alive, and go into my murder bubble when that's not an issue.

13 minutes ago, plasmox said:

Octavia doesn't need any health or armor... you hit 1, 3 and 4 and keep them up, and you will never die. Her 1 absorbs enemy fire and every enemy in the AOE of the ability will get damage. It scales infinitely. Her 3, you can use to be perma stealth, and her 4 gives damage boost to everyone and extra range to her 1.

Oh, she's like...the queen of defense missions for me.  She's how I became unafraid to go into the 100s when I was first cutting my teeth because of how well mallet scales...but honestly I find keeping up the perma-stealth kind of like work and she definitely isn't who I go to when I think 'dive into the fray' :)

Awesome frame though!

15 minutes ago, plasmox said:

Oberon is extremely tanky. He comes with a decent amount of armor, and his 2 and 3 add to his armor and group's overall tankiness. Unlike trinity, he doesn't need to link to enemies to take a hit. he can be very tanky, and his healing can be very powerful with combination of energy conversion and growing power combined.

Noted and thanks!  I'm probably going to be diving into Harrow for a while, but sounds like Oberon's next...well, unless the cat lady frame comes out next (An exalted whip stance AND a pet?  Are they making her for me?)

16 minutes ago, plasmox said:

He's immortal. Rage + 2, never die. Recast when safe. He's probably the most boring frame IMO. But to each their own. It's also pretty hard getting a good fashion frame going on him.

He's actually pretty good for 'exploring weapons you neglected' too.  I agree he feels less fun if you always bring your best loadout, but somebody told me they made it a habit to equip at least ONE weapon they didn't use much with him and I started doing the same thing...it's funny how well that works!

On 11/7/2017 at 2:16 AM, nickelshark said:

Rhino is the beefiest tank by far. Requires a certain build but getting the insane ehp requires very little setup and is easy to do. Chroma is also a good tank but again requires a good setup. Inaros and valkyr aren't as tanky but good with a basic setup.

Chroma is tankier than rhino.

Don't overthink this.  It's Wukong.  As long as he has energy, he cannot die.  Try shooting a Kulstar three times at your feet with any other frame and see what happens.

If energy is an issue, Inaros isn't the tankiest but he can use his tankiness with no energy.

For beginning players without a complete mod collection, Rhino works right out of the box, no primed or corrupted mods or forma necessary.