The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What is the purpose of the Gilding system?

Oreades

I've been thinking more and more about finally taking the plunge and gringing out a Zaw but I really don't understand the "benefits" of the gilding system. 

Since the second you craft your Zaw it is forever locked into that configuration it is effectively finalized right off the bat. Which makes finalizing it by gilding it seem pretty redundant. 

At which point all Gilding seems to do as far as I can tell is require a chunk of standing, a forma and leveling the weapon to 60*, just to get the same mastery XP we get from leveling any other weapon to 30. 

I mean it seems like an interesting concept but I just don't think I'm getting what it's purpose is exactly? 

*well not quite 60 but you are leveling it to 30 twice. 

I guess, depending on the player, it's a way to get a polarity slot without having to get a forma and wait for it to be built in 24 hrs. (Gilding costs 2 Cetus Wisps and 5k standing).

Good for new players, whereas, vets probably don't really care.

Other than that, you're right, there seems to be no extra purpose/function to it. The extra stats could just be there when you craft the weapon.

1. It can only take 1 hour to build a Zaw if all the stars align, so asking the player to level it up again is reasonable

2. It allows you to name your weapon, giving it a unique means of customization

3. It's not that much of a resource sink; 5k standing and 2 wisps are incredibly easy to come by

4. Free polarization

5. Arcanes for melee weapons just make sense

I hate the eqicution of the zaws. i feel like we should ahve been able to find parts in the plaines and be able to braken them down or swap out things to paly around with. would be find if the gulding systme made it so it locks it in place, but right now its not worth it to me.

in fact its just a time sink, and has no real reward. althouhgt the thing with covert lethality and the exodia thing might make me make one... but I have a feeling that is going to be fixed.

what i find worse is the donation of the zaws back to hok, you craft the parts and put em together, level to 30, you pay 5k standing and 2 wisps to gild, level to 30 again, and turn them in for what 2.5-5k standing? not worth it for the time and materials to do.

Its sole purpose is to lengthen the grind and 'motivate' more players to just buy a zaw with plat since that cuts the hefty farm for plains resources AND comes pre-gilded. Yep, DE's not even trying to be subtle at this point.

Luckily, melee weapons are easy to level if you're good at chaining stealth kills. Just grab your loki, go to a grineer spy mission and go nuts. Or, y'know, Equinox sleep cheese. Pro-tip: Using your starchild to kill an enemy does NOT reset the stealth counter for your warframe, and the amp is silent, so you can use it to get rid of alerted enemies or things you can't stealth-kill.