Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Horde mode idea! (Not sure if this has been suggested yet.)

MrTitan123

So, I was playing a survival in the void one day and thought: “Hmm, I like the constant wave of enemies in this level, but hate the constant life support mechanics. What if there was a mode purely designed for killing endless hordes of enemies unhindered?”

so I came up with the idea called “Horde mode”!

The mode consists of your standard tile set in let’s say, a Grineer galleon. Upon activating the alarm in a survival style manner, the timer will start counting up just like survival, with regular rewards every five waves. The main difference between Horde mode and Survival, is that Horde mode will not have a life support objective, but instead a minimum amount of enemies you must kill and a minimum time stayed before you are permitted to extract. It should be noted that BOTH requirements must be met.

In addition to changed objectives, the mode would have different A.I. Behavior. Enemies would spawn at a roughly 1.5x rate, and scale about 15-20% faster. (I don’t know how to math. Lol)

this would make it more of a focus on killing things before they kill you, and not focus on getting freaking life support capsules.

as of writing this sentence you are reading, I realized a crucial error. Farming. An infinite mission with no objective risk would be heavily abused. So, here’s my proposition. You’re probably not going to like it, but it seems fair: Drop rates for resources (Not mods and stuff, just resources) are reduced by maybe 15-30%. I TOLD YOU THAT YOU’D HATE IT! Nevertheless, I think it would be fun for not only newer players to improve their combat efficiency and test out weapons and mods, but in later waves, more experienced players can test out their builds and see just how high they can get their Crit chance and Crit damage to go. (I’m lookin at you, Guy who breaks everything in the game on a regular basis. You know who you are.)

let me know what you think of this idea and how I could improve it by replying! Thank you for your time.

Just now, MrTitan123 said:

I haven’t exactly considered that. Maybe that would work. This is still a bit of an undeveloped idea, so yeah. Details are pretty scarce.

Survival already has similar condition, you have to keep up a certain kill rate or you won't get enough life support.

I think a horde mode needs some other condition, or alternatively requirement for higher kill rate than survival.

4 minutes ago, Salenstormwing said:

We sort of have that. it's called Defense and/or Survival. Only difference is we don't really get to build extra stuff to help (because we're Tenno). Maybe if it was Operator-Only.....

OH GOD NO! They already did the 8 Operator raid, we don’t need to do it again unless you’re completely insane. Or do it for gits and shiggles.

4 minutes ago, Naftal said:

Survival already has similar condition, you have to keep up a certain kill rate or you won't get enough life support.

I think a horde mode needs some other condition, or alternatively requirement for higher kill rate than survival.

Honestly, this could be a variant of survival missions (kind of like how the Uranus defense is a bit different with the moving pod). Because like Naftal said, survival also has the same mechanic basically, but if it counted kills and not life support it would be much less RNG based.

Edited by (XB1)ultimategamerjr

I'd prefer a return of the objective in the nydis quest, where its a hoard survival with the aim of closing 3 doors, and protecting a central node. Each door would have 2 / 3 defense lines with some AI defenders or turrets. To close a door you'd have to carry an item from the center to the door, hack a panel and then defend the console for a time. Enemies spawn constantly from all gates, and each time a gate is closed, harder enemies spawn in the remaining gates.

Alternatively, instead of closing the doors in this method, but following the same general idea, enemies could drop items (like power cells) that could be carried back to the center. The center would have a console where players could buy defenses with smaller amounts of this drop, or collect a large amount to close each door. When all doors close, the game ends.

Just now, Naftal said:

Maybe if players are downed enough times before enough enemies are killed, it will fail? I’m not talking about personal deaths, but instead a counter for the WHOLE PARTY.

2 minutes ago, chaotea said:

I'd prefer a return of the objective in the nydis quest, where its a hoard survival with the aim of closing 3 doors, and protecting a central node. Each door would have 2 / 3 defense lines with some AI defenders or turrets. To close a door you'd have to carry an item from the center to the door, hack a panel and then defend the console for a time. Enemies spawn constantly from all gates, and each time a gate is closed, harder enemies spawn in the remaining gates.

Alternatively, instead of closing the doors in this method, but following the same general idea, enemies could drop items (like power cells) that could be carried back to the center. The center would have a console where players could buy defenses with smaller amounts of this drop, or collect a large amount to close each door. When all doors close, the game ends.

Tower defense mode? Tower defense mode. I like it.

Just now, MrTitan123 said:

Tower defense mode? Tower defense mode. I like it.

Yea, i like a TD. Though i was thinking like Gears of Wars hoard mode. There's the option of getting these defense upgrades to help you fight, but hardcores can do it without, and rush the completion rewards if they like.

Basically a 'play at your own pace' option.

3 minutes ago, _Draken_ said:

These numbers are rookie numbers, watch this - basicly

These numbers dont add up, if you get 50% more enemies by spawn rate and it also scales faster, 15-30 % less loot is not enough. 33,3 % less loot would make ressource gain equal to a normal mission, with a nekros the ressources gains would still be too big and considering the scaling you prob have to go with 50 % less loot or more to make people stay for fun or reach the breakeven point

I dON’t KnoW HoW tO mAtH LOL

2 minutes ago, MrTitan123 said:

I...Uh...okay then. I was not aware of this. Apologies.

Lmao, it's all good. I don't mean it in an aggressive way, just that you said you didn't know if it was suggested before or not, so here I am.

More posts are good. It ensures that DE knows that this is a community-wide idea, not just some single player's wild imagination.

43 minutes ago, (PS4)Crixus044 said:

I literally JUST suggested something about this yesterday lol

I think DE will go with 'horde' mode, as 'tactical' requires more AI script coding. Which i think at this point, DE literately give up on.

They substitute the lack of 'tactical' for hp sponge. 

Edited by low1991

2 minutes ago, low1991 said:

I think DE will go with 'horde' mode, as 'tactical' requires more AI script coding. Which i think at this point, DE literately give up on.

They substitute the lack of 'tactical' for hp sponge. 

No need for any more scripting. Even if, DE is always improving the AI script anyways. All this would do is, make enemies in those missions more threatening, thus emphasizing the need to be tactical, vs. running in guns a' blazing, of which the 5 bombards would really be a punishment for doing such a thing. We also would get a horde mode by improving the horde modes we have currently, which is survival, defense, interception, etc., while also making it feel different than just a "warframe horde mode" since the enemy composition is changed, thus making it feel like a different mode entirely. It gives an added dynamic to the basic idea of a "horde mode"

34 minutes ago, (PS4)Crixus044 said:

No need for any more scripting. Even if, DE is always improving the AI script anyways. All this would do is, make enemies in those missions more threatening, thus emphasizing the need to be tactical, vs. running in guns a' blazing, of which the 5 bombards would really be a punishment for doing such a thing. We also would get a horde mode by improving the horde modes we have currently, which is survival, defense, interception, etc., while also making it feel different than just a "warframe horde mode" since the enemy composition is changed, thus making it feel like a different mode entirely. It gives an added dynamic to the basic idea of a "horde mode"

Was thinking scripting as in, the AI per enemy script to do what under certain condition. And not the composition of enemy, that's just AI spawning that is adjust-able per level/tier, which makes all other node similar other than planet specific.