The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

DE needs to montior chat bans

Ryim_Drykeon

Usually I don't get involved in this sort of thing, but this was bad for the community, imo.

I just watched a player get quite annoying with asking for squad help in Region. Over and over, even arguing with the chat mod who warned them about it. They subsequently got banned. I have no problem with that.

Just as they got banned, another player replied that they would have some time to help with the mission if they needed. THAT person was subsequently kicked as well. For offering to help? Seriously? No warning here, just a kick. The one being annoying got multiple warnings, the one offering help gets none.

While I have much respect for the chat mods (they work for free and put up with tons of crap), this is unacceptable.

wasn't there when it happened, but it sounds like both players (the one asking for squad help and the one offering his help for a mission after some time) were in the chat for a longer period of time...so...both of them should've seen the warnings given in the chat. (and therefore know that offering help for a mission is something you probably should talk about in a pm or in recruit-chat...well they should know that in the first place - rules and yadayada and all that stuff - but i digress^^)

oh or it was a kickbot thing...but... yea, just... don't do "recruit"-talkytalky stuff in region chat and you are good to go. If someone wants to help a player in a mission, use a pm or the recruit chat. All in all it just sounds like daily business...not really a surprise...and not 'unacceptable' tbh.

Wasn't a bot, the timing was too slow.

The fact that people find this "acceptable" is disgusting. Rules and Codes of Conduct I agree with, but taking a conscious decision to kick someone for offering to help is beyond that. To that effect, no one should offer to help any newbie except in PMs. Which is ridiculous, as doing it publicly show the new players that there ARE people that will help.

Bah! Argue if you want. Defend this abhorrent behavior if you wish. DE can read it and trash it, or act on it as they will. Talking to a wall, so I'm done.

They should really sort this situation out sooner than later. Each individual chat channel can barley serve its purpose, it`s just too much even with proper use. 

With the current size in playerbase they have to change to more "sophisticated" solutions than chat only! I am all for social interaction and communication in co-op, multiplayer games, it can add alot of positive things to a game, however we need a basic looking-for-grp and more diverse trade channels maybe?

Something as a starting point, just something more suitable! If this game wants to grow even more (it surely wants to) they can`t stick to the current method!  

Let's all get worked up about a situation that has no actual information about it merely one person's POV. Where is anything beyond someone just really concerned about something that seems to happen relatively little? If you were actually fed up and consider this so unacceptable, then directly contacting DE through anything other than a public forum would be more appropriate.

3 hours ago, AcceptYourDeath said:

If this game wants to grow even more (it surely wants to) they can`t stick to the current method!  

This is inconsistent with its current growth with the chat system it has had for... years.

its kinda crappy it happened but the mod probably was using that person as an example as after that noone probably mentioned asking or offering help in region chat, the mods warning to the player spamming were probably "region chat isnt the place for that try looking for group chat", which didnt just go for the player spamming, it goes for everyone (posting about grouping or trading in region chat can get you banned just flat out, clogs the chat with things that have their own tabs), so the player that then responded knowingly broke a rule after the first person was banned so they got made into an example

Same thing with swaer words sometimes, few days ago i saw someone im assuming was a child type the F word in all caps, didnt get deleted, didnt get banned chat moved along, then maybe 3 minutes later 3-4  different users all typed it at the same time, only the last person that typed it got banned none of the other, but it immediately stopped then and there cause that one person that got banned kinda crappy their the one that got picked but they were the example that stopped the profanity abuse in it tracks

Edited by Tokens210

Chat is in desperate need of a new channel specifically for new players who want help, and that has moderation more aimed at banning the intentionally unhelpful (and the annoyingly entitled).  All too often new players get trolled in region, and when they ask for help in recruiting, their requests get buried under an endless torrent of relic missions.

Then there's the matter of who is in each channel.  As someone who is willing to help new players, I am going to be monitoring region, because that is where they ask questions, and where I am going to answer them.  I am not going to sit watching hundreds of relic missions go by in recruiting, on the off-chance a new player is going to ask for help in a starting mission.

There needs to be a single place where new players can both ask questions (without being trolled), and ask for help in missions from better geared players.  The new player experience in the game is quite literally piss-poor as it is, due to a lack of tutorials for complicated systems, and this simple change would go some way to alleviating that problem, by providing those who want help, and those who can give it, a single place to communicate, free from the distractions of everyone else.

Edited by polarity

DE has given the Chat Mods a very comprehensive policy for handling chats, and Chat Mods are constantly discussing on Discord about what should be done ideally and what has to be done in reality, given our own limitations & Players' behaviors

For this special case, I guess the Mod thought that he had told enough in chat to justify an immediate action for the person continuing to discuss recruitment matters after his/her multiple reminders.

Do not forget that Chat Mods contact via PM the offender after a punishment. You don't see what they say to the offender. It's up to the person, after this exchange, to go to the Support if they think that the CMod made a mistake that must be reviewed.

Chat Mods are constantly operating with that in mind: every and each of their words/actions is likely to be reviewed by DE (the Support).

So, in brief, keep in mind that:

- Chat Mods have instructions from DE

- Chat Mods are trying to do their best

- Chat Mods are monitored by DE, and many of their actions are reported to the Support for review, or to [DE]Danielle directly

- You don't see/know everything when you see a Chat Mod kicking/banning a person. Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. ;)

- Let the person concerned report the CMod if they see fit.

Thank you for your attention and understanding.

Mass Vitrified to prevent derailment.