The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Losing new players because of insane mouse sensitivity

drogon1

Intro'd a friend of mine to the game.  He was unimpressed and felt that the game was a "free to play low quality" due to the insane mouse sensitivity which had his screen jumping all over the place.  I made a new account to figure out what he was talking and discovered the same.  The default mouse sensitivity is insanely off, leading new players to find initial gameplay to be a twitchy mess.  Tone the default mouse sensitivity WAY down - it is causing new players to have an unkind initial impression of Warframe.  If not, then at a minimum pleaseinsert a lengthy message at the start of the intro explaining to the new player to adjust mouse sensitivity to their liking in the Options.  

I'm sorry, but if he is judging the game over something as stupid as mouse sensitivity, it sounds like your friend has no patience in the first place. No shooters games, ever, in the market, is designed around a single mouse.

Edited by Twilight053

34 minutes ago, drogon1 said:

Intro'd a friend of mine to the game.  He was unimpressed and felt that the game was a "free to play low quality" due to the insane mouse sensitivity which had his screen jumping all over the place.  I made a new account to figure out what he was talking and discovered the same.  The default mouse sensitivity is insanely off, leading new players to find initial gameplay to be a twitchy mess.  Tone the default mouse sensitivity WAY down - it is causing new players to have an unkind initial impression of Warframe.  If not, then at a minimum pleaseinsert a lengthy message at the start of the intro explaining to the new player to adjust mouse sensitivity to their liking in the Options.  

Ha, good mouse sensitivity is one of the reasons why I started playing Warframe. Maybe your friend is the kind of guy that likes having a 10 by 10 sq inch mousepad where he has to drag his mouse around the whole pad just to make his character turn around?

That being said, if he's the kind of player that gets turned off to a game because it's so-called "low quality free-to-play due to insane mouse sensitivity" he's probably not the kind of guy we want in Warframe anyway. All good things come with patience, and if it wasn't for patient players, DE and Warframe wouldn't be where they are today. Go tell your friend to play some bro shooter like Overwatch or join with the rest of the suckers who play Destiny 2 or SW: BFII. 

Can people stop using "new players quit because ???" as an excuse to demand ridiculous change? You're probably thinking "new players" means potential income and use it as a scare words to make developers abide to you out of fear of losing potential income. This is an f2p game, anyone can easily download, play the game and leave for any reason. The more ridiculous their reason for leaving, the more acceptable the loss. This game wasn't meant for everyone and not everyone was meant for this game. 

Bro bro bro bro... I started on PC a few months ago (after years of playing games on the console) and I have no trouble with the mouse, you know why? 

BECAUSE I TURNED DOWN THE SENSITIVITY!!!!!

If a player doesn't know to go into the options to turn it down then that's on them. There is NO reason to explain such a basic mechanic to a new player.

On a side note, is this their first video game? Like ever? If so this is about the worst game you could've chosen.

Edited by (PS4)Chris_Robet

14 hours ago, UMBRAREAPER said:

Ha, good mouse sensitivity is one of the reasons why I started playing Warframe. Maybe your friend is the kind of guy that likes having a 10 by 10 sq inch mousepad where he has to drag his mouse around the whole pad just to make his character turn around?

That being said, if he's the kind of player that gets turned off to a game because it's so-called "low quality free-to-play due to insane mouse sensitivity" he's probably not the kind of guy we want in Warframe anyway. All good things come with patience, and if it wasn't for patient players, DE and Warframe wouldn't be where they are today. Go tell your friend to play some bro shooter like Overwatch or join with the rest of the suckers who play Destiny 2 or SW: BFII. 

having a lower mouse sensitivity is actually very good for your aim. it just takes some adjusting.

wow, since when did these forums become so toxic and snobbish?  expected more from this community. 

yes, my friend is NEW to gaming.  and the extreme mouse sensitivity turned him off.  so i thought i'd give DE a heads up, only to find a bunch of condescending trolls attacking a player new to gaming. 

the issue i'm talking about is the default mouse sensitivity and the impression it gives players new to gaming.  many of these players don't even know that such a thing is adjustable, so they find the game going herky-jerky across their screen.

geez.

12 minutes ago, drogon1 said:

wow, since when did these forums become so toxic and snobbish?  expected more from this community. 

yes, my friend is NEW to gaming.  and the extreme mouse sensitivity turned him off.  so i thought i'd give DE a heads up, only to find a bunch of condescending trolls attacking a player new to gaming. 

the issue i'm talking about is the default mouse sensitivity and the impression it gives players new to gaming.  many of these players don't even know that such a thing is adjustable, so they find the game going herky-jerky across their screen.

geez.

The issue your friend has and your assume accusation that "default mouse sensitivity" can cost the game it's players is a very unreasonable, since, like in every other games today, there's a large variety of settings you can change. Anytime someone start playing a new game it's a test run for about the first 10 minutes to see how the control feels and how smooth the game is playing; after that, adjust accordingly to their liking.

Edited by NekroArts

8 minutes ago, drogon1 said:

geez.

There are differences with people who can't understand the game's unique mechanics and impatient/ignorant people who quit out of simple matter. New to gaming doesn't means they're just born yesterday. New to anything doesn't justify lack of patience and attention.

Anybody new to anything are the one that should put some effort to learn, not the opposite where everyone else have to waste their time conforming to them. Imagine this whole scenario on a new job environment. Your friends found something they don't understand, instead of asking or learning, they just complain and quit and you go to their bosses and demand that something to be changed.

37 minutes ago, drogon1 said:

geez.

I would argue its a good thing he came across this now because,  oh boy, there are things called "other games" that have interchangeable settings too. I'm sorry if that comes across as snobbish, but sensitivity is meant for players to adjust to their preference. I agree it's high (hell,  my sensitivity is 0), but if he quit over not being able to find a slider in an options menu instead of learning how he can change it (or you teaching him what he could do), maybe shooters or gaming in general wouldn't be for him.

I understand he's new, and it's awesome you introduced him to the game, but this issue isn't on DE.