Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do one handed swords need a buff?

(XBOX)Skyvernn

What do you think?

Should one handed swords be given a small tune in power bringing them up to see more usage? The most commonly seen one handed swords right now are the Dakra Prime, Broken War, and Krohkur. However, I believe that the swords category as a whole is fairly neglected and could use a little love. 

Share your thoughts and opinions. 

Just now, (PS4)godlysparta said:

It’s all because Crimson Dervish has a Finisher at the end of one of its combos

While yes the stance definitely assists with one handed swords as a whole, we shouldn't be forced into using a single stance just to make a whole category of weapons more competitive against another such as nikanas.

As whole the one handed swords don't particularly offer a great deal of damage amongst other weapons. 

1 minute ago, (Xbox One)Dova Seniorious said:

While yes the stance definitely assists with one handed swords as a whole, we shouldn't be forced into using a single stance just to make a whole category of weapons more competitive against another such as nikanas.

As whole the one handed swords don't particularly offer a great deal of damage amongst other weapons. 

Agreed 

you have several Crit Slash options in Longswords, and many Stances to choose from.
they're better than you think.

some Longswords, like most generic Alert ones, yes are terrible. *shrug*
but the group that are good in the Longsword category, are basically competitive with Katanas in their basic attributes which i assume is the only thing you're comparing (instead of in context of the Animations available and what they do).

6 minutes ago, Xardis said:

The best single sword is that one that you get for free from a quest...

Krohkur is significantly better.

6 minutes ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

While a bunch are indeed lackluster, I find that broken war and the Zaw family of single handed swords does quite a lot if you know what you're doing.

Still, relying on just the Zaws and the Broken War isn't really adding much to the onehanded sword category considering it has 4 stances and 13 obtainable weapons (14 with the Zaws) which really highlights how neglected the weapon type is.  

Edited by (XB1)Dova Seniorious

Just now, (Xbox One)Dova Seniorious said:

Still, relying on just the Zaws and the Broken War isn't really adding much to the onehanded sword category considering it has 4 stances and 13 obtainable weapons (14 with the Zaws) which really highlights how neglected the weapon type is.  

As far as melee goes, there are still a bunch of weapon types that need more immediate attention such as the scythe family imo.

2 minutes ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

As far as melee goes, there are still a bunch of weapon types that need more immediate attention such as the scythe family imo.

I don't know if it's reasonable to say 'immediate attention' but from the community as a whole, we can definitely agree that a couple of weapon categories should be 'buffed' in their own respective ways allowing for more options to choose between. 

4 minutes ago, Foreigndevil said:

Hopefully the damage 2.5 update will have some good balancing that helps to improve 1-handed swords...As others have mentioned, a lot of other weapons are suffering in greater ways, and I'd rather have DE fix the worse problems first.

From your point of view which weapon category do you believe are 'suffering' in greater ways. 

I am curious to hear from someone else's perspective as I have much more enjoyment from one-handed swords over things like polearms. (That's just my preference though)  

Just now, (Xbox One)Dova Seniorious said:

From your point of view which weapon category do you believe are 'suffering' in greater ways. 

I am curious to hear from someone else's perspective as I have much more enjoyment from one-handed swords over things like polearms. (That's just my preference though)  

Off the top of my head? Dual daggers, scythes, blade & whips, claws, fist weapons, nunchakus all seem like they are in sore need of help. And I say this mainly from the fact that it's so rare to see someone using one of these (seriously use them in harder missions like Sortie3, not just for fun). 

I still use my Broken War with some frequency, so while the category as a whole needs help, it's at least somewhat in the meta. I also see people running around with their tricked out Nikana Primes, and Zaws.

As the OP said, single swords could use "a little love", but a lot of other weapons need a Lot of love, and it's a zero-sum game. DE only has a limited amount of manpower to dedicate to these efforts, they really need to have the priority straight of fixing the worst-off stuff first.

4 minutes ago, Foreigndevil said:

Off the top of my head? Dual daggers, scythes, blade & whips, claws, fist weapons, nunchakus all seem like they are in sore need of help. And I say this mainly from the fact that it's so rare to see someone using one of these (seriously use them in harder missions like Sortie3, not just for fun). 

I still use my Broken War with some frequency, so while the category as a whole needs help, it's at least somewhat in the meta. I also see people running around with their tricked out Nikana Primes, and Zaws.

As the OP said, single swords could use "a little love", but a lot of other weapons need a Lot of love, and it's a zero-sum game. DE only has a limited amount of manpower to dedicate to these efforts, they really need to have the priority straight of fixing the worst-off stuff first.

I agree the one handed swords need a review but I also agree with this statement entirely. You nailed it on the head good person.   

Edited by (XB1)SladesInjustice

1 minute ago, Foreigndevil said:

Yeah I can most definitely agree with a large majority of categories in here. It does become very apparent that the meta hasn't really been shifted away from heavy blades, dual blades and polearms for quite some time. 

Hopefully we can expect more categories to see more usage with the coming changes. 

1 minute ago, (Xbox One)Dova Seniorious said:

Yeah I can most definitely agree with a large majority of categories in here. It does become very apparent that the meta hasn't really been shifted away from heavy blades, dual blades and polearms for quite some time. 

Hopefully we can expect more categories to see more usage with the coming changes. 

I think they will get around to it but it will take some time but I believe they will start with a certain weapon group that needs help, fix it. Then work their way through the rest of the weapon groups requiring attention. Only time will say  :) I have faith though  

I wouldn't say the category itself is needing a buff, Swords have more Stances than any other Weapon Class (4 in total) and the Broken War and Dakra Prime are still good melees. I would however like the Alert Swords (Jaw, Pangolin, Heat, Plasma and Dark Swords respectively) to all get buffs. I'm actually rather fond of each of these, especially the Pangolin, but without a Riven they just aren't viable for high level play. lord knows the Plasma Sword needs it, it's worse than the Machete...

1 hour ago, taiiat said:

Krohkur is significantly better.

Really? I never got that impression while I was leveling it up for mastery, it was too slow and that 1.7x crit damage looked really unappealing. Admittedly the moment it hit 30 I turned it into a Twin Krohkur so I was too busy freeing up inventory slots to give it further look. Or is it just another one of those Body Rush Overload dispensers?

13 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

Really?

Or is it just another one of those Body Rush Overload dispensers?

ofcourse, as all of the best Melee Weapons are. high Crits, high Status, Slash weighted.

1 hour ago, Foreigndevil said:

WhipSwords are bad

i'm not sure if i should continue laughing or be concerned. they're extremely good, they're just not good for AFK'ing and therefore you won't see them in Public much.
do you really judge how effective something is based on how many random people are AFKFarming with it? wouldn't you prefer to judge based on facts?

Edited by taiiat

7 hours ago, WindigoTP said:

What one handed swords need is a good stance. But this is the case with thw most of weapon types.

Without a good stance, numerical stat values are pretty much irrelevant.

1c0a0abc65b93e70d3424b403a4b98cf2aa5fc67

There is more than Iron Phoenix, y'know?

Crimson Dervish has some of the highest multipliers in the game.
Swooping Falcon has plenty of slash procs and plenty of multipliers as well. Oh, and it feels rather fluid.
Vengeful Revenant is pretty decent as well, it has slash proc, ragdoll and some multihit combos.

All these are actually good stances, but these can't save a weapon with 5-10% status and 5-10% crit chance.

Swords are in 'meh' state mostly because, sliding mindlessly with a whip or waving blindly with polearm is simply easier, even considering that Shimmering Blight has none of the advantages of the abovementioned stances. Tenno became lazy.

I think maybe dual wield feature (one handed melee + single pistol) could give it a new life.

Edited by saradonin

Like dual swords and daggers (all) these are in some point inferior and needs some tweaks. Same goes to the one handed swords which are not that bad but clearly weaker than some other melee weapons and these weapon classes have only stagger which makes them usable. The old one handed swords needs some stat buffs to be more viable in late game and I dont mean it needs to become superior or meta but some tweaks can take them up from the useless tier into the useful one.

Ether series are beautiful but that's all, those cannot deal with the high levels so much. Same goes with the heat series but at least the single handed heat sword have 20% status which is okay for status build. Mire can deal toxic damage but overall the damage output is low, only advantage it's speed.

Swords like cronus, pangolin, jaw sword, dark sword, plasma swords seriously needs some tweaks.