The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe will be a movie?

(XBOX)coelhodavis

Good article about early attempts to bring Black Panther to the big screen. Didn't know about the piece when I posted earlier to reference Blade, but it reinforces points I (and others) made earlier.

This is Wesley Snipes recalling the creative debate he had with director John Singleton.

"I laid on him my vision of the film being closer to what you see now: the whole world of Africa being a hidden, highly technically advanced society, cloaked by a force field, Vibranium," Snipes begins. "John was like, 'Nah! Hah! Hah! See, he’s got the spirit of the Black Panther, but he is trying to get his son to join the [civil rights activist] organization. And he and his son have a problem, and they have some strife because he is trying to be politically correct and his son wants to be a knucklehead.' "

Laughing, Snipes continued, "I am loosely paraphrasing our conversation. But ultimately, John wanted to take the character and put him in the civil rights movement. And I’m like, 'Dude! Where’s the toys?! They are highly technically advanced, and it will be fantastic to see Africa in this light opposed to how Africa is typically portrayed.' I wanted to see the glory and the beautiful Africa. The jewel Africa."

The crazy thing is, Singleton would have won the debate (Snipes felt). I can't imagine that version of Black Panther being a very entertaining film, or true to the essence of the character/comic.

And this is Snipes recalling what the costume would have looked like:

"Actually, I figured it would be a leotard," he says. "A leotard with maybe some little cat ears on it. I would have to be in shape and just be straight bodied up. I never imagined anything more than a leotard at the time, which I didn’t have a problem with because I started out as a dancer."

Sometimes the filmmaking team itself, the industry at large, and the technology just isn't ready and you've got to wait until it is.

Right now, films adapted from video games are where comic book adaptations were 20 and 30 years ago (with the exception of Superman and Batman).

I think it could work.

The movie would basically be a Warframe waking up, some plot involving the grineer, corpus taking over the system with a Doomsday device, with lotus as our guide, stalker coming after us and being the true main villian and a climax ending with the second dream, leaving it open ended for a bigger universe or potential sequel. 

I would have the operator transfer between several frames as a lead up to the question of how/why they are able to.

If written and directed well, it could be typical sci-fi action movie. I don't see why it HAS to be bad. The plot isn't that convoluted. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I know this thread is old now and I already said that I think they could make a warframe movie but I just saw a trailer for Rampage the movie.

Some how...in some way...somebody...convinced people in Hollywood to spend millions of dollars on a movie based of the video game RAMPAGE.

So yeah Warframe has more then enough story/plot to be turned into a movie.

3 hours ago, RoninJed said:

Ok I know this thread is old now and I already said that I think they could make a warframe movie but I just saw a trailer for Rampage the movie.

Some how...in some way...somebody...convinced people in Hollywood to spend millions of dollars on a movie based of the video game RAMPAGE.

So yeah Warframe has more then enough story/plot to be turned into a movie.

That would mean The Rock would be Rhino...and the ENTIRE plot of the movie would be about Rhino.

• 3 months later...

I could see anime shorts or mini-series akin to the Halo animated “movies” they’ve done. Nothing too long, nothing too deep but a fun alternative to give a little life to obscure bits of canon or to flush out a link between conflicting pieces. (Like how an event really happened but got lost or mistranslated between the resulting factions etc)

I think there is certainly enough backstory to make a good WF movie.

However, as far as I can tell, it would require Lotus, Konzu, Simaris and the various bosses to be the major characters, given that the Tenno don't talk (far as I know).

It'd be like making a HALO or Half Life movie...neither Master Chief or Gordon Freeman talk either. So you'd either have to give them a voice & personality - which might ruin them for players who imagined them otherwise - or keep them mute and make them the pawns of the power players. The grunts that go in and do the dirty work...

15 minutes ago, FlusteredFerret said:

It'd be like making a HALO or Half Life movie...neither Master Chief or Gordon Freeman talk either.

The Master Chief certainly does talk, in fact Halo: CE - Halo 2 probably made him the sassiest super soldier of the decade before Halo: 4 - Halo: 5 turned him into your typical angst filled war vet

Edited by goga_gola

1 hour ago, goga_gola said:

The Master Chief certainly does talk, in fact Halo: CE - Halo 2 probably made him the sassiest super soldier of the decade before Halo: 4 - Halo: 5 turned him into your typical angst filled war vet

Thats funny - I've got HALO: CE and HALO 2 and I don't recall the Chief saying much of anything. Then again its been a while since I played either.

• 2 months later...

Hey i know that this topic is a bit old but i would really enjoy a movie or a serie  (too much things to cover even with 10 movie so no) but to start maybe a short serie 'cuz since the sacrifice came out hype was here (it was much present after i end it up) so i'll give some of my ideas that are clearly based on the sacrifice story(not exactly but i am pretty sure that you'll get it).

My first idea is that we get a short serie with episode that are 5 to 15 minutes long on each warframe, not the warframe themselve but the original men and women who became it, but now that i say it, it sounds a bit weird, still could work.

Movie 'bout the Zariman incident as Rell, Space Mum(she wasn't on the ship so it maybe a bad idea) or we could have Kaleen(it seems a bit too hard to write but who knows) but you see to make a movie we need a centered story without thousands of character  not too complex so we Don't have to make more than one movie to understand the plot

Maybe a long serie about Ballas and first space mum Margulis with little appearance of the tenno or about Rell.

Still with Ballas(his struggle to create the warframe absolutely want to see nidus in that one) and/or Margulis(her fight for the tenno, like a Archemedian/space Mandela for them).

For sure it may not work in the current timeline because of the huge lore gasp that is present but maybe in a few years or maybe a decades 

If anybody still want to talk about this topic i'll be here… i hope.

PS: sorry if there's a lot of mistake English is not my mother tongue.

Edited by heartknight
i forgot something

History tells us that a Warframe movie would fail...hard. Video games and movies go together like water and oil. 

Besides, in the Warframe universe, knowledge of the pasts exists only in fragments, leaving us to really only wonder about what the height of the Orokin Empire was like, or the details about what really happened aboard the Zariman 10-0, despite us as the Tenno once being there!

A movie about anything before the moment we awake would ruin much of the mysticism surrounding the Orokin.

Warframe was built from the ground-up to be a game. Let it remain a game.

• 1 month later...

Too many problems and too many precedents where video games have been made into awful B-movies, because nobody really cared about the franchise (Mortal Kombat being a prime example).

For what its worth I believe it COULD be made into a great movie...IF the main story could be tied together properly, starting with the Zariman incident, then following Margulis / Lotus' efforts to protect the children, her relationship with Ballas, whatever Teshin was doing behind the scenes until The War Within (that quest could be a great short movie on its own). Hunhow would need to feature at some point. Obviously the events of The Second Dream would be pivotal to the storyline, as would the process of how the warframes were created (thinking some funky futuristic Frankenstein lab scenes here).

Thats as far as I've got in the game, so I don't know what happens from there on, but to conclude I'm guessing the movie would have to resolve whatever happens to Lotus / Natah that sees her end up captured by her mother and maybe a cliffhanger teasing a Sentient invasion.

The Tenno taking the fight to the Sentients in the Tau system would be an obvious sequel.

HOWEVER...

Videogame franchises are notorious for being paid lip service by the movie industry and sadly I don't think this would fare any better. DE might hand over an amazing script, but it could end up having important stuff cut out, or reworked to satisfy the studio. Probably get a crappy cast too.

So, overall...no I don't think I would like to see a WF movie...unless DE were guaranteed creative control anyway.

And I DEFINITELY wouldn't want it to be a Transformers style movie where the warframes are the "stars" of the show. I'd prefer to see them merely as machines of war. I would hate to see them "brought to life" and given voices, personalities etc.

Edited by FlusteredFerret

On 2018-01-31 at 3:39 AM, Gabbynaru said:

Wow, you must really hate Warframe if you want to have a movie of it. Like, I'm serious, wishing a movie upon a video game is basically saying you hate that game, cause no game has ever had a good movie made of it.

Let's leave Warframe out of Hollywood, please. They will always make crap.

Ehh... Kingsglaive was "good". Was it great or a masterpiece? Not really. Possibly only in the CGI department. But it had giant teleporting mecha-like statues so I'm cool with it. Plus some really good voice talent.

Resident Evil Damnation is actually pretty good in my opinion. Great action, a good side character and Leon being Leon. The first two live-action Resident Evil films I don't think were too bad either.

Castlevania, while not a movie persay is pretty solid and Halo: Legends, also not a movie but did some interesting things with the Halo IP.

Actually, THAT'S what Warframe should do. Do an anthology "film" where they get lots of creators with different styles to do a ~20min short film each about Warframe similar to what Halo:Legends did.

Edited by Goodwill