Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Beat Dauntless to their game before it gets big

Uthael

Hunting Eidolons on the Plains was fun for the first 2 times I did it. First time, I got my butt carried and the party killed it no problem. Second time, I got in with a bunch of nobs like myself and it ran away.

During the second run I figured thaat we should all focus the same part until the armor falls off. Once for each limb. I learned how to crouch to not take damage and use that time to regenerate Amp power. If everyone knows what to do, it's perfectly doable with a basic amp, without any health regen or volt shields.

And now a friend recommends me Dauntless. It looks like an open world game with Dark Souls style bosses, but you do it in a team of 4. I wouldn't like to split my playtime or leave my time invested in Warframe. I know the concept of open world is in the works and I know Warframe can do the same idea better. And I 'd like to give my friends more reasons to play this.

The Razorback has about the fitting size/shape of a zone boss. And General Sargas Ruk, for example, has interesting fight mechanics, not dependent on small mobs. But Ruk's abilities look too big for him.

Corpus/Grineer transport aircraft are also fun to mess around with. You can land on them without glitching (which was one of pleasant suprises of Warframe) and maybe even ride them. It would be fun if you could grab hold of a boss like that and stick to it while it's trying to shake you off. You can fly an Archwing upside-down and there's also no vertical limit to your mouse movements. That's sooo much potential action!

Imagine chasing something that looks like an overgrown runaway Azoth across snowy terrain. It's too fast for any warframe without some serious speed, but you can chase it in your Archwing. Its weak points are hard to hit from up above. Skilled low flying or AoE on its other body parts can still be used to harm the weak spots. Hitting those would slow it down. The squad corners it wolfpack-style. it suddenly turns and lunges for your teammate 70m in the air. It's about to miss but fires a burst of thrusters to get closer and whacks the teammate down to the ground with a down spin kick (thruster burst for a second to give it round momentum). It uses that gap in your formation to run towards a frozen lake. It knows the ice is thick enough and it starts skating. Ice can be broken but it's agile enough not to fall in. Instead, it only has to run on the wobbling ice pieces, which is much slower (but not a problem for a Tenno). Now that it's slower, any frame can harm it without an archwing. It's not a time-limited mission and it can't run away to disappear. Stealth might also work if it thinks it's safe and stops being alerted. But there should be some risks of instant-regret for stealth and sniping. Etc, etc.

ANYWAY! Medium-sized bosses. Definitely not humanoid. Big terrain. Good reaction times required. Totally optional. No objective ever points to it. Like juggernauts. Bigger. More action and positioning required.

Edit: you can't go fighting cool looking bosses like Eidolons in your favorite warframe.

Edited by Uthael
added edit

1 minute ago, Glavenusaur said:

How is it compared to monster hunter though? as that's is primary competition.

I asked a friend if he played Dauntless and he said, "Why would I play that when I already have Monster Hunter (on the xbox)."

1 minute ago, kambinks said:

And if DE does it before they get big, DE gets to sue them for copying poe's gameplay pubg style. 

I doubt DE would be stupid enough to do somewhing like that. PUBGs lawsuit against Epic is doomed to fail since it is not possible to "own" gamemodes and game mechanics.

After investing a couple of hours in Dauntless I have to say that I'd prefer Monster Hunter World over it. It's fun for the first couple of hours, since we haven't had many such games on the PC and most players are starved for the genre but with Monster Hunter World on the horizon I'd find it difficult for Dauntless to remain popular.

At this point in time Dauntless feels, at least for me, like the 'poor man's Monster Hunter' simply because of the lack in content.

I honestly don't see it as much of a contender for Monster Hunter World once it releases this autumn.

Well... Dauntless IS free to play so that might work out for them.

Anyway, going back to the idea for Warframe, honestly not sure how viable it will be since there's a huge difference between the gameplay in Warframe and the one in Dauntless/MHW; Warframe is much more fast paced, with AoE weapons and insane powers and mobility while Dauntless/MHW have a more slow paced gameplay that relies on your ability to learn the move set of the enemy and time your strikes accordingly.

I'd honestly love the idea of seeing something like this implemented but from a gameplay perspective I'd find it impossible to do properly.

38 minutes ago, Uthael said:

you can't go fighting cool looking bosses like Eidolons in your favorite warframe.

That would make the game more difficult than what people want. As you can see, people tend to complain about difficult things being in the game *cough* raids

23 minutes ago, -SDM-NerevarCM said:

Dauntless already have enough competition. That will be even more evident when MHW comes to PC.

And why in the hell DE would make a Monster Hunter style bosses in Warframe only to kill Dauntless? They're totally different games.

I had no idea MHW existed. Playing only PC games. Dauntless might be hoping to surpass it as they WILL be adding to fill that game. Terrain, mechanics, eye-candy,... It's not even beta yet. Also, F2P.

26 minutes ago, --Q--Captain said:

That would make the game more difficult than what people want. As you can see, people tend to complain about difficult things being in the game *cough* raids

That's why I think it's best that those bosses prioritize their own survival over hunting players (at least above 60% HP). Also, completely optional and no time limit stuff. They wouldn't be the focus in Warframe. Imagine taking a quest on Plains but you hear a Teralyst in the distance. That kind of optional.

34 minutes ago, --Q--Captain said:

people didn't complain about raids being hard lol, they complained that they were too easy.

Open world, large monsters, co-op. So exciting. DE really needs to copy a game outside its genre, or players might leave Warframe for a completely different type of game. Monster Hunter is not the first, nor the only game of that type and there are numerous games of that type on PC already.

5 hours ago, Uthael said:

I wouldn't like to split my playtime or leave my time invested in Warframe.

Then DE needs to rope in those card game players with a Hearthstone-style spin-off. Or they accept that this game is this game and other games are other games. 

Given what I've seen of Dauntless, DE isn't in any danger any time soon.

25 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

https://pcgamesn.com/dauntless/dauntless-player-count

They may not be in trouble now, but they need to start releasing content as they are losing players to Dauntless. We've been in a content drought for 6 months now. If the sacrifice turns out to be a bad quest then they might be in trouble. People who have hit the max MR are getting bored of the game due to no content being released.

Here is the player count for Warframe. The game is losing players
aacbf835cac956d5adcab9def7cdb92c.png

Edited by --Q--Captain

2 minutes ago, --Q--Captain said:

https://pcgamesn.com/dauntless/dauntless-player-count

They may not be in trouble now, but they need to start releasing content as they are losing players to Dauntless. We've been in a content drought for 6 months now. If the sacrifice turns out to be a bad quest then they might be in trouble. People who have hit the max MR are getting bored of the game due to no content being released.

So how many of those players are Warframe veterans? How is a MH-style game taking players from a third person shooter?

WE WANT FIXES
ALSO, WE WANT NEW STUFF, FASTER

People who have played through all of the existing content want more content... so what? They aren't exactly the majority of the players and the have probably amassed enough Plat to just buy whatever new thing comes along and then complain there's nothing to do in a game that revolves around grinding.

17 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

People who have played through all of the existing content want more content... so what? They aren't exactly the majority of the players and the have probably amassed enough Plat to just buy whatever new thing comes along and then complain there's nothing to do in a game that revolves around grinding.

Buying the new stuff with plat serves no purpose. Sure I could buy new weapons, but that just ruined the point of me asking for new content... Why would anyone buy something with plat if they are bored and want content..??????

Dauntless? Hmm, need to see for myself.

As for Warframe, I realize there is a schedule that the devs feel that they need to follow based on metrics they've been collecting over time (and yeah I got to see one or two of those presentations).

The key factor is striking a balance to keep growing, while still being yourself.

So sometimes a re-evaluation is necessary and a new direction can be invigorating, certainly.

As a player and distant observer, I want to believe that PoE was one such direction change, that has added to Warframe (and there have been many other smaller steps in between over time, that also need acknowledgement, as this sort of progress can be very creatively and technically challenging overtime). I am happy to at least be a witness!

So to restate, the key elements are being true to what you want to be, listening and then implementing adaptions to keep progress moving forward and then being open to expanding when opportunities present themselves as time goes on.

What more can a player ask for?

2 hours ago, peterc3 said:

So how many of those players are Warframe veterans? How is a MH-style game taking players from a third person shooter?

WE WANT FIXES
ALSO, WE WANT NEW STUFF, FASTER

Point isn't how a game like dauntless is taking warframe players away, the fact is it is, and it' simply due to the lack of Content. There's no question since it's already been reported on

1 hour ago, --Q--Phanini said:

the fact is it is

Source this. Point to literally anything showing Warframe players going to Dauntless.

1 hour ago, --Q--Phanini said:

There's no question since it's already been reported on

What has been reported on?

Do y'all work for Phoenix Labs or something?

Beat Dauntless to what? Warframe is by far the better game. I played Dauntless, it's so empty and dry, I've already had my fill after just 2 hours. Meanwhile, Warframe, 3000+ hours in, and still loving it. Dauntless isn't even as good as Toukiden 2 (though, to be fair, Toukiden 2 is a bloody good game), much less Warframe. The only reason it has players it's cause it barely released in Open Beta and people are curious to see it in action, and quench their thirst until MHW makes its way to PC. Dauntless is no threat to Warframe though. They aren't even going for the same audience at the end of the day.

You hit the boss till his tail falls off and he cant smack you with it anymore. Disable one of his hind legs and suddenly he cant jump around anymore. Cut his arm off and it cant shoot back. Aim for his head+eyes and he cant see.. Its a constant disappointment when games just keep going with the 1 giant hitbox with a linked HP pool where you just mindlessly shoot the weak spot and eventually he dies. Sure they mix up the weak spot but battle dynamics dont change nor do you take things into consideration like elemental damage.

Anyway i've been putting time into dauntless and its fixed the monster hunter itch that i've had since MH tri. I do wonder though if it can actually develop well enough in the time before MHW comes out. Especially the game performance, UI and graphics which seem to be very poor at this early stage.

Edited by CarrotSalad

Quoting from the webpage, from the post above:

Meanwhile, Phoenix Labs marketing manager Nick Clifford believes there may be less crossover between Dauntless’ playerbase and Monster Hunter’s than people might think.

“We asked everyone from the alpha to list some of their favorite games that they’re currently playing,” Clifford said. “Monster Hunter does come up a lot, but surprisingly it’s mostly games like Warframe and Path of Exile — other player-versus-environment co-op games.”

8 hours ago, peterc3 said:

Open world, large monsters, co-op. So exciting. DE really needs to copy a game outside its genre, or players might leave Warframe for a completely different type of game. Monster Hunter is not the first, nor the only game of that type and there are numerous games of that type on PC already.

14 hours ago, Uthael said:

I wouldn't like to split my playtime or leave my time invested in Warframe.

8 hours ago, peterc3 said:

Then DE needs to rope in those card game players with a Hearthstone-style spin-off. Or they accept that this game is this game and other games are other games. 

Funny thing is... I used to play Path of Exile before I switched to Warframe. Right about the time when Plains of Eidolon was the new thing. So "PoE" was really confusing to me xD