Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sony’s announcement can lead to potential crossplay for all consoles (xb1, ps4, nintendo switch)

(PSN)Valar_Morgoolis

So Sony jus announced that today the open beta for cross play for fortnite on all platforms will start and that they will also reveal other selected games which will also be allowed crossplay, down the line. This means we could potentially hav crossplay for Warframe aka tripling our player population on consoles as a whole (xbox one, ps4, nintendo switch). How yall feel bout this and do yall hav any worries on how this might affect our player economy?

P.S. Yes we know that crossplay would not work with consoles (xb1, ps4, nintendo switch) and PC (remember PC isnt really considered a console) which is why for crossplay to work, it would only be for xb1, ps4, and Nintendo switch effectively excluding PC which sucks but nothing we can do bout it since yall get updates before us console players due to the certification process. 

Edited by (PS4)AZN_RH

Would be nice if there was some "opt-in" branch for console users that would allow "Experimental" updates that would be on par with the PC builds, but just any player in the "Experimental" branch wouldn't be able to play with other players on the default branch. Would be similar to how it works on Steam.

That could be one route for allowing crossplay between all platforms.

Edited by Sean

1 minute ago, Sean said:

Would be nice if there was some "opt-in" branch for console users that would allow "Experimental" updates that would be on par with the PC builds, but just any player in the "Experimental" branch wouldn't be able to play with other players on the default branch. Would be similar to how it works on Steam.

That could be one route for allowing crossplay between all platforms.

But consoles aren't behind because of a design choice by DE. They're behind because of the certification process. 

Basically you are not allowed to release anything for the playstation until it has been certified by Sony. Or on the xbox until it's been certified by Microsoft. Which means that once a build is ready, DE has to send it in and then wait for it to be certified before it can be released and made available for the console.

So it won't really be possible to have an experimental branch. Well, at least an experimental branch would still be delayed, since it would still have to go through certification before you are allowed to download it. Which would defeat the purpose of having an experimental branch in the first place.

34 minutes ago, rune_me said:

But consoles aren't behind because of a design choice by DE. They're behind because of the certification process. 

Basically you are not allowed to release anything for the playstation until it has been certified by Sony. Or on the xbox until it's been certified by Microsoft. Which means that once a build is ready, DE has to send it in and then wait for it to be certified before it can be released and made available for the console.

So it won't really be possible to have an experimental branch. Well, at least an experimental branch would still be delayed, since it would still have to go through certification before you are allowed to download it. Which would defeat the purpose of having an experimental branch in the first place.

Definitely agree that it's not something controlled by DE.

I should have worded it better in that I'm meaning "It would be nice if Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo added an opt-in branch....", and if there was such a thing it would have large text detailing the risks of "experimental" and "non-certified" updates.

Edited by Sean

2 minutes ago, (PS4)AZN_RH said:

tbh i agree on the fashion frame war but in general i dont like either console exclusive skins, tennogen for life!!!!!!

Rhino carbon fiber Xbox skin,  can't turn it off.....  Ok those blade of the Lotus skins are really yanking my wallet.. 

Nintendo will win,  steam needs to start doing better,  and rerelease theirs.. 

No crossplay cause different builds... And I guess no one ever thought about delaying the updates on PC as well until they get the green light on all versions.

I wouldn't even think about it for a second if only that would be the problem to play together on all platforms.

Edited by TBone142

6 minutes ago, TBone142 said:

No crossplay cause different builds... And I guess no one ever thought about delaying the updates on PC as well until they get the green light on all versions.

PC is the only build that is different which has already been mentioned, consoles on the other hand is a whole other story as they drop the updates the same day same build which would allow crossplay

Edited by (PS4)AZN_RH

1 hour ago, (PS4)AZN_RH said:

PC is the only build that is different which has already been mentioned, consoles on the other hand is a whole other story as they drop the updates the same day same build which would allow crossplay

You misunterstood my post. I was referring in general to all the other posts before me whose immediate reaction to crossplay was "it's impossible cause of the different builds consoles and PC have", and to me it seems that none of them would consider not releasing updates until they get their certificates on each versions.