Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[SPOILERS] Chimera Prologue

Nitro747

As much as anyone I was really surprised on how Ballas looked during the Chimera Prologue. So miserable, I even felt bad for the guy. And as much as most of us, I also initially thought that his lower half body was turned or somehow "upgraded" with Sentient technology, probably as a way to save his life from his wounds during The Sacrifice (although a simple surgery could also do the trick).
The thing is that, upon looking closer again, and upon checking the infested Ancient enemies, I noticed that the way his body looked was more similar to an Ancient rather than a Sentient. Lets take a look on Ancients:

Spoiler

7BF25FE05F7EF6A806DF746707C2A359B199D629

Spoiler

5E120E68316807B70F9052707A9F69EEF09387FB

Notice the shape of the legs, also, notice the inter-sectioning gap going further to the chest. And other smaller details that are in-between the gaps that is also present in Ballas. Also note how his left leg still had his calf dangling from his apparent prosthesis, a similar thing can be noticed on Ancients legs. And it also indicates that's something that either absorbed Ballas or works in a very screwed up way in conjunction with his body.

We know that the long right arm is already a weird similarity. But the thing is: is he turning into an Ancient or was Lotus who added the healing properties of the Infestation onto him. If so, why? Or is it a mixture of both infested flesh with Sentient technology?

To answer the question, this definitely sentient technology, but seems like it grow from the inside of him and by this, decay his body in a way it look similar to some infested flesh. Infestation generally grow over something and here, we clearly don't see any kind of infestation, just some sentient bones coming out of rotten flesh.

I say it's probably just Sentient tech. We have a precedent for Sentient matter being grafted into flesh - Revenant. The similarities between the Ancients and Ballas probably stem from the fact Ancients are infested Orokin, so either it's something to do with Orokin physiology or possibly Natah did it similarly on purpose to rub salt in the wound. Given how Infestation works, it's unlikely that an Orokin once infested can undergo Continuity to save them, so Ballas may well have lost friends to the Infestation and had them turn into that shape. So, that would make turning him into that shape extra painful.

1 minute ago, Nitro747 said:

It mentions a name and a body part, there is no way to take any conclusions without actually making the quest. But nope, the Forum Police will just storm in and de-rail the thread over something that minor. What next, we have to just name the threads as "spoilers" because one word or the other might make someone think something? Pft. Really starting to agree with some content creators when they mention this community.

In any case, is there anywhere saying that the infested Ancients are actually Orokin like Ballas, not just a random infested that got old and grew up to become a big boi?

As people have said, more than once, it's not the body part, it's the name. The name is the spoiler as it removes the uncertainty of Ballas's survival after the Sacrifice, and there is an alternative DE themselves used to avoid that spoiler, Chimera. At that point, it's just common courtesy to avoid spoilers in the title as much as possible by using that alternative. Everyone who's played it will know who you mean, and it stops people who haven't from being spoiled accidentally. It's a common practice in story and theory discussion, it's not unique to this community. Why are you so vehemently against it?

Anyway, yes there is evidence Ancients aren't just random Infested. Simaris's old synthesis imprints have a story related to it. The Corrupted Ancient imprint talks about an Orokin Healer (or, Lorist, to use the in-universe term) who got infested and produced a creature that, whilst not confirmed to be a healer by names, matches that description. Specific quote:

"I felt Remballa heal them. Why? Multiple connections now, I felt her many times over, it didn’t make sense, until it did; she was those things, all of them. They took our fire and kept coming. I felt her, no them, shudder as bullets ripped through flesh and then as flesh was made new again. They were Lorist Infested, my sister the healer, remade as monster and here to kill us. "

So, technically, all of the Ancients, or at least the healers, are Remballa in part. The Infestation has tendency to 'standardise' it's victims - this can be seen in the Kavor, who despite not wearing Grineer marine armour, upon being Infested, come out as infested wearing that armour. So a good chunk of the Infested found during that time would have mimicked the appearance of Infested Orokin, which over time mutated and evolved into the strain of Ancients we know today. Presumably, this is why modern Ancients can actively prevent injuries as well as heal them.

Regarding Ballas new leg, i'm pretty sure it's sentient. The aesthetic remind me of the Eidolon's leg. 

What really interest me is Ballas mourning over the fact that he was deprived of his death. This make me think about how easy he was to kill in the sacrifice, it may be because he wanted us to kill him.

14 hours ago, Nitro747 said:

In any case, is there anywhere saying that the infested Ancients are actually Orokin like Ballas, not just a random infested that got old and grew up to become a big boi?

Corrupted ancient lore from simaris.

Edit. Oh someone already pointed it out.

But in addition, the infested was originally created as a bio weapon against the sentients as sentients would absorb tech. They failed obviously. And l propose they gave the sentients the ability to merge with organics. Much like Alad V tweaking the infested to merge with tech with the mutalist strain. 

So we might see some more hybrids.

Edited by Firetempest

Ballas should be grateful to the Sentients for saving his life but angry at Tenno for killing him thus making the Sentients had to turn him into Sentient in order to save him. He should then be reintroduced as a boss of Lua.

2 hours ago, Toppien said:

im interested on why ballas wanted to die...maybe all orokin wanted to die?

on the topic at hand: yes its similar cuz ballas is a lorist and ancients are presumable orokin lorists that became infested, according to simaris imprint

Much on the contrary, they want to be immortal. But between dying in battle and being revived, turned into that monstrosity and apparently being used, controlled and under constant vigilance from the sentients seems to be a much worse fate than dying.

The Orokin are all caring about fashion, beauty, etc, its no wonder they romanticize even the way they get killed. Much like Norse people prefering to die while in battle as opposed of dying of old age.

It seemed to me that it went a bit like this after the sacrifice:

Ballas: Hey Sentients, here's how we made the frames out of Orokin citizens.

Sentients: That's interesting, lets make our own. Where can we find an Orokin? *STARE*

Ballas: Uh...

3 hours ago, Toppien said:

on the topic at hand: yes its similar cuz ballas is a lorist and ancients are presumable orokin lorists that became infested, according to simaris imprint

i'm pretty sure he just doesn't want to live as a grotesque warped monster-esque being under the manipulations of others. dying at the pinnacle of his life as a more or less god might be more ideal than that. 

7 minutes ago, Cubewano said:

i'm pretty sure he just doesn't want to live as a grotesque warped monster-esque being under the manipulations of others. dying at the pinnacle of his life as a more or less god might be more ideal than that. 

aren't they suppose to be immortal though? or is being struck by tenno/warframes bypass that it someway? 

10 minutes ago, GinKenshin said:

aren't they suppose to be immortal though? or is being struck by tenno/warframes bypass that it someway? 

they are and aren't immortal, so far as we're aware their physical forms can die, but they have a technology of sorts that can extend their life infinitely so long as they are able to use it which can in effect make them immortal. without it though they are just as mortal as anyone else in the system. 

Just now, Cubewano said:

they are and aren't immortal, so far as we're aware their physical forms can die, but they have a technology of sorts that can extend their life infinitely so long as they are able to use it which can in effect make them immortal. without it though they are just as mortal as anyone else in the system. 

yeah, continuity. but iirc from the cephalon fragments, ordis killed one of them and they got back up? so their bodies are immortal in a way 

Just now, GinKenshin said:

yeah, continuity. but iirc from the cephalon fragments, ordis killed one of them and they got back up? so their bodies are immortal in a way 

maybe my recollection is foggy but nobody got back up after the Ordan Karris incident, he killed them and then they weren't mentioned again outside Ballas saying they've all died many times before. 

Not only do Orokin need to undergo Continuity to maintain that "mortality," Tenno are the only beings that can truly kill an Orokin, because they can attack their Oro (soul/ego). It's part of why the Orokin regarded the Tenno as "devils." They're the only thing that can destroy an Orokin's soul to prevent them from undergoing Continuity.

On 2018-10-14 at 11:50 AM, Toppien said:

From what I can see, Ballas's motivations are probably mixed. He may have wanted to die because of regrets of his participation in Archimedian Margulis's death... he may feel, though I wonder sometimes, if he feels remorse on what he did to Umbra. So many motivations. Loneliness. Insanity. Any one of those is possible.

However.. and I've seen a few people say they'd love to kill Natah/The Lotus.. I don't. 

I've never felt sympathy for Ballas. Especially after what he did to Umbra. Honestly? I feel more sympathy for Hunhow and even Natah. They did not ask for their fate, did they? 

Ballas was responsible for weaponizing the Tenno. 

If I were the Lotus.. I can see her, seriously becoming the head of a syndicate of the Sentients.. much like the way the Ergo Glas is head of a Corpus syndicate, and Cressa Tal is the head of a Grineer syndicate. 

The Tenno IMO have matured to the point of leading themselves, along with Ordis as a guide.