Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

24.6gb of junk data in Warframe folder?

RS219

When I checked my Warframe folder I saw it was a whopping 53.4gb in size. I checked with a friend and he told me his was only 28.2gb in size.

I ran the launcher and picked "optimize" - the folder size increased to 66gb, then shrank down to 30.2gb, then went back to 53.4gb.

So I went and deleted everything. I had Steam uninstall Warframe and investigated the folder. 24.6gb of clutter taken up by.... useless files?

So I deleted all of that and reinstalled Warframe. Now it's sitting at a nicer size of 28.8gb. I'm not sure why my friend's folder is still 0.6gb smaller (and why this alternate computer's warframe folder is 28.6gb, 0.2gb smaller) but whatever. Point is, that was alot of space I just freed up. 76.5gb of free space just shot up to a nice 100gb of free space.

So just a reminder to everyone to check your Warframe folder, and periodically delete it all and reinstall where possible.

Now, I'm going to delete everything again and see if I can trim it down further to my friend's folder size of 28.2gb.

1 hour ago, Kromatia said:

Mainline updates ask you if you want to validate the download and it wipes unnecessary files. At least it should. I haven't gone to check it so I wouldn't know if it actually does or not.

Go and right-click>properties your Warframe folder, see how many GBs it takes up.

I redownloaded the game after wiping the folder once more; 28.8GB again so I'm leaving it at that.

Steam says the size is 16.9 GB, the actual folder size is 31.9 GB, been doing Optimizing every mainline update since a few years back, never reinstalled it.

Edit: Just did another optimize, 31.5 GB.

Edited by HellVOps
Testing

28 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

Have you played the game since then?

Why yes, I just came off the catalyst alert, and a whole pile of leveling other junk. Folder size is still sitting at a comfortable 28.8gb for me.

Edited by RS219

4 hours ago, peterc3 said:

Have you played the game since then?

With the latest update it came with the "Do you want to optimize" decision. My install from Steam is almost at 29GB.

That 29GB maybe just the base download. If DE does the downloading per scene to save waiting to download 29GB, that will mean the game will take more space over time (also if DE doesn't delete old data packs).

On 2018-12-24 at 2:33 AM, RS219 said:

Go and right-click>properties your Warframe folder, see how many GBs it takes up.

I redownloaded the game after wiping the folder once more; 28.8GB again so I'm leaving it at that.

28.7 GB in the Steamapps folder for Warframe. 28.9 GB for the Discord install. Are you using the standalone client?

Mine's only 28.5GB (also in the Program Files (x86) -> Steam -> steamapps -> common folder).

EDIT:

-----------

Just gone into the Warframe folder and noticed there are 2 Warframe application files:

Warframe    ->   31-Oct-17    ->    25,922KB

Warframe.x64    ->    21-Dec-18    ->    36,630KB

Just wondering if I should delete the older one?

Edited by FlusteredFerret

11 minutes ago, FlusteredFerret said:

Mine's only 28.5GB (also in the Program Files (x86) -> Steam -> steamapps -> common folder).

EDIT:

-----------

Just gone into the Warframe folder and noticed there are 2 Warframe application files:

Warframe    ->   31-Oct-17    ->    25,922KB

Warframe.x64    ->    21-Dec-18    ->    36,630KB

Just wondering if I should delete the older one?

Normal Warframe is for 32bit computer/OS and Warframe.x64 is obviously for 64bit computer/OS.

IIRC, I think in the DEV stream someone said that they'll drop 32bit support in the near future and beginning to be operate fully on 64bit.

I would not recommanded you to delete the file until DE said so... it's just a couple of MB anyway...