Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Radiation is pink? Is it bug or intended?

Kainosh

It doesnt quite suit Radiation theme.    Imagine if Radiation hazards also were pink (for consistency)....it would look kinda weird.

I prefer natural elemental colors on my weapons...and pink color feels very out of place.   And....Dark swords/daggers look girly now. 

Turquoise color were better.   Its natural glow color for radioactive elements.

You could just change the color in your arsenal. I don’t like 90% of the stock colors on things and DE expected this, so they gave the ability to get color packs.

If you don’t like the elemental effect of a melee weapon, they also gave you the option to turn that off.

Edited by (PS4)Kamranos

For the most part radioactive elements do not glow. They can be used to impart energy to fluorescent or phosphorescent materials to cause them to glow. The few radioactive elements I know of that can glow "on their own" (though this is a simplification) glow in red, yellow or pale blue.

There is nothing wrong with pink. 

33 minutes ago, Kainosh said:

Turquoise color were better.   Its natural glow color for radioactive elements.

Most wavelengths of radiation are invisible, so if we're going accurate then it shouldn't show up. The closest colour to it is violet, which is close to pink.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kylo. said:

Can I see a source for this? Thanks.

Yeah...sure, just google it. Type "radiation glow" and see all screen going green.   Not because it glows like that...but because its common to picture radioactive stuff as glowing green sht.

11 minutes ago, Ottofyre said:

For the most part radioactive elements do not glow.

At all.    Only if mixed with fluorescent stuff.  Or if radiation goes through glass or sht...i dont quite remember.

But most common fluorescent color is green/pale blue.   All other Variations are pretty weak and not commonly used. 

So...Best color to say "THIS IS RADIATION" is Turquoise.  Its known. Its common.  You see green glowing chunk, you immediately think "radiation".

Also, Rad hazard missions still use old color.   In missions its turquoise, and on weapons its pink?  Inconsistent.    

Its just....Pink does not look dangerous.  Its....a friendly color.  

Actually, Cerenkov radiation released from water is a pale blue, perhaps slightly violet https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherenkov_radiation. This is the only way in which you're going to actually see it (unless it hits a phosphor).

What colour is the energy in your weapon set to? Because I'd bet it's pink. Effects take on the colour of your weapon's energy now.

• Like 1

.. nice job cutting off my quote and trying to explain something to me that I've already explained to you... 🙄

Their in-game radiation doesn't at all behave like real-world radiation anyway. Nitpicking the color seems a little absurd.

1 hour ago, Kainosh said:

Dark swords/daggers look girly now. 

It's just the default color. If pink threatens you somehow then just change it. 

Edited by Ottofyre
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ottofyre said:

nice job cutting off my quote

I just agreed with you....

Anyway...

My point is :  If basic Radiation color is pink, then Radiation hazards and Enemy attacks with Radiation damage should also be pink.  Otherwise its a design flaw.

Because Fire Hazards are always Orange.  And Magnetic is always Light-blue.   Toxin is always Green.   Easy to recognise it in enemy attacks and hazards.

While radiation is inconsistent.   Tar - yellow,  Orokin laser - orange,  Rad hazard missions - bluish-green....And now Weapon VFX is pink.

I want to find suitable, universal color that will fit all these attacks/hazards/vfx.  To make Radiation VFX recognisable throughout the game.

I find soft pink color....unsuitable for Level Hazards and enemy Attacks.  No matter how i look at it. Will not work.  And, therefore, it cant be used as "basic" color.

Hope i made it clear enough now.... 

10 hours ago, Kainosh said:

I just agreed with you....

Anyway...

My point is :  If basic Radiation color is pink, then Radiation hazards and Enemy attacks with Radiation damage should also be pink.  Otherwise its a design flaw.

Because Fire Hazards are always Orange.  And Magnetic is always Light-blue.   Toxin is always Green.   Easy to recognise it in enemy attacks and hazards.

While radiation is inconsistent.   Tar - yellow,  Orokin laser - orange,  Rad hazard missions - bluish-green....And now Weapon VFX is pink.

I want to find suitable, universal color that will fit all these attacks/hazards/vfx.  To make Radiation VFX recognisable throughout the game.

I find soft pink color....unsuitable for Level Hazards and enemy Attacks.  No matter how i look at it. Will not work.  And, therefore, it cant be used as "basic" color.

Hope i made it clear enough now.... 

I dunno what you're complaining about, my radiation procs are bright green.

55 minutes ago, DoomFruit said:

I dunno what you're complaining about, my radiation procs are bright green.

Im complaining about difference in color between Rad proc and Rad VFX.    Proc is green, while VFX is pink.

Look, even on the Icon this sword is Turquoise by default. Yet in my hands its pink.  Pretty sure its a bug.

Ot81z1I.jpg

Edited by Kainosh

Im complaining about difference in color between Rad proc and Rad VFX.    Proc is green, while VFX is pink.

Look, even on the Icon this sword is Turquoise by default. Yet in my hands its pink.  Pretty sure its a bug.

(snip image)

tatsu.jpg

Ok. I give up.    Its futile when you guys are being like that.   Cant be helped.

I have no idea what the point you're trying to make is. You say that your radiation procs are pink, well that's because all procs are now the same colour as your weapon's energy. If you don't want pink radiation procs, give yourself not pink energy. It's easy.

3 hours ago, DoomFruit said:

I have no idea what the point you're trying to make is. You say that your radiation procs are pink, well that's because all procs are now the same colour as your weapon's energy. If you don't want pink radiation procs, give yourself not pink energy. It's easy.

What he's saying is that the default energy colour of radiation on melee weapons is pink. He thinks it's inconsistent with other sources of radiation in the game, and wants it to change. Also he can't handle the colour pink existing and thinks it's too "girly".

What he's failed to say satisfactorily is WHY it should change. He said that:

On 2019-03-09 at 5:55 PM, Kainosh said:

its common to picture radioactive stuff as glowing green sht

Being common isn't an argument FOR something. We have eyes and can see in its stats that a weapon deals radiation damage. We don't need to see that it's glowing green to understand that. He also hasn't stated why he doesn't simply change the energy colour of the weapon to make it look like the colour that he wants - I mean it's not like there are hundreds or even thousands of individual shades for him to pick which aren't the harbinger of death, PINK. It's not like it's even a pale pink you'd see on a Barbie doll or something. It's a violent-ass pink with a really sick navy blue trail. But clearly the act of cleaving a space zombie in two just doesn't feel the same if there's even an implication of femininity involved.

Fun fact, the Nazis were the ones who ascribed blue to boys and pink to girls! Before that, it was the other way around. It's almost as if a colour has no inherent implication of gender or any other kind of human trait, and it's down to some weird human interpretation that there has to be some kind of meaning behind dope ass colours.

Edited by iLightning13
spelling mistakes

13 hours ago, iLightning13 said:

What he's saying is that the default energy colour of radiation on melee weapons is pink. He thinks it's inconsistent with other sources of radiation in the game, and wants it to change. Also he can't handle the colour pink existing and thinks it's too "girly".

(emphasis mine)

It's not, though. The dark weapons (sword, split sword, dagger, rakta dagger) have a bright vivid yellow as their default energy colour. If anything, they're a better representation of radiation melee weapons since they don't do any other kind of damage. Weapon default colours are pretty much independent of what their base damage spread is.

9 hours ago, DoomFruit said:

(emphasis mine)

It's not, though. The dark weapons (sword, split sword, dagger, rakta dagger) have a bright vivid yellow as their default energy colour.

Could I see a source for that please? I don't have any of those weapons.

Here's a few examples of what I'm talking about. The energy on these weapons are default and their highest element is radiation.

CmjgnRI.png

3KanGgM.png

OmuHnfu.png

If you put Excal's energy colour to default, and mod his exalted blade for radiation, his exalted blade will glow pink as well, just as another example.

Edited by iLightning13

1 hour ago, iLightning13 said:

Could I see a source for that please? I don't have any of those weapons.

Here's a few examples of what I'm talking about. The energy on these weapons are default and their highest element is radiation.

If you put Excal's energy colour to default, and mod his exalted blade for radiation, his exalted blade will glow pink as well, just as another example.

I just went to test it... and it turns out that you're right.

All of my weapons were modded for corrosive + fire in addition to radiation, so corrosive was the highest element. Putting their colours to all default gave me yellow energy, but going to both an unmodded preset and an uncoloured appearance does indeed give pink energy as default.

Modded build:

Warframe0000.jpg

Unmodded build:

Warframe0001.jpg

Kainosh: you have my apologies, I got things completely wrong.

And yes, pink is an unusual colour for radiation. Inconsistent with both the existing in-game representation (cyan) and with what little examples of Cherenkov radiation you would be able to see with your eyes in the real world (blue to pale violet).

1 hour ago, DoomFruit said:

Kainosh: you have my apologies, I got things completely wrong.

No worries man!

1 hour ago, DoomFruit said:

And yes, pink is an unusual colour for radiation. Inconsistent with both the existing in-game representation (cyan) and with what little examples of Cherenkov radiation you would be able to see with your eyes in the real world (blue to pale violet).

Can't deny though, the FX when swinging it looks pretty sick.

I feel like DE went RGB -> CMY to further differentiate Ice, Magnetic, Electric and Radiation as well as taking into account which element goes into which (Fire red + electric = bang). I am not a fan of the purply/pinky neither because it looks weird to me, but welp, I play with effects off because I just find it too intrusive once combined.

Edited by NightmareT12

Everything is better in pink ❤️ but yeah, it was a bit surprising colour wise. Not complaining, but I was expecting a pale green or teal colour similar to the hazard. I'm fine with the hazards being coloured pink in next update though. 😛