Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra Forma Suggestion to make it really cool.

(PSN)Stealth_Cobra

First, since nobody has it yet, it could already be the implemented for all I know...

But can you please make it so that when an user puts an Umbra forma on a frame, it gives the frame sentience like Excalibur Umbra.

Let's face it, you guys will never have the time to make every frame into an Umbra frame... Nor should you as it would invalidate all our hard earned primes.

Giving users the ability to in effect make our own homemade umbras would be great. Maybe release a couple universal scarf cosmetics and we'll be able to make our favorite frames into umbras... Use Excalibur umbra's animations, a scarf and a similar color a scheme, put a couple Umbra formas and you got yourself ash / chroma / whatever umbra.

It's not even alot of work for you guys , or imbalanced as you can already make sentient frames by using specters. 

Counter argument : It would make new Umbra frames non special .... Not really, since they would come with new umbral mods and would have different powers to damage sentients, plus probably better stats.

Other Counter argument : What about the lore. Well, we know frames have an organic being in them, but are probably "wiped" to have zero personality. Maybe the forma could reawaken dormant parts. Besides we already have specters in both junctions and as consumables, so it's not a stretch.

Edited by (PS4)Stealth_Cobra

3 minutes ago, (PS4)Stealth_Cobra said:

It would make new Umbra frames non special .... Not really, since they would come with new umbral mods

I assume you have a juicy sauce for that?

As for the suggestion, I disagree, simply because it's not something I want. The act of getting Excal Umbra and seeing his story through his eyes lends itself well to his sentience.

Getting an Umbral Forma (which I have reservations about in itself), slapping it onto a frame and it magically coming to life... that has no meaning whatsoever, and honestly I can see missions ending up with just 4 people afking in their Operators whilst their Umbra Octavia/Saryn/Excalibur/Frost cast abilities and shoot everything for them. That's not gameplay I wish to see encouraged.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

As for the suggestion, I disagree, simply because it's not something I want. The act of getting Excal Umbra and seeing his story through his eyes lends itself well to his sentience.

Getting an Umbral Forma (which I have reservations about in itself), slapping it onto a frame and it magically coming to life... that has no meaning whatsoever, and honestly I can see missions ending up with just 4 people afking in their Operators whilst their Umbra Octavia/Saryn/Excalibur/Frost cast abilities and shoot everything for them. That's not gameplay I wish to see encouraged.

did they add the ability to add umbra formas to non umbra stuff? i havent touched warframe in a long time since my friend got me hooked on destiny

5 minutes ago, --Laughing-Soul-- said:

did they add the ability to add umbra formas to non umbra stuff? i havent touched warframe in a long time since my friend got me hooked on destiny

Yeah, rank 29 of the Nightwave system awards an Umbral Forma.

19 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

1 minute ago, --Laughing-Soul-- said:

think ill throw my voice here to clarify some things and or make some semblance 

as of now with nigthwaves in the later tier you can ear 1x umbra forma to forma anything frame, weapon ect

on the concept of all frames sentience we know per tsd and vitruvian form the sacrifice that all frames do have it  , but when the tenno bonded to them the primes/vanillas  seemed to relax and no long be so erratic and then restrictions to their own movement were probably place in them

best example is rhino prime lore 

so technically they all can do it, umbra excalibur just broke the restrictions 

and on dev 125 we have had confirmation of devs talking on continuing the umbra line so if the sentience does pass on to others then that might help other players wanting this on other frames

2 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Yeah, rank 29 of the Nightwave system awards an Umbral Forma.

ooooh nice, i only remember them saying they wouldnt do it in a dev stream. well when i start playing again it'll be time to dust off my excal prime and bring him up to umbra's level of power.

As for the post topic, id be against the suggestion since it makes no logical sense, umbra frames have sentience because of the way they were produced. polarizing a mod slot wouldnt add a mind into the frame.

2 minutes ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

think ill throw my voice here to clarify some things and or make some semblance 

as of now with nigthwaves in the later tier you can ear 1x umbra forma to forma anything frame, weapon ect

on the concept of all frames sentience we know per tsd and vitruvian form the sacrifice that all frames do have it  , but when the tenno bonded to them the primes/vanillas  seemed to relax and no long be so erratic and then restrictions to their own movement were probably place in them

best example is rhino prime lore 

so technically they all can do it, umbra excalibur just broke the restrictions 

and on dev 125 we have had confirmation of devs talking on continuing the umbra line so if the sentience does pass on to others then that might help other players wanting this on other frames

I'm not sure I needed the clarification, but thank you?

2 hours ago, (PS4)Stealth_Cobra said:

Let's face it, you guys will never have the time to make every frame into an Umbra frame

This is explicitly not the case. Only a few will have it, if any, it is not going to be all of them.

Canonically, Umbra is a branch that splits before the regular versions are made. Much like a digital photo, you can remove data but you cannot retrieve it again. They really shouldn't, and hopefully don't, make a throwaway item into something with that much significance.

4 hours ago, peterc3 said:

This is explicitly not the case. Only a few will have it, if any, it is not going to be all of them.

Canonically, Umbra is a branch that splits before the regular versions are made. Much like a digital photo, you can remove data but you cannot retrieve it again. They really shouldn't, and hopefully don't, make a throwaway item into something with that much significance. 

The thing is, I think Warframes having sentience improves the game, overall.. It makes frames feel more alive and makes players feel like warframe and operator are a team, switching back and forth like a dynamic duo instead of being a kid that hijacks an inanimate object.

It also solves a gameplay plot hole, the fact you can switch into your operator , walk 20 kilometers, then switch back to your warframe and poof, it's magically teleported there. With sentient frames, it makes sense since the frame just moves on it's own and follows behind your operator, but without sentience, it makes no sense that the immobile husk you left behind 20 kilometers away magically warps to where you operator stopped moving.

Keep in mind non-umbra frames do show sentience already, just not all of the time. Think of when your frame broke the war after being stabbed by it in Second Dream.. That was sentience on a frame not know to have sentience.

I know canonically, not all warframes probably had umbra prototypes, and I'm fine with that., since i'm not asking for the real deal. I just want the ability to awaken the creature inside the frame, to make it more than a husk of metal and infested tissue.

DE will never be able to release 40+ different umbras, since making custom quests take time...  So at best we'll probably be getting like one a year, and that's being optimistic.... Problem is , we all have our favorite frames, and even if  de does release X new umbras over the next five years, it probably won't be our favorite umbras...  Let's say we end up getting mag, volt and rhino over the next few years ,that's still like 37 ish frames that are not getting an umbra form and being stuck as an inanimate object being poseesed by a kid.

Which is why I'm proposing an in-between... Give us a way to awaken the dormant creature inside our frame and to commune with it through a very rare orokin collectible, making players decide which of their frame they want to make become sentient.

Again, in a perfect world, I would love it if when using an umbral forma, a small, minute long interactive sequence would trigger where you would walk in an abstract void thing . maybe with a couple lore lines being played , then reaching he conscience inside the frame and communing with it, but that might be too much work , unless it's a generic sequence that plays the same for every frame when you put an umbra forma on it... But I would be more than happy with just the ability to use an umbral forma to "merge" into the frame and tap into the being inside.

Edited by (PS4)Stealth_Cobra

1 hour ago, (PS4)Stealth_Cobra said:

DE will never be able to release 40+ different umbras

They are explicitly never going to do this, therefore it is not a reason for Umbra Forma to do any of this.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Stealth_Cobra said:

Keep in mind non-umbra frames do show sentience already, just not all of the time. Think of when your frame broke the war after being stabbed by it in Second Dream.. That was sentience on a frame not know to have sentience.

They have always had a degree of personality, otherwise they would all act the same and hold weapons the same. That is not the same thing as Excal Umbra, something created to inflict a great degree of pain on a personal enemy of Ballas. More Umbra frames require more plot, not a generic cutscene. There is none of what's left in Umbra in other frames. You've created plot problems by thinking you are fixing them.

Funny thing, I recently started playing again and brought a couple friends into the game, they have just finished the main story arc and had the same thoughts as you. I completely agree from only going with the lore/cinematics in game, that are discombobulated at best, it makes sense and I would love to see a mini story play out where we could make a choice to make our favorite frame sentient.

That said, the Dev streams and those that follow the Dev's Twitter accounts have chimed in and something many super casual players (2-4 hours a week on a Saturday morning) wouldn't be aware of. It's unfortunate but I imagine DE will make only Umbra versions of the starter frames or perhaps the player bases most played frames, or whichever ones they can make a good story for. Or I could be wrong and they make Umbras of only new frames yet undiscovered. In either case, I'm giving up all hope of them ever letting me have a sentient Valkyr or Saryn.

12 minutes ago, (PS4)jaggerwanderer said:

I'm surprise people don't use spectres that often. Drops an item, poof, instance umbra frame.

specters dont have moded gear, it just scales of the lvl of the mission. it means no crit or status based guns with then.

just because there are other solutions for something, it dont mean we cant have something else.

also, i dont care about specters, I want my beloved frame to be as cool as umbra boi.

Edited by Kazur90

3 hours ago, (PS4)jaggerwanderer said:

Question, when does a player want to be in operator form fighting along side their warframe? AFK defense? Survival camping? Eidolon hunting?

When we want to be more immersed. At least that's my case
I like the idea. All Frames do have sentience. And taking that away from Umbra doesn't take away his uniquness. HIs 2 is different from base Excal already, and like many have said above, Frames have shown sentience on the Second Dream quest.

I personally think the later frames after Umbra actually has somekind of restrictions to stop the frames to let them move on their own. Adding an item to release them would be great.
And to elaborate more on this I think it would be great if we get Operator-Frame interactions and collaboration skills to enhance playability for operators and give us some cool new moves.
The focus system needs a look anyway and it would act great when we start fighting Sentients in the New War.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Xarteros said:

The only reason Excalibur Umbra is sentient is because he was originally sentient and BECAME Excalibur. Our current warframes are grown as empty vessels to contain our transference.

but it dont mean that they cant gain sentience after ther creation.

9 hours ago, (PS4)jaggerwanderer said:

Question, when does a player want to be in operator form fighting along side their warframe? AFK defense? Survival camping? Eidolon hunting?

with the new operator arcanes, magus repair and magus lockdown (i think) operators became very powerful, and can fight very well as a support, CC and do a good damage as well. having a sentient frame is very useful to deal with armored enemies that operators amps are weak againts.

vor 49 Minuten schrieb Xarteros:

The only reason Excalibur Umbra is sentient is because he was originally sentient and BECAME Excalibur. Our current warframes are grown as empty vessels to contain our transference.

Second Dream thou showed our warframe acting on its own and that was way before Umbra was even a thing at all, same goes for some Lore in Mirages and Limbos entrys stating sentient behavior, same goes for Rhinos Primes Codex Entry.

3 hours ago, Marine027 said:

Second Dream thou showed our warframe acting on its own and that was way before Umbra was even a thing at all, same goes for some Lore in Mirages and Limbos entrys stating sentient behavior, same goes for Rhinos Primes Codex Entry.

I did forget about that, to be honest, but I don't think it's the same sort of sentience as Umbra. Being able to act on an animal instinct sort of level (and struggling massively to do so) is a lot different than starting out as a fully operational sentient creature and being modified to become a warframe.

This is a really neat idea and would not be hard to justify in the game's lore. Considering the umbral formas are a very rare resource (one every 10ish weeks, after weeks of grinding nightwave), this would make said umbral formas a much more interesting reward. It might also encourage people to put these on their primes if they don't want to wait and see if an umbral version of their favourite frames come out at some point.