Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The new melee System is garbage and has taken the fun out of Warframe for me

5 minutes ago, Ced23Ric said:

That seems to be the bottom line.

I am fine with learning new ways to play the game. In Warframe you have to do it all the time considering how often you switch from frame to frame and weapon to weapon. Thats not the issue. The issue is they took away what I loved best and replaced it with something that is far worse. It has crippled my ability to enjoy the game. 

Different is fine. Worse is not. 

Just now, (PS4)Coyote_x_Starrk said:

The issue is they took away what I loved best and replaced it with something that is far worse. It has crippled my ability to enjoy the game. Different is fine. Worse is not. 

Considering blocking and blocking combos are still in (see above) and you can still perform all the combos... you're mostly complaining about the melee weapon being put away when aim-gliding, right? As for worse, you'll find the majority disagree, because vectored groundslams have pushed mobility to new heights, the instant switch between gun and blade has allowed us to go into a blenderfest and come out blazing while we close the distance, and we're overall faster, use melee more as the hurdle of switching is gone, and we have received an overall buff to DPS that way.

Worse is subjective. Be unwilling to adapt or inform oneself doesn't make something worse, though. And the dramatic hyperbole doesn't help either.

And to repeat myself:

1 hour ago, Ced23Ric said:

"Re: Melee 2.75 - I'd like a toggle option for the melee switch, and a way to bind block separately from aiming. Thanks."

There's your entire feedback post.

10 minutes ago, (PS4)Coyote_x_Starrk said:

I am fine with learning new ways to play the game. In Warframe you have to do it all the time considering how often you switch from frame to frame and weapon to weapon. Thats not the issue. The issue is they took away what I loved best and replaced it with something that is far worse. It has crippled my ability to enjoy the game. 

Different is fine. Worse is not. 

The only thing worse about this from my experience is the lack of a block button  everything else is fine imo

combat has never been more fluid the old system felt stiff

2 minutes ago, Ced23Ric said:

Worse is subjective. Be unwilling to adapt or inform oneself doesn't make something worse, though. And the dramatic hyperbole doesn't help either.

I agree. But that is not what I am doing. I spent 4 hours trying to get used to the new system and only got more frustrated and dissatisfied the longer I tried to get used to it. Its not like I just saw the new system and immediately came here to complain. I gave it a shot. I genuinely tried. So trying to paint me as someone who is just afraid of change or doesn't want to adapt is just not gonna fly. I have had to change and adapt to plenty of changes throughtout my time playing Warframe. I have had to relearn Warframes and weapons on multiple occasions due to nerfs, buffs, meta changes, and reworks. I am 100% on board with adapting, but this was just over the line for me. If you disagree and enjoy the new system then I am genuinely happy for you I really am. But I am not. We will just have to agree to disagree. 

4 minutes ago, (PS4)Coyote_x_Starrk said:

We will just have to agree to disagree. 

Wise words.

Now, are you going to make a feedback post? This is your first topic since 2017, and when it could have been a conciseprecise, and polite post in #Feedback, you made it a rant in #GeneralDiscussion, exposing yourself to the ridicule of others while not telling the only people who matter, i.e. the developers, what you would like. You may get responses here, but that's like getting excited about people on the bus looking at you when you were yearning for your crush to look at you on the school yard. It's not what you want, or what you need.

Now, put all that charged and emotional energy away, that dramatic exposition of who you are, where you came from, the anecdotes which are special to you, yet a dime a dozen in the grand scheme of things, and make a post in #Feedback, where Steve can look at it and see: "Yeah, okay, maybe I'll make the switch a toggle, and have block be bound to same key as aiming, but with the option to rebind it." You're only shooting yourself in the foot there, bud. Toss your heartfelt feedback out into the pig pen like that, and not only will it get dirty, it won't even get noticed.

I am contractually obligated to say this, should you leave/uninstall: "Can I have your stuff?". No player, in the history of Warframe or any other game, has ever changed anything with leaving the game. Ask me about it. I used to moderate these forums. ;)

10 minutes ago, PatternistSlave said:

Might want to give it some time.  I mean change is hard, but I think it's made the game a lot more fluid.  I mean if you're not wanting to use your gun at all can't you just take it off?

I have seen this suggested. I might have no choice but to try this. I just feel like deliberately removing my ability to do ranged damage just to be able to mimic what I did before to be kind of silly. Even though I rarely ever used guns it was always nice to have a back up in case my chosen melee weapon came up against something that required a bit more oompf. It was nice to have Soma P or my Akstilletto P to shred more beefy targets. 

23 minutes ago, (PS4)Coyote_x_Starrk said:

I have seen this suggested. I might have no choice but to try this. I just feel like deliberately removing my ability to do ranged damage just to be able to mimic what I did before to be kind of silly. Even though I rarely ever used guns it was always nice to have a back up in case my chosen melee weapon came up against something that required a bit more oompf. It was nice to have Soma P or my Akstilletto P to shred more beefy targets. 

Well doing what you describe is hella better now.  Maybe give it some time to get used to.  I actively dislike shooters, but the change made using guns pretty fun at least for me.  Has a more Devil May Cry feel I think.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, (PS4)Coyote_x_Starrk said:

Not only did you take away my block combo

How do so many people think block combos were removed. They're still there. They're still on the combo list. They still function and are pulled off exactly as they were before. Only cases where the quick switch should hurt you is block combing with a sniper equipped, in which case just pull out your secondary, or when you're playing valkyr with her talons because you'll lose invincibility everytime you stop attacking. That change was a huge benefit that made melee combos as worthwhile as quick melee. 

I do miss block too, but that makes it you me and about 5 other people world wide. Guardian derision used to be absolutely amazing aggro now it's pretty meh. Was good for kuva survival, squad tanking and really good for charging baruuk's special resource. Now it'll only get you shot at if you're already being shot at. 

• Like 2

It took me few weeks to totally get used to the new system. I think the new melee changes are mainly to improve the synergy between guns and melee weapons. Have you tried any good combination of primary/secondary weapons and melees? Switching is now much faster and it’s very good especially for builds that require fast switching between weapons. This is good for taking differ by enemies some are weaker to melee in the short range and some are in longer range likely most bosses. 

Complaining about not being able to aim glide with melee(something done by blocking while in air) without assigning a separate button for blocking. RMB will make you ADS your weapon, if you assign a button, let's say "G" to blocking holding that button will BLOCK. Simple as that. I find the new melee system better.

6 hours ago, (PS4)Coyote_x_Starrk said:

If I wanted to block then I would just press the damn block button! THATS WHY THE BUTTON WAS THERE

The button for blocking is still there, set it a different button and all your complaints are gone. Check the settings before complaining.

Edited by -CoI-IAmNotMatthew

45 minutes ago, -CoI-IAmNotMatthew said:

Complaining about not being able to aim glide with melee(something done by blocking while in air) without assigning a separate button for blocking. RMB will make you ADS your weapon, if you assign a button, let's say "G" to blocking holding that button will BLOCK. Simple as that. I find the new melee system better.

The button for blocking is still there, set it a different button and all your complaints are gone. Check the settings before complaining.

I am a PS4 player. Check my username before being condescending. 

Edited by (PS4)Coyote_x_Starrk

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Coyote_x_Starrk said:

I am a PS4 player. Check my username before being condescending. 

To use a USB keyboard or mouse with PS4™

1. Plug the device into an open USB port on the front of the PS4™.

2. The PS4™ will recognize the new device and ask who is using it. Choose the profile that you'd like to pair to the device.

3. You can now use the keyboard to navigate the PS4™ system menus, input text, browse the web, and more.

4. Keyboard type (language), key repeat delay, and key repeat rate can be changed by going to [Settings] > [Devices] > [External Keyboard].

• Like 3

Just now, -CoI-IAmNotMatthew said:

To use a USB keyboard or mouse with PS4™

1. Plug the device into an open USB port on the front of the PS4™.

2. The PS4™ will recognize the new device and ask who is using it. Choose the profile that you'd like to pair to the device.

3. You can now use the keyboard to navigate the PS4™ system menus, input text, browse the web, and more.

4. Keyboard type (language), key repeat delay, and key repeat rate can be changed by going to [Settings] > [Devices] > [External Keyboard].

If I wanted to use a keyboard and mouse I would buy a PC. 

• Like 2

Works for me. Hitting enemies with a high status gun and finishing them with a condition overload melee has never been easier. Very smooth gameplay. I haven't had a problem with combos at all. That block combo with Tempo Royale is one of my favorites too and I haven't noticed any difficulty using it. I still run many melee only builds and frames and find little difference except for positive changes like the new directional slam.

It's highly subjective. I like it.

• Like 1

Honestly, saying it is a horrible system entirely is purely opinion. I feel like your criticism is almost demanding your point of view is the consensus of all players. All in all, the changes are not favorable to "your" playstyle. I'm not saying there isnt a number of players disappointed by the melee changes, I just feel the way your complaint is presented is just a silly diatribe and not very constructive in it's own right. You just spend the entire rant talking about how the changes relate to "you" and how horrible they are relative to your playstyle without offering up any suggestions until the very end that really is only bringing back something they took out. So, I'm not sure what you're looking for in terms of commentary from other players. If you're looking for something constructive, try being constructive yourself.

Hold the aim then tap melee for "block combo" it's not that difficult not that it matters because it's all changing anyway channeling is being replaced with heavy attacks for a proper combo system. pay attention to the devstreams and they tell you what they are doing or you can be whiny twit and throw a tantrum like a 3 year old

I'm going to just say, even with all this time of using the new system, it's still TERRIBAD.

* I hate using guns - I only used them for ranged things like Dargyns or an Ancient Healer making their surrounding hordes nearly immortal.

* I also hate the ground-slam-launching effect... I used to use ground slams to knock enemies down for finishers... now they get blown away, able to stand up and recover and start shooting at me from a distance again... how much worse can that get?

* I hate using the combos that launch me all over the place and make me do fancy twirls and root me in place and look fancy to do nothing but take control away from me. I liked quick-melee (sword/shield still has free movement in its "combo", but it lacks the range of polearm's diagonal slashes that hit flying and ground targets.)

The halting, herky-jerky-combo-rooting new melee system is as far from "fluid" and fun... it's actively making my want to play other games. Pre-nerf melee was fast and fluid, and perfectly suited to wading into a horde of enemies, slicing through them like a ghostly ninja blender of death. I don't know why they had to remove this over what we got to replace it.

With this change, I have zero confidence that the new simplified combo system will make any of that any better. I expect worse now.

(I've posted in Feedback, so this is just part of the general discussion, to show that it's not entirely personal opinion... there are objective changes to how the game plays now, that actually impact gameplay in a BAD way, and is ultimately worse, not in an "opinion" way, entirely.)

• Like 1

Aight chief. Few things. As a ps4 player and an incredibly heavy melee user I understand your concerns and arguments, however, a lot of the points you've brought up are pretty negligible or just downright wrong. You can still do block combos. My tempo royale stanced heavy blade zaw can and will attest to that.

There's actually 0 utility to bring able to aim glide with your melee or besides MAYBE some positioning advantages, and that's a hard maybe. 

The auto block is jarring sure but the best part about it is how busted it is at its current state. Sometimes you can get away with attacking and blocking at the same time which nets you free damage and energy (assuming you're running rage or hunter adrenaline). I don't mind it so much because I really only held block for combos (which you can still do mind you) and now I get more utility out of a feature that I rarely used before. Actually getting a proper Parry -> front finisher is pretty cool but void daddy forbid I sit there holding L2 with my thumb up my *** waiting for a butcher to hit me so I can do it. 

The weapon switching was also something I was very concerned about but after getting used to the new system I have to say I prefer this a lot more. Having to hold down triangle and wait a good second to put my gun away was a risk. That second or so could very well mean life or death. BUT NOW, if I'm getting my cheeks clapped I can INSTANTLY swap to my melee, pop channeling and life strike my way back to full health in about the same time it would take to swap my weapon with the old system. 

The primary/secondary buttons are still there (actually now there's two of them). 

Im pretty sure there is still a manual block button somewhere in the button map config but good luck trying to fit it somewhere. (Also you can still use block combos, don't remember if I mentioned that). 

If you want your melee permanently out then don't bring a gun. If you're bringing a firearm I'd assume you're using it at some point right? I'm addition to this, if you only equip a melee you still aim glide with your melee, so enjoy that mechanic. 

The new system is hardly different from the old one and if one tiny little change is going to cause this much of an upset with you then you don't deserve Warframe or DE. They work hard to bring you what they think is best for the future of the game and a lot of those decisions are heavily influenced by the feedback of the community. We can't always know where they're going to take things next or see their vision but I truly believe that DE has the player's best interest in mind. That being did, no matter what they put out someone is going to ***** and moan about it guaranteed (it just happened to be you in this case). 

Now I am sympathetic to your plight and would be more than happy to help you make adjustments to your controller configuration. If you've been playing as long as I have you'd know that on PS4 there used to be a drastically different button set up so that may be why you feel you've lost access to your block combos (which haven't gone anywhere, they are still in the game, dunno why you're acting like they removed them). Feel free to shoot me a message if you want to get things sorted and I really hope you change your mind about Warframe. Things are always going to be changing in this game and they don't always be what everyone wants, but I guarantee there's a higher purpose for everything DE does and we'll just have to see if those changes pan out. Sorry for the long read and have a nice day. 

Tl;dr

block combos still work 

Melee aim gliding is weird 

If you want permanent melee don't bring a gun

DE fan boy sure but I'm right so whatever. 

I'll help you adjust your control scheme for optimal melee performance 

Block combos still work

• Like 1