Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What do you think is Warframe's biggest competitor?

Archimedes01

6 hours ago, (PS4)Exia0321 said:

What is PSO?

Phantasy Star Online, It released for the Dreamcast and was eventually ported to the Xbox and PC. 

It was essentially a loot grind "shooter" in space (well it was on one planet but your home base was a space station/ship above that planet) with a bunch of space magic going on and little floating "robots" that you could sorta evolve like tamagatchi that would give you various utility buffs etc (*cough* sentinels *cough*). It's levels where also generated with Tiles that where arranged procedurally when you loaded into a level, much like Warframes would come to be. PSOs boss fights where also more multi stage with telegraphed attacks and windows for damage, more like Kela (my favorite boss fight in Warframe, mechanically speaking) or to some extent Lephantis but mostly be cause it's the only boss that comes to mind with a "multi stage" fight even tho the fight is pretty much the same in both. 

Most of the reason I gave Warframe a try was how very very similar to PSO it was because I loved PSO and missed it when SEGA finally pulled the plug on PSO:BB (Blue Burst, which was the final PC port). 

aaand yes to anyone who is about to bring it up I am aware that there are probably still private BB servers to this day, I just can't bother with all the hoops.

• Like 1

people may see that PSO2 was an absolute joke, but at least theres something that warframe could learn from PSO2, like the story, systems, including the emergency quest. Since nightwaves are kinda hard to do for the newbies, were running out of resources to craft various items. Different from warframe, PSO2 provides emergency quest systems where you could loot many rare items from bosses etc. And talking about plot, PSO2 has a deep and complex plot, in which warframe lacks the depth of its plot. Sometimes warframe could get even more grindy than PSO2 due to all resources you need to craft weapons and warframes. in PSO2 we can just buy a weapon straight from NPCs and player shops with the game's currency called mesetas. Player shop provides all items sold by players, whether its a rare weapon, cosmetics, resources, even body parts for CASTs (a robotic race from the 4 chooseable races). nearly all good cosmetics from warframe requires grindy currency such as platinums and even real money, but in PSO2 you can buy various of it by simply saving up your mesetas and surfing through the player shop thus creating a better trading environment. Also note that this has nothing to do with competition, just something that warframe could learn from PSO2.

its not a total anime stuff because you can rig your character face at your purpose so that you can even make a character that looks realistic 😄

Edited by Atlas501

Phantasy star online 2 is old game and it's going to end it's life time soon so a third game would arise. At the moment I could not really say competition because every looter game which compete each other is a must be in their own category. For example Diablo is a famous game but Torchlight, Umbra, Path of Exile, Titan Quest, Van Helsing and so on is a competition to each others. There are a lot more these are just what come in my mind first but each game has their little extras which makes them legit. In the Moba genre there is the LoL and Dota2 than the rest. There is still a Strife, Prime World, Battle of Graxia, Heroes of Newerth, and so on which died out by the time because in this genre the first two title superior.

Warframe is in the lucky situation as it is the first of it's kind and the idea existed long before Anthem and Destiny ever was in the planning quene.

A honorable mention which can see as competitor or predecessor  which probably inspired the Digital Extremese is this game. 

Evolva was a coop looter but more likely story based game what you could play with a constant changing team called geno hunters. This game has a unique level up system because there weren't any of it instead there were mutations and gene stealing system which could make your hunter adopted to the levels and on the environment. If you find a great gap what you cannot pass you can find animals which can jump longer and higher etc. This game had some unique system but it was a well designed game in it's time despite there are not classical gun fights and other things. Instead you can evolve flamethrower, hornet shooter electro cannon on your arm or evolve pincers of it.

Sadly that game forgotten and a lot of you may not remember this game but the ideas there are great. I liked that game aswell and a bit out to date but there are more than 2 million combination of evolving your hunters.

With a modern reimagination that game could be epic and could compete with warframe because that game also built on mobility, different level system and horde-esque combat.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sziklamester said:

Phantasy star online 2 is old game and it's going to end it's life time soon so a third game would arise. At the moment I could not really say competition because every looter game which compete each other is a must be in their own category. For example Diablo is a famous game but Torchlight, Umbra, Path of Exile, Titan Quest, Van Helsing and so on is a competition to each others. There are a lot more these are just what come in my mind first but each game has their little extras which makes them legit. In the Moba genre there is the LoL and Dota2 than the rest. There is still a Strife, Prime World, Battle of Graxia, Heroes of Newerth, and so on which died out by the time because in this genre the first two title superior.

PSO2 is only a year older than Warframe. It can still be a viable competitor to Warframe. The fact that it has survived for this long and will be coming to the west in Spring 2020 with crossplay across all platforms just proves it. Heck, even Warframe doesn’t have crossplay yet.

22 minutes ago, Sziklamester said:

Warframe is in the lucky situation as it is the first of it's kind and the idea existed long before Anthem and Destiny ever was in the planning quene.

A honorable mention which can see as competitor or predecessor  which probably inspired the Digital Extremese is this game. 

Evolva was a coop looter but more likely story based game what you could play with a constant changing team called geno hunters. This game has a unique level up system because there weren't any of it instead there were mutations and gene stealing system which could make your hunter adopted to the levels and on the environment. If you find a great gap what you cannot pass you can find animals which can jump longer and higher etc. This game had some unique system but it was a well designed game in it's time despite there are not classical gun fights and other things. Instead you can evolve flamethrower, hornet shooter electro cannon on your arm or evolve pincers of it.

Sadly that game forgotten and a lot of you may not remember this game but the ideas there are great. I liked that game aswell and a bit out to date but there are more than 2 million combination of evolving your hunters.

With a modern reimagination that game could be epic and could compete with warframe because that game also built on mobility, different level system and horde-esque combat.

But PSO2 is the same age as Warframe and only a year older. The fact that it has survived for this long and will be coming to the west in Spring 2020 with crossplay across all platforms just proves it. Heck, even Warframe doesn’t have crossplay yet!

35 minutes ago, Sziklamester said:

Evolva was a coop looter but more likely story based game what you could play with a constant changing team called geno hunters.

I vaguely remember Evolva being featured in of the hungarian Gamestar magazine's older issues's cd.

Haven't played it though, i think it was either too old or just badly optimised for my pc even back then, but it sounds like a good concept.

1 hour ago, Archimedes01 said:

PSO2 is only a year older than Warframe. It can still be a viable competitor to Warframe. The fact that it has survived for this long and will be coming to the west in Spring 2020 with crossplay across all platforms just proves it. Heck, even Warframe doesn’t have crossplay yet.

Both games are similar in age but different. I did not say they could not compete in a minor rate but comparing an mmo with warframe is difficult. Dragon Nest online is better comparation for this because the fighting and dogging system is similar. I played also phantasy star online 2 with an emulated version on pc here but the release just means they need new audience. The Japanese companies think different and they mostly prefer their own market due the high population and because they are a bit weird in taste. Beyond this they try to make an attempt to "conquer" the European and American market but if they wanted this they could just do in the time when the game shined. This game is a bit out to date and it won't be a great competition of warframe because it is an mmo and competing with other mmos. 

Warframe cross play is depends on Sony which is Stubborn and they does not want to deal with the more work what needs to keep their platform cheat free. Otherwise all platform should be some way cross play.

35 minutes ago, kgabor said:

I vaguely remember Evolva being featured in of the hungarian Gamestar magazine's older issues's cd.

Haven't played it though, i think it was either too old or just badly optimised for my pc even back then, but it sounds like a good concept.

Yep it was featured with the Gamestar and on PC Guru earliest magazines. The needs to run that game back in time was not so high and if you had a voodoo card and a pentium 1-2 with 300+ mhz then probably you could run the game. Back in time the avarege hungarian gamers have had 486-pentium 1-2 or inter celeron which was not so great. I was lucky because I had back in time a pc that can run the game around 30-50 fps. Other than that I used my 486 for obvious reasons. That cannot run the said game but I played old games back in 1996-98. 

The concept was truely good but like in many games that time this one also lost because other games were more popular.

Legalább valaki ismeri azt a magazint is 🙂 

1 hour ago, Atlas501 said:

But PSO2 is the same age as Warframe and only a year older. The fact that it has survived for this long and will be coming to the west in Spring 2020 with crossplay across all platforms just proves it. Heck, even Warframe doesn’t have crossplay yet!

You said the same that Archimedes.

3 minutes ago, Sziklamester said:

Yep it was featured with the Gamestar and on PC Guru earliest magazines. The needs to run that game back in time was not so high and if you had a voodoo card and a pentium 1-2 with 300+ mhz then probably you could run the game. Back in time the avarege hungarian gamers have had 486-pentium 1-2 or inter celeron which was not so great. I was lucky because I had back in time a pc that can run the game around 30-50 fps. Other than that I used my 486 for obvious reasons. That cannot run the said game but I played old games back in 1996-98. 

The concept was truely good but like in many games that time this one also lost because other games were more popular.

Legalább valaki ismeri azt a magazint is 🙂 

My first pc was a pentium 4 around the early 2000-s, iirc. i tried the game a few years later after i got it so that edition was probably too old by that time or maybe the disc was damaged, idk. (i'm always careful not to scratch them, but that wasn't always the case)

Pár évig olvastam, de az újabban kijövő játékok többsége nem elég érdekes a jó cikkekhez és a régi cikkírók nagy része is pályát váltott...

On 2019-07-12 at 11:18 AM, Autongnosis said:

I got, over the years, the distinct impression DE is somehow afraid of giving us the tools to vent our power on appropriately leveled / difficult content. 

Kingpin was the supposed difficulity scaling content which is dropped or shelved, not sure about it. I personally like the difficulity of the game as it is, because it can be hard if you have not geared enough, but the game only honors the well geared and better reaction times not the overall skills. Still I think the game could have difficult content for Veteran players while the advanced, newbie players can play in a better progression system which later leads them to play difficult content.

• Like 1

Even though they are not the same type of game I feel that path of exile is the biggest competitor because it is an equally huge time sink and also regularly receives major content updates with no signs of ending. Many of my buddies play path of exile and refuse to try warframe because they don't want to leave path of exile and feel that warframe might steal them away.

There will never be a real competitor for Warframe. Yes there will be games that try to copy ideas, but thats just showing they have no smarts and cannot think for themselves. I remember people few years ago saying Warframe copied Destiny, a game that came out AFTER Warframe. In essence, Warframe will continue to brush aside all that think they can compete with it. I cant think of another game i play that offers top tier items (primes) for free. Most other games with deluxe, prime, etc make you pay money with no alternative to get them for free. Good luck to all competitors.