Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Last post wins

Mr.ElevenXI

4 minutes ago, (PS4)Ozymandias-13- said:

Edit: Tempted to start a random controversial discussion to get the thread locked.

5 plat says the mods would just delete the posts.

This thread is way too big a fustercluck to lock, especially how it draws away some of the more random topics.

• Like 1

Just now, Aldain said:

Probably lol. It was just a random thought I had after posting. But I guess that's the point of the thread.

Just now, Aldain said:

This thread is way too big a fustercluck to lock, especially how it draws away some of the more random topics.

I've played for like 7 years, and been on the forums most of that time. I don't think I've even seen this thread until a couple days ago. Unless I commented on it years ago too and forgot about it....I will NOT be looking through to check. 😅

5 minutes ago, Aldain said:

I have now hit MR20 in the most apathetic way possible.

I literally forgot I was about to rank up until midway through leveling Ivara Prime and went "Wait what?" when the alert popped up.

Am I a veteran yet?

Amusingly, I never hit rank-ups when I'm interested in MR, and always do when I'm not.

Also, I care less about the MR itself and more the tests. Is that wierd?

8 minutes ago, (PS4)Ozymandias-13- said:

I just want to comment on the fact that this dude has one of, if not the longest running thread in the history of this game and only has 12 reactions to it. Lol

Edit: Tempted to start a random controversial discussion to get the thread locked. 😆

13 Actually. :devil:

• Like 1

I'll gladly admit it - World didn't fully hold my interest like Generations and Four Ultimate did. I'm not really sure why.

However, this looks deeply interesting. Seems like they're learning from all the lessons and advancements made across the MH world and Generations, combining the best elements of World with classic MH and then throwing in more interesting traversal systems on top. I'm certainly intrigued if nothing else.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

Amusingly, I never hit rank-ups when I'm interested in MR, and always do when I'm not.

Also, I care less about the MR itself and more the tests. Is that wierd?

13 Actually. :devil:

I was #12. 😆

Figured this dude deserved some sort of commendation for this. I've seen far more brain dead posts with more reactions. 

Not that the dude will care since he hasn't been on the forums in over a year though. Lol

Edited by (PS4)Ozymandias-13-

Just now, (PS4)Ozymandias-13- said:

I was #12. 😆

Figured this dude deserved some sort of commendation for this. I've seen far more brain dead posts with more reactions. 

I've made long, insightful comments that barely recieve recognition.

I believe my post with the most likes of all time, anywhere was a youtube comment with a 'Kakyoin did you lay this egg' joke.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

I'll gladly admit it - World didn't fully hold my interest like Generations and Four Ultimate did. I'm not really sure why.

However, this looks deeply interesting. Seems like they're learning from all the lessons and advancements made across the MH world and Generations, combining the best elements of World with classic MH and then throwing in more interesting traversal systems on top. I'm certainly intrigued if nothing else.

I'm also excited, mainly because of COMBAT DOGGO.

But overall Rise seems to fix a large number of issues that World had imo, like how the areas were just big with the illusion of being open, and the excessive environmental clutter that made navigation a pain in the arse (Rotten Vale can go rot).

Also the Grapple mechanic already seems miles ahead of the Clutch Claw, mainly because it can be used for evasion and offense without needing a monster to latch to. Also anything with a working Grappling hook mechanic automatically gets a hype from me.

The ability to go up and over things also will likely make following flying monsters much less a pain, rather than having to go through 3-4 zones to catch up to it we can just run/hook over the mountain to save time.

Overall I'm actually more excited for Rise than World, because it looks like they are leaning more into graphical style than raw "blow out your graphics card" fidelity.

Edited by Aldain

OK.

I think I just figured something out about the Open worlds which contributes to them being a little 'off'.

Deimos infested use a variety of enemy types that are individually simplistic and brute-force but come together to make up interesting combinations.

Plains Grineer use Infrastructure, artillery setups and advanced units with multiple abilities.

OV Corpus rush you down with multiple Melee units, units that spawn enemies and a ton of enemies that have movement powers to get in close range.

They all fight like a different faction is supposed to fight.

18 minutes ago, Aldain said:

I'm also excited, mainly because of COMBAT DOGGO.

But overall Rise seems to fix a large number of issues that World had imo, like how the areas were just big with the illusion of being open, and the excessive environmental clutter that made navigation a pain in the arse (Rotten Vale can go rot).

Also the Grapple mechanic already seems miles ahead of the Clutch Claw, mainly because it can be used for evasion and offense without needing a monster to latch to. Also anything with a working Grappling hook mechanic automatically gets a hype from me.

The ability to go up and over things also will likely make following flying monsters much less a pain, rather than having to go through 3-4 zones to catch up to it we can just run/hook over the mountain to save time.

Overall I'm actually more excited for Rise than World, because it looks like they are leaning more into graphical style than raw "blow out your graphics card" fidelity.

Agreed. Empty areas are somewhat staples of MH (Gotta have a lot of room for beasts like Tigrex or Diablos) but World played with some more advanced mechanics but didn't really offer the ability to use them. Slopes are fun, vines are fun, the wall-jump attacks are neat, but the areas to use them were so limited. Plus the enhanced mobility should make traversal better - World didn't fully manage to seperate itself from the old area system since the paths through areas were still pretty linear. Interested to see where this goes. If nothing else, the mount should make getting from point A to point B over flat ground a lot more fun.

And yes, I am so glad they're going back to the more fantastical art style. And I mean going 'back' to because before World, Style was dripping from the franchise:

Eisenleib / Eisengeist - Switch Axe - MHGen - Kiranico - Monster Hunter  Generations Ultimate Database

Gore Magala's switch axe. It also turns into a sword, of course.

Akantor Broadsword | Monster Hunter Wiki | Fandom

Akantor Broadsword, a personal favourite. (You can't tell, but this was easily as large as a hunter, to match the heft of the beast it hails from)

r/MonsterHunterWorld - Capcom, it's time to stop being safe with your weapon designs, your previous designs were amazing, let's step it up

A bunch of MH Generations designs.

54 minutes ago, Aldain said:

This thread keeps the more mercurial members distracted and entertained, as well as provides a home for the random interactions that tend to derail other topics. 

1 hour ago, (PS4)Ozymandias-13- said:

I just want to comment on the fact that this dude has one of, if not the longest running thread in the history of this game and only has 12 reactions to it. Lol

Edit: Tempted to start a random controversial discussion to get the thread locked. 😆

What would that gain you, exactly?

Aside from the ire of the members and general frustration of the community as we are released back into the wild.

1 hour ago, Loza03 said:

Aaaand now I'm sad that it's Switch exclusive :/

I've always felt that MHW lacked some advanced mobility and better traversal, this game seems to address it quite well, I'm very much with Aldain on the fact that grappling hooks make anything better. I've also spotted some new (or returning?) weapon types and move sets that look pretty neat. The overall graphic style with what looks like very oriental aesthetics is definitely cool, but MHW's visual fidelity imo gave it a better presentation. 

5 minutes ago, (XB1)ShonFr0st said:

Aaaand now I'm sad that it's Switch exclusive :/

Honestly, MH has always done best on Handhelds, especially Nintendo's handhelds, so this makes a lot of sense. World being a console exclusive was a pretty major departure from the norm and even got a bit of controversy.

And when I say done best, I mean mostly in the Japanese market where... well, it's a niche game here. Over there, it's literally rivaled only by Pokemon. Simply put, it's considered pretty common to have this be the game you play during your commute, and you can't do that with a console-exclusive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Agreed. Empty areas are somewhat staples of MH (Gotta have a lot of room for beasts like Tigrex or Diablos) but World played with some more advanced mechanics but didn't really offer the ability to use them. Slopes are fun, vines are fun, the wall-jump attacks are neat, but the areas to use them were so limited. Plus the enhanced mobility should make traversal better - World didn't fully manage to seperate itself from the old area system since the paths through areas were still pretty linear. Interested to see where this goes. If nothing else, the mount should make getting from point A to point B over flat ground a lot more fun.

Indeed.

Though as a guy who was basically an SnS main in his time in MHW:I, that wall-jump attack will always hold a special place in my heart.

Personally I'm hoping that they keep a lot of the weapon changes we saw in MHW, almost all of them were for the better, and judging by the animations in that trailer it seems to be running similar to world (the downward slope animation is lifted wholesale as are several of the attack animations).

The big question will be the Bowgun/Bow approach they take, I liked the Bowgun changes in MHW, but the Bow...it just felt off for several reasons.

26 minutes ago, Aldain said:

Indeed.

Though as a guy who was basically an SnS main in his time in MHW:I, that wall-jump attack will always hold a special place in my heart.

Personally I'm hoping that they keep a lot of the weapon changes we saw in MHW, almost all of them were for the better, and judging by the animations in that trailer it seems to be running similar to world (the downward slope animation is lifted wholesale as are several of the attack animations).

The big question will be the Bowgun/Bow approach they take, I liked the Bowgun changes in MHW, but the Bow...it just felt off for several reasons.

Fortunately, most games have kept positive changes and removed negative ones thus far, so I'm confident we'll see things be similar this time around. Big one being that a lot of the changes to Charge Blade in Generations were reverted to 4U, since it was a nuisance in that game.

As for the wall-jumps, I agree. I'm mostly just hoping that we can do it off more than two walls per map.

Re-watching the trailer, and the description of the video being 'a new take on the franchise' I'm wondering if they're going for full-on open world this go around? Maybe even a BOTW kind of take? That'd explain the mounts and extra emphasis on vertical climbing. After all, in previous games you could only climb certain walls but at 0:46 the wall doesn't seem particular marked as such. After all, open hunting was a pretty popular addition in World, and that's the next logical step, no?

Just now, Loza03 said:

Re-watching the trailer, and the description of the video being 'a new take on the franchise' I'm wondering if they're going for full-on open world this go around? Maybe even a BOTW kind of take?

I have a feeling it will more be a collection of "Great Plateau" sized maps, or something in that vein.

I also have a feeling that we can't just endlessly run up walls, considering how often the grapple bug was being used and some of the slowdown while running up the wall I would bet that navigation will likely be stamina tied and we'll need to find flat places to stop.

Just now, Aldain said:

I have a feeling it will more be a collection of "Great Plateau" sized maps, or something in that vein.

Also possible, I suppose. Nevertheless, I suspect they're going to be a lot more open than the web of fairly linear passages this time around.

1 minute ago, Aldain said:

I also have a feeling that we can't just endlessly run up walls, considering how often the grapple bug was being used and some of the slowdown while running up the wall I would bet that navigation will likely be stamina tied and we'll need to find flat places to stop.

True, true, but that's a given. Stamina's a bit of a series stable by now.

Who fires the better laser?

A literal avatar of the void that even the Orokin fear, an infinite wellspring of chaotic void energy channeled into a single point and released in a savage beam:

81LuCJj.jpg

Or:

Deny.

rEkriHD.jpg

Operators make me sad. Even visually they are underutilised.

20 minutes ago, Aldain said:

There is that one prism that Ops have that fires a huge short laser...the problem being the short part.

True, that's the one I use. It's decent enough (for an Amp), and I'll admit, it looks pretty neat.

Nevertheless, most Operator stuff pales compared to Warframe equivalents, such as Flame blast vs Fireball. Operators really don't get a lot.

Just now, Loza03 said:

Nevertheless, most Operator stuff pales compared to Warframe equivalents, such as Flame blast vs Fireball. Operators really don't get a lot.

Here's hoping that the Duviri Paradox will do something about that (though I'm not holding my breath).

43 minutes ago, Aldain said:

Here's hoping that the Duviri Paradox will do something about that (though I'm not holding my breath).

I'm just hoping it won't pull the rug out and remove their powers completely.

It's super unlikely, but comeon, I like the supernatural kiddos.

3 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

I'm just hoping it won't pull the rug out and remove their powers completely.

I've got my money on needing to "reawaken" it personally, like going by the trailer we start out just as normal humans with weapons but awaken to powers far greater than what we currently have.

A classic "training weights" arc setup.

I just went solo to T5 PoE for a few things to feed the contrivance, and... Did someone put the grineer on steroids and amphetamine lately? Because they were all over the place. The sky was thick with Bolkors and Dargyns, I ran into 5 different thumpers, and someone must have dropped off a crate of highpowered optics at every camp, because the entire map was taking potshots at me.