Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

language and timezone the borders of space ninjas 😉

(PSN)KubrowduLotus

In the name of the forum itself? The assumption here, with some real-world merit, is of English being the standard lingua franca among Warframe players. Most posters here are either native English speakers, or unlikely to know other languages but their own and English. A Thai player is unlikely to know German, but will have some familiarity with English, for example.

It's really for everyone's convenience. Post in the your language-specific forums, and you're more likely to get replies in your language. Otherwise, post here in English, and you're more likely to get more useful replies here too. Less people scratching their heads and fumbling about with Google Translate.

Please don't turn this into any more than what it is.

Edited by KnossosTNC
  • Like 3

Everyone making threads in their own native language would just make things annoying for everyone. Other major languages have their own subforums.

il y a 5 minutes, KnossosTNC a dit :

In the name of the forum itself? The assumption here, with some real-world merit, is of English being the standard lingua franca. Most posters here are either native English speakers, or unlikely to know other languages but their own and English. A Thai player is unlikely to know German, but will have some familiarity with English, for example.

It's really for everyone's convenience. Post in the your language-specific forums, and you're more likely to get replies in your language. Otherwise, post here in English, and you're more likely to get more useful replies here too. Less people scratching their heads and fumbling about with Google Translate.

Please don't turn this into any more than what it is. 

If the national forums were read by De...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, (PS4)KubrowduLotus said:

I thought that Canadians were for the most part Anglo-Francophone bilinguals? It's suprising DE don't read the French boards as much.

Edited by evilChair

2 minutes ago, evilChair said:

I thought that Canadians were for the most part Anglo-Francophone bilinguals? It's suprising that they don't read the French boards as much.

Less than 20% of Canadians are fully bilingual, and bilingualism is mostly concentrated in Quebec. DE is in Ontario.

8 minutes ago, (PS4)KubrowduLotus said:

You expect them to hire translators just so that they can understand people's ramblings on the forums?

12 minutes ago, KnossosTNC said:

In the name of the forum itself? The assumption here, with some real-world merit, is of English being the standard lingua franca among Warframe players. 

☝️

Len-goo-ah frank-ah? Why are you advocating talking that foreign stuff on the English boards? I checked and even google translate won't convert from that language into English. 

I vote we ban the use of any such "lingua franca" on the English language boards. 

/s 😜

6 minutes ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

☝️

Len-goo-ah frank-ah? Why are you advocating talking that foreign stuff on the English boards? I checked and even google translate won't convert from that language into English. 

I vote we ban the use of any such "lingua franca" on the English language boards. 

/s 😜

Eh. Probably snaffled it from another language as usual, like most of the English vocabulary.

Edited by KnossosTNC

So let's get this straight.

OP doesn't speak English. Because of that he made a thread in German in the English part of the forum so that DE has to translate the German post in order for them to understand what OP is talking about.
That's really the way to go. Yeah... absolutely nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KnossosTNC said:

Less than 20% of Canadians are fully bilingual, and bilingualism is mostly concentrated in Quebec. DE is in Ontario.

That's... strange. Coming from ex-Yugoslavia (though this goes for most of Europe), it's been a standard for over 80 years already that people over here study Serbo-Bosno-Croatian (in the sense of intense grammar-cramming), Latin for two years, and two foreign languages (used to be obligatory French, and a choice between German, Russian, English; today it's obligatory English, and a choice between German and French). I myself speak SBC, English, some German (forgot it mostly though), and study Japanese (as in, on a professional, literary/translatory level) for a future living. I can understand some written French and Italian, and in general understand Romance languages because of Latin words in English and a two-year intense course in Latin.

It's like... pretty normal to be bi- or tri-lingual anywhere in Europe and Asia.

Hell people have just been dumping suggestions/feedback in general with more and more frequency these days anyhow, lets just lump all the languages on earth into general too. Who needs order and usability. Lets just get rid of all the sub forums and just have one general forum and hey everyone just be tri-lingual~ problem solved~

13 minutes ago, evilChair said:

That's... strange. Coming from ex-Yugoslavia (though this goes for most of Europe), it's been a standard for over 80 years already that people over here study Serbo-Bosno-Croatian (in the sense of intense grammar-cramming), Latin for two years, and two foreign languages (used to be obligatory French, and a choice between German, Russian, English; today it's obligatory English, and a choice between German and French). I myself speak SBC, English, some German (forgot it mostly though), and study Japanese (as in, on a professional, literary/translatory level) for a future living. I can understand some written French and Italian, and in general understand Romance languages because of Latin words in English and a two-year intense course in Latin.

It's like... pretty normal to be bi- or tri-lingual anywhere in Europe and Asia.

Well, again, English is established as widely used lingua franca, so native English speakers have less an incentive to be proficient in other languages. It's not that they never learned these languages, it's more that they seldom use them. Disuse causes skill to deteriorate. I speak as someone who basically grew up in an English boarding school that taught French as mandatory curriculum.

1 hour ago, evilChair said:

Except England ofc, because we already speak the correct language, there's no reason to speak anything else.

I jest of course, hardly anyone speaks English correctly over here.