The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Emissary Bossfight is EXCEPTIONAL

Sitchrea

Not sure I agree about it being a great boss fight (though I've been spoiled on the likes of Vergil or Jetstream Sam), it is pretty good.

I do take a issue with how irritating it is to hit due to how it teleports at random. A good fight should give you clear rules about how that works. Also the lamp thing turning off is a bit hard to judge. 

I'd give it a strong B+, possibly an A-. It's certainly better than Profit-Taker or Shadow Stalker, that's for sure. It's around the quality of, say, Alad V and Zanuka.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

Not sure I agree about it being a great boss fight (though I've been spoiled on the likes of Vergil or Jetstream Sam), it is pretty good.

I do take a issue with how irritating it is to hit due to how it teleports at random. A good fight should give you clear rules about how that works. Also the lamp thing turning off is a bit hard to judge. 

I'd give it a strong B+, possibly an A-. It's certainly better than Profit-Taker or Shadow Stalker, that's for sure. It's around the quality of, say, Alad V and Zanuka.

Pretty easy to hit him with a wide-ranged melee or a Catchemoon (I used a Zaw w/ a range riven though so maybe that's too easy; Redeemer or Sarpa would be just as good imo). Using a slidey Nezha build you can close the ~50m distance he teleport fairly quickly. As for when the lamp turns off, you can judge how long it has by the size of the blue circle on your map. You can extend its range and thus time with kills.

Really hoping they bring more unique boss fight mechanics as they have been. Ropalolyst was pretty fun IMO and if they add exaggerated health bars at the top of the screen for all bosses, that'd be cool too.

Edited by Teksorbkyva

1 hour ago, Teksorbkyva said:

Pretty easy to hit him with a wide-ranged melee or a Catchemoon (I used a Zaw w/ a range riven though so maybe that's too easy; Redeemer or Sarpa would be just as good imo). Using a slidey Nezha build you can close the ~50m distance he teleport fairly quickly. As for when the lamp turns off, you can judge how long it has by the size of the blue circle on your map. You can extend its range and thus time with kills.

Sorry, I didn't mean in terms of when you're actually fighting him. I mean when you try to or are engaging him then realise he's apparently on the other side of the room.

I find the fight confusing, unintuitive

from what I've seen, the boss is mostly invincible, until randomly he isn't and you get a few shots in

then clear the mobs before they heal him and wait around till he's randomly vulnerable and keep repeating

my problem with this is how there's no obvious trigger or tell as to *when* he's going to be vulnerable

I'm sure there's a pattern or some mechanic involved, since it would explain how you get one smart squad member doing 40%+ damage when everyone else is like 10%

but a well designed fight shouldn't require reading a wiki to explain just what the heck is going on...

16 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Sorry, I didn't mean in terms of when you're actually fighting him. I mean when you try to or are engaging him then realise he's apparently on the other side of the room.

Ah, I agree with that. It's so dark that the only thing you have to go off of is the enemy marker, and those markers tend to stick in place sometimes.

3 hours ago, (PS4)haphazardlynamed said:

from what I've seen, the boss is mostly invincible, until randomly he isn't and you get a few shots in

then clear the mobs before they heal him and wait around till he's randomly vulnerable and keep repeating

my problem with this is how there's no obvious trigger or tell as to *when* he's going to be vulnerable

I'm sure there's a pattern or some mechanic involved, since it would explain how you get one smart squad member doing 40%+ damage when everyone else is like 10%

but a well designed fight shouldn't require reading a wiki to explain just what the heck is going on...

Not trying to brag but it was pretty obvious to me how to advance in the fight my first time, and I did it solo. Pay attention to the Prelate's transmissions and the red icons that will appear during his invulnerability phase. Spoilers for how I normally defeat him:

Spoiler

He will talk about "Bastions" keeping the "Congregation" protected. These Bastions are actual enemies that will be marked with a red icon while the Prelate is invulnerable. Locate the Bastion and kill them. They will drop a lantern. Pick it up and you'll be in secondary/melee-only mode (like picking up a Mobile Defense key). It illuminates in a sphere around you, making all enemies (including the Prelate boss) vulnerable. The illumination radius will decrease over time but will increase if you get a kill. Once you damage the Prelate enough he'll steal your lantern and start stealing health from enemies in the room. Killing them will remove the healed health before he breaks the lantern, and you start the process over again of finding a Bastion and using their lantern to hurt the boss until it dies. Recommend Gas damage on your weapon for hitting Bastions and the Prelate due to their Infested health type and no armor.

Edited by Teksorbkyva

5 hours ago, (PS4)haphazardlynamed said:

The fight is extremely intuitive.

All you need to do is follow the objective marker.

Red marker = kill this.

Yellow/blue marker = go to this place/interact with this thing.

If you can do at least that, the whole fight is a no-brainer, even on first try.

The only way I can see it being unintuitive is if you're playing with a random squad that already knows what to do.

The invulnerability phases have the same trigger as a lot of the bosses in the game: you dealt enough damage for now, let's take a breather.

Edited by (PS4)Quantaminum

Agreed, Zealoid Prelate is actually a pretty decent boss. This actually feels like a proper boss. The Orbs and Lephantis also come close, but this was especially clear-cut and reminiscent of many other games, while taking advantage of Warframe's tileset-based nature. I wasn't able to just nuke it with any particular frame, it was pretty clear what had to be done, and it goes reasonably faster when you can do excellent damage and know what to do (as opposed to unreasonably fast "fights" like Phorid). A+

All bosses should get health meters like this one, too. It might also help that you have to play three regular missions (invasions) before being able to access it, to earn the fight.

(Thumpers are good as mini-bosses, too. Teralyst fights are also good if you think of them as a mini-boss, but only when you have a proper rubico setup ready to go.)

Edited by Scorn

My only complaint in the fight is that there is no feeling of dread / danger.

Infested as a faction are a joke, and the boss himself had to little damage output, not that i wanted him to one shot us so please do not think that.

Everything else felt awesome, 10 bonus point for not making him immune to Warframe ability's or status effects.

5 hours ago, (PS4)Quantaminum said:

The only way I can see it being unintuitive is if you're playing with a random squad that already knows what to do.

That explains it then, cause I'm using Public Matchmaking

probably, experienced speedrunner gets to the marker first and kills the bastion

so from my perspective all I see is a random marker that blips around then vanishes for no apparent reason;

I quit trying to follow it after the first few tries cause it kept vanishing before I reach it; I assumed it was just another Glitched Waypoint (since these are common in other missions)

and since they're doing the objectives so fast, the hint dialog gets out of sync for me and doesn't make any sense