The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

We need a phorid Rework / Proper nightmare fuel infested boss

0_The_F00l

Hey guys ,

Let me start by saying that currently the phorid enemy is so generic and boring it reminds me of when Vor was just a red butcher.

He is basically a big charger with red armor.

There is nothing bone chilling about it.

I believe it needs a facelift at minimum ,even if the actual mechanics are not fully changed,

With the recent addition of infested decorations i made something and i was surprised at how well it came together with just proper positioning.

It is my humble request and suggestion that something like this be turned into a proper infested boss.

Do leave your thoughts and suggestions to the actual boss mechanics and how it should be played out.

• Like 7

Phorid is fine as it is. 

I keep seeing rework this and rework that threads delcairing that this or that needs to be brought up to "our" level without regard for people who aren't on said level. Like when I see a thread lamenting the Stalker no longer being a threat and requiring immediate attention/buf%&^e. All while ignoring the fact that there is a decent portion of the playerbase for whom stalker is still a legitimate threat. 

There is nothing wrong with having a simple strait forward boss fight in the game and the issue is that DE really can't make Phorid any tougher because when push comes to shove they realize that they can't lock newer players out of content because the older players want to feel the thrill they used to get from "insert boss" back when they where new. 

So what DE will actually add if anything are stopgaps and invulnerability phases to slow the fight to a crawl. So it won't be any toughter it'll just take 10min for the sake of taking 10min. 

I would much rather have DE review bosses that are already problematic like Kril, who is IMHO the worst designed boss in the game ATM. Tho I'm sure people will come in with "But The Sergeant", thing is mechanically speaking The Sergeant is perfectly fine. Where as Kril has like zero telegraphing/feedback as to what you are expected to do and even when you do "the thing" Kril will take somewhere between seconds to minutes to decide to finally stop being invulnerable at which point you are allowed to melt his stupid face. That's just bad design and should be corrected ASAP.

All that said I would be very receptive to a new Infested boss and had sorta expected to get a top tier bodyhorror show with the new Infested boss that came with the Zealot Derelict Assassination missions, instead of getting "suit man" but the world is full of disappointments and there is still some borderline hope that maybe Arlo will finally go full "The Thing" on us. 

Edited by Oreades
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Oreades said:

Phorid is fine as it is

He's not

2 minutes ago, Oreades said:

I would much rather have DE review bosses that are already problematic like Kril, who is IMHO the worst designed boss in the game ATM.

Agreed

3 minutes ago, Oreades said:

But The Sergeant", thing is mechanically speaking The Sergeant is perfectly fine.

He's not. He's not even a boss. And besides, he'll get reworked eventually. DE already said so. It's even in the Upcoming Features page of the wiki

46 minutes ago, Oreades said:

Phorid is fine as it is. 

I keep seeing rework this and rework that threads delcairing that this or that needs to be brought up to "our" level without regard for people who aren't on said level. Like when I see a thread lamenting the Stalker no longer being a threat and requiring immediate attention/buf%&^e. All while ignoring the fact that there is a decent portion of the playerbase for whom stalker is still a legitimate threat. 

There is nothing wrong with having a simple strait forward boss fight in the game and the issue is that DE really can't make Phorid any tougher because when push comes to shove they realize that they can't lock newer players out of content because the older players want to feel the thrill they used to get from "insert boss" back when they where new. 

So what DE will actually add if anything are stopgaps and invulnerability phases to slow the fight to a crawl. So it won't be any toughter it'll just take 10min for the sake of taking 10min. 

I would much rather have DE review bosses that are already problematic like Kril, who is IMHO the worst designed boss in the game ATM. Tho I'm sure people will come in with "But The Sergeant", thing is mechanically speaking The Sergeant is perfectly fine. Where as Kril has like zero telegraphing/feedback as to what you are expected to do and even when you do "the thing" Kril will take somewhere between seconds to minutes to decide to finally stop being invulnerable at which point you are allowed to melt his stupid face. That's just bad design and should be corrected ASAP.

All that said I would be very receptive to a new Infested boss and had sorta expected to get a top tier bodyhorror show with the new Infested boss that came with the Zealot Derelict Assassination missions, instead of getting "suit man" but the world is full of disappointments and there is still some borderline hope that maybe Arlo will finally go full "The Thing" on us. 

The actual mechanical boss fight being straight forward is fine - that's why i haven't mentioned anywhere that it needs to be made more challenging,

Personally i feel The difficulty is fine as is , my emphasis was more on making it an actual boss worthy horror and not just generic horror that is magnified a few levels.

Because there are worse boss fights does not mean others should be ignored altogether.

the difficulty and challenge and invulnerability is something i would request you to save for a different topic as it has tendency to derail everything.

39 minutes ago, GnarlsDarkley said:

Your thread will sadly die like all others before

Suggestions need to be made with actual inputs other than "please change him" i am currently just suggesting aesthetic changes. you are free to add actual buffs inputs that i could incorporate.

DE is of course free to ignore it completely.

Edited by 0_The_F00l
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

He's not

But he is, there is nothing wrong with having a drop dead simple boss here or there. Not everything needs some flashy invulnerability mechanics that are just there to suck 10min of a players life. 

It kinda reminds me in a way of the difference between Lephantis and Sortie Lephantis. I consider Lephantis to be an OK boss which is about what I consider Phorid to be. Then you get to Sortie Lephantis and things change, for the worse. The problem is Sorite Lephantis isn't any more fun or engaging than Lephantis, it's just going to suck an extra ~10+min out of my life (depending on how hard I'm solo carrying my team) 

Now I say I consider Phorid to be an OK fight, mostly because I'm trying to consider the encounter from a newer players perspective. Phorid can be a bit of a chonky encounter early on, not dissimilar from Stalker. The thing is we just eventually outgrow Phorid, not dissimilar from the Stalker. Where as I have never seen The Sergeant offer even a remote challenge, to anyone, ever. 

7 minutes ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

He's not. He's not even a boss. And besides, he'll get reworked eventually. DE already said so. It's even in the Upcoming Features page of the wiki

Didn't say he was a strong boss I said he was mechanically sound, there is a straightforward exchange of DPS to death. There is no question "Game? am I doing the thing?" cause he's dead. 

Unlike the Sergeant I still regularly see people struggle a bit with Phorid, instances where Phorid isn't instantly downed and actually manages to down  several members of a team before they actually finish it off. Thing is the farther you get into the game the less you see that. Tho since Phorid shares the same aspect of the Sergeant in that he is a strait forward DPS to Death exchange, it does only take one player with a brokenly OP meta weapon to take him out before anyone gets to see him.... tho I could leverage the same argument against the Hyena Pack, even Vor with an invulnerability phase who can be yeeted before your group gets there. 

So while I'm 100% OK with a Sergeant rework, still want them to tackle Kril first but that's another whoozle, needlessly complicating Phorid just seems needless. 

Personally I would love a Cat and Mouse game type in Warframe... Just you and some giant monster like a re-imagined Phorid hunting for you in the dark corridors. Where for once the player can't kill it, but instead they have to unlock the evacuation room by breaking three spy vaults...

It being drawn to alarms and noise and you having to be still as possible while sweating behind a crate with a T-rex sized infested lumbering past you...

Well not going happen..not in this game...But you might want to check out Squads:Space Crew Mod on youtube...That was actually pretty fun to watch as sixteen players are all screaming bloody murder and cursing while being picked off by a monster controlled by another player...

Edited by (PS4)FriendSharkey
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

Personally I would love a Cat and Mouse game type in Warframe... Just you and some giant monster like a re-imagined Phorid hunting for you in the dark corridors. Where for once the player can't kill it, but instead they have to unlock the evacuation room by breaking three spy vaults...

It being drawn to alarms and noise and you having to be still as possible while sweating behind a crate with a T-rex sized infested lumbering past you...

Well not going happen..not in this game...But you might want to check out Squads:Space Crew Mod on youtube...That was actually pretty fun to watch as sixteen players are all screaming bloody murder and cursing while being picked off by a monster controlled by another player...

I would love that. The problem would be that due to the nature of Warframe itself, it would still only drop 1 part of Nyx, meaning the new players would need to do it at least 3 times in a row trying to progress, getting sick of it pretty fast, while the veterans would do it once and have no reason to do it again.

Before reworking anything I feel like they should look at what is the difference between replayability and repetitiveness

9 minutes ago, Alzyheimer said:

I would love that. The problem would be that due to the nature of Warframe itself, it would still only drop 1 part of Nyx, meaning the new players would need to do it at least 3 times in a row trying to progress, getting sick of it pretty fast, while the veterans would do it once and have no reason to do it again.

Before reworking anything I feel like they should look at what is the difference between replayability and repetitiveness

You can attach the rewards to the spy vault drops for that mission since the monster is in a immortal stage...

Now you would have three chances to walk out with all three parts or at least two to one...while throwing in other rewards to keep the node viable...

Plus you'd have the Cat and Mouse aspect of the encounter...I love running into the Berserker in Gears...or the Cyber Demon, Turok's Gatling Gun T-rex just for the encounter...

Having something massive sniffing around for you while you squeal in terror while hiding from it has it's moments in gaming that in itself is something we all enjoy from time to time...

Edited by (PS4)FriendSharkey

2 minutes ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

You can attach the rewards to the spy vault drops for that mission since the monster is in a immortal stage...

Now you would have three chances to walk out with all three parts or at least two to one...

If it came to that, I would bet my money they would only attach 1 reward for hacking 3 consoles (based on the previous experiences).

But regardless it would be fun to actually run away from an enemy to be the goal instead of shooting it once with your rubico with a riven on it.

5 hours ago, GPrime96 said:

If that Boss even existed, it would come as Orb Vallis version of Plague Star because, you know

I wouldn't mind that either,

5 hours ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

Interesting, like alien isolation. I wouldn't mind it, similar to a mini version of the JV.