Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

question to DE or anyone else

Icythewolf

Hey DE and practicly any community member reading,

I just really wanted to ask ever sinds if seen grendel i been thinking about one thing and i really just want to ask.
was grendel in anyway inspidered by the DMC 5 boss goliath?
im just interested and i really like the concept of grendel, he looks great, and id like to hear the story of were he came from^^
im a big warframe and dmc fan so it just stuck out and if it was is a cool...reference/base?
i just like it hehmaxresdefault.jpg
im likely not gonna get an answer from DE but its just a fun discussion^^
cant wait for old blood!

The story was, Grendel was originally supposed to be an Oni frame. Instead, they went for the sumo troll type oni that is only depicted in a few small instances of ancient lore.

The Oni's they did model him after, were depicted as being able to eat via their stomach, or something to that effect.

Everything from video games are inspired by some mythical beast/monster/fantasy thing, so DMC isn't original in this type of thing since it's basically just different demons and monsters that have already been a thing before

Edited by Vesiga

1 hour ago, Firetempest said:

^ As mentioned here, it's a fairly common trope in tv and dates back even before Televisions and gaming existed.

"Xingtian (Chinese: 刑天; pinyin: Xíngtiān; "Opposing Heaven", also Hsing T'ien) is a Chinese deity who fights against the Supreme Divinity, not giving up even after the event of his decapitation. Losing the fight for supremacy, he was beheaded and his head buried in Changyang Mountain. Nevertheless, headless, with a shield in one hand and a battle axe in the other, he continues the fight, using his nipples as eyes and his bellybutton as a mouth."

Copied the wiki page, ofc.