Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Please remove long press E to trigger heavy attack

paleneutron

14 minutes ago, Aldain said:

They could also increase the needed time to hold by a little to lessen the likelihood of the game mis-reading inputs.

Or literally bringing back the old method where releasing the key at any point before the strike would cancel the animation. So far as I can tell, even with Berserker and Amalgam Organ Shatter, it leaves a good half-second or so in registering the input and winding up. That should be more than enough time to differentiate between holding and tapping, as that's largely what we had pre-U26.

11 hours ago, Miser_able said:

No.

A toggle is fine, but straight up removal is bad. 

^this and for the VOID's sake, WHY THE INITIAL SWING? And more confusing - why is everyone ok with it?

Hold E like you charge the bow - release E - perform a heavy attack. Tap E quickly to do normal combo hits. What is the problem? Can somebody answer?

Edited by Scar.brother.help.me

It hasn't been a big problem for me but I have occasionally have accidentally done a heavy attack getting rid of my combo counter just because I held the button slightly longer then I meant to.    It doesn't happen that often for me really and places that you really need the combo counter high you'll get it back quickly. 

If there was a toggle I would probably use it off when I'm using the combo for blood rush on when I'm doing one of the, increasingly productive, heavy attack builds

Edited by (PS4)Eluminary

20 hours ago, Miser_able said:

Or even add a slider so we could choose how long we have to hold it. 

I think this is a good idea. The problem is, the time you have to hold the E key fluctuates as your attack speed changes (longer time to hold for slow attack speed, shorter time for fast attack speeds), which is the root of the problem that most people have with it. They may have a hard time coding it in. Good idea regardless, but I hope they take this aspect into consideration when implementing it

The current system is exactly as before and works well, it feels good. It is very comfortable to keep the key pressed for a heavy DE attack, do not modify it.

But now it seems to have errors and the heavy attack is activated even when the key is not held down. It is a mistake, not a feature.

Please don't remove it from gunblades, as holding down the melee button to do a quick shot followed by a heavy shot is all you ever want to do with those. If anything, remove the rest of their stances, as the possibility of accidentally doing other attacks, especially melee swipes, is a detriment.

I completely agree with a lot of statements on both 'sides' here, but I really really truly hope that we get a toggle, as playing in late-game scenarios and accidentally dropping combo on a non-heavy attack build can be pretty devastating. It's a key feature for gunblades and some specialized set-ups, but flexibility is a wonderful thing and I'd hate for this one thing to sour the new melee experience.

I've done a lot of testing just spamming melee attacks with different settings and different weapons in Arbitrations & Simulacrum to see how/why it keeps happening, and sometimes if my speed is high enough, it doesn't matter if I don't hold the key, it just instantly swings out the heavy attack, even with the finger completely removing itself from the key press, as if my inputs blend together, which I'm sure is my hardware's fault in some way? Simply having a toggle would fix this instantly.

On 2019-11-20 at 7:38 PM, paleneutron said:

Heavy attack will clean Combo which is deadly important for most weapons.

The price of long pressing E by mistake is too heavy for players.

Please remove/add a toggle to  that feature.

I think the issue is that heavy attacks trigger a lot faster than "Charged Attacks" did.  Charge attacks also had a windup period, and I *think* that you could abort by releasing E if you didn't want to do it?  For myself at least the issue at the moment is that it's too easy to switch to a Heavy Attack by accident.  Some stances seem worse for this than others, and I think maybe a few feel like the amount of "hold" it takes actually varies during a combo.  If they extended how long you had to hold E by a bit it would help.  Maybe not to "Hold X to interact" levels like Jedi:  Fallen Order (with the hateful little circle that takes a second and a half to fill up.)  But long enough to feel like I have some say in whether or not to trigger a Heavy Attack would be nice.  Especially if they just shifted the animation so that the "hold" time was just part of the total animation, with say the first X fraction being the windup period where you could release the key and cancel the attack.

I'm not sure I described that very well.  😞