Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[The Outdated Parkour Thread] It Finally Happened! (Voice Your Opinion In The Poll!)

Aure7

It would also be nice if wall running could just be limited to holding jump to wall run because for gamepad players at least well for myself it was difficult to do the mastery test where I had to hold run + jump then hold jump and the direction of the wall to continue running on it as well as having to shoot targets while doing this to make the platforms appear I forget what mastery test it is but I feel like direction shouldn't have to be held to wall run it could easily just be left for one button or at least make it an option because I should be able to run on the wall and shoot at the same time and not feel like I need a third hand to aim and shoot or wall run.

The work put into this is spectacular and just for that, an official response is needed.

Here you go, Rebecca finally did drop in a reply.

Maybe, the devs that deal with this area have definitely seen the thread and are aware of the quality of suggestions.

It is often emphasized that devs read many many posts, but do not always comment. Some departments are a little more keyboard shy.

In any case, this feedback has indeed been read.

And to be honest, this turned out to be an incredibly effective advertisement for this thread :D

sliding around and zorencoptering are breaking the feel of the game. Veteran players get used to tapping "crouch" key to repeatedly gain free momentum. Result is ninjas awkwardly slipping on every step and spinning with their melee weapons.

I think sprinting should gain a little speed increase over some time, so for example you would gain maximum speed after 3 seconds, but that would be faster than slipping because you would need to regain maximum speed after every slip.

numbers should be minimal, just for the very purpose of making sprinting THE fastest way to travel long distances.

more in depth about this https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/145178-sprinting-should-gradually-become-tiny-bit-faster-after-some-sprinting-and-how-everyone-will-be-happy/#entry1720451

this is the only thing i'm concerned about with ANY of the well thought out suggestions for parkour. (not just here, every thread and lone suggestion).

one of my most enjoyed past times IS getting those timings and angles right to efficiently move through rooms. parkour being more efficient than running... just feels right. why should i bother doing all those wallruns and flip jumps and blah blah - if someone can walk by me, and move through the room faster?

doesn't make sense.

effort, and reward. more effort put into movement, the more reward in movement you should get.

except for 'zoren coptering', of course. while i think it's great i can get some more distance with Spin Dashes, and i use it a lot when fighting enemies to change position for a more tactical angle on my enemies - becoming an aircraft from the move, isn't really necessary. i just want to extend the distance i go so i may quickly change the tactical situation in my favor.

i would be pretty dissappointed if running ended up being faster than putting more effort in. people only do more complicated maneuvers now because it speeds up traversing the environment. if running was faster, nobody would EVER use parkour. ever again. there would be no reason to, because it would be slower than the alternate option. since Warframe makes sort've a big deal about being Ninjas and traversing the environment in special ways - why would we make people not want to do that? that's counter-intuitive.

the non-motion locked character control in Warframe is the core of what i truly love about Warframe. i'm free to do anything i want, however i want. and if i really want to challenge myself, i can traverse quickly as a reward for successfully completing such a challenge.

it's what makes Warframe truly beautiful. i see no logical reason to remove this. i would rather entice and challenge newer players to experiment with parkour and find their preferred way to navigate tiles, than to make everyone walk around. i can walk around and shoot things in a linear fashion in any shooter. bringing Warframe down to that level effectively makes Warframe as generic as those generic shooters that i'm sure most of us are playing Warframe to get away from. in the Video Game Industry, we should be making Warframe more unique and stand out more, not less.

other than that, if i had a firstborn, i'd give him to you.

Edited by taiiat

this is the only thing i'm concerned about with ANY of the well thought out suggestions for parkour. (not just here, every thread and lone suggestion).

one of my most enjoyed past times IS getting those timings and angles right to efficiently move through rooms. parkour being more efficient than running... just feels right. why should i bother doing all those wallruns and flip jumps and blah blah - if someone can walk by me, and move through the room faster?

doesn't make sense.

effort, and reward. more effort put into movement, the more reward in movement you should get.

except for 'zoren coptering', of course. while i think it's great i can get some more distance with Spin Dashes, and i use it a lot when fighting enemies to change position for a more tactical angle on my enemies - becoming an aircraft from the move, isn't really necessary. i just want to extend the distance i go so i may quickly change the tactical situation in my favor.

i would be pretty dissappointed if running ended up being faster than putting more effort in. people only do more complicated maneuvers now because it speeds up traversing the environment. if running was faster, nobody would EVER use parkour. ever again. there would be no reason to, because it would be slower than the alternate option. since Warframe makes sort've a big deal about being Ninjas and traversing the environment in special ways - why would we make people not want to do that? that's counter-intuitive.

the non-motion locked character control in Warframe is the core of what i truly love about Warframe. i'm free to do anything i want, however i want. and if i really want to challenge myself, i can traverse quickly as a reward for successfully completing such a challenge.

it's what makes Warframe truly beautiful. i see no logical reason to remove this. i would rather entice and challenge newer players to experiment with parkour and find their preferred way to navigate tiles, than to make everyone walk around. i can walk around and shoot things in a linear fashion in any shooter. bringing Warframe down to that level effectively makes Warframe as generic as those generic shooters that i'm sure most of us are playing Warframe to get away from. in the Video Game Industry, we should be making Warframe more unique and stand out more, not less.

other than that, if i had a firstborn, i'd give him to you.

NOoooo you're missing the point.

The main problems are slipping and zorencoptering. These things that are straight up UGLY to look at. These things are nothing but exploits kept in the game because people got used to it. Faster sprinting is meant to only deal with THESE 2 PROBLEMS. Freerunning means overcoming obstacles while sprinting means you'll have sprint around those obstacles in a path that is very inefficient, but at least without constant slipping.

I really agree that moving in fancy ways should be encouraged, but slipping is not fancy, it's really really stupid. I am not talking about sliding down ramps, sliding in combat. I am talking about this excessive tapping of crouch key, every 2 seconds, entire time. Or slide attack spamming. It just hurts to watch a fat rhino sliding with his melee weapon the entire mission.

Talk about a bigass tittle... Really, this should be a phrase in the post, not the tittle of the thing X__X.

It had a better and shorter title, but I was really desperate to get some attention

Edited by Aure7

The main problems are slipping and zorencoptering. These things that are straight up UGLY to look at. These things are nothing but exploits kept in the game because people got used to it. Faster sprinting is meant to only deal with THESE 2 PROBLEMS. Freerunning means overcoming obstacles while sprinting means you'll have sprint around those obstacles in a path that is very inefficient, but at least without constant slipping.

there is another minor issue there as well. Sliding in it's current form, is another way to extend distance traveled. it's a common part of parkour, to extend the distance you'll move (whether it be on the ground or in the air). 

i could understand Sliding not increasing speed (though being the same speed as sprinting would be fair IMO), but it must continue to allow further distances traveled without falling into pits and stuff. in my eyes, it must, that is.

there is another minor issue there as well. Sliding in it's current form, is another way to extend distance traveled. it's a common part of parkour, to extend the distance you'll move (whether it be on the ground or in the air). 

i could understand Sliding not increasing speed (though being the same speed as sprinting would be fair IMO), but it must continue to allow further distances traveled without falling into pits and stuff. in my eyes, it must, that is.

I think the idea was not that sliding should be nerfed, but rather that sprint speed should build up as you run to give you more benefit than spamming powerslides would so that butt-sledding your way though levels and looking silly is less of a necessity.  Throwing yourself forward with a flying/sliding kick to give yourself that immediate burst of momentum to escape a hectic situation would still be a thing.

Edited by BLOODGAZMS

I think the idea was not that sliding should be nerfed, but rather that sprint speed should build up as you run to give you more benefit than spamming powerslides would so that butt-racing your way though levels and looking silly is less of a necessity.

exaclty, I have no thing else to add up.

I agree with this, given the diversity of the maps now we should be able to pull of much more ninja like moves. To be fair I remember when there was no such thing as wallrunning in Warframe, so it has come a long way with parkour and some wallrunning routes. BUT, seeing as this is a ninja game, we could take influence from games such as Prince of Persia, Assassins Creed, Mirrors Edge and the like. Obviously it would change the game quite dramatically, but so did the card modding system, and damage 2.0! The DE always look to the future for their systems, so I'm sure whatever happens will be great.

it is vital right now, and I am not being rude, just saying it hadn't had any updates recently.

the only way I can imagine freefrunning is fine for you is that you simply don't intend to use it and your play style does not involve it. For example playing nothing but defense might make these suggestion look silly. I don't think you can argue with so many people agreeing with this.

There's a lot suggestions in this thread, maybe too much. But I think wallrunning is definitely too sticky and clumsy for something like jungle, and it's horrible to be slowed down every time you try to vault over something. Games have already proven that excellent freerunning is possible and it often becomes the game's selling point, I just can't understand why warframe shouldn't have it, why call it space ninja game then?

Excelent freerunning may be available in other games using OTHER engines, but the Evolution Engine just..... isn't good. It can barely handly having more than 4 people use it at once on a client. Now imagine that but with insane complex freerunning mechanics, and object collisions. It could break the whole engine completely if not done EXACTLY right.

Who knows, it could be being slowly worked on as we speak.

Excelent freerunning may be available in other games using OTHER engines, but the Evolution Engine just..... isn't good. It can barely handly having more than 4 people use it at once on a client. Now imagine that but with insane complex freerunning mechanics, and object collisions. It could break the whole engine completely if not done EXACTLY right.

Who knows, it could be being slowly worked on as we speak.

I somehow doubt it. From the point of view of the game engine, walking or wallrunning is exactly the same, only thing that changes is the animation and the triggers for it.

How can you say it barely holds 4 people parkuring at once?

That 4 players thing is an arbitrary limit set by DE to curb bandwidth usage and to have some semblance of balance (heheh). 

There have been bugs in the past that have allowed up to 30 players in a Defense match with little lag, so I think it's more than a little presumptuous to say that Evolution Engine can't handle X when you likely have but touched the surface of what it can do.

Mirror's Edge was developed using Unreal Engine 3. If I recall correctly, Evolution Engine 2.0 is similar if not developed in Collaboration with the very same Engine. Unreal Engine was first developed as an FPS Engine, and has seen using in MMORPGs for goodness' sake.

It's not the Engine that matters. It's how it's used and how you shape it to achieve what you desire.

I think the idea was not that sliding should be nerfed, but rather that sprint speed should build up as you run to give you more benefit than spamming powerslides would so that butt-sledding your way though levels and looking silly is less of a necessity.  Throwing yourself forward with a flying/sliding kick to give yourself that immediate burst of momentum to escape a hectic situation would still be a thing.

but what if i like butt sliding? :D (not serious.)

but yes, i do get the point. i just want to make sure we don't accidentally remove important parts of the game at the same time.

it wouldn't be the first time we did that in Warframe.

edit:

you know what the 4 person caps on most games is for right?

apparently not.

it is not for engine limimtations. ever. 

it's because people with their home internet, often cannot run a server for more than 4 people in total. running a server is very intensive. if Warframe had 32 player matches with enemies and the normal stuff you have in missions (dojo is just a map with people, very simple), unless you had a home super computer and a high grade Business line, you wouldn't be able to host the match. people would D/C, anyone left would have a super laggy time, host would migrate a lot, etc.

the Evolution Engine is pretty advanced, compared to big budget engines. Digital Extremes has some great inhouse tech. 

remember, Steve mentioned other companies asking him about how they were rendering when he was touring to promote Dark Sector.

people don't try to weasel information like that out of you unless they want it for themselves because it's better than what they have.

edit2:

It's not the Engine that matters. It's how it's used and how you shape it to achieve what you desire.

up to a point. some engines are just awful(which the Evolution Engine is far from). but generally, yes :p you can achieve a lot with just about any Engine.

Edited by taiiat

you know if you wallrun, hold the wall run buttons, and then quickly tap crouch turn your camera in the direction you want to wall run in you will wall run in that direction then just let go and you will spring off that way. It is pretty awesome.