Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[The Outdated Parkour Thread] It Finally Happened! (Voice Your Opinion In The Poll!)

Aure7

+1

Without a doubt after being a serious UT player for a long period of time. The suggestions cover nearly all problematic situations of jumping and wallrunning.

mirrors edge was frostbite 1

It was a modified Unreal Engine 3 which featured a better global illumination, even it's published by EA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirrors_edge

But Mirrors Edge 2 will feature Frosbite 2 if I remember correctly. At least that's what was rumored about 1-2 years ago. Maybe they shifted it up to Frostbite 3, which would seem at least to-date.

Edited by MeduSalem

+1

Without a doubt after being a serious UT player for a long period of time. The suggestions cover nearly all problematic situations of jumping and wallrunning.

It was a modified Unreal Engine 3 which featured a better global illumination, even it's published by EA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirrors_edge

But Mirrors Edge 2 will feature Frosbite 2 if I remember correctly. At least that's what was rumored about 1-2 years ago. Maybe they shifted it up to Frostbite 3, which would seem at least to-date.

oh hmm it looks exactly like bad company 2 lol guess i was wrong lol

oh hmm it looks exactly like bad company 2 lol guess i was wrong lol

only in part. the changes made to the engine to make Mirror's Edge work was the basis for how Frostbite was constructed. 

(even if DICE somehow have lost some of the efficiency out of Unreal, and Frostbite tries to do a lot more on CPU and peoples' GPU's not really doing a whole lot). 

only in part. the changes made to the engine to make Mirror's Edge work was the basis for how Frostbite was constructed. 

(even if DICE somehow have lost some of the efficiency out of Unreal, and Frostbite tries to do a lot more on CPU and peoples' GPU's not really doing a whole lot). 

ah i had no clue lol ty for the info

2. You can slide to avoid the roll. And you can separate sprint from roll in the keybinds.

5. Yes, get rid of vault or at least have it not be the same button as jump. These two cannot be separates in keybinds. It should be double tapping forward when you are in a section you wan to vault over.

Very nice ideas and thread but don't get rid of that huge vault when releasing jump quickly after wall running I use it all the time and it is actually very effective :D THIS is what warframe is all about: huge leaps and parkour while fighting mobs !!

Edited by Tr1ples1xer

2. You can slide to avoid the roll. And you can separate sprint from roll in the keybinds.

5. Yes, get rid of vault or at least have it not be the same button as jump. These two cannot be separates in keybinds. It should be double tapping forward when you are in a section you wan to vault over.

Most of the time yes, but there will still be occasions where you roll because you forgot to press it or because of something else.

And vault wouldn't be doable with tap of forward button because vaulting is something we should be using on the run.

Very nice ideas and thread but don't get rid of that huge vault when releasing jump quickly after wall running I use it all the time and it is actually very effective :D THIS is what warframe is all about: huge leaps and parkour while fighting mobs !!

Not so effective with something like Loki + maxed rush mod.

Great Thread

I think the biggest problem in warframe is that the game, and controls feel like a chain of animations.  This is the problem of parkour and melee.  It is expected for fps games but highly unusual for third person action games.  I do not know much about this but it feels like warframe is an FPS game based on a fps engine, with some animations thrown into it to make it feel like a  third person melee/platform/action game.

The problem is the game feels very artificial.  Melee swings, jumps wall runs are a series of preset animations that play one an event occurs (contact with a surface or the click of a button/key).  It is not dynamically generated from a physics engine.  Your swings will be the same thing weather you are running forward, walking sideways or backwards.  Your body momentum, direction does not affect anything.  The set swing animation plays, thats it.   Same for wall runs.  The example images show games which the animation played is determined through the physics/momentum of the character model.  I'm not sure the warframe engine is capable of assigning animations based on physical status/events.   

I don't like that general mobility in Warframe seems like the idea is just over with. I guess when I started months ago, I thought that the game's mobility was more like a promise of things to come, being in beta and all.

Things to add? I dunno, off the top of my head: Quicker and more graceful grabbing of ledges (pulling up). Greater and more fluid interaction with environments (less strings of animations would be a good idea, as previously stated). How about a large, bounding backflip to get out of enemy swarms (a front-flip to get into them if needed, too)? Grappling hooks for the whole cast seemed like a neat idea if utilized well enough (sorry Valkyr, I think your sacrifice would be for the greater good). Aim-able melee attacks, like leaping over an enemy with a sword slice or swinging upward to hit airborne enemies. Quicker weapon swapping, ESPECIALLY since now they seem to want us to do so more often with dmg 2.0.  Increase running speed without mods - trying to keep up with the warframe races just isn't fun with slower frames. Running sweep knockdown (that kinda works how jumping melee currently does)?

I guess I could keep going, but it seems kinda pointless when DE seems done with the concept for right now. That's ok I guess... its just when you think about that whole "space ninja" concept, it kinda conjures up the idea of ... well, simply more than what we currently have.

Despite my love for Warframe, and my enjoyment of it's current state, I DO NOT consider the game to be in a satisfactory position to start mass-producing content.

I'd definitely like to see the next few updates include insane gameplay overhauls as opposed to new content. We're burning through new content way faster than it could possibly be produced, while some of these placeholder systems are starting to get on people's nerves.

I'm definitely happy with what I see in each new Livestream, Workshop and Design Council thread. My hope is that we see more of these overhauls (a la Damage 2.0 or the upcoming Melee rework) in the near future, with a very small amount of new content (maybe a gun here or there, a warframe somewhere much further down the road).

Things like New User Experience, Parkour, Melee viability, and Stealth Gameplay are the things I think about literally every time I log into Warframe. These systems really need some work ASAP, because they get harder to change the more the game continues to be expanded. New content and additional tilesets can be added at any time, while the basic gameplay gets harder to touch as it becomes fundamental for all new content. I really hope that DE continues working on them, rather than working around them.

Total agreement. 

One important thing you missed though....

Enemies who use parkour. 

Elite Corpus and Grineer assassins and rabid infested. 

You mean how ugly their parkour is? I've talked about that on part 1 thread

I wouldn't hope for any drastic changes or improvements in this department.  Its really hard to implement (collision alone is one of the hardest things to code). And its not a focus of the game, thus not a top priority. Sadly. 

Edited by Monolake

WHY

WHY isn't this implemented into the game already?!?!

DE, get on this asap because it'll give the game a better feel and more replayability when you can jump into a mission and put gymnasts to shame.

We are wearing futuristic body armors made of nano machines capable of taking rockets to the face, and yet cannot move around as nimbly as real humans do? Wat.

Very impressed with the presentation. A lot of work went in to this! I can certainly see this becoming a very good upgrade to parkour, and I can't wait to see if DE decides to implement this. My only real concern is some of the examples showing from somewhat rediculous jumps. While the parkour upgrade would be pic, you have to remember this isn't just a parkour game. It's FAR more focus on combat and RPG elements than Overgrowth.

o.0

it's the features Warframe is founded on. they're somewhat part of the core gameplay.

parkour and other movements is our most powerful weapon in Warframe. 

Its only needed for void secret rooms and a ****ing rank 8 test. Sure its fun, but its not mandatory to use.  DE has handful of work on other more important parts of the game, so I wouldn't expect movement to be changed any time soon, even if they hire more coders.