Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I have a question about how people feel about people who RP their character, even if other players are not RPing..

(PSN)Saryn-Lady

Question

Well, this might sound silly, but I'm a girl who really enjoys RPing. However I have not found a clan that focuses on RPing. So this has put me in an annoying circumstance.

i often find myself RPing my character in missions with total strangers. Does this bother people at all, or do you think other players would accept my goofy style of playing and find it enjoyable. I would love to know what you think the community thinks? and while I do enjoy it, I grow concerned I may come off as just plain weird...  I'm just wondering if it's kind of charming or that no one really cares about my childish nature.

ciuld anyone offer me some advice?

RPing is something I've never really understood the appeal of and quite frankly it just comes off as weird to me. That said, it's your game as much as it is any other player so you should feel absolutely comfortable enjoying the game how you see fit within the boundaries of the EULA. 

11 minutes ago, (PSN)Claudija said:

the thing is RP relies heavily on lore to draw from- MMOs have this in abundance but Warframe is a looter-shooter with a very bizarre story that doesn't follow itself.

The second problem is majority of WF players are: wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am they just want in- kill everything and repeat not think up amazing adventures on why you're there: why I play solo as I love to explore each and every map and try to strategically work through not:- "BBOOOOOOYYYAAAAHHHH!!! Dakka-dakka-dakka! home for a curry and Netflix in two minutes. That's why you'll find RP outside MMOs is rarer than an honest politician

You're TOTALLY right about that. But you don't need the deepest most elaborate lore. Your characters and experiences as a bio-mechanical entity with human psychologies. A.K.A.Transhumanism! Now THAT'S AS INTERESTING as it gets! XD

1 minute ago, (PSN)Saryn-Lady said:

Currently I'm #*!%ing up... Saturn?... Or the planet after it? I watched what lore one could find in WF's  narrative and honestly it's simple but more than enough to make a neat gathering of RP'ers exploring the galaxy and killing robots and clones as samurai space-mem robots!

I really recommend doing them, as majority of playerbase will have and will be using it, I sure would as it is the lore from which our RP is born :p

15 minutes ago, (PSN)Saryn-Lady said:

So I'll trype out statements here and there to give other players an idea of what my Ivara is like.

I can't see why anyone would have a problem with this.  In-game chat isn't very intrusive, so I'd say go ahead and have fun.  If anyone doesn't like it, they are free to leave squad or put you on ignore.

RP is weird in this game.
It's hard to know when you RP and when you don't. The first instinct people will have is "what the hell is going on with her?" because it's hard to send to understand from RP that you're RP... It works best in Warframe in long missions but much less in short missions because in those missions most players do it in a mindset of completing it fast and be over with it.
I once played an Among Us match with someone that RPied for a few games so rounds with him were weird. I only understood that he's RPing because he had to say he's RPing. Lucky for this guy I was in an upbeat mood this day and felt like messing around with people anyways. Games with him were fun once I got it.

RP works wonders when the other players understands it and are up to join. It doesn't work well when no one gets it.

@Saryn-Lady

Don't feel weird about it at all.

I'm a female player who almost always plays a Male frame. It's not a weird "uncomfortable in my own skin" kind of thing, I just prefer the frames I have currently.

My Hydroid Prime is my beast right now. He's got a pretty lengthy backstory and lore to go with it.

Immortal, powerful, an absolutely magnanimous creature in my imagination.

He's based on a fictional character I created for a series of books I'm writing, is a Beast as far as height/build 

Six foot eight, and looks remarkably like Peter Steele from Type O Negative.

If you were on XBox, you'd be welcome to join my solo clan. I haven't really advertised it cuz I am kind of a control freak and want my dojo a certain way, but anyway...

I say have fun with the character, play how you want to play. This is a game after all, isn't it? Imagination is what gives us entertainment: movies, games, music. Without it we would still be hunting dinosaurs with tree trunks and sling shots.

OdinsDottir

Clan London After Midnight

On 2020-12-17 at 9:22 AM, (PSN)Gentleman_Raven_ said:

Actually that sounds neat.

Not sure if I would do that but if you want someone to run missions with, hit me up on PS4.

Right back at cha! Heading to bed now but I'll add you next chance I get. Also check my discord on Warframe RP if you're interested. Thanks for your input Raven!

I've never understood the appeal of RPing either, it always feels super awkward to me if I attempt it with a group that's doing it.

I've found the best way to deal with it (in any game) without being a jerk to whoever is doing it is to not acknowledge that they're RPing, and just continue to talk to them normally, while maybe phrasing things about gameplay in a less technical way.  That way I don't have to participate and whoever is RPing can just assume I'm RPing a completely disinterested person.

I think it's awesome! I can understand why some would think it's weird, but if that's your thing, it's cool. Warframe is an amazing game with rich lore and huge potential to continue expanding on it. I totally see how RPing could enrich the experience.

I'm mostly a solo player, and I'm not the type to RP with other players, but I do have my own personal fan fiction that makes the game more fun for me. I've been a Valkyr main since forever (I'm a little in love with her) and the ship belongs to her. Her decorations, her collected treasures.

Sometimes a mission isn't Valkyr's area of expertise and she calls in a favor from another frame.

Every weapon and companion belongs to a particular frame, but they borrow from each other often. It's a little silly but building upon this story over the years has made the game feel more exciting. It sounds like RPing does the same for you and I absolutely support that.

1 hour ago, (PSN)reinestarr said:

I think it's awesome! I can understand why some would think it's weird, but if that's your thing, it's cool. Warframe is an amazing game with rich lore and huge potential to continue expanding on it. I totally see how RPing could enrich the experience.

I'm mostly a solo player, and I'm not the type to RP with other players, but I do have my own personal fan fiction that makes the game more fun for me. I've been a Valkyr main since forever (I'm a little in love with her) and the ship belongs to her. Her decorations, her collected treasures.

Sometimes a mission isn't Valkyr's area of expertise and she calls in a favor from another frame.

Every weapon and companion belongs to a particular frame, but they borrow from each other often. It's a little silly but building upon this story over the years has made the game feel more exciting. It sounds like RPing does the same for you and I absolutely support that.

you're not alone, a friend of mine said his Zaw was sentient and he needed advance its power for the next chapter. I theme my girls individually so Saryn has the Zymos as thematically it fits a spore-spreading pistol. Or each Orokin theme I keep the syandanas where possible- exclusively that girl. So no Orokin theme has Mirage Prime's syandana as that is hers alone. She has her armor as does Titania Prime although Heartwood looks amazing on many styles tbf. Things like that. So I do get where you come from.

I find it sweet that I can wander Cetus and get swarmed with compliments for my Operator especially as I wanted her to be kinda Sith-like and the Zenurik idle, swirling bone dragons and uniform black and silver with fiery eyes: pretty much covers it :P

1 hour ago, (PSN)reinestarr said:

Hit me up sometime!

On 2020-12-17 at 12:22 PM, (NSW)IronElemental said:

I kinda like roleplaying in games, i used to do that a lot in the guildhall when i played guildwars1. (ages ago)

Parking my 'shame' for nerdiness in a corner and playing something like dungeons and dragons every once in a while now fills that need for me. I have great memories from my evenings playing an aggressive dwarf warrior with a big hammer and a hidden throwing axe, to throw at whatever made him angry as a default 1st reaction. (often not too smart, but the consequences were always hilarious)

Trying to roleplay in warframe i guess is kinda hard, since the missions are usually over before you can type a full sentence.

It might work far better with like minded people if you play with a voicechannel in discord open, while you're in missions.

In clanchat i do sometimes "roleplay", as a mr freeze/frost, or pirate when im in a hydroid mood. I kinda suck at it though, since i feel warframes dont really have very deep characters, being just tools to get stuff done.

It never occured to me before that i could roleplay my "SPOILERMODE ENGAGED" though. Thats a blank slate and a somewhat "relatable being" in a universe that mostly one-shots you on sight :D

I always went for an arrogant snobby 8!+(#, fashion- and animationwise. definately wont roleplay that in public chat... Clanchat and discord is fair game, they know me by now...

Thanks for the inspiration!

I'm glad to hear this! Honestly, while it's not perfectly formatted for Roleplaying; it has a lot going for it. By the way, I run a text based Warframe RP Discord Channel.(Link below)

Fwell free to come by if you're curious as to how it works. Keep in mind it's solely for PS4 users. Thanks again for reading through my crap. XD

1 minute ago, FrostedMike said:

RP is weird in this game.
It's hard to know when you RP and when you don't. The first instinct people will have is "what the hell is going on with her?" because it's hard to send to understand from RP that you're RP... It works best in Warframe in long missions but much less in short missions because in those missions most players do it in a mindset of completing it fast and be over with it.
I once played an Among Us match with someone that RPied for a few games so rounds with him were weird. I only understood that he's RPing because he had to say he's RPing. Lucky for this guy I was in an upbeat mood this day and felt like messing around with people anyways. Games with him were fun once I got it.

RP works wonders when the other players understands it and are up to join. It doesn't work well when no one gets it.

I completely understand that, but... I mean I started an RP clan 11 months ago and I couldn't keep up with all the people who wanted! I join. Then my console broke and they just... Faded away. Im just gauging the community to see if me open ing another RP group would work. I even have a Discord ready should I decided to get it a test run.

59 minutes ago, Slaytanic93 said:

Honestly, I've never been super into RP myself, but I think it could be entertaining from time to time. A change of pace. Having played this game for so long, just running in, murdering everything and extracting ASAP gets old.

I'm on PC though, so I can't join you unfortunately.

This saddens me. :( Wish I have a computer of my own, I COULD SHOW YOU THE POWA' Of the DAAAARK SSSSIIIDE!!!...

Of Roleplaying...

1 minute ago, -CdG-Zilchy said:

My own clans have players who are serious, players who like cosplay, players who are goofy, players who love anime etc I say do what you like and just remember to also do your equal share of the work in the mission. Trying it in public squads might get some weird reactions though.

ROFL! Oh it does. But after every other mission or so, your clan starts to think your the baddest and funniest SOB in the clan. ;D

1 minute ago, (PSN)Claudija said:

how far in are you? There are quests starting with The Second Dream and on through The War Within and The Sacrifice especially that maaay change your thoughts on that one :)

Currently I'm #*!%ing up... Saturn?... Or the planet after it? I watched what lore one could find in WF's  narrative and honestly it's simple but more than enough to make a neat gathering of RP'ers exploring the galaxy and killing robots and clones as samurai space-mem robots!

4 minutes ago, (PSN)Saryn-Lady said:

You're TOTALLY right about that. But you don't need the deepest most elaborate lore. Your characters and experiences as a bio-mechanical entity with human psychologies. A.K.A.Transhumanism! Now THAT'S AS INTERESTING as it gets! XD

how far in are you? There are quests starting with The Second Dream and on through The War Within and The Sacrifice especially that maaay change your thoughts on that one :)

28 minutes ago, Slaytanic93 said:

Honestly, I've never been super into RP myself, but I think it could be entertaining from time to time. A change of pace. Having played this game for so long, just running in, murdering everything and extracting ASAP gets old.

I'm on PC though, so I can't join you unfortunately.

Sure wish you could! Or at least witness the nerdiness with your own eyes! XD

Archived