Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"Excavation - A Fresh Paint" Survey + Results

[DE]Purzzle

Hiho everybody!

The results are ready!

But first up: If you haven't scrolled through the discussion or results yet (nor participated in the first survey), then why don't you do so now?

More data is more good. I'll start updating things as soon as I get some more responses.

Results

General opinion & Solo vs. Group:

Spoiler

ykoMFrx.png

What's wrong with Excavation?

Spoiler

13lU5cG.png

Relevant results from a prior survey:

Spoiler

VCqZqpq.png

Ideas for Excavation:

Spoiler

a3SEALu.png

Spoiler

FPmfCGD.png

Survey data: Imgur Gallery | Google Sheet

Last week, I let people vote on the topic of my next survey and "Updating missions: Excavation" won!

The survey is split in two parts and should take about 3-4 minutes. First I have some general questions about Excavation. After that I'll let you vote on a few ideas of mine.

Let's see what people think!

Giveaway

As a little thanks for your time, I'll randomly choose 50 participants (PC only) and gift them weapon slots.

Past surveys

Tilesets #1 - Characters - Watching Warframe Content? - Tilesets #2 - Mission Types - Foundry Rush - Quest Difficulty - End of the Year - QoL - A different take on Warframe PvP

Cheers!

Could be interesting to have different types of excavators that get different types of materials depending on where you are. Like maybe an Excavator on one planet hits Ferrite and Plastids, and another planet hits Cryotic and Gallium. Sort of like how Extractors work. Maybe this could be tied in with a mechanic where you can "prospect" potential locations to drop the excavator.

Just spitballing those ideas together:

• You have a finite number of Excavators at your disposal for the mission.
  • You can use your scanner to find pockets of resources to drop an Excavator on.
    • You can see what type of resources are present at a dig site, eg "50% Ferrite, 23% Plastids, 27% Inert Materials".
    • The Excavator will run as long as you give it power cells.
    • Excavators can deplete the resources in the area and will need to be recalled and moved.
  • As the Excavator runs, it pumps out resources into your mission reward adds to the mission timer.
    • Every 5 minutes on the mission timer is another rotation.
    • Enemies scale as the timer increases.
    • Multiple Excavators can be run, which each add to the mission timer.
  • Every few rotations a miniboss spawns which will prioritize killing the Excavators.
    • Killing the miniboss drops an Excavator repair kit.

Basically, anything to make it more engaging.

I just want to comment on the "Stop digging" option on excavators. No... No!!

Really... the Void Fissure excavation code should simply be changed to satisfy BOTH of these constraints

• 2+ Excavator in this round
  • Everyone has 10 reactant

No stopping excavators. Just no... that can introduce bugs, trolls, etc... !!!

On 2021-01-29 at 9:55 AM, PublikDomain said:

Could be interesting to have different types of excavators that get different types of materials depending on where you are. Like maybe an Excavator on one planet hits Ferrite and Plastids, and another planet hits Cryotic and Gallium. Sort of like how Extractors work. Maybe this could be tied in with a mechanic where you can "prospect" potential locations to drop the excavator.

Just spitballing those ideas together:

• You have a finite number of Excavators at your disposal for the mission.
  • You can use your scanner to find pockets of resources to drop an Excavator on.
    • You can see what type of resources are present at a dig site, eg "50% Ferrite, 23% Plastids, 27% Inert Materials".
    • The Excavator will run as long as you give it power cells.
    • Excavators can deplete the resources in the area and will need to be recalled and moved.
  • As the Excavator runs, it pumps out resources into your mission reward adds to the mission timer.
    • Every 5 minutes on the mission timer is another rotation.
    • Enemies scale as the timer increases.
    • Multiple Excavators can be run, which each add to the mission timer.
  • Every few rotations a miniboss spawns which will prioritize killing the Excavators.
    • Killing the miniboss drops an Excavator repair kit.

Basically, anything to make it more engaging.

I would say most of this is pretty interesting outside of the scanner. I think it would just be best for Excavators to have set materials they can dig up on their respective planet, and the better you perform, the higher of a chance you'll get rarer rewards. So say the Excavator stays at 100% HP, you'll have a 50% higher shot at rare materials for the duration of the dig. Any time the Excavator falls below that 75% HP or more it will reduce your rare resource yield until it reaches the next threshold.

Excavators will also speed up based on the amount of power they have, potentially giving you more materials by increasing the amount of times they spit out stuff during the dig, the faster you max out the power, the faster you'll get rewards. Players will also want to stick closer to the Excavator to get these rewards by proxy, so this is already an improvement for spawns.

As the post itself stated, having different Excavators or Excavator interactions would also be a welcome change of pace. Mini-bosses would be a nice addition, but I would personally have them drop multiple power cells on death instead (similarly to the Defection Manics). That'll help with the power cell shortage that can occur, and when it comes to Fissures, I'm sure making them drop two or three Reactant would help as well. I think healing the Excavator should be on you and your team, much like a Defense target, and with the recent HP and Shield buffs they've received keeping them alive is far easier. 

In your results you show that when looking at excavation specifically, there is basically a consensus that something needs to be changed, whereas in the older survey there was a bit of a lean toward inaction. This might be due to sampling bias given that those who think the mode is good or those who think it can't be saved might not care about a survey relating to the mode.

The other reason I would speculate is due to the scope of the survey. When looking at all the gamemodes at once you can quickly justify inaction due to there being other things you find more important and thus would not like resources taken away from them. When looking at Excavation specifically it makes sense that people are more likely to agree to change as they are more focused on the mode itself instead of its place within the rest of the game,

It might be interesting to see how people who voted in both surveys vote's changed when in a different context.

I can't remember how I voted for the surveys, but looking at excavation when compared to all other modes, I find it to be in a good place. However, I do agree that there are things that can help make it more interesting or fun.

55 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

It totally needs grief protection, but the general idea of "give players enough time to collect reactant" is clearly something you agree with

Just imagine the Limbo that puts a bubble up and makes it a little harder to start/stop the excavator. We should not be adding this capability to excavators and the game should just check that both conditions I listed are satisfied per round.

vor einer Stunde schrieb PhiThagRaid:

When looking at all the gamemodes at once you can quickly justify inaction due to there being other things you find more important

I think so too.
The general rating for Excavation stayed the same: Average.
The mission type survey covered most missions, with "How to improve" only being a small part. This survey one however had the focus on improving the mission, leading to a more critical evaluation by participants.

"Improving Mission Types" from the prior survey:

Spoiler

ZQNEPD1.png

Power Carriers are the biggest problem for me. I play Solo a good bit, and just watching the damn thing at 0 power for minutes at a time because the Power Carrier spawns are ridiculously low at random (Especially Bounty ones on Deimos ... )

Why not have the Power Cells tie into Railjack a tiny bit?

Move the health from the excavator to the power cells. 
Excavator can't be destroyed, But the power cells can be. 
Rather than having power cells randomly carried by enemies, have your Railjack launch them down like mini drop pods. Perhaps add bonuses to Excavation based on your intrinsics?
Location on the map somewhat nearby the Excavator (Same tile but a distance away) Is marked for an incoming Power Cell (sort of similar to Survival oxygen towers)
After some time, the Power Cell lands at the location and attracts enemies to attack it. Give it a DPS cap so it can't be insta popped. should take 10 - 15 seconds unattended for a group of mobs to destroy one.
Picking it up like we currently do and transporting it back to the Excavator to power it. 
Rather than a timer, switch it to take 5 Cells to complete the cycle. 

For Relic runs, cause the Excavator to spit out Reactant when given a Power Cell. Similar to how Dispensary poops out Energy and health at intervals. 
For normal Excavations, giving it a Cell makes it spit out one of the resources the planet grants via Extractors. Cryotic as a bonus reward at the end of mission based on the number of completed digs instead of the main reward. 
Also scale the reward rotation based on mission level to a point. Base is what it currently is, Then a percentile modifier as the enemy levels increase with a heftier modifier in Steel Path. 

Eliminates pointless time wasting waiting for Power Carriers to reach the excavation tile. No more squinting at the floor looking for the canister in a pile of ammo drops. 
Late joins would be able to pick up the pile of Reactant left by the Excavators (Sites marked on map after completion).
Also reduces the frustration of getting bad RNG and finishing a cycle at 9/10 Reactant.
The faster your team can feed Power Cells, the faster you pop the Relic and reach the reward intervals. 

7 minutes ago, Purzzle said:

Improving Mission Types" from the prior survey:

Hide contents

ZQNEPD1.png

Actually looking at these stats I see why you would choose excavation for the survey. It seems to have the largest range of people willing to have it adjusted. So you somewhat amplified the original result, getting a larger portion of people to agree that there could be some changes for the game mode that people already seemed to agree the most that there could be some changes. 

The stats look quite different when viewing the stacked vs adjacent. 

Archived