Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

is it just me? or should melee change again ?(bare with me please!!)

(PSN)Hopper_Orouk

Just now, (PSN)MesonicDevotee6 said:

Such a bad response. If DE makes a warframe that has a 25 energy cost ability that wipes the entire map of enemies, you would say "oh just use these sucky ass frames instead". If they made anything broken in the game beyond repair, you would say "oh you can just gimp yourself as you please". Hopefully you don't get employed as on the balance team of a game or you would ruin it without question.  

I'm not the one that's upset with the game. I'm also not the one that created the game and literally tweets that they'll uphold the "power fantasy" theme for its players. 

If you don't agree with the people that make the game, or the people that like the game how it is....that makes you the odd person out. No one made you log in. You're more than welcome to not log on.

25 minutes ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

You need to forma melee weapons to fit Blood Rush, Condition Overload, weeping wounds and later on, primed faction mods. Without some of these mods, you're actually quite restrained. If I tried to go into Mot without them, I'd have to use way more hits to take enemies down. This would lower my ability to kill more enemies, which would drop life support faster.

In the same fashion that we need to mod primaries and secondaries to do the same but with the already mentioned restraint that needs other mods/sentinel/abilities to surpass, restraints that melee doesn't have. melee doesn't have any downtime to hit (like reloads), doesn't need "ammo" to being used, doesn't have a fixed usage (like magazine), you can spam it endlessly without using mods/sentinel/abilities, that was my point, because it seems you still don't get it, wich is getting hilarious at this point.

17 minutes ago, quxier said:

Sure... every enemy is ~5 meters from you. If you have ever played Open world then you could see enemies farther away. I can "snipe" enemies without even seeing them.

I didn't know you can't get close to an enemy to hit them and I forgot that you can see enemies at more than 100 m on every single tileset, my bad

guys, before you turn this thread into a topic about power fantasy.

i am NOT talking about power fantasy in melee, i am talking about how the way DE increased the power fantasy eliminated the potential for stylish combat system and turned it into a button spam.

you CAN have both style and OPness. in the same system.

an example is the CEDO ...Cedo is an absolute monster, it sounds good and it's satisfying to use, but for it to be effective you have to use the condition overload mechanic

i was merely hoping for a more complex or at least refined melee combo system, but i got EEEEEE

1 hour ago, Kaotyke said:

The problem with the current way of melee is two fold: Damage and mentality.

Damage is easy to explain, you get an enemy in range its going to die unless it can counter or stop your attacks, like Liches and Shield Lancers. How easy they are to die. And the weapons that dont kill them faster are usually left wayside.

Mentality is... well, what I said above. You can have the most stylish combos avalible, but when the mission is to have enemies die, the one that kills faster will win.

If we are to have another change to melees, I suggest we focus not on the stats, but on the Combos. Currently, Combos can do 2 distinct things: Lift and Increase damage.

I'm sure you noticed some combos throwing enemies in the air and there are some others that just give more damage on that hit: Tempo Royale's Standing M2 is one of them.

Vulpine Mask has granted Slash on the first hits of the standing Combo, but I think those are Increase Damage types.

Ultimately, we need combos that can give different utility when used or have enemies weaker to some Combos or types of Melees. Or some combos do other things like give some temporary Sprint/Bullet Jump speed when you hit enemies. It would complicate the system, but maybe complexity is what we need in this case...

This ^

4 minutes ago, Teljaxx said:

Do you seriously not see the issue in what you just said? You know its possible to become OP, and you know that being OP is a problem. But you don't think DE needs to fix this problem. Why?

I ask again: How does the game benefit from letting us be overpowered? Would balancing melee make the game worse?

You're assuming that being overpowered is an issue. It is not. It may be a problem for you....but it is not a problem for me.

I can choose to not use melee and still find 35 other powerful things to use in the game. 

You also must be assuming that everyone is still on the regular starchart. Some are not. Things you call overpowered become less powerful after an hour in an arbitration or Steel path mission.

Even guns are overpowered for the regular starchart. 

So how does the game benefit from being overpowered? It benefits by me liking the game and continuing to play it, even occasionally spending money on it because I want to support the game that gives me a lot of freedom to use my oh-so-overpowered builds.

54 minutes ago, ReaverKane said:

Here's a thing... Combos matter.

they don't really make a huge significant difference, yes each combo "move" does different things, one has a gap closer, one has a slam, and one builds up combo counter more than the others.

but still, you won't really need them to the point of actually having your build focused on combo attakcs

8 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

In the same fashion that we need to mod primaries and secondaries to do the same but with the already mentioned restraint that needs other mods/sentinel/abilities to surpass, restraints that melee doesn't have. melee doesn't have any downtime to hit (like reloads), doesn't need "ammo" to being used, doesn't have a fixed usage (like magazine), you can spam it endlessly without using mods/sentinel/abilities, that was my point, because it seems you still don't get it, wich is getting hilarious at this point.

I didn't know you can't get close to an enemy to hit them and I forgot that you can see enemies at more than 100 m on every single tileset, my bad

I would never attempt to melee an eidolon Synovia. Especially the ones on the shoulders. I also found the profit taker and exploiter easier with ranged weapons.

6 minutes ago, (PSN)Hopper_Orouk said:

they don't really make a huge significant difference, yes each combo "move" does different things, one has a gap closer, one has a slam, and one builds up combo counter more than the others.

but still, you won't really need them to the point of actually having your build focused on combo attakcs

That's your opinion. You don't decide what other people need or how much of a difference it is.

7 minutes ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

I would never attempt to melee an eidolon Synovia. Especially the ones on the shoulders. I also found the profit taker and exploiter easier with ranged weapons.

that's your choice, before DE nerfed them Redeemer Prime was the meta to kill eidolons.

Excepting a few enemies and a few bosses (bosses than even need other weapons, like PT), melee still doesn't have any disvantage like down times, fixed usage time and a pool of usage that you need to surpass woth mods/sentinel/abilities and that's why we pass through enemies like it was nothing whit all of them dismembered behind.

Impliying that because some enemies or bosses requires an specific mechanic to being killed as an argument against restraint on melee seems to be kinda dishonest for me.

3 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

that's your choice, before DE nerfed them Redeemer Prime was the meta to kill eidolons.

Excepting a few enemies and a few bosses (bosses than even need other weapons, like PT), melee still doesn't have any disvantage like down times, fixed usage time and a pool of usage that you need to surpass woth mods/sentinel/abilities and that's why we pass through enemies like it was nothing whit all of them dismembered behind.

Impliying that because some enemies or bosses requires an specific mechanic to being killed as an argument against restraint on melee seems to be kinda dishonest for me.

Humans aren't swinging the swords. Stamina and downtime works for humans in games because humans become fatigued. 

Warframes aren't humans and are much stronger, allowing them to melee for much longer as well as run and jump. 

This is why warframes don't break their legs when they jump from large heights.

38 minutes ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

I'm not the one that's upset with the game. I'm also not the one that created the game and literally tweets that they'll uphold the "power fantasy" theme for its players. 

If you don't agree with the people that make the game, or the people that like the game how it is....that makes you the odd person out. No one made you log in. You're more than welcome to not log on.

Power fantasy is not the same thing as being overpowered. In fact, most of the time, letting players be overpowered actually ruins the the power fantasy by making it get boring really fast.

Power is only power by comparison. You only truly feel powerful when you actually earn that power. When you start weak, and build up your power until you can overcome a great challenge. But what great challenge is there in Warframe? When do we actually need to be as powerful as we can be? Never. There is nothing in this game that is tough enough to require the massive power boosts we can have. When you can beat the supposed hardest mode of Steel Path with nothing but your basic starter gear, than what is the point of any power gains at all? Sure, you may have started the game dealing 300 DPS, and now can deal 300 MILLION DPS, but why? What's the point?

25 minutes ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

You're assuming that being overpowered is an issue. It is not. It may be a problem for you....but it is not a problem for me.

I can choose to not use melee and still find 35 other powerful things to use in the game. 

You also must be assuming that everyone is still on the regular starchart. Some are not. Things you call overpowered become less powerful after an hour in an arbitration or Steel path mission.

Even guns are overpowered for the regular starchart. 

So how does the game benefit from being overpowered? It benefits by me liking the game and continuing to play it, even occasionally spending money on it because I want to support the game that gives me a lot of freedom to use my oh-so-overpowered builds.

Being overpowered is a problem. Its right there in the name. If it weren't a problem it would simply be called powered, or powerful. The Over part is there because there is too much power. Too much of anything is, by definition, a problem. And, if it weren't a problem, there wouldn't be so many constant complaints about it, would there? Also, you couldn't be making suggestions on how to fix the problem, if it weren't a problem in the first place, now could you?

You also still haven't answered my questions. Sure, you said that YOU like being overpowered. But not why. And you haven't said anything about how letting us be overpowered makes the game objectively better. Besides, even if you like the game as it is now, how do you know you wouldn't like the game more if it was properly balanced? All you have done is shared your opinion, and nothing else. Yet you expect people to care about your opinion, despite the fact that you yourself care so little for it that you can't even be bothered to back it up with anything.

The starchart is important to consider, because most of the game's content happens there. Even if you have already cleared out every node, you still have to go back there again and again for other things. Void Fissures, Nightwave challenges, simply farming resources, etc. So if that massive chunk of content is too weak for our power, then that is a problem.

This is what the entire game needs to be balanced around. The biggest chunk of content that the most players play the most often. Balancing around the relatively small things like Arbitrations or multi-hour survival missions is stupid. The entire reason DE has been able to get away with the complete imbalance and rampant powercreep in this game is because of being able to hide behind endless missions. Specifically, having people like you to excuse the entire game being out of balance, just because of a couple tiny little situations where it isn't.

The point of balance isn't just to compare weapons, and make sure they all deal the same DPS. Its about making sure every part of the game fits together properly with every other part of the game that interacts with it. So the fact that we can easily overpower the entire starchart with most of the items in the game, yet have to spend most of our time there, is a huge problem. Its not fun to have to constantly leave all the gear you spent so much time powering up at home, because you need to go do super low level Lith fissures again.

And, its why having melee be more powerful that guns is also a problem. DE wants us to use both. But why use both, when one is clearly superior in almost every way? The current imbalance discourages behavior that they should be encouraging, and vice versa. Which is, again, a problem.

Its sad that you care so little for the quality of the entertainment you spend your time on that you can condone all these flaws. But quit trying to drag everyone else down into your dark little pit of ignorance.

1 minute ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

Humans aren't swinging the swords. Stamina and downtime works for humans in games because humans become fatigued. 

Warframes aren't humans and are much stronger, allowing them to melee for much longer as well as run and jump. 

This is why warframes don't break their legs when they jump from large heights.

That doesn't invalidate the need for some restraint >like< stamina (here, highlighted for you, since you missed it until here). It doesn't need to be precisely stamina, can be a similar system that doesn't break the lore.

Just now, vanaukas said:

That doesn't invalidate the need for some restraint >like< stamina (here, highlighted for you, since you missed it until here). It doesn't need to be precisely stamina, can be a similar system that doesn't break the lore.

Apparently players didn't like the concept of stamina in the past. I guess they got rid of it for a reason. If it's not implemented again, it's not the end of the world.

37 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

I didn't know you can't get close to an enemy to hit them

Sure, you can... but I'm talking about open world, one Cetus bounty requires you to free & protect camp. Enemies just spawn who knows where. Sure, it's possible to melee them... but I don't want to randomly run like a speedster.

37 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

I forgot that you can see enemies at more than 100 m on every single tileset

I don't know exact details but without mesa, I couldn't see completing this bounty solo. I've tried some frames, and while other stages were "fine", this one I just failed miserably because distance is so huge and you have to kill them all...

35 minutes ago, (PSN)Hopper_Orouk said:

i am talking about how the way DE increased the power fantasy eliminated the potential for stylish combat system and turned it into a button spam.

I'm playing with melee recently and what I find is not power (damage) but speed that turns it into random enemy dying. Well... it's just my initial toughs.

18 minutes ago, Teljaxx said:

And, its why having melee be more powerful that guns is also a problem. DE wants us to use both. But why use both, when one is clearly superior in almost every way?

Don't bother positing this question, people will shift the blame onto players for not using "non-meta" playstyles and just having "fun" with it even when things like my favorite Rifle, the Veldt, are literally never a good option for almost any mission, be it solo or otherwise.

Because it is apparently the player's faults when things are so weak they aren't worth using for anything other than memes or for cheap MR farming /s.

16 minutes ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

Apparently players didn't like the concept of stamina in the past. I guess they got rid of it for a reason. If it's not implemented again, it's not the end of the world.

I believe it was for being also tied to your movement, IIRC (it was too long ago), your stamina was depleted when you rolled or runned for too long, I think that the wall run also depleted your stamina. The game was way slower at that time, since isn't their focus anymore they could tie it just to melee.

I honestly don't know how they are gonna solve this, in other horde shooter games (like L4D or WH Vermintide) the enemies that requires ranged weapons are scary enough to don't be closer to them, but we are in such levels of overpower that literally nothing will be that scary unless literally oneshot us or almost oneshot us. Liches are a cool example of this tho, since melee them is risky (unless we bring a + range riven on this...) because they still break your back if they catch you, wich leaves you in a risky situation for some seconds (sometimes enough to kill you).

12 minutes ago, quxier said:

Sure, you can... but I'm talking about open world, one Cetus bounty requires you to free & protect camp. Enemies just spawn who knows where. Sure, it's possible to melee them... but I don't want to randomly run like a speedster.

I don't know exact details but without mesa, I couldn't see completing this bounty solo. I've tried some frames, and while other stages were "fine", this one I just failed miserably because distance is so huge and you have to kill them all...

That's a bug, when it doesn't bug you don't need to hit enemies 100m with a sniper. I use the operator to clear that bounty... When I see that they aren't near, I hop on the archwing to find them, works most of the time unless they are underground, sometimes I can still succed but when its buged I know for sure it's a failure. When I go as umbra + operator is even more easy.

9 minutes ago, Teljaxx said:

Power fantasy is not the same thing as being overpowered. In fact, most of the time, letting players be overpowered actually ruins the the power fantasy by making it get boring really fast.

Power is only power by comparison. You only truly feel powerful when you actually earn that power. When you start weak, and build up your power until you can overcome a great challenge. But what great challenge is there in Warframe? When do we actually need to be as powerful as we can be? Never. There is nothing in this game that is tough enough to require the massive power boosts we can have. When you can beat the supposed hardest mode of Steel Path with nothing but your basic starter gear, than what is the point of any power gains at all? Sure, you may have started the game dealing 300 DPS, and now can deal 300 MILLION DPS, but why? What's the point?

Being overpowered is a problem. Its right there in the name. If it weren't a problem it would simply be called powered, or powerful. The Over part is there because there is too much power. Too much of anything is, by definition, a problem. And, if it weren't a problem, there wouldn't be so many constant complaints about it, would there? Also, you couldn't be making suggestions on how to fix the problem, if it weren't a problem in the first place, now could you?

You also still haven't answered my questions. Sure, you said that YOU like being overpowered. But not why. And you haven't said anything about how letting us be overpowered makes the game objectively better. Besides, even if you like the game as it is now, how do you know you wouldn't like the game more if it was properly balanced? All you have done is shared your opinion, and nothing else. Yet you expect people to care about your opinion, despite the fact that you yourself care so little for it that you can't even be bothered to back it up with anything.

The starchart is important to consider, because most of the game's content happens there. Even if you have already cleared out every node, you still have to go back there again and again for other things. Void Fissures, Nightwave challenges, simply farming resources, etc. So if that massive chunk of content is too weak for our power, then that is a problem.

This is what the entire game needs to be balanced around. The biggest chunk of content that the most players play the most often. Balancing around the relatively small things like Arbitrations or multi-hour survival missions is stupid. The entire reason DE has been able to get away with the complete imbalance and rampant powercreep in this game is because of being able to hide behind endless missions. Specifically, having people like you to excuse the entire game being out of balance, just because of a couple tiny little situations where it isn't.

The point of balance isn't just to compare weapons, and make sure they all deal the same DPS. Its about making sure every part of the game fits together properly with every other part of the game that interacts with it. So the fact that we can easily overpower the entire starchart with most of the items in the game, yet have to spend most of our time there, is a huge problem. Its not fun to have to constantly leave all the gear you spent so much time powering up at home, because you need to go do super low level Lith fissures again.

And, its why having melee be more powerful that guns is also a problem. DE wants us to use both. But why use both, when one is clearly superior in almost every way? The current imbalance discourages behavior that they should be encouraging, and vice versa. Which is, again, a problem.

Its sad that you care so little for the quality of the entertainment you spend your time on that you can condone all these flaws. But quit trying to drag everyone else down into your dark little pit of ignorance.

Welcome to the wild west that is the internet. There is currently no law that says a videogame has to be "balanced". That means a private company can do whatever they want with their game. If you can't handle it, then adjust your attitude, your build, your expectations and/or your login time. Or you can continue your moral crusade to balance the game, doesn't matter to me. I'll just enjoy it until it changes, that's if it even does. I'd hope DE has the spine to not listen to you.

All that time I spent formaing my weapons and frames, farming items and plat to afford building said weapons and frames is how we earn that power.

I used to not be able to solo Hydrolyst, but now I can, and it took awhile to reach that point. And it's not boring, either. You don't decide what's boring for me.

People currently trying to nerf Steel path acolytes clearly means someone is being challenged in the game, so what's not a challenge to you or me may be a challenge to someone else. I guess they weren't overpowered. 

For the 1000th time. This isn't Saryn/RevenantFrame. 

Why do I use a Serro when a Stropha is better? Because I want to. 

Why do I use an Akvasto when a Kuva nukor is better? Because i want to.

9 minutes ago, Aldain said:

Don't bother positing this question, people will shift the blame onto players for not using "non-meta" playstyles and just having "fun" with it even when things like my favorite Rifle, the Veldt, are literally never a good option for almost any mission, be it solo or otherwise.

Because it is apparently the player's faults when things are so weak they aren't worth using for anything other than memes or for cheap MR farming /s.

If you can't kill anything with a rifle that has over 20% crit and status, as well as a 1.3 dispo, that's on you and not the weapon.

9 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

I believe it was for being also tied to your movement, IIRC (it was too long ago), your stamina was depleted when you rolled or runned for too long, I think that the wall run also depleted your stamina. The game was way slower at that time, since isn't their focus anymore they could tie it just to melee.

I honestly don't know how they are gonna solve this, in other horde shooter games (like L4D or WH Vermintide) the enemies that requires ranged weapons are scary enough to don't be closer to them, but we are in such levels of overpower that literally nothing will be that scary unless literally oneshot us or almost oneshot us. Liches are a cool example of this tho, since melee them is risky (unless we bring a + range riven on this...) because they still break your back if they catch you, wich leaves you in a risky situation for some seconds (sometimes enough to kill you).

I feel that one of the absolute best things DE ever did to Warframe was remove the stamina bar.

I have always felt that most games that have stamina only have it because they are "supposed to". It rarely improves the game in any meaningful way, and often actually detracts from it, by arbitrarily slowing you down from time to time. Like putting speedbumps on a highway. Warframe was definitely one of those games, especially when they added melee 2.0. It was incredibly annoying to sprint into melee combat, only to find you had no stamina left to fight, and having to slowly trot to safety to recharge.

But, if DE could actually reintroduce stamina as a melee only system, and actually make it interesting to use, then that could be quite nice. They might not have to directly decrease the current melee DPS, either, since simply not being able to attack as consistently would have a similar effect. It could also help differentiate different combos, since they could each use varying amounts of stamina based on how powerful they are. Do you go for the conservative light and fast combo? Or do you risk it all on big heavy attacks?

4 minutes ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

Welcome to the wild west that is the internet. There is currently no law that says a videogame has to be "balanced". That means a private company can do whatever they want with their game. If you can't handle it, then adjust your attitude, your build, your expectations and/or your login time. Or you can continue your moral crusade to balance the game, doesn't matter to me. I'll just enjoy it until it changes, that's if it even does. I'd hope DE has the spine to not listen to you.

All that time I spent formaing my weapons and frames, farming items and plat to afford building said weapons and frames is how we earn that power.

I used to not be able to solo Hydrolyst, but now I can, and it took awhile to reach that point. And it's not boring, either. You don't decide what's boring for me.

People currently trying to nerf Steel path acolytes clearly means someone is being challenged in the game, so what's not a challenge to you or me may be a challenge to someone else. I guess they weren't overpowered. 

This.

Pretty much super this.

Why the hell people use a weapon they find boring because its overpowered, like... I play for fun, not for power, not to boost my e-go, I go in, pick any S#&amp;&#036; im in the mood to use and go bum bam against enemies.

A friend of mine have this same issue, he cant play for his own life with non meta non broken gear, and its always complaining about how said gear its op and then how said gear its nerfed xD

Its a god #*!%ing game peps, just use things that you enjoy, do super non eficient combos that you have fun with and thats all, its about having fun, thats why ITS A GAME.

6 minutes ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

Sure, we can make the decision to not be OP. But we shouldn't have to. We shouldn't have to choose between having fun, and being effective. In a properly designed game, they would be the same thing. Besides, I already said that simply nerfing yourself doesn't actually so anything to make the game more fun. If anything, it makes it worse.

You don't seem to understand, that having better balance actually means MORE choices is what gear we use. We wouldn't have to choose between the meta flavor of the month, and everything else, because there would be no meta flavor of the month. If everything were equally useable, what you brought to a mission would be decided by what you enjoy using, not simply what has the right stats.

The "law" that says games need to be balanced is the law of success. Badly designed, lazy, unbalanced games should be less successful than the alternative. Therefore, all games should strive to be well made and well balanced. That's how the free market is supposed to work.

But, these days, that isn't really true anymore. Success usually comes down to marketing, not quality. Whichever game gets the most hype wins. And that's entirely because there are so many mindless consumers out there that don't actually care how good their entertainment is. As long as they have someone else to tell them what to play, so they don't have to think about anything, then they will be satisfied. That's why the "AAA" industry can put out so much objectively garbage games with objectively anti-fun things like microtransactions in them, yet still make absurd amounts of money on them.

Welcome to the capitalist hellscape that is the modern world! I'm not going to apologize for trying to do what little I can to try and make things better. And no, I don't care if that means less games pander to your terrible tastes in what's fun. Because you're idea of fun is just plain sad.

32 minutes ago, Teljaxx said:

But, if DE could actually reintroduce stamina as a melee only system, and actually make it interesting to use, then that could be quite nice. They might not have to directly decrease the current melee DPS, either, since simply not being able to attack as consistently would have a similar effect. It could also help differentiate different combos, since they could each use varying amounts of stamina based on how powerful they are. Do you go for the conservative light and fast combo? Or do you risk it all on big heavy attacks?

I like that idea honestly, risk vs reward is something that is almost entirely missing on the game... (Probably on purpose tho, I doubt they couldn't see this as designers)

Archived