Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bright n happy Vs dark n edgy

(XBOX)Ancient Mutt

it's because DE is trying to pander to as many audience types as possible. Yareli was their shot at the Kawaii crowd. but considering how many edgy frames we've had, it's only fair to switch it up a little now and then.

fashionframe also makes it possible to make any frame look happy and bright, or dark and edgy. I lean more towards the latter, but usually I only go full edgelord when I can't think of a better look right away. or I click randomize until something pops up that only needs minor tweaking.

Huh? Lets look at the most recent maps.

Corpus ship is still foreboding and a death trap to the unprepared, just with updated textures.

The sentient maps all look like they belong in something like Diablo 2 (this is a good thing)

Deimos is Doom Eternal.

The only thing light and airy is Yareli, but as others have said, the whole magical anime girl thing isnt all sugartits and rainbows that people think it is. Go look at Magical Princess Minky Momo, that series gets pretty dark later on.

On 2021-09-17 at 4:28 AM, (XBOX)General Poke said:

I seem to remember the game having dark and dirty textures and colours. It's all a bit too colourful and pretty to be 'Warframe' now. 

Compare Loki to Yarelli. Old Corpus ships to new. Old MOAs to new MOAs. 

Dunno. Feels a bit too cheerful plastic Barbie rather than blood'n'guts that Warframe used to feel like. I want more gritty sweaty dirty horrible carnage to it. 

What is the target market now? 8 year old girls? That can't be possible, I thought this an 18+ game!

Probably wrong as usual. XD 

You are somewhat correct in that a lot more on-the-nose “Whimsy” and whimsical influences have been thematically introduced, mostly from an art design perspective.

The pendulum will continue to swing both ways…DE just needs to be very aware that swinging too far the other way from the established themes to avoid stagnation can also result in divorcing from what made Warframe successful in the first place.

Fin

10 hours ago, (PSN)Silverback73 said:

The pendulum will continue to swing both ways…DE just needs to be very aware that swinging too far the other way from the established themes to avoid stagnation can also result in divorcing from what made Warframe successful in the first place.

Bold mine.

With this level of strawman logic, the changes can increase the player retention rates and number of players that try it in the first place, making the game more successful.

Saying something can cause things is nothing more than idle speculation.

Players need to be very aware that DE can chase the money and if that means newer players like more whimsy, then more whimsy will get produced if it's profitable.

DE has no onus to stagnate it's art direction and profits to please those that cannot accept change.

So what if people that hate change switch games because they no longer feel like edge lords in-game, so long as DE remains solvent and profitable with it's choices.

Try to push FUD because DE adds more whimsy and that the edge lord wannabes will be unhappy enough that DE loses it's success is silly.

5 minutes ago, Zimzala said:

Bold mine.

With this level of strawman logic, the changes can increase the player retention rates and number of players that try it in the first place, making the game more successful.

Players need to be very aware that DE can chase the money and if that means newer players like more whimsy, then more whimsy will get produced if it's profitable.

DE has no onus to stagnate it's art direction and profits to please those that cannot accept change.

So what if people that hate change switch games because they no longer feel like edge lords in-game, so long as DE remains solvent and profitable with it's choices.

Try to push FUD because DE adds more whimsy and that the edge lord wannabes will be unhappy enough that DE loses it's success is silly.

Not really, since the more whimsical things come very late in the game, at a point where the retention of that player has already been decided. If the whimsical parts came early, during the period where a player decides "should I stay or should I go?", then yeah, that "can" would apply both ways. So the "can" regarding whimsy additions will more or less only effect already playing players that are that deep into the game.

Not that I think DE adds whimsy stuff often enough to actually have a negative impact. I mean we've gotten... uhm... uh... eh... Yareli that is whimsy and uhm... yep that is it pretty much.

6 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

Not really, since the more whimsical things come very late in the game, at a point where the retention of that player has already been decided. If the whimsical parts came early, during the period where a player decides "should I stay or should I go?", then yeah, that "can" would apply both ways. So the "can" regarding whimsy additions will more or less only effect already playing players that are that deep into the game.

Not that I think DE adds whimsy stuff often enough to actually have a negative impact. I mean we've gotten... uhm... uh... eh... Yareli that is whimsy and uhm... yep that is it pretty much.

So a new player is magically unable to purchase things like Yareli and other whimsical things like fashion at the start?

I am unaware of such restrictions.

For players that like whimsy, they can buy these things and start off having them.

Access to whimsy has nothing to do with the time a player has played the game.

1 minute ago, Zimzala said:

So a new player is magically unable to purchase things like Yareli and other whimsical things like fashion at the start?

I am unaware of such restrictions.

For players that like whimsy, they can buy these things and start off having them.

A new player will not be aware that Yareli is a whimsical frame to begin with since it isnt apparent by just looking at her in the market. We knew she was going to be whimsical simply because we've seen her gradually up until release. A new player wont have that experience with any of the frames. We also got the whisical part of her fed to us through the in-game quest and the tie in to the ventkids and their bias towards her. 

9 minutes ago, Zimzala said:

I was going to disagree with you, but I did research. Eros Wings Ephemera only costs 35 Training Debt-Bonds (the cheapest ones) or at Rank 4 of Nightwave: Nora's Choice.

So... yeah, between plat purchases and some time-gating, you are correct. Bright-n-Happy is pretty accessible early on if the players know where to look.

16 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

A new player will not be aware that Yareli is a whimsical frame to begin with since it isnt apparent by just looking at her in the market. We knew she was going to be whimsical simply because we've seen her gradually up until release. A new player wont have that experience with any of the frames. We also got the whisical part of her fed to us through the in-game quest and the tie in to the ventkids and their bias towards her. 

The First Thing I did in this game was to buy a Bright and Happy color palette to add Whimsy to the game to avoid the Edge Lord aesthetics - over two years ago I was able to do it right when I started, with no 'game knowledge' whatso ever, I had not even hit the wiki yet, just had a friend tell me the game was cool.

You sound like a new player is some kind of 'new human' that has no self motivation or agency to understand the new GaaS game they are trying out for laughs.

12 minutes ago, LillyRaccune said:

I was going to disagree with you, but I did research. Eros Wings Ephemera only costs 35 Training Debt-Bonds (the cheapest ones) or at Rank 4 of Nightwave: Nora's Choice.

So... yeah, between plat purchases and some time-gating, you are correct. Bright-n-Happy is pretty accessible early on if the players know where to look.

I was able to do it with no effort right from the time I began the game without having to look any further than what was available in the market.

People like me who play games with whimsy know how to approach these things.

Does it sometimes require a little research when starting? Sure, just like All GaaS games do.

So yeah, all it takes is coming into these games with open eyes.

I realize there are players that fear change like I fear plaid shirts, but none of that prevents a whimsy based gamer from finding the whimsy available in a game.

9 hours ago, Zimzala said:

Bold mine.

You made my point trying to come across as smarter and more superior and assumptions that come across as demeaning.

All I said was “can also”.  Pendulums swing both ways to extremes, hence the metaphor.

Change a brand too much in an attempt to diversify and grow and you can negatively impact a successful formula.

Just as much as not evolving at all in a competitive market can cause diminishing returns as well…stagnation.

Art Design in Warframe has a definite theme/set of standards but also thrives on variety.

We all know DE will look at Analytics and ROI and make decisions accordingly to keep growing.

18 hours ago, Zimzala said:

The First Thing I did in this game was to buy a Bright and Happy color palette to add Whimsy to the game to avoid the Edge Lord aesthetics - over two years ago I was able to do it right when I started, with no 'game knowledge' whatso ever, I had not even hit the wiki yet, just had a friend tell me the game was cool.

You sound like a new player is some kind of 'new human' that has no self motivation or agency to understand the new GaaS game they are trying out for laughs.

Colors arent the same as skins though. You cant see whimsy by looking at Yareli's skin for instance, but you can see "whimsy" in whatever color you think classifies as that. In reality Yareli os one of those that look the most "edgy" straight out the door due to her coloration and a skin that draws my thoughts to living dead girl or a corpse bride. Also, to be quite fair here, you sound just as narrowminded as the OP regarding WF's theme if you actually felt a need to get happy colors to avoid the "edge lord aestethics". There isnt even a handful of frames that come with an "edge lord" default coloration. Not even Ash or Nekros look very "edgy" in their default colors. The majority of the roster is extremely neutral.

Archived