Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Mobile worries me…

_Euphoria_

15 hours ago, (NSW)mrEkli said:

This argument is a bit short sighted and makes a lot of assumptions. There's many phones that are more accessible to people and more powerful than is being considered. Wait... Let's kick off every PC player that doesn't have a computer newer than 10 years. They're holding us back.

DE already do this though. Just last year, they killed support for everyone using DX10:

It's a matter of time before they kill support for DX11 as well as Microsoft ends support and optimizations for it alongside Windows 10 by 2025. Minimum requirements are always pushed up with each passing generation as new lighting techniques and features are added.

17 hours ago, Yamazuki said:

I'm not a mobile gamer but my phone can run games at 1440p and fully maxed out settings, and load games quicker than many people can on their PCs or Consoles.

Mobile performance specs are extremely misleading though. Mobile performance is in reality 1/4 of their paper specs once you take into account heat (Passive cooling) and battery drain. A mobile game "may" look like a PS4 game at 1440p but that's because the screen is small-enough you are not seeing the cuts to geometry. texture resolution, on-screen objects, LOD, draw distance (Easily the biggest and first practical cut), shadow resolution, shadow distance, SSR, anti-aliasing quality, ambient occlusion, lighting model complexity, light sources, shadow cascades, reflections, particles, physics, native internal rendering resolution (Vs display resolution) and more for a game that is demanding on its own. This is even harder to see for highly-stylized games such as Fortnite.

This is why years later, this statement by John Carmack has remained unchallenged. A 1:1 port keeping the exact same assets for a demanding, non-esport oriented PC game (Or even base PS4) has not been done yet:

There are ways around that statement, such as making the "mobile port" a client to a cloud machine rendering the game at much higher settings that would be possible in the phone. But then you're not rendering the game itself in the phone (Not a 1:1 port thus not challenging Carmack's statement), only a client of it. By the same token, you can use the same approach to theoretically do 4K gaming in a PS2 even though it would be displayed at 480p.

At the end of the day it's a matter or whether or not you care about how the game is made to run in the phone. I don't think most people care how a magic trick is done, but the reality is that sustained, raw mobile performance for high-end phones is barely getting close to the base PS4, which is, mind you, a 2013 machine using 2011 parts. That's just how wide the performance gap is.

18 hours ago, _Euphoria_ said:

I struggle to understand how a game as huge as Warframe with 3 open worlds and high paced gameplay can be adapted to mobile platform without running into and causing big problems for the game overall…

Have you tried PUBG mobile? 4 big maps (Erangel, Miramar, Sanhok, Vikendi) and 2 small maps (Livik and Karakin) with big ranging from 4x4 (Sanhok) to 8x8 km and small being 2x2 km and I see no problem with my phone

It won't make your phone explode or anything, and we have this super low graphics setup even on PC version years ago (back when i3 and 4GB ram can run the game 30 fps)

17 hours ago, QuestWasTaken said:

Void storms

The Lion King Reaction GIF

Considering we have low setup, try it for yourself and see how eye wrecking the void storm is

15 hours ago, Silligoose said:

This seems like a concern with merit, though I am more concerned with how the game seems to be getting dumbed down more and more to accommodate mobile players. It could just be a coincidence, but the more changes I see, the more it seems it may be more than coincidence and it's sad to see the transition.

More like players can't handle enemies being threatening or we would still having rollers with blades stun locking you as the lowest bar (or look at new war section)

14 hours ago, Hypernaut1 said:

more complex a.i

Vauban, nezha, and any other enemy disabling Warframes say hi, unless you want to see abilities being a different flavor or stun, slow or root? No ill intentions here

*Hides oversharpened nerf hammer that has turned into nerf axe

14 hours ago, (PSN)jaggerwanderer said:

Me personally would hate mobile devices being able to login warframe systems. Only because how dumb down the gameplay has to be in order to make it functional. How the hell do you play a multi button game like warframe on a two finger touch screen? I'm on console and DE haven't solve our button mapping complains.

4 abilities, jump, crouch, switch weapon and aim button at the baseline. You can put jump and crouch as individual button (PUBG mobile), aim being toggle or automatically aim down sight when firing (PUBG New State) and 4 buttons around attack button (Mobile Legends or any mobile game with abilities) swith weapon can be set to be quick switch where you hold button and swipe to your desired weapon (Standoff 2)

I've never been worried about DEs work when it comes to performance, I mean, I play on Xbox one, game doesn't crash, still get solid 50-60fps during missions, I played other games that can't get a solid fps rate and same amount of bs at the same time during a mission, also, DE releases performance updates here and there with patches, minor and major updates

Now, if you're talking about mobile becoming a go to platform then probably not, you'll pull out your phone to play a quick mission here while waiting for something, or an alert you forgot, small game sessions

About the updates, I believe that if DE sees mobile as a no go during development, they might drop it, release crossplay for all current platforms, and release mobile later, DE is quite good with Primed Soon builds

Tl;dr: I think DE does some weird sorcery when it comes to performance issues

On 2022-02-23 at 2:32 AM, _Euphoria_ said:

Mind giving example of a game of similar scope and quality compared to Warframe also running on mobile? Even so, making sure everything works on mobile is stilly likely to prove a challange for DE in the long term

Genshin Impact? That game is massive in terms of scope, quality and open world game that runs on mobile.

Genshin on PC performs identically, if not slightly worse on PC because its a only slightly demanding game than Warframe. If Genshin can run on a phone, Warframe can. Its a matter of how crafty porting needs to be.

Phones have improved over the years. Its mostly the battery that would probably needs innovations in.

On 2022-02-22 at 1:54 PM, _Euphoria_ said:

I struggle to understand how a game as huge as Warframe with 3 open worlds and high paced gameplay can be adapted to mobile platform without running into and causing big problems for the game overall…

I feel like the crossplay/crossplatform update is taking the most of DE’s development time right now and even after it’s release there is a good chance new updates will take longer to arrive because each time DE will have to make things work in Mobile Devices and not make the phone explode, play at 15fps  or run out battery in 10 minutes etc… Everytime DE will think about doing something big, they’ll have to think “Wait this idea wont work because it has to run on mobile devices aswell”.

Even if DE does amazing job at optimizing the game for Mobile, no matter what the game is bound to be UBER battery hungry and I dont see it being the go to platform for anybody… hope I am just wrong tho.

You see I am just worried that WF mobile will be holding back the game development causing restrictions for other platforms too.

Anyway sorry for long post had to just state my mind here ^^

I disagree. The game functions as almost an entirely single player game with the exception of teaming up of which you do not have to do. I would find having Warframe on mobile to be an exceptional feat that I would look forward to enjoying a LOT. I'd be more interested in knowing who YOU are to make such a claim. I play on PC and XBOX. Mobile is such a good idea no wonder trolls be crying over nonsense. Competition? Hardly. This game has its audience. So what is the gripe about? My phone network works better than my home network. I play XBOX streaming service, high fidelity, in a very LOW quality bandwidth location and it works amazingly. Keep your fake schizoid embolism to yourself. BTW, I live in the middle of nowhere.

On 2022-02-22 at 7:54 PM, _Euphoria_ said:

I feel like the crossplay/crossplatform update is taking the most of DE’s development time right now and even after it’s release there is a good chance new updates will take longer to arrive

To be fair, I had this worry when they tired to make all updates "At the same time" for the console players and look where we are now, but I do agree with how some people think that Cross-play will be the death of WF, as in my experience with Cossplay in D2, is that console players (Specially Xbone players) rage quit a lot more and have toxic mindset. (Have you heard them talk on mic?).

And keep in mind that if DE want to add Corssplay they MUST fix host migration otherwise it's gonna be completely off the rails and will make Public/PuG play impossible.   

On 2022-02-22 at 11:54 AM, _Euphoria_ said:

I feel like the crossplay/crossplatform update is taking the most of DE’s development time right now and even after it’s release there is a good chance new updates will take longer to arrive because each time DE will have to make things work in Mobile Devices and not make the phone explode, play at 15fps  or run out battery in 10 minutes etc… Everytime DE will think about doing something big, they’ll have to think “Wait this idea wont work because it has to run on mobile devices aswell”.

Even if DE does amazing job at optimizing the game for Mobile, no matter what the game is bound to be UBER battery hungry and I dont see it being the go to platform for anybody… hope I am just wrong tho.

You see I am just worried that WF mobile will be holding back the game development causing restrictions for other platforms too.

That Warframe runs on Nintendo Switch is very amazing when it came out. So why not. We didn't believe that cell phones could offer so many functions decades ago either. 

On 2022-02-22 at 10:54 PM, _Euphoria_ said:

Why do you think we are not getting content or any proper events for three months. Cross platform/cross save is a death sentence for warframe. And also there are certification process for consoles that makes the wait between the contents even higher

Archived