Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The New War just made me uninstall after 7 years playing (MR30)

ArxDurusMaximus

DON'T GIVE UP NOW!  I completely agree with everything you said about the mission, IT'S NOT WARFRAME!  You are NOT the first person, nor the last, to be frustrated with the tedium of The New War quest.  There was literally over 100 pages of comments about the Trials and Tribulations that is The New War.  It was a steaming pile of vitriol that was a Trollfest for some, capitalizing on the misery that this quest provided.  But They/We overcame their weaknesses by implementing strategies and advice given by some of the helpful Tenno.  There were even a few Tenno that had disabilities and they were able to complete The New War so take it from someone who took weeks of struggling to get through it, YOU CAN DO IT!  You only need to kill 2 Archons because the third you get your Warframe back which trivializes the match.  Their is a whole new amazing and beautiful tileset that awaits you called the Zariman once you complete The New War.  The Zariman is probably their best work to date with lovely visuals and supurb sound detail that makes all your frustrations with The New War worth it!  So pick up that controller or keyboard and keep at it because if this old queen can do it, so can you!  If you want specific advice, just ask, as there are many here willing to assist you

Good luck and have a pleasant tomorrow!

5 minutes ago, ArxDurusMaximus said:

Didn't want to quote your entire post, but thank you for that information.  Somehow in all the stuff I'd read through, no one had actually mentioned that.  Might be because they were trying to save the spoilers, but honestly, if people are searching around online for how to skip past this stuff, they're probably not worried about the spoilers.  For me, once I'm through and back to the regular game, I can watch a video of someone else slogging through on my other screen to get any lore I missed.  Because I do like the lore, I just hate how they're feeding it to me.

You're the first person who's actually made me start to reconsider.  Eh, maybe in a week or two I'll feel like giving it another shot, knowing I just have to plow through two levels and two boss fights that'll take me 50 attempts each.  I guess we'll see.  But seriously, thanks for the info.

No problem mate, Glad to be helpful (for once!).

Take all the time you need... In the meantime it may be wise to prepare strats (watching videos of people dealing with the archons as Drifter) so you can even finish it in one go when you feel able to get back.

I replayed the quest in the past just to examine the Zariman tileset but just a little spoiler... You don't need it to do that anymore :wink:

vor einer Stunde schrieb ArxDurusMaximus:

Yeah, I was already done with it before I got to those stealth sections, so I just looked it up online and followed directions.  Even with the directions I found some of it a bit confusing, so I can only imagine how it might have gone without.  Sad to hear that continued in the new mission types (if I'm understanding what Khal Missions are).    I do appreciate that DE is constantly trying to do new things, I just want it to be optional, like Archwing was when it first came out (and still needed a lot of work), or Railjack.  Making the entire game lock to this new and completely different thing they've come up with isn't a good idea.

I agree. this lock is the biggest problem when it comes to new content and even arbitrations!
if they haven't changed that, you have to play new nodes after the new war quests.

so if these quests were only for new weapons/warframe, it would be ok... you don't have to play them.

and khal missions don't even have loot. but only points after the mission. that's weird too. because it doesn't matter if archwing, railjack, necromech etc. - there is always loot and upgrades. but everything is missing here. only strange cosmetics are there.

11 minutes ago, ArxDurusMaximus said:

It's just unfortunate that we're forced to "endure" things in the first place, when we're here for fun.

If you think that New War is that much of a slog to endure, can I introduce you to some games developed by From Software? Those games are endurance-worthy.

vor 11 Minuten schrieb (XBOX)Rez090:

If you think that New War is that much of a slog to endure, can I introduce you to some games developed by From Software? Those games are endurance-worthy.

oh well. then you can play very old games with good stories. then the time flies like in sleep and i don't keep asking myself when it will finally be over. moreover, the atmosphere is still extremely good. for example:
Realms of the Haunting
thief 1-2
etc.
and you don't need top pc for that.

2 minutes ago, slava.ukraine said:

oh well. then you can play very old games with good stories. then the time flies like in sleep and i don't keep asking myself when it will finally be over. moreover, the atmosphere is still extremely good. for example:
Realms of the Haunting
thief 1-2
etc.
and you don't need top pc for that.

no, just need a pc period to run them

Well look at the state of the game and population. the game is dying slowly and its because of decisions like mentioned in this post. There is no excuse at all to force people to play a quest and complete it before doing any other activity. Even if they say you have to put in the words to make it happen.. That is just a really bad mechanic overall. no other game has ever forced players to complete a quest in order to play the rest of the game. Oh.. You started over the weekend and could not finish the quest and its the week and you just want to chill and play. Too bad you have to complete the quest or you cant play with others and your locked out. How stupid is that. So now i have to suffer through a quest that maybe i don't want to finish because i am tired and just want to grind a bit and have fun.. But i cant because the developers are forcing me to play New war and i have no way to escape or even come back to it later on.

I never heard of any game doing this to its players. not the massive MMOS or even single player games. None have ever made me have to do a quest and cant do anything else until i complete it. Most have a way to come back to it later on and you can finish it later. Even if it makes sense lore wise.. Its stupid.. You can have a war and what not and still allow me to grind a bit. But to force me to play a quest for several hours and if i dont complete it.. Well tough luck. What if i cant complete it and i get stuck in the mission.. Than what.. I am forever cant progress and play the game?

I bet many others have done the same as you and the population and health of the game is reflected in that.  Hopefully De does not make another new war type of quest that forces you to complete it even if maybe you want to do something else and could not complete the quest because things happen.

vor 17 Minuten schrieb TennoOfShadow:

That is just a really bad mechanic overall. no other game has ever forced players to complete a quest in order to play the rest of the game.

That one wins the weeks prize for absurd statements. Having to finish a quest or rather a long chain of quests is standard for most MMO before you can roam freely in a MMO, this is a recurring thing as you often have to unlock the new endgame again, when a new expansion is released. The whole New War quest isnt all that long and can be finished in a single evening. To me it looks like certain drama fans want to stir the pot again.

Pathetic!

8 minutes ago, Prexades said:

That one wins the weeks prize for absurd statements. Having to finish a quest or rather a long chain of quests is standard for most MMO before you can roam freely in a MMO, this is a recurring thing as you often have to unlock the new endgame again, when a new expansion is released. The whole New War quest isnt all that long and can be finished in a single evening. To me it looks like certain drama fans want to stir the pot again.

Pathetic!

Name a few of those MMOs that do that. And lets not include tutorials because that is differnt. What other MMOs do the same thing that new war does. 

6 minutes ago, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

um, what are you smoking? plenty of games do this, particularly (j)rpgs do this.

Alright name them. Although you can not compare  (j)rpgs to warframe because they are not the same type of game. And if you are talking about dark souls games or even elden Ring. Pretty sure Elden ring I am not forced to a quest and the bosses you can skip.. Most of them anyway there are some that you can not.. But you can come back to them when your stronger.. Not like your locked in to fighting them and cant do anything else until you do 

Just now, TennoOfShadow said:

Alright name them.

Dragon Age for starters. Star Trek Online. Neverwinter. Mass Effect. Borderlands. Fallout. Elder Scrolls. Grand Theft Auto. Red Dead. Assassin's Creed. Far Cry. Outriders. Diablo. Witcher. Pillars of Eternity. Should I keep going?

10 minutes ago, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

Dragon Age for starters. Star Trek Online. Neverwinter. Mass Effect. Borderlands. Fallout. Elder Scrolls. Grand Theft Auto. Red Dead. Assassin's Creed. Far Cry. Outriders. Diablo. Witcher. Pillars of Eternity. Should I keep going?

Lets see.. Assassin Creed I know for sure did not have the same thing like new war. I played almost all of them. They had a tutorial and you earning the assassin mechanics but you could do other things but again cant be compared to warframe . Diablo 3.. Played that as well in fact they made it now that you can play adventure mode from the start you do not have to do the story missions. Unless you talking about Diablo 1 and 2.. Which no idea i never played them only played 3. Pillars of eternity is a completely different game to warframe

The only game that can be the same as warframe is Diablo 3.. and as i said you can play Adventure mode from the start. your not forced to do story missions  to do it any more.

46 minutes ago, TennoOfShadow said:

Even if it makes sense lore wise..

Is not about lore, but limitations in the code. They can't keep the same starchart from new war to interfere with the universal starchart we all have access before/after new war. This is why you need to do the quest alone and why you can save your progress in the quest. They can't change that apparently. 

More simple: New War is an uber "solo mode", with your own personal starchart, with the possibillity to save between each big scene or act, and totally outside the rest of the game until you finish and can connect to the universal starchart again.

No lore stuff involved, plain and simple systems limitations.

I was in the same boat, I hated()I still do the section with the drifter, s/he is a weak, slow, and his skill tree is 100% garbage. Stealth mission is like a bad joke, I remember being spotted if so much as a toe is visible(sometimes I wondered if they could see through walks), the owl boss fight was the only actual bad one, but that was more along the lines of how unnecessarily and stupidly drawn out it was with all the extra stages the fight had.

The snake was a joke and the wolf I faced with my wisp later on was a cake walk.

I think the worse parts of the new war is drifter section and later own being forced to use that garbage slow as hell club they call a sword(the worse weapon for a fast melee user such as myself).

Only two good things came out of it, the bow and ........

They haven't finished it so I am doing my best to keep the important stuff unspoiled.

At the end of it all it's worth finishing.

2 hours ago, Prexades said:

Somehow I am reminded of a clown-youtuber making videos for the past 4 years how Warframe is done and finished and this will be the end...

Ahh yes, i know EXACTLY who you are talking about. That one who survives purely on clickbait drama and that for the past 4 years has been saying nothing but doom and gloom and somehow, the game is still far from "death" or "done".

32 minutes ago, R4bbit0le said:

Game's forums should add an airport section so people feel more comfortable sharing their departures

I like this idea.

20 hours ago, ArxDurusMaximus said:

I was on a hiatus from playing for a little while (after I hit MR30 and maxed out everything available for like the 4th time), and just came back last month.  Started cleaning up the updated Railjack stuff, picking up the new Primes, hunting the new Sisters, etc.  I put off starting The New War because of the warning that it would take "several hours" and I wouldn't be able to access the regular game during that time.  It sounded pretty awful, for someone who just wants to play and collect everything.  But eventually all that new content hiding behind the quest called to me, so today I broke down and activated the quest.

I know some people like this.  I know because I've read their posts.  But even they admit that this is not Warframe.  

I strongly disagree with this statement, there's been a desire for "Operator Only" content for quite some time (Going back to when War Within first launched). Go back and watch the first Duviri trailer back in 2019. There's no Warframe to be seen or heard from. Same thing with the gameplay demo we saw during Tennocon this past July. This type of content has been requested since 2016. It's still very much Warframe. And once you've completed the quest: Your back at the star-chart. 

I mean do what you want, but personally I wouldn't give up after 7 years because I was stuck at the point you are. Not when the stuff afterwards is pretty solid content and a lot of fun. I've given my fair share of criticism of the quest but that was really changed after VeilBreaker came out. But I'd recommend finishing the quest and making your decision after that point. 

At least they warned players from the beginning that you would be locked in until you finished the quest.  But that's also likely a mistake that won't be made again. I can see why this is a problem for players but overall the quest is very well done. I'd say take a break and try and finish it again because what's on the other side waiting for you is pretty good. 

So... personally, I think any person can quit a video game at any time, without needing a reason or justification. That, and sometimes they should. Not every game is for everyone, not all games will last forever, people often outgrow games, games will often outgrow people etc

So when I say the following, it doesn't nor am I intending to delegitimise or invalidate any of your claims, frustrations etc but... it sort of seems like you started to resent the quest before you even played it? Now hypothetically you may have played the quest with neutral intent and still been disappointed, but it almost seems like you have your own personal view of what Warframe should be, and when Warframe deviates or doesn't meet your personal view (which may overlap with others). Then... Warframe is insert negative term here. Which again, for clarity, I think is fair. As far as fair to an individual. If they play a game for a reason, the game changes, and then they don't want to play... I mean... 

I think where you'll get some conflict and disagreement is in some of the nuance. Like you did acknowledge that many people did like and enjoy the New War, but there are many people who didn't enjoy it, thought it was lacking and average, but they completed it, because its not something they would quit the game over. For whatever reasons they may have. Some for example, may enjoy the other parts of the game, enough, that even disliking the New War, they will be back to their usual activity after. So that raises the question? Despite your lack of enjoyment, is there anything else in Warframe you enjoy and get excited over, that you are willing to get past New War? If no... maybe you are just burned out on the game? Or you grew part the game, or the game grew past you. Either way is valid, it is more of a personal issue though, since Warframe can mean a lot to different players. The other day someone threatened to quit over the Grendel rework, a person threatened to quit over DE's attitude on charity donations etc 

Alternatively, you also framed a lot of this around "what is Warframe" and there, quite a few other players will definitely agree with you, because yes, many do not like how Warframe has introduced other non Warframe elements into the game. This can become more of an objective criticism of the game, and its makers, and its direction, etc Personally, whilst I can sympathise with players who hold the attitude that "The game is called Warframe, not XYZframe", when I started playing, there was already a lot of side content where Warframes weren't the priority or some other evolution/adaptation from the original version of the game had taken place. Game was called Warframe, not "Bulletjump Frame" etc So stuff like New War didn't really feel like a betrayal or deviation of Warframe. Again, just my opinion, but on top of that... objectively speaking, I don't see the game un-breaking the glass here. So if you didn't like New War, what are the chances you will like Duviri Paradox? Also its not like DE is going to be like... oh a small minority of players quit after the New War, so lets cancel Duviri Paradox and future plans, for not being "Warframe enough". 

Again though, in a neutral sense, it just means, your personal vision of the game, is different from the Devs vision, and also whilst many other fans may overlap with your vision, with their own, a lot of fans, are either neutral or totally on board with the Devs vision. In which case, the conflict here is about your personal investment, with time, energy, emotion, money etc into a game, that is now moving further away from what you want it to be. Which is going to naturally cause a lot of frustration, resentment and other types of negativity. Which is super valid, but eh... there isn't really much that can be done unfortunately. So such threads can sometimes come across filled with disdain and resentment, where a person leverages their loyalty and commitment to a game, to insult it, challenge it to be what they want it to be, or risk/threaten losing your loyalty and participation. Again, in one way thats valid, I did word it a bit dramatically. 

Personally speaking, I don't expect games to try to cater to myself too personally. Maybe its because I grew up in an area where you only really played games once, you moved on, etc games with longer life cycles, I can enjoy, but Warframe for example... next month, they might change how all my favourites play, and nerf all the weapons I enjoy the most, into being the least effective weapons. I mean, they probably won't, I have too many favourites, it would be too much work to rework them all, and I am not that particular, but just hypothetically speaking. Would mean all the time, effort and money I put towards the game... That being said, thats something I understand and acknowledge about the game and my interactions with it. 

Also, is it possible you are just frustrated over such realisations, about the games direction? With time, could you spend an hour or two to finish the New War, because you remember the parts of Warframe that you do enjoy and want to get back to? Warframe will often bore me if I play it too long, so I take frequent breaks, which helps me avoid burnout.

Good luck to you either way! 

Well, I read all the stuff about it taking hours. People told me I could take breaks so I didn't have to complete it all at once. I stopped avoiding Deimos like the plague so I could get/build a necramech. I didn't mind if it took me long and that I would miss regular game play for a bit. At the time, I was playing every other week or so in general. 

I have stopped counting how many baro's I have missed. But I think I started in August. 

I was never a great player but I had fun. But I can't kill the Archons in the wild hunt. I guess I'm an abysmal player 🤷‍♀️

It sucks. I have all this plat that nobody can benefit from now. Since I can't play the game anymore, I can't use it. I would happily gift it away to people, so it wouldn't be wasted, but I can't do that either.

4 minutes ago, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

So when I say the following, it doesn't nor am I intending to delegitimise or invalidate any of your claims, frustrations etc but... it sort of seems like you started to resent the quest before you even played it? Now hypothetically you may have played the quest with neutral intent and still been disappointed, but it almost seems like you have your own personal view of what Warframe should be, and when Warframe deviates or doesn't meet your personal view (which may overlap with others). Then... Warframe is insert negative term here. Which again, for clarity, I think is fair. As far as fair to an individual. If they play a game for a reason, the game changes, and then they don't want to play... I mean... 

I feel like this is the #1 issue with the community, everyone has their own view on what "warframe" is. Especially after The New War dropped. I remember back in 2016 when the "Operator Only" content request was a vocal request from the community. So, DE finally does it and it's now categorized as "Not Warframe" which I find kind of hilarious when you consider that. We are only going to receive more of that content when Duviri drops. Duviri's also accessible before The New War (I think they said after War Within is when you access it) so depending on when you play Duviri: You actually can meet Drifter before The New War. 

It's also the move to make regarding this update (Duviri's placement). And I find that's also a problem when looking at The New War. I personally believe if you were not locked into it until you finish it, a lot of it's critic's would have different feelings regarding it, which is likely why Duviri is placed where it is. And believe me I had my own criticisms for it but at the same time, I'll say it's worth finishing. Now there was also a time where I personally didn't take part in the Operator stuff until maybe after PoE dropped. And that's where my feelings were changed and wanted Operator Only content. So this type of content was only going to get expanded on, like it does in The New War. 

I believe not finishing it is a mistake. It's not perfect but leaving it unfinished is just ignoring what still exists on the other side. 

12 minutes ago, empresslilandra said:

Well, I read all the stuff about it taking hours. People told me I could take breaks so I didn't have to complete it all at once. I stopped avoiding Deimos like the plague so I could get/build a necramech. I didn't mind if it took me long and that I would miss regular game play for a bit. At the time, I was playing every other week or so in general. 

I have stopped counting how many baro's I have missed. But I think I started in August. 

I was never a great player but I had fun. But I can't kill the Archons in the wild hunt. I guess I'm an abysmal player 🤷‍♀️

It sucks. I have all this plat that nobody can benefit from now. Since I can't play the game anymore, I can't use it. I would happily gift it away to people, so it wouldn't be wasted, but I can't do that either.

Are you doing them Solo? Because with Cross-Play now in the game I'm sure you could find a decent group to get it done. I find the Sorties fun. I've also missed a few rotations and Baros but overall, that is not a big deal. I have absolutely no issues with FOMO. Games here when I am ready to come back to it. (For anyone really) 

8 minutes ago, (XBOX)RelsWhisper said:

Are you doing them Solo? Because with Cross-Play now in the game I'm sure you could find a decent group to get it done. I find the Sorties fun. I've also missed a few rotations and Baros but overall, that is not a big deal. I have absolutely no issues with FOMO. Games here when I am ready to come back to it. (For anyone really) 

Is not talking about the sortie archons, it's saying that has been stuck for months in the drifter segment when you need to hunt down 2 archons.

1 minute ago, (XBOX)RelsWhisper said:

I feel like this is the #1 issue with the community, everyone has their own view on what "warframe" is. Especially after The New War dropped. I remember back in 2016 when the "Operator Only" content request was a vocal request from the community. So, DE finally does it and it's now categorized as "Not Warframe" which I find kind of hilarious when you consider that. We are only going to receive more of that content when Duviri drops. Duviri's also accessible before The New War (I think they said after War Within is when you access it) so depending on when you play Duviri: You actually can meet Drifter before The New War. 

It's also the move to make regarding this update (Duviri's placement). And I find that's also a problem when looking at The New War. I personally believe if you were not locked into it until you finish it, a lot of it's critic's would have different feelings regarding it, which is likely why Duviri is placed where it is. And believe me I had my own criticisms for it but at the same time, I'll say it's worth finishing. Now there was also a time where I personally didn't take part in the Operator stuff until maybe after PoE dropped. And that's where my feelings were changed and wanted Operator Only content. So this type of content was only going to get expanded on, like it does in The New War. 

I believe not finishing it is a mistake. It's not perfect but leaving it unfinished is just ignoring what still exists on the other side. 

Some great observations. Yeah. 

Again I am not trying to diminish what any individuals may view the game as, and then the game not holing to those expectations, but to myself, Warframe has always been about trying to throw new stuff at the wall, and seeing what sticks. I am at the point where I personally will enjoy Railjack here and there, but like some fans, in the past, I thought DE's attempts to make Railjack a thing were odd, until I came across an old video or statement, I think from Steve, about how long Railjack had been conceptualised as a part of Warframe. Even if I didn't recognise it, or necessarily enjoy it, there is a lot to Warframes identity, so I try not to impose my personal view of the game, on to it and by extension others. Which also means, I find it interesting when people frame it a certain way, beyond their personal subjective views. 

I'm the type of fan who enjoys the narrative/story aspects of games, so yeah, the plot resolutions and story implications made finishing the New War a must for me, I agree about the locked in element. I'd still encourage people, even those not enjoying it to try and finish it. That way if Warframe ever interests you in the future, you know you are returning to a state where you can jump in to new stuff or stuff that actually interests you. Sort of like doing a chore first, for fun after. 

Leaving the game, where returning to it, is to something you greatly despise, is almost like giving yourself an out/excuse to never return, which again, thats valid. It is a video game, non one should be forced to play a video game, but can create a self fulfilling prophecy of sorts. May depend on the person though. 

Archived