The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

There should be something akin to Doom's snap map or Halo's Forge Mode.

Custom game modes and custom maps make games last longer. It would also be particularly useful for creating captura scenes, would would admitedly require an overhaul to how scenes work. 

House keeping for unreasonable fellows: Obviously this would have resource caps and other reasonable limitations for those who are going to pretend like that isn't automatically implied. I'm hoping that others are sensible enough to agree. Do not tell me about how much time or skill De has, I don't care and will ignore such comments. 

• Like 3

Before that, we need DE to release an update that is focused entirely on expanding the existing tilesets. Specifically, doubling (or even tripling) the quantity of available tiles that each set has available to it. This would massively increase the variety of potential layouts for missions, and then give map makers a properly robust set of options for their designs.

Some tilesets would need significantly more new tiles added, to put them on par with existing tilesets. For example, the Zariman (aside from it's megarooms) is in desperate need of more hallway and connecting room variety. There's so few actual tiles in the set...

Also, to be clear, I agree with you. A custom map creator would be great. That being said, it would need to give us the ability to create customized mission objectives and stuff within the map, because otherwise there'd be nothing to separate our custom maps from just another randomized layout generated by the game itself.

Edited by Hexerin

10 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

Before that, we need DE to release an update that is focused entirely on expanding the existing tilesets. Specifically, doubling (or even tripling) the quantity.

I'm loving this unreserved approach. It's a rare treat on these negativity biased forums. 

11 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

because otherwise there'd be nothing to separate our custom maps from just another randomized layout generated by the game itself.

Correct

13 minutes ago, (XBOX)Architect Prime said:

I'm loving this unreserved approach. It's a rare treat on these negativity biased forums. 

Correct

I'd hardly even call it unreserved TBH. I don't think anyone can look at the tilesets we have (Infested Ship excepted, of course) and say that DE lacks for talent in map design. Due to the small(ish) scale of individual tiles in the game (Zariman's megarooms excepted, of course), it wouldn't take a map designer much time to create each new tile (we're talking at least one fully completed and fully tested tile per workday, easily).

These two things combined means that they could easily boost every tileset by that scope in a year (Warframe's update cycle, give or take).

Edited by Hexerin

16 minutes ago, nerfinator6 said:

I wish the tilesets worked on an actual grid, I've run missions where the rooms loop back in a circle, with doors on either side where they should connect up, but due to how map generation works, they don't actually connect.

Speaking of, I've been meaning to pay better attention on the ship tilesets to see if they loop in a way to make the windowed tiles magical.

2 hours ago, Hexerin said:

I'd hardly even call it unreserved TBH. I don't think anyone can look at the tilesets we have (Infested Ship excepted, of course) and say that DE lacks for talent in map design. Due to the small(ish) scale of individual tiles in the game (Zariman's megarooms excepted, of course), it wouldn't take a map designer much time to create each new tile (we're talking at least one fully completed and fully tested tile per workday, easily).

These two things combined means that they could easily boost every tileset by that scope in a year (Warframe's update cycle, give or take).

I meant unreserved as a compliment. I also agree with you entirely. 

1 hour ago, nerfinator6 said:

I wish the tilesets worked on an actual grid, I've run missions where the rooms loop back in a circle, with doors on either side where they should connect up, but due to how map generation works, they don't actually connect.

I zoom through so fast that I don't even notice. 

11 minutes ago, Hexerin said:

The hell are you on about?

Pay it no mind. He's clearly fighting the War Within. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, (XBOX)Architect Prime said:

I meant unreserved as a compliment. I also agree with you entirely. 

I zoom through so fast that I don't even notice. 

Pay it no mind. He's clearly fighting the War Within. 

It occurs to me that my brain processed "unreserved" incorrectly in this context. Ah well, at least both sides of the convo know what's up.

At the very least, they should take inspiration from Forge's controls for the Decorate system.

For those not in the know, when you're holding an object in Forge, your controls are centred on the object, and moving the camera causes your view to orbit around it rather than moving the object, which is much better for when you want to check your positioning when making fine adjustments. Right now in Warframe, if you want to check your placement from a different angle, you have to "drop" the object you're adjusting first.

13 minutes ago, Corvid said:

At the very least, they should take inspiration from Forge's controls for the Decorate system.

this^. nobody talks about the decoration system as though it's fine but I've spent god knows how long trying to make stuff I've envisioned in the dojo, only for it to always look trash. 

as for a mode creator, I could've swore DE thought about adding something like that back when they were also on about the "kingpin system" (before it became the Lich System we have now), but it was ultimatley axed. 

5 hours ago, Hexerin said:

Some tilesets would need significantly more new tiles added, to put them on par with existing tilesets. For example, the Zariman (aside from it's megarooms) is in desperate need of more hallway and connecting room variety. There's so few actual tiles in the set...

it's a shame they don't go bak and add more tiles to existing tilesets, because the team they've got does some STUNNING work. did you see the Whispers in the Walls gameplay? because the Deimos lab tileset is the greatest one yet IMO, and already my favourite. they've hit it out the park several times now with Lua, the Murex etc. but this one is NUTS. 

I don't disagree with you but there would still need to be a ton of changes that would need to prelude that sort of thing. In my honest opinion DE has gotten better at designing tile sets. When they actually create from scratch. I love Zariman, Duviri, and hell even the Corpus Proxima but when they try to 'update' on old layouts *cough* NARMER EARTH *cough* things get a little iffy. However the game is still using a ton of old ones that have been in since, forever lol. Reworks are in desperate need. Grineer need an aesthetic buff. More grudge, decay, I want to see duct tape if necessary. 

5 hours ago, nerfinator6 said:

This especially needs to be addressed, but it's also kind of a facet of the larger issue with the tile generator. It's old. This type of thing shouldn't really happen but I myself run into it a bunch of times. I would also say that nearly all the missions don't use the entire level set that is generated. If you ever do medallion hunting you soon realize how massive the levels are when you start to go off the beaten path. It's honestly amazing in its own right, but is also sad on how underutilized it is.

Things need to connect more, tilesets need updates, if missions can't use the whole set maybe it's time to downscale a little bit. This is honestly several chapters in the book of "Things WF Needed to Update Years Ago But Have Been Ignored"

7 hours ago, (XBOX)Architect Prime said:

Custom game modes and custom maps make games last longer. It would also be particularly useful for creating captura scenes, would would admitedly require an overhaul to how scenes work. 

House keeping for unreasonable fellows: Obviously this would have resource caps and other reasonable limitations for those who are going to pretend like that isn't automatically implied. I'm hoping that others are sensible enough to agree. Do not tell me about how much time or skill De has, I don't care and will ignore such comments. 

I loved the Foundry in Star Trek and Neverwinter Online, so yes, much 👍 to this idea. Aslong as it gives us the option to get the same loot yield potential from it as normal missions. In Star Trek and Neverwinter it ended up granting bad loot since it wasnt limited enough in use. So people could in essence make missions that only spawned a single specific mob lined up perfectly for farming. So to counter this xp was gutted and so was the loot. Foundry was more or less the place in Neverwinter to farm basic gems iirc.

However the upside to not limiting the use while instead gutting the xp and loot was that the story potential within these Foundry stories were amazing to say the least. Some community members managed to blow the story of the games out of the water with their own.