Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Caliban in 2023

Waeleto

Since Caliban got released he was kinda of a joke in fact there is a common joke in the community that if you talk about caliban someone will reply "who's caliban" but i come today not to joke about him but to say how much abyss of dagath patch and the shield changes improved caliban, having finally invested some forma and shards in him and built him for shield tanking and regen i can say that caliban is finally more than viable, he never had issues dealing damage because of his 2 and 4 his issues were mainly survivability and thanks to the buffs to shields combined with his 3 and a taxon (optional) he is SO MUCH BETTER
If you have caliban you might wanna give him a try this patch 

• Like 7

An excuse to use Taxon?

Caliban? I helminthed him after he was released. Maybe I should give him another try… thinking of making an all rounder build. 
Edit: Anyone try nourish in negative efficiency Caliban? Tool energy hungry?

Edited by Malikili
Question
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Malikili said:

Edit: Anyone try nourish in negative efficiency Caliban? Tool energy hungry?

Hi, one of the few Caliban mains here.

I run Nourish over his 1. Even with that, sometimes energy can be spotty, so I also bring Arcane Energize. I've never needed something that caused negative efficiency, but I can only assume running out of energy would become common place. 

I am also still praying he gets reworked soon while maintaining his Sentient identity. (PSSST.... Pablo...make an augment that turns us into a Typholyst. Those things haven't been seen since New War!)

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Dr.Tursko said:

I run Nourish over his 1. Even with that, sometimes energy can be spotty, so I also bring Arcane Energize. I've never needed something that caused negative efficiency, but I can only assume running out of energy would become common place. 

I am also still praying he gets reworked soon while maintaining his Sentient identity. (PSSST.... Pablo...make an augment that turns us into a Typholyst. Those things haven't been seen since New War!)

what are your hopes as 1 of 3 Caliban mains worldwide, if Caliban were to be the next one on the rework list?

• Like 2

hace 6 minutos, ReddyDisco dijo:

The forgettable frame, nothing he does that other frames can't do better.

I liked him when he came out because he was the only one who had an AoE armor AND shield strip...then unairu gave that to everyone...then styanax came out...and then there was the general armor strip buff...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Skoomaseller said:

I've said before but it feels like Caliban's development was like... an afterthought. Like he's just there to fill up the Narmer Bounty reward tables.

Not only this, but I think the big reason why he's always been overlooked was due to him being released with TNW; the most overhyped patch in at least recent history for the game.

Apart from the minor issue of his first ability being as meh as most first abilities for frames and his passive being a wimpy version of a universal mod, I think Caliban actually does well enough.  His two is a nice CC that I think can stack with armor reduction, his three is a decent flank maneuver to throw enemies off, and his four is still a solid armor stripping option.

In the meantime, I'm still looking at Inaros for the next frame to be reworked.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Waeleto said:

he never had issues dealing damage because of his 2 and 4 his issues were mainly survivability and thanks to the buffs to shields combined with his 3 and a taxon (optional) he is SO MUCH BETTER

For me he's slightly better now...but I never felt his problem was survivability in the first place.  (I don't play him in long endurance though. YMMV.)  For me it was much more a combination of annoying mechanics and bugs in three of his abilities, one horrific ability, and bad energy consumption.   The last two things have been fixable by replacing his 1 with Nourish, but all the irksome aspects are still there.

Fortunately he's was born handsome.  Happy Ryan Gosling GIF by Bombay Softwares

• Like 1

If DE would have held to their word of tweaking Caliban after release, this wouldn't even be a thread topic.

IMO Caliban needs 3 things to be good.  Not decent, but good:

1.  All 3 Sentients need to spawn in a single cast with Improved A.I.

2.  Razor Gyre.  Either remove it, or have it's damage scale dramatically.   This ability is quickly becoming Undertow/Sandstorm levels of meme.

3.  Get off the pot with his passive.  Right now it leaves his defenses in an extremely awkward position,  as you it doesn't stack with or replace Adaptation.   

Edited by (XBOX)zThulsaDoomz
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Waeleto said:

I wouldn't go as far as saying he's the new hydroid when yareli exists

Honestly I'd have Yarelli above em. But that's also not saying much as they're standing side by side.

I mean sometimes I legitimately forget Caliban exists. The New War update could have had no warframe tied to it and it would still be a good update. 

3 hours ago, Dr.Tursko said:

Just tried it. Went full duration full strength 124% range

Negative efficiency. Amazing he can shield tank like no tomorrow, not to mention the sentients having synergy with Nourish by spewing viral. Might have to rethink my original thoughts on Caliban. Put more love into him and all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, (XBOX)zThulsaDoomz said:

1.  All 3 Sentients need to spawn in a single cast with Improved A.I.

2.  Razor Gyre.  Either remove it, or have it's damage scale dramatically.   This ability is quickly becoming Undertow/Sandstorm levels of meme.

3.  Get off the pot with his passive.  Right now it leaves his defenses in an extremely awkward position,  as you it doesn't stack with or replace Adaptation.   

I mained caliban for the first 6 months, and didn't know much at the time but had him in SP circuit this morning. It was enjoyable.

Passive should affect caliban as well. Built in adaptation. Bot aure if it does, says allies. Not "caliban and allies".

Sentient Wrath is good but I think the shockwave should deal a bit of electrical or magnetic damage (sentient theme) plus the normal impact. Enemies should not be lifted. Any survivors they should be thrown and stunned for a few seconds and lose their weapons and have to pick them up.

Razor Gyre is garbage yes. Needs something else. I don't like abilities that don't let you play. caliban spins like Revenant's #4. Terrible ability. Still considering subsuming over that. In Circuit I razor gyred sitting on top of an enemy and just sat there for like 10 seconds. Switched out and used the heat dagger to kill it with two hits lol. Useless ability.

Lethal Progeny is ok. Though the conculyst don't do a lot of damage. Might be a poor man's DA at best. Secondly you might be punished by calibans rank in SP Circuit?

Fusion Strike is ok but, it's directional and if the ground is uneven you're not getting much out of it. Circuit was difficult getting armor strip due to the uneven terrain. Would be better if it was TAP for directional at 150% normal strength due to it being concentrated and HOLD for radial 360 degrees at 100% strength

• Like 1

3 hours ago, (XBOX)Player244024418 said:

Passive should affect caliban as well. Built in adaptation. Bot aure if it does, says allies. Not "caliban and allies".

The passive applies to Caliban as well. 

3 hours ago, (XBOX)Player244024418 said:

Nourish? Why not Hildryn Pillage for shields and armor?

Nourish addresses what for me is his biggest weakness: energy economy.  It also provides viral procs and some incidental CC, and these benefits apply to his minions which makes them much more worthwhile.  So it's not the only way to go, of course, but it does combine several useful things in one package.

I'm never replacing anything but Razor Gyre on Caliban, so Pillage is redundant with the shield regen function of his 3 and the defense stripping of his 4. I'd appreciate its status cleanse, but I do have Rolling Guard for that, and would probably want to keep it on even with Pillage.  So no slot freed up.

Pillage absolutely would work on him of course, because like Nourish it's an extremely powerful Helminth option, redundancies or not.

hace 10 horas, Waeleto dijo:

I wouldn't go as far as saying he's the new hydroid when yareli exists

Apart from the complicated mobility of the k drive, what's wrong with yareli? I haven't seen a single complaint regarding his other 3 abilities and his passive.

If reworking is based on its use, Nyx or Banshee could be next.

• Like 1