Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How would the Warframe community feel about the wiki migrating away from Fandom?

(PSN)Unstar

I've checked the site on mobile with no ad blocker, there's only one pop up for me in that one instance, there are ads, but they're never in the middle of information, always at the end of a section, I don't find it outrageous, they need to make money somehow. I've also checked the site on desktop without ad blocker, I find it even worse than the mobile site, the site was laggy until I turn the ad blocker back on.

That being said, as long as the info is there, and is easy to gather, I'm fine wherever.

1 hour ago, (PSN)FirmBizkit said:

Not necessarily. There’s a load of information and guides on the forums that they aren’t liable for its accuracy m. It would just be passing off the hosting and formatting to the first party. It wouldn’t really be much different than the forum in that sense.

"Not necessarily" sure, but DE already shows through their published drop chances that it's still dataminers forcing their hand on transparency every once in a while. DE hosting a wiki is mostly community work, but it being their platform means they are to a degree responsible.

People browse the internet on their phones? Without adblock? How do you even survive that?

Constantly getting bombarded with trash ads that seem designed to hypnotize you rather than actually advertise anything makes me feel really unpleasant and disgusted, it's one of the reasons I can't watch Twitch streams.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Flannoit said:

heavy example being Baldur's Gate 3 where they blatantly flooded EVERY SINGLE PAGE with DnD 5e information including stuff that isn't even in the game and a vast majority of it wasn't even accurate for BG3 as well.

Imagine if BG3 enforced Attunement Slots. 

Jerry Seinfeld GIF

• Like 1

13 hours ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

The Minecraft and Terraria wikis (including terraria calamity mod) also moved from fandom to wiki gg, and from what I've heard from Phoenix MC (a Minecraft YouTuber), the change was seriously beneficial to the Minecraft wiki.

and looking at wiki.gg they are actively eager for games to migrate - even having options to import.

Ultimately there is no reason to even ask, there can be multiple wikis for WF and players can go look at whichever one they prefer. Competition rules here, and there's no barrier to entry.

It would be better if DE managed it, and Atlassian appear to want that, but its not essential.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Traumtulpe said:

People browse the internet on their phones? Without adblock? How do you even survive that?

Constantly getting bombarded with trash ads that seem designed to hypnotize you rather than actually advertise anything makes me feel really unpleasant and disgusted, it's one of the reasons I can't watch Twitch streams.

In my case I'm largely immune to the actual content of such ads, couldn't tell you what any one of them is regarding.

However they are very definitely there and often in the way.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

Wiki is Unusable in current state

even with adblock plus on

the bad scripting all over fandom crashes my browser

I run uBlock Origin, and it blocks ads on the wiki.

It will even block YouTube's new adblock detection script they use to detect when you are running an adblocker.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, (PSN)FirmBizkit said:

The issue with something like this is it’s a mostly pointless endeavour. It’s like when we all switched from cable to streaming. It was cheaper, you watched what you wanted when you wanted, there were no ads. Now it’s expensive as hell, there’s ads and it’s basically the same thing as cable was. It will just shift the profits from one entity to another and will eventually follow the same path.

Really these compendiums of information should be hosted on first party platforms.

I disagree with saying this is pointless and your argument (saying that maybe one day the new wikis will be bad, like streaming) is a slippery slope fallacy.
Fandom is unusable on mobile now, it's filled with ads and it's slow (even on desktop).
Fandom is very aggressive with their monetization and it comes before the communities themselves, as that video demonstrates.
If you cared to check the new wikis vs old fandom ones, you'd see even the ads are better placed and less intrusive, and in some cases like Wiki.gg they are curated unlike fandom's.

As for the last point you're correct, games are mostly objective, stuff on wikipedia can be opinionated but where to find weapons in warframe are fixed and so like you said having it first party is optimal.
However, just cause there isn't an official wiki doesn't mean it's better to have none. There are other options than fandom, it is a lot of work undoubtedly but it shouldn't be dismised.

• Like 2

Warframe pretty much needs a Wiki up and running, and being constantly being maintained by its players. However I do not personally contribute to that, so my opinion is just merely what it is. 

If the good playerbase tending and upkeeping the wiki think a new and better fandom would be worth it, I'd be all up for it. We all have something to win from it. 

I have also seen the increasing complaints about the ads, which thankfully I don't notice due to using mostly my pc to search the wiki and having an adblock. But it's  still a very valid concern.

I guess the biggest downside would be migrating all those years of knowledge to the new database, and making it the primary search option for more casual players unaware of the change up and its reasons.

22 hours ago, (PSN)FirmBizkit said:

The issue with something like this is it’s a mostly pointless endeavour. It’s like when we all switched from cable to streaming. It was cheaper, you watched what you wanted when you wanted, there were no ads. Now it’s expensive as hell, there’s ads and it’s basically the same thing as cable was. It will just shift the profits from one entity to another and will eventually follow the same path.

Really these compendiums of information should be hosted on first party platforms.

This.  The issue is the internet itself, and the companies that aren't satisfied with just "good" profit margins, but demand every last drop of blood from the stone possible.  I can't even watch the video OP posted because I run an adblocker, and YT cracked down on those.  I'm not watching hours of commercials idgaf about in order to watch things on YT.  Eventually the whole internet is going to be subscription based, with them expecting you to pay for internet, and pay to access any and every website, and they're still going to have ads on them.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rehhouari said:

I disagree with saying this is pointless and your argument (saying that maybe one day the new wikis will be bad, like streaming) is a slippery slope fallacy.
Fandom is unusable on mobile now, it's filled with ads and it's slow (even on desktop).
Fandom is very aggressive with their monetization and it comes before the communities themselves, as that video demonstrates.
If you cared to check the new wikis vs old fandom ones, you'd see even the ads are better placed and less intrusive, and in some cases like Wiki.gg they are curated unlike fandom's.

As for the last point you're correct, games are mostly objective, stuff on wikipedia can be opinionated but where to find weapons in warframe are fixed and so like you said having it first party is optimal.
However, just cause there isn't an official wiki doesn't mean it's better to have none. There are other options than fandom, it is a lot of work undoubtedly but it shouldn't be dismised.

I’m not saying it’s pointless I’m just saying it’s a lot of effort for a likely non permanent solution and It’s not really a slippery slope fallacy though. It’s capitalism. You don’t just see this with streaming vs cable you see it with every new platform or tech and advertising permeating it. Look at the clothes you wear, the products you buy. Walk outside of your house and you’ll probably see at least 100 different forms of advertising in your immediate vicinity

If there is a medium to put advertising to get you to buy crap you don’t want or need it will have advertising and if one of these platforms becomes big and doesn’t want to “be like the rest” they’ll just get bought up and merged into the same thing. Happens all the time. 

Call me a cynic but it’s a monumental amount of effort to undertake to move to a new platform when the likelihood of the exact same problem arising again in 5-10 years is very high.

Edited by (PSN)FirmBizkit

5 hours ago, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

Eventually the whole internet is going to be subscription based, with them expecting you to pay for internet, and pay to access any and every website, and they're still going to have ads on them.  

I hear Microsoft is seriouslyt consideing making Windows 12 a subscription model. They alreayd shifted Office to such, so it isn't out the realms of possibility. Then you'll have to pay a sub to see ads in order to see ads on the apps you use to see the stuff you want to see.