The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What makes Iron Skin stronger, armor or strength?

1 hour ago, LascarCapable said:

It's both.

What a way to miss the question, they're asking which has more effect than the other

On topic, I don't know the answer, but you can simply try it in the simulacrum, equip a bunch of armor mods, see the result, then do the same for strength, & compare

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, -Krism- said:

What a way to miss the question, they're asking which has more effect than the other

On topic, I don't know the answer, but you can simply try it in the simulacrum, equip a bunch of armor mods, see the result, then do the same for strength, & compare

Because it is both. One makes the other more effective. But for myself I would go pure strength so his other abilities also benefit. 

• Like 2

On 2024-03-09 at 7:46 PM, asdf3011 said:

Because it is both. One makes the other more effective.

I know both affect it, I said that, that doesn't change the fact that it wasn't the question OP asked

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hierarch777 said:

I'm unsure which stat increases the amount of Overguard more, power strength or armor mods?

Unfortunately, the genuine answer is "it depends".  This is because you want to strike an appropriate balance between the amount of Power Strength and Armor you are stacking.  Too much of one and too little of the other will result in a lower amount of Overguard compared to what you could have obtained if they were better balanced.  Let's demonstrate by engaging in that most beloved of pastimes: doing math!

The original equation for the amount of Overguard provided by Iron Skin is a bit hard to fit into a person's brain all at once...

Overguard = (1200 + (2.5 × Armor)) × AbilityStrength + AbsorbedDamage*

...so let's break it down so that it's easier to see what's going on in the upcoming examples:

Overguard = ArmorStuff x StrengthStuff + AbsorbedDamage

ArmorStuff = 1200 + (2.5 × Armor)

StrengthStuff = AbilityStrength

Let's try a few different examples with Rhino Prime, who has a base armor of 290.

So let's stack 3 armor mods — Steel Fiber, Armored Agility, and Jugulus Carapace:

Armor = 290 x (1 + 1.00 + 0.40 + 0.55) = 855.5

ArmorStuff = 1200 + (2.5 × 855.5) = 3338.75

StrengthStuff = 1

Overguard = 3338.75 x 1 = 3338.75

Now let's stack 3 strength mods — Intensify, Transient Fortitude, and Augur Secrets:

Armor = 290

ArmorStuff = 1200 + (2.5 × 290) = 1925

StrengthStuff = 1 + 0.30 + 0.55 + 0.24 = 2.09

Overguard = 2.09 x 1925 = 4023.25

So maybe this means Strength is better?  Let's check if this is true by doing 1 armor mod and 2 strength mods — Steel Fiber, Intensify, and Augur Secrets:

Armor = 290 x (1 + 1.00) = 580

ArmorStuff = 1200 + (2.5 × 580) = 2650

StrengthStuff = 1 + 0.30 + 0.24 = 1.54

Overguard = 1.54 x 2650 = 4081

What's this?  We removed our strongest Ability Strength mod and replaced it with an Armor mod, and now we're getting better results?

Exactly.  Neither Ability Strength nor Armor is more important than the other; it's all about finding the optimal balance between the two.  Hopefully these examples help demonstrate that.

Edited by UnstarPrime
*I find the equation listed on the wiki to be misleading in its terminology; because of that I have simplified it, which makes it easier to grok. I've double-checked it with the wiki's examples and it provides the same results.
  • Like 4

On 2024-03-09 at 6:15 PM, taiiat said:

if you have to pick one or the other, it'll generally be Strength since Strength Multiplies on the Armor you already have and you start with more than 0 Armor.

This is the correct answer.

On 2024-03-09 at 7:50 PM, -Krism- said:

I know both affect it, I said that, that doesn't change the fact that it wasn't the question OP asked

Calm down, man.

• Like 2

Spinach, silver beet and red meat for iron and strength. Wholemeal pasta and dried fruits for iron and armour. Having friends or family roast you for thicker skin. If no friends or family, just surviving is pretty significant, skin probably pretty tough already. 

... I may have misinterpreted the question. 

• Like 3

On 2024-03-09 at 1:56 PM, (PSN)GEN-Son_17 said:

For even more insanity, try Parasitic Armor and boost your shields. Power strength greatly affects both abilities and easily sets you up for 6-7 digit overguard. 

Ferb, I know what we’re gonna do today!

On 2024-03-10 at 8:53 AM, -Krism- said:

Stelle-Smug.png

Smug Stelle is best Stelle

• Like 1

On 2024-03-10 at 5:25 AM, (PSN)slightconfuzzled said:

Spinach, silver beet and red meat for iron and strength. Wholemeal pasta and dried fruits for iron and armour. Having friends or family roast you for thicker skin. If no friends or family, just surviving is pretty significant, skin probably pretty tough already. 

... I may have misinterpreted the question. 

Nope, that answer is pure perfection. 

• Like 2