The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Make Alecaframe something co-official of the game.

Selks

Hi there. I've been a casual Warframe player for over 11 years now. I go back and forth to the game from time to time, but it never disappears from my Steam library. I've always used excel spreadsheets to keep track of my warframe and weapon collection. This is my main fun in the game, being a completionist.

I recently discovered Alecaframe. I was instantly blown away. But it didn't last long, when I started seeing comments from users saying that you could be banned for using it. After watching numerous videos and forum threads about alecaframe, I still have no confidence in using it on my account.

Yes, I also read this official post: https://support.warframe.com/hc/en-us/articles/360030014351-Third-Party-Software-and-You

I just want to use Alecaframe to keep track of my entire collection much more easily and know which pieces I'm missing. The market and relic functions it has also interest me. Maybe this way I'll focus more on making that content and enjoy the game much more.

I'll continue using my excel sheet for now. But I'd like Digital Extremes, a company that has always been 100% integrated with the community, to let us know first-hand that this tool is safe to use. I'd like them to collaborate with Alecaframe to ensure that all the updates that Alecaframe receives are respectful of the terms of use and conditions of the game. And so we, the players, can rest easy and enjoy Warframe even more.

Thank you.

Edited by Selks
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Selks said:

Hi there. I've been a casual Warframe player for over 11 years now. I go back and forth to the game from time to time, but it never disappears from my Steam library. I've always used excel spreadsheets to keep track of my warframe and weapon collection. This is my main fun in the game, being a completionist.

I recently discovered Alecaframe. I was instantly blown away. But it didn't last long, when I started seeing comments from users saying that you could be banned for using it. After watching numerous videos and forum threads about alecaframe, I still have no confidence in using it on my account.

Yes, I also read this official post: https://support.warframe.com/hc/en-us/articles/360030014351-Third-Party-Software-and-You

I just want to use Alecaframe to keep track of my entire collection much more easily and know which pieces I'm missing. The market and relic functions it has also interest me. Maybe this way I'll focus more on making that content and enjoy the game much more.

I'll continue using my excel sheet for now. But I'd like Digital Extremes, a company that has always been 100% integrated with the community, to let us know first-hand that this tool is safe to use. I'd like them to collaborate with Alecaframe to ensure that all the updates that Alecaframe receives are respectful of the terms of use and conditions of the game. And so we, the players, can rest easy and enjoy Warframe even more.

Thank you.

There's absolutely no indication whatsoever that this Third Party Software is safe to use. It could very well be an innocent project from a fan/ from fans, or it could include a hidden way to steal data.

Convenience is not a great excuse to take such a high risk. I'd suggest sticking to your Excel Sheet and waiting to see if the App Makers ever attempt to have it hosted on better Stores than Overwolf.

Edited by (PSN)MYKK678
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Selks said:

This is my main fun in the game, being a completionist.

2 hours ago, Selks said:

keep track of my entire collection much more easily and know which pieces I'm missing.

If it's gear (weapons, frames) then your profile/equipment (especially 'progress' sorted) should be good. I'm not sure if it show all hidden weapons (that you don't own).

• Like 1

hace 3 horas, Circle_of_Psi dijo:

lol no

Thank you for your invaluable help

hace 3 horas, (PSN)MYKK678 dijo:

There's absolutely no indication whatsoever that this Third Party Software is safe to use. It could very well be an innocent project from a fan/ from fans, or it could include a hidden way to steal data.

Convenience is not a great excuse to take such a high risk. I'd suggest sticking to your Excel Sheet and waiting to see if the App Makers ever attempt to have it hosted on better Stores than Overwolf.

Digital Extremes says on that link I put: 

"We would like to make it clear that our involvement with Overwolf is simply that we’ve had conversations to ensure that Warframe’s EULA and ToS are not being breached in any way."

With these words I assume that Overwolf does not allow anything to be published under its name that violates what it has already agreed upon with Digital Extremes.

Warframe has a companion app, think of this as an official collaboration between Warframe (Digital Extremes) and Alecaframe, maybe removing Overwolf from the mix. They can give one developer the way to have this convenience without risking anything. Even just hire him as a freelance or pay for the work done. And including that work in the companion app.

hace 3 horas, Waeleto dijo:

This will never happen.

Any arguments why?

hace 2 horas, quxier dijo:

If it's gear (weapons, frames) then your profile/equipment (especially 'progress' sorted) should be good. I'm not sure if it show all hidden weapons (that you don't own).

Yes, it is, this is how I create my excel sheet. But it doesn't always show ALL the items. I don't know why, but some are hidden. Besides, Alecraframe offers a much more intuitive interface with more information.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Selks said:

Any arguments why?

No need for arguments, It's shady and DE said MULTIPLE times "use it at your own risk" and i'm pretty sure it edits files or something like that.

They're not going to deem third party programs completely safe to use, if anything shady happens then people just end up with a get out of jail free card since the fault would be on DE for allowing the tool to be used and not the player that bumped into an exploit of some kind

• Like 1

DE would have to take ownership of the program or more likely just make their own. As there's absolutely no reason for DE to approve the use of a 3rd party app that they have no actual control over.

Simply because it's a huge safety risk if someone actually working on it decides to start being malicious. Either with stealing data, using it to harm/tamper with the users computer, or something else that violates the TOS. And since DE has zero control over its actual development and usage it'll remain in the "use at your own risk" category.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selks said:

Digital Extremes says on that link I put: 

"We would like to make it clear that our involvement with Overwolf is simply that we’ve had conversations to ensure that Warframe’s EULA and ToS are not being breached in any way."

With these words I assume that Overwolf does not allow anything to be published under its name that violates what it has already agreed upon with Digital Extremes.

Warframe has a companion app, think of this as an official collaboration between Warframe (Digital Extremes) and Alecaframe, maybe removing Overwolf from the mix. They can give one developer the way to have this convenience without risking anything. Even just hire him as a freelance or pay for the work done. And including that work in the companion 

That quote from DE is a bog-standard "we have nothing to do with this, we've asked them to comply with rules, use at your own risk" statement. A legal requirement for DE to have present to distance themselves from the app and from the store hosting it in case it ends up being a scam or doing something unethical or that doesn't fall in line with DEs vision.

It has absolutely nothing to do with how safe or unsafe it is. They're completely seperate in every conceivable way. I'm not saying the app is 100% confirmed to be bad or malicious or will steal data, but it is an unknown entity. Either way this request is pointless. It's up to whoever developed the app to get in contact with DE directly to arrange anything like this. Because DE would almost certainly need access to the apps code and other areas to verify its not malicious before even considering anything. Something neither you nor anyone here is capable of. Something the app creator may have already gone through and declined or failed.

Just to let you know that whatever was being "communicated" between DE and alecaframe, they can only make sure it did not violate any ToS as of the date and time of communication.

Being a third party software means that, for whatever reason, if they update the program and it subsequently violates ToS, the 2035 risk is on you.

Maybe it is a program error. Maybe someone acquired alecaframe and changed it for malicious intend. Maybe someone found an exploit in the program and injected something into it. No one knows. Not even DE knows. We can only wish you the best of luck.

• Like 4

I also want to use it after 11 years but i dont want to risk my account not even 0.1 percent.

That being said I understand there is no way anabody gets banned for it (it would be EPICly BAD for community and game) tons of ppl use it old and new 

But i would love DE to do something about it. 

• 1 month later...

I have been with this game since day one. I don't see how alecaframe goes against any ToS or EULA. The only way is it could be defined as a cheat because it does give a huge advantage over the market and trades. It would be great if DE put it so you would know what you needed to do to move forward (get a higher mr or get to that quest). As any player knows playing warframe in no way is the game very clear cut on what you need to do. Alecaframe has been the answer to some of this.

The other issue as we know some players don't have real money to drop on plat. So making the market more available to players would be great (Lets be honest the trade chat in warframe is garbage). So I haven't figured out why DE hasn't made a warframe market on their website or in the game. If they did this some of the stuff that creates a bad experience for some players would be gone because everyone would more readily go to a place like warframe market.

On 2024-08-19 at 4:21 AM, Selks said:

But I'd like Digital Extremes, a company that has always been 100% integrated with the community, to let us know first-hand that this tool is safe to use.

I don't think they actually know that the app is safe to use, so making a statement like that would be disingenuous. The specific section about Overwolf still expresses uncertainty, as the app could be changed to do something bad at any time.

Your excel sheet is likely more useful anyway. I know mine is. I just read through the entire feature list of Alecaframe and thought "lol I can already do this." It is definitely not worth risking the ban.

4 hours ago, boonaker said:

I have been with this game since day one. I don't see how alecaframe goes against any ToS or EULA. The only way is it could be defined as a cheat because it does give a huge advantage over the market and trades. It would be great if DE put it so you would know what you needed to do to move forward (get a higher mr or get to that quest). As any player knows playing warframe in no way is the game very clear cut on what you need to do. Alecaframe has been the answer to some of this.

The other issue as we know some players don't have real money to drop on plat. So making the market more available to players would be great (Lets be honest the trade chat in warframe is garbage). So I haven't figured out why DE hasn't made a warframe market on their website or in the game. If they did this some of the stuff that creates a bad experience for some players would be gone because everyone would more readily go to a place like warframe market.

The issue with 3rd party tools isn't exactly a ToS or EULA issue. But one of uncertainty as, at any point, a bad actor that works on the project could make the program malicious. Or DE could, also at any point, simply change their terms to disallow them as a protective measure.

And neither are out of the question as possibilities. DE used to turn a blind eye to datamining until players used it to leak the script of The Sacrifice long before release and players started injecting code into the game to cheat and reveal Umbra early. From that point on DE adopted a strict no datamining policy. So the moment any 3rd party tool becomes a problem for DE they may just blanked ban all such programs.

So I understand the desire behind why people would want this. It would be very convenient, and access to a really helpful tool, thats great, but not if it seems like it comes with risks right? So wanting some sort of way to have the very helpful, convenient, useful tool, have some sort of official recognition and endorsement so people can have peace of mind, security of mind, and the benefit of not having to stress, have anxiety, or just feel like they are risking years and years of progress, collections, items, money, time... That of course makes sense. 

Just that we also have to try and understand it from DE's perspective, as a business, and all that entails as far as legal issues, bad faith actors, players, and potential issues. As in whats the worst that can happen, what happens if or when stuff goes wrong, and so on. Which is also why they are separate from Warframe Market as well. 

To put it another way, if they haven't, there is probably good reason why they haven't. Desire and knowledge are also separate. Nothing wrong with asking or requesting that they do, but worth remembering that an inability to consider or understand why they don't, may be an issue with such interactions too. Sometimes the best way to understand isn't for someone else to try to convince you, but by learning about the nature of risk/risk assessments, as best as you can. Which again, can be an exercise in frustration. Ideally, in this world, a lot of cool, convenient and useful exchanges and interactions could be happening, but they often don't because of reasons which are important and or governed by systems and structures larger than individuals or small groups hence... 

Basically the risk is put on you, so then becomes a matter of how much you personally trust various other third parties, and what they offer. I can see why Alecaframe would be quite appealing to people. In my experiences, a decent amount of people do use it, risks and all. I personally also like having lists of my own making, and I do't like risks so I wouldn't personally use Alecaframe, but thats just me. That being said if I knew a friend who really disliked all the management of items involved with the game, and Alecaframe looked really appealing and convenient to them, and i thought they had good communication skills, I might tell them to at least look up and research it and see if its worth the relative risks involved. Just to emphasis that risks often are that way (trading large amounts of Platinum can be risky for example, but those risks can also be minimised too, so can the damage potentially too).