Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

That New Corpus Speech...

Otakuwolf

"Leave no Corpus functioning" kind of gives the impression of not human.

Edit: Drathin beat me to it *bows head in shame*

We've seen Corpus without helmet in certain dioramas way before Alad V received a 3d model. They look very human.

The "leave no corpus functioning" line copes with both, organic and robotic Corpus units. After all, your own body also "functions" on it's own.

Now, since this topic landed in the sound department now, and since I don't want to repeat everything I said because I already wrote a topic before this one, let me do what I absolutely dislike doing... self-ads;

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/190921-corpus-crewman-1240-horrible/

Edited by Khunvyel

IMHO

Needs a bit more robotic distortion >.<

Really doesn't suit them where it is now.

But aren't they supposed to be human and not robotic? Right now they sound like robots, not that different from their MOAs.

Honestly, they should sound human. Like humans speaking over radio.

Edited by AntoineFlemming

I did like the "heavyness" of the old style, really made them sound cold calculating and vicious, but i also appreciate that they sound like they're actually talking with words now instead of going "bwub bwub bwub bwub" into a metal fan.

But aren't they supposed to be human and not robotic? Right now they sound like robots, not that different from their MOAs.

Honestly, they should sound human. Like humans speaking over radio.

They sound like goblins screaming inside a cereal box.

I think the mask affects how they speak. For example: frohd bek speaks to us without his helmet on. Sounds like he has asthma.

Each helm has some sort of breathing apparatus attached to it. I would think that adds more layers to the voice.

Plus... Sci-fi robot voices *-*

I like the new voices ok.  They sound a lot like Frod Bhek when he talks to you.  He sounded kinda low and growly and like he had real difficulty with english.  These new corpus sounds reflect that.  So it makes sense.  I figure that was DE's plan all along.  However, I really liked the hilarious chicken men sounds.  They will be missed.

RIP Chicken Men!

Pardon me? Frohd Bek sounds nowhere near that. He sounded like having almost no voice and doing all strained whispering. It doesn't remotely make sense therefor. Nothing remotely close to low and growling. To refresh your memory, take another listen;

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Frohd_Bek

In the Darvo event his voice sounded more like close to breaking at certain lines, which would be a state of great distress and anger. This again stands in no comparison to the constant guttural and harsh style the new Corpus speak in.

I don't know why, but they vaguely remind me of these guys:

My only complaint is that they sound a bit too "inhuman". With the old sounds at least it seemed kind of sensible since their voices would probably be muffled by their helmets (and we also knew they were placeholders). With these voices they sound like some kind of evil mutant zombies when they should've sounded more like normal humans since that's all they really are: just regular working people. Maybe some electronic/muffled noises for when they still have their helmets on, but otherwise they should've sounded more like "Average Joes".

The Corpus Capture Target was a good example of how they should've sounded..

I don't know why, but they vaguely remind me of these guys:

My only complaint is that they sound a bit too "inhuman". With the old sounds at least it seemed kind of sensible since their voices would probably be muffled by their helmets (and we also knew they were placeholders). With these voices they sound like some kind of evil mutant zombies when they should've sounded more like normal humans since that's all they really are: just regular working people. Maybe some electronic/muffled noises for when they still have their helmets on, but otherwise they should've sounded more like "Average Joes".

The Corpus Capture Target was a good example of how they should've sounded..

Thats what I was trying to base my vote on, the corpus that already have dialog, like Alad V, or the capture targets also the voices actually sound lighter (not as deep) than the one that won the votes I think and maybe thats why people don't like it

....But they are human. You blow off their helmets and they have human faces; so why would you have them sound more robotic when they are not robots? "Leave no Corpus functioning" could be a two parter for Lotus. The Corpus use a lot of robots and functioning can still refer to a human 'Oh no, my heart is not functioning right with a bullet in it'.

True, but the key word was "impression"

I know that you can pop off their helmets and they have faces but, Data from Star Trek NG has human face as well, and he's still robotic.  

As for the bosses speaking english, I agree with previous posts that they would have to know more than one language to be effective.

After being subjected to hours of Lilo & Stich, Corpus speech reminds me of the alien language Stich uses.  -.-

If Corpus Crewman would be robots in human form, then they would not react as carefully as they currently do on the battlefield and rather be as shock-trooping forward like their robotic MOA companions. To pick your example of Data, he put himself into danger more than often enough simply saying "I'll go, I can take it, I am expendable."

Furthermore, no Corpus has been revealed to have cybernetic augmentations of any sort, and neither does any bit of Lore state this as well. The collar of Alad V is, when looked closely upon, really just a collar and not implanted anywhere. Even if they have augmentations installed, they are likely to be a lot more subtle

Ah well, so much Lore to reveal, so much depth to discover.

If Corpus Crewman would be robots in human form, then they would not react as carefully as they currently do on the battlefield and rather be as shock-trooping forward like their robotic MOA companions. To pick your example of Data, he put himself into danger more than often enough simply saying "I'll go, I can take it, I am expendable."

Furthermore, no Corpus has been revealed to have cybernetic augmentations of any sort, and neither does any bit of Lore state this as well. The collar of Alad V is, when looked closely upon, really just a collar and not implanted anywhere. Even if they have augmentations installed, they are likely to be a lot more subtle

Ah well, so much Lore to reveal, so much depth to discover.

It would depend on their AI.  Humanoid robots would probably be far more expensive to create than your standard MOA, so they would have better strategic processes.  

The difference between Data's behavior and the Corpus (If they are robots) would be that they have the MOA's to send in first and Data only had himself.  The reason I used him as a reference was because he is a robot and humanoid, my intention wasn't to compare respective behaviors. 

But at this point it's more of a lore issue and would need DE clarifying what the Corpus are.  

Edited by Noamuth

They could make them sound closer to the Combine.

Right now, they are just making monosilabic noises, unlike  beings capable of communicating. Considering these are humanoid, they should sound like having something to say, be it garbled. The previous voices sounded better to me, because they resembled to something articulated.

The current ones are unarticuleted choke sounds, which makes them comical, and absolutely not scary. If the commical feel was what it was aimed for with this change, I understand, but it does not match with the lore, at all, as far as my personal opinions go.

This voice, garbled as it is, sounds articulated, asertive and sinister.

Edited by HansJurgen

I didn't hear the other options that were voted on, so I don't know if this was one of them, but: while I like the idea of Corpus as cybernetic Francophones, I think they could be maybe a little less monotonic/buzzy and more melodic, like a subtle autotune-like vocoder sound maybe.

Basically I want them to be Daft Punk.

But at this point it's more of a lore issue and would need DE clarifying what the Corpus are.  

Yup. But we might discuss more about the Corpus manner, because I'm still not convinced at all that they are in any way shape or form robotic or greatly cybernetically enhanced. Not only the visuals are unfitting - but this can be easily camouflaged, as you said - but also the style, the feel and the rest of the Lore we know about them just doesn't feel right.

If you want I can try to form words about this matter, but nevertheless on topic;

Let us go grill the next Devstream question topic once it is up and flood it with "dubble-you-tea-eff Corpus voice? Why?"

I didn't hear the other options that were voted on, so I don't know if this was one of them, but: while I like the idea of Corpus as cybernetic Francophones, I think they could be maybe a little less monotonic/buzzy and more melodic, like a subtle autotune-like vocoder sound maybe.

Polling how something should sound is a bad choice from the get go? How many of the playerbase actually check the forums (typically it is less than 5%), and how many would be aware of the poll, to begin with? 10% of that 5% isn't very encouraging.

Furthermore, what choices are in that poll. Having three options of three awful sounding voices isn't really about having an option.

The voices may have sounded ok by themselves, but within the game envirnoment they also have to fit. Just having a good sound to them does not mean that will fit in the game envirnoment or add any value to it. I do not know about others, but chocke like yelps and silly groans sure don't impress me.

Lastly, but more importantly, polls can be gamed. Since there's so few voting on them, one group rallying their clan mates and friends is enough to have their way on things.

And it is not rocket science to realize that whatever pleases the few never pleased the many. Hence, the bad feedback.

Developers usually do not take community feedback on artistic choices and for a good reason. The hardcore fans are not representative for the playerbase as a whole, and they support the developer regardless of the choices they make, as long as those changes are explained and make sense.

I do not understand why DE wants to reinvent the wheel and discover the hard way that listening too much to a minority of their playerbase won't do any good to the game. It will deliver a game of parts some people wanted and don't fit together, and will likely displease everyone. A mish mash of mismatching elements does not make the game look or sound better, it only makes it look silly and unfocused.

Dedication to a game adds nothing to it from the artistic point of view. It is the designer's job to figure out how to add elements to preserve the design unity and to pick the best choices in visuals and sounds. We, as gamers have no idea either way and should learn to be more restrained about our -typically- wild and equally clueless feedback.

Edited by HansJurgen

Most of them were more or less different pitches and levels of distortion/gravellyness on what you hear now. 

This is actually one of the more melodic ones. The other one was just even more tinny sounding. This is probably as close as they could get to being Daft Punk. 

We, as gamers have no idea either way and should learn to be more restrained about our -typically- wild and equally clueless feedback.

I mostly agreed with you until that part. This is a generalization too broad to be left standing.

First, as far as I know, the voting was done internally by the design council. This is a group of players which interface a bit more closely with the developers, through founders access back in the days. So this is even a smaller part of the actual forum community.

While you are right, that feedback should not be happening on such a narrow level and broadened further into the face of the player while sitting in the lobby, you have to understand that not every voice is equal. That is right, I said it. There are a multitude of voices, and as a developer you have to sift through the bullcrap opinions of people who want everything for free plus many metric tons of content. Unrealistic, thus. They also need to sift through the bullcrap opinions of whining babies and those who want things far too hard to be comprehensible because they need to fulfil some sort of self-imposed entitlement.

On top of that - and this is also raw truth - many people simply don't CARE enough. Else the games would have a lot higher activity counter in third-party services of the company.

That is why you will never get quality feedback if you take the majority of players into account, as long as the developers don't get proper feedback schematics done. There are a few rules for rock-solid and meaningful feedback reports, and I have seen perhaps half a handful of companies capable of pulling this off during the last 15 years of observing this issue.

And this is what brings me back to my original statement when I started this post;

Of these few people going to the forums, there are again even fewer who try to mash their brain and come up with useful, reasonable, possible and practical ideas in their free time.

Are there others like that out in the open who do not care about the forums? Yes.

Are there a LOT more than that who don't care, or fall in other categories detrimental to the forthcoming of a game? oh yes.

Would that tip the balance even more in favor of a bad direction when the game gets too driven by all this pile of feedback? You bet.

Yes, the developers of a live-game like this are somewhat tied to the community and dependant on them - because if the community gets pissed hard enough, they leave, and the game dies. Granted, sometimes catering to the masses is tempting so you can continue to work. It just doesn't help your reputation as a company. Money doesn't stink. They way you earn it though... might very much stink.

Yes, the community needs to get a hold of themselves sometimes and stop having their heads in the clouds and think twice about their - often - singleminded point of view.

Yes, it would greatly help if we would get a useful, robust and meaningful way to streamline our feedback.

Yes, it would benefit everyone if we as a community step up our game, so DE can step up their game in turn - trust goes a long way. I can see great collaboration going on with the Developers in the future, even more than we have know. But this requires work, effort, trust and moreso; guts.

I'd wish I could start the movement towards this.

I was going to tell them to use ALL of the voices, like they did with the infested ancient sound poll, they used each sound for a different type of ancient. They should have used a different sound for corpus techs and a different sound for prod crewman. It's annoying when they all sound the same. 

"Design council" seems like a pretty stupid idea, like something to come out of a PR department or something... Sounds like a focus group, actually -.- "Oh yes, instead of surveying/aggregating information from the players in general, guys, guys, I know, we should just pick a tiny little group and that will somehow magically reflect the wider views of everyone!"

How many of the playerbase actually check the forums (typically it is less than 5%

< .. snip .. >

Developers usually do not take community feedback on artistic choices and for a good reason. The hardcore fans are not representative for the playerbase as a whole

This is an even bigger point, even if you take account the whole forums it's still not representative cos a lot of people don't really bother checking forums much :) And as we can see with the tethra's doom event thing people use multiple accounts and hacking if there's anything that comes close to a scoreboard or polls so the best way would be to pick actual ingame accounts at random by a computer to vote on a poll or something like that, and maybe also random "if you participate on a discussion on our forum also, we'll give you Xplatinum for your contribution", kind of like how some internet surveys pay people for feedback etc *shrug*

This is all way offtopic from the discussion about speech which obviously is such a minor thing, but this "design council" that was brought up, just... Really stupid idea.

(Obviously open polls are a really bad idea because it's just rick astley for #1 music act (google it) and people like 4chan/"warbros" would just alternateaccount/hack/exploit to get the result they want like with the Tethra's Doom event)

Edited by dethkittin

• 2 weeks later...

I actually have two things to say here:

1) It must have been a frenchspeaking guy doing these voices, right? There's one line in particular, a quite long one, of which the last word sounds so much like "bouvier". Doesn't that sentence the more it reaches towards the end sound like it was done by a frenchspeaking guy? After all, Canada is partly French, no?

2) The guy who voices Frohd Bek, doesn't he sound quite a bit like the Ninja, Gray Fox, from the first Metal Gear Solid game?