Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Use Melee When I Can Just One Hit Them With My 6 Forma Op Gun?

kadu864

Example: Quote from a melee 2.0 topic

"Don't get me wrong guys...the combo system looks fan-fkn-tastical....but I still don't see any reason to beat stuff up when I can just shoot/blast/1-4 the crap out of it."

I see a lot of people crying about melee 2.0 using  "why use melee when i can just kill them with one bullet from my gun" type of reasoning.

1) Games are made for players to have FUN(weird right? i though it was for me to be/feel like im better than everyone else </sarcasm>). If some players have fun killing enemies with their cool new melee combos, then melee 2.0 will already have served it's purpose. Min/Max'ers can cry rivers, it won't matter.

2) Fire weapons were made specifically for the purpose of being better, stronger, faster and safer(from the shooter's point of view "kill from far away, don't expose yourself") when compared with melee weapons that were available at the time. Why would you ever expect a melee weapon to be more efficient than your gun?

"I don't need it to be MORE effective, i just want it to be as effective as my gun"  please see # 3

3) If you expect/want your melee weapon to one hit enemies just like your guns do, please think about this:

- What is the purpose of having a combo mechanic implemented if you will be one hitting enemies rather than combo'ing (hitting an enemy with multiple attacks)?

Just my two cents about all the crying going around.

And if you're going up to that enemy and combo'ing him like a "baus" and someone from 30m away kills him with their Soma, thus ending your combo counter, how will you feel then?

Fact is, melee has more risk and takes more time to set up, even if it did instagib.  Gun users can kill from a range with minimal risk.  That's why melee needs something special about it (like regening energy).

Edited by Volt_Cruelerz

They're making melee more viable towards higher lvl enemies and to give it a more ninja feel. Sure 1 shotting everything with your gun is better but some people want to use only melee and melee 2.0 will allow that.

I still stand by the point that they will need to work on their dodge and maneuver mechanics to make melee fully great. So far it seems it will still stay a pain to switch form one enemy to the next while keeping your combo, unlike games like Ninja Gaiden, Batman Arkham series, etc. However, at least it looks WAY better than what we have now (hurray for no more mindless charge attacks).

I will wait to test it out first before making further feedbacks on that obviously, but it's quite clear that those maneuvers need a lot of work to be in synergy with combo systems.

Edited by Casardis

I saw this thread thinking it was going to be one of the threads you mention, people crying about melee 2.0

Was going to come and basically say what this thread says.

I agree with what you have to say completely.

It's fun to have in game. Stop whining about it.

Well, imagine if there's a stance mod that gives heavy melee weapons a combo that ends with AOE slam that is like an Ogris explosion, except no risk of self damage and no need for ammo. And with proper mods this combo also heal you/makes you invulnerable for 5 seconds. Then the answer will be "because Galatine 5-hit combo does the same as 6-forma ogris, except it makes me invulnerable for a moment and can't backfire".

Also, Melee-only game mode can be a thing, like a mission in Grineer explosives production facility, where all enemies are melee and you can only use melee.

And if you're going up to that enemy and combo'ing him like a "baus" and someone from 30m away kills him with their Soma, thus ending your combo counter, how will you feel then?

From playing with the current melee a bit of late, I don't think that will be too much of a problem once you've come to grips with the enemy.  Most mobs we face currently go down pretty easy.  One big exception to that though: Grineer heavies.  They combine high effective health, higher damage dealing potential, and CC in one complete package.  But for the rest, if you pick your mods right, chop-chop.

The problem will though in that coming to grips bit.  You both start 30m away and the guy with the Soma will drop that target before you can close.

If you want to melee on a team with ranged types, you're going to need to be speedy and aggressive.

I see a lot of people crying about melee 2.0 using  "why use melee when i can just kill them with one bullet from my gun" type of reasoning.

Let me get this straight.

Your point is...you'd rather not have melee be equally viable as gunplay?

You want melee to simply be a less effective way to kill? What are you arguing for, exactly?

Let me get this straight.

Your point is...you'd rather not have melee be equally viable as gunplay?

You want melee to simply be a less effective way to kill? What are you arguing for, exactly?

He's arguing that if melee is an effective way to kill and people find it fun, it doesn't necessarily matter if guns are more effective.  To a certain degree, he's right.  It's no different than using a gun you particularly enjoy on some content.  It might be a weaker gun than the heavy hitter you bust out for endless modes, but it gets the job done.

Of course, on the other hand, if others wipe the floor with everything so fast you don't get to have your fun...  Or if you can't have that fun in certain modes, then there's definitely still balancing that needs to be done.

1) Games are made for players to have FUN(weird right? i though it was for me to be/feel like im better than everyone else </sarcasm>). If some players have fun killing enemies with their cool new melee combos, then melee 2.0 will already have served it's purpose. Min/Max'ers can cry rivers, it won't matter.

Allow me to now find you and kill your fun while chasing you around and wielding a Boltor Prime.

You'd probably cry a river about my min/maxing and how you should be able to /kick me just for playing by you.

2) Fire weapons were made specifically for the purpose of being better, stronger, faster and safer(from the shooter's point of view "kill from far away, don't expose yourself") when compared with melee weapons that were available at the time. Why would you ever expect a melee weapon to be more efficient than your gun?

"I don't need it to be MORE effective, i just want it to be as effective as my gun"  please see # 3

3) If you expect/want your melee weapon to one hit enemies just like your guns do, please think about this:
 - What is the purpose of having a combo mechanic implemented if you will be one hitting enemies rather than combo'ing (hitting an enemy with multiple attacks)?

Lets use real life arguments to justify videogame logic!  That'll solve the problem, right?

Genius...we're playing space ninjas that defy almost all known laws of physics.  Go back to Call of Duty and cry about how it isn't realistic enough.