Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Don't We Get Rid Of Melee Mode All Together?

SirGhosty

Or maybe we should get rid of weapons in general?  And while you're at it get rid of enemies too.  Sorry friend what you are asking is just a preposterous as the latter.  Why would DE get rid of something they put good time into making for people to enjoy?  Just because there are issues with something doesn't mean you should get rid of it.  No you should iron it out and make it work better so that there is more to enjoy. : ) (smiley to show I am not yelling at anyone)

Have you never seen of the threads complaining about the fact that PC has a fuckton of exclusives that PS4 doesn't have? They would be furious is that happened.

That's what they get for buying and playing on an inferior system.  No one forced them too, so tough beans for them.  

This would be perfectly reasonable, after all an inferior platform should never hold back a superior one.

This x1000 unfortunately pretty much ALL game designers don't understand, or don't care about that.  So many great games(Skyrim is the biggest offender) are shadows of what they could have been, because the devs and designers have designed them to be optimized on consoles that became outdated YEARS ago, instead of PCs that even as of a few years ago, were still way beyond capabilities of these newer consoles.

If the devs started working on "PC exclusives" and took full advantage of the graphics power of the PC along with the control scheme of the keyboard, then a lot of games would be a S#&$ ton better then what they are now.  

If improvements can be made to the PC version then they should be done even if they can't do it with the PS4.  That's what you get for playing on the inferior system.

You should at least be able to switch to melee mode while in the middle of quick meleeing.  Your melee weapon is already out so unless there's some sort of coding problem or something like that I don't see why not.

"nope, sorry I can't unsheathe my melee weapon right now because I'm too busy unsheathing my melee weapon, using it, and then sheathing it again."

Instead of holding F for a century and a half while also praying to every god imaginable that the current game you are in doesn't lag and actually prolong said switch from gun to melee mode while you are holding the F key, how about we just double tap the F key and it just switches?

Or how about, we just press F and it switches.

Why in the hell do we have to make a commitment to holding the F key and get married to it and have 17 kids with the thing before it decides to work with you?

I don't even USE melee mode much because it's really obtuse and terrible and there is literally nothing I can't do in that mode I can't just do with mashing E while having my guns available as well, but I will back up the dumb people who only use melee in that the switching between the two is infact, unforgivably godawful and slow and it gets worse when you're on an iffy server because the host lives on Neptune.

Instead of holding F for a century and a half while also praying to every god imaginable that the current game you are in doesn't lag and actually prolong said switch from gun to melee mode while you are holding the F key, how about we just double tap the F key and it just switches?

Or how about, we just press F and it switches.

Why in the hell do we have to make a commitment to holding the F key and get married to it and have 17 kids with the thing before it decides to work with you?

I don't even USE melee mode much because it's really obtuse and terrible and there is literally nothing I can't do in that mode I can't just do with mashing E while having my guns available as well, but I will back up the dumb people who only use melee in that the switching between the two is infact, unforgivably godawful and slow and it gets worse when you're on an iffy server because the host lives on Neptune.

There's a separate key you can bind for equipping melee.

Conflicting key bindings is one reason.

Considering I've never played any MMO like WoW or something ridiculous like that, I still happen to think that Warframe takes the cake in the worst keymapping in the shooter-genre in gaming history.

I've played a ton of shooter, action, adventure and rpg games in first/third person manner as well as a mix of all of those features, but Warframe still has the worst default configuration. xD

It merely begins with the fact that DE decided to put ability-switching on the mouse-wheel rather than switching weapons. In my opinion that opened the can of worms for why it is so crippled as we happen to find it today. Any common sense shooter, even the most simplistic ones that only allow you to carry a limited amount of weapons use the mouse-wheel to switch between weapons. Any common sense RPG that has more than one ability uses the num-keys 1-9 and be done with it and no special ability-switch system on-top of that, which is useless and confusing anyways because you'd have to remember or look which ability is selected currently to not do something wrong.

If that major f*ck up (can't call it anything less) wouldn't block the default key bindings most people have adapted to by now and DE would have used the mouse-wheel for weapon switching instead by default back the day they released the game than they would have been able to include the melee-mode in the switching cycle much more easily without the use of an extra keyboard shortcut.

The way it is now it is crippled to use and I don't use it because I'm mad about how influent Melee 2.0 feels in combination with gunplay. It's much more like a bandaid patched upon an already faulty system. No wonder that it doesn't perform well.

I've put weapon switch on my mouse-wheel already, but that helps me only with switching between rifles and sidearms. Still would need mousewheel-click or something to switch to melee and back to guns... just a waste of keys just to switch between 3 damn weapon types. It's just an abomination of bad input-design.

TL;DR:

If I'd be in charge I'd redesign the input methods to one of the two following:

Mouse wheel: switches between Rifles, Sidearms and Melee-mode

Left mouse button: shoots when in gun mode, melee while in Melee-mode

Right Mouse button: zooms in when in gun mode, blocks while in melee-mode

Quick Fire/Melee button: When in gunmode -> quickmelee, when in melee-mode -> quick shot with sidearm

OR

Left mouse button: shoots when in gun mode, quick shot while in melee mode

Melee button: melee when in melee mode, quick melee when in gun mode.

Maybe implement both and let players decide with an option.

At the same time i'd bring back the old charge system so that if you hold down the melee button it charges up the strike. I'm not in favor of the melee-channel thing because it wastes warframe energy and doesn't deliver anyways. No waste of keys for melee-channel.

And after that I'd kill timed combos and make it so that a specific combination of the 3 main buttons (Left/right mouse, Quick-button) would trigger different combos... so you could for example melee and when pressing quick-shot while melee'ing it would put in a spectacular combo of shooting your gun at ranged targets while melee'ing close ranged. That would finally solve the friggin problem that Melee still isn't a reliable long range method.

The only thing I haven't covered are the stances, but I'd probably leave them in the game... as aesthetic alternates to the default combos or giving different combos a damage buff and make them therefore more lethal than the default combo. Nonetheless all combos would be available from the start without stance, only the amount of damage for a certain combo would increase with a certain stance equipped.

Why DE never thought of this is beyond my comprehension.

Edited by MeduSalem

I just sit back and laugh as the console holds back their precious PC!!!!!!! Maha hahaha!!! Who wants pie?

It won't, not until Sony gets rid of the cert process. I hope that pie of yours is big, 'cause you will always be waiting longer than us PC users.

Now switch the roles. It's easy to condem those with less than oneself.

Well, he is right. There is no reason to hold back one system because others can't keep up. It's not as if improving the PC control scheme is going to make the console controls any worse. 

We don't hold back entire grades because one student fails. 

Edited by LukeAura

It won't, not until Sony gets rid of the cert process. I hope that pie of yours is big, 'cause you will always be waiting longer than us PC users.

Lol it doesn't bother me. I just prefer consoles. Everybody has their own preferences. Neither PC or console gaming is going anywhere any time soon so we might as well get used to each other.

@beas7ie.

PC only accounted for 14% of Skyrim sales so that is probably why they didn't ignore consoles.

Somehow I had to think about Full Metal Jacket now. The scene where Sergeant Hartman punishes the whole platoon because of Pyle stealing the jelly-donut from the kitchen.

Edited by MeduSalem

Well, he is right. There is no reason to hold back one system because others can't keep up. It's not as if improving the PC control scheme is going to make the console controls any worse. 

Yeah, but we don't give the other students different conditions to succeed.

You know I have no problem conceding graphical and processing power to PC but I think you are confusing personal preference of controls to actual superiority. I don't think controller is better than Keyboard and mouse, I just prefer it. Also it seems a decent number of people now PC game using a controller so you would also have to take them into consideration when you are adjusting any control scheme.

Considering I've never played any MMO like WoW or something ridiculous like that, I still happen to think that Warframe takes the cake in the worst keymapping in the shooter-genre in gaming history.

I've played a ton of shooter, action, adventure and rpg games in first/third person manner as well as a mix of all of those features, but Warframe still has the worst default configuration. xD

It merely begins with the fact that DE decided to put ability-switching on the mouse-wheel rather than switching weapons. In my opinion that opened the can of worms for why it is so crippled as we happen to find it today. Any common sense shooter, even the most simplistic ones that only allow you to carry a limited amount of weapons use the mouse-wheel to switch between weapons. Any common sense RPG that has more than one ability uses the num-keys 1-9 and be done with it and no special ability-switch system on-top of that, which is useless and confusing anyways because you'd have to remember or look which ability is selected currently to not do something wrong.

If that major f*ck up (can't call it anything less) wouldn't block the default key bindings most people have adapted to by now and DE would have used the mouse-wheel for weapon switching instead by default back the day they released the game than they would have been able to include the melee-mode in the switching cycle much more easily without the use of an extra keyboard shortcut.

The way it is now it is crippled to use and I don't use it because I'm mad about how influent Melee 2.0 feels in combination with gunplay. It's much more like a bandaid patched upon an already faulty system. No wonder that it doesn't perform well.

I've put weapon switch on my mouse-wheel already, but that helps me only with switching between rifles and sidearms. Still would need mousewheel-click or something to switch to melee and back to guns... just a waste of keys just to switch between 3 damn weapon types. It's just an abomination of bad input-design.

TL;DR:

If I'd be in charge I'd redesign the input methods to one of the two following:

Left mouse button: shoots when in gun mode, melee while in Melee-mode

Quick Fire/Melee button: When in gunmode -> quickmelee, when in melee-mode -> quick shot with sidearm

OR

Left mouse button: shoots when in gun mode, quick shot while in melee mode

Melee button: melee when in melee mode, quick melee when in gun mode.

Maybe implement both and let players decide with an option.

At the same time i'd bring back the old charge system so that if you hold down the melee button it charges up the strike. I'm not in favor of the melee-channel thing because it wastes warframe energy and doesn't deliver anyways. No waste of keys for melee-channel.

And after that I'd kill timed combos and make it so that a specific combination of the 3 main buttons (Left/right mouse, Quick-button) would trigger different combos... so you could for example melee and when pressing quick-shot while melee'ing it would put in a spectacular combo of shooting your gun at ranged targets while melee'ing close ranged. That would finally solve the friggin problem that Melee still isn't a reliable long range method.

The only thing I haven't covered are the stances, but I'd probably leave them in the game... as aesthetic alternates to the default combos or giving different combos a damage buff and make them therefore more lethal than the default combo. Nonetheless all combos would be available from the start without stance, only the amount of damage for a certain combo would increase with a certain stance equipped.

Why DE never thought of this is beyond my comprehension.

I'm glad you aren't in charge then...

I'm glad you aren't in charge then...

Well nobody has to share my opinion on things. But I don't favor Melee 2.0 the way it is now because of reasons stated. If you like it as it is now, good for you. I'll keep on using my guns over Melee because my brain refuses to adapt to crappy/crippled inputs.

Well nobody has to share my opinion on things. But I don't favor Melee 2.0 the way it is now because of reasons stated. If you like it as it is now, good for you. I'll keep on using my guns over Melee because my brain refuses to adapt to crappy/crippled inputs.

Crappy/Crippled inputs? I disagree.