Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

If The Braton Is A Corpus Rifle...

Issxi

...Why does it have a Prime version?

Maybe the normal Braton and MK1 version should be an actual Tenno designed weapon instead of a corpus one. Unless lore specifies the Lotus bought the Braton from the Corpus for her troops.

Does this bother anyone else?

The written lore has never tied Braton to the corpus. That's an assumption drawn from the corpus script on the model, but that could simply be a remnant from an early design idea. Obviously corpus weaponry has undergone many changes, just look at the snipetron. I wouldn't be surprised if officially, Braton *was* a Tenno weapon.

There are a few other flew Braton is tied to corpus, being it's presence in the energy lab and it's inclusion in the shock camo pack, but noting has ever been stated. So no, it doesn't bother me, since it's just another lore hole.

Edited by AM-Bunny

I'm going out on a fragile limb here:

Ever noticed how corpus are piercing damage, which is strong vs. grineer? And that they drop the Grineer damage faction mods?

The concept of reverse-engineering technology to use against your enemy comes to mind here. The first thing that comes to mind is Metroid Prime where the space pirates took Samus' weapon design and used it to reject any beam weapon that they weren't specifically weak to. The Braton being a rather old weapon by this point surely had its designs scattered around by this point, allowing any faction to produce their own superior variant.

I thought this was about the Latron Wraith because it's the only gun I can keep on my mind right now. Oops. o3o

Edited by DiosGX

I always assumed the Corpus mass produced their version of the Braton, from having reverse engineered the Orokin Braton, due to its simplicity and then selling them to third party groups with needs for firearms, like security, police, and even us Tenno, and since we don't build it, it's not in the Tenno style.

Something I do want is a skin we could craft to make in the Tenno style. That would be awesome.

^

Pretty much this.

The Braton Prime is the Orokin archetype. The Mk1 is a corpus reverse engineered version--bought by the Lotus to arm the new Tenno suddenly flooding the ranks. The Braton itself is just a refined version of the Mk1 (what the corpus sell commercially). The Vandal is a special edition of the Braton commissioned by the Lotus as a reward for Tenno that served above and beyond.

Plenty of parallels in actual weapons. It's convoluted, but not unheard of.

The Mk1 is a corpus reverse engineered version--bought by the Lotus to arm the new Tenno suddenly flooding the ranks.

It makes you wonder if the Corpus KNOW they are supplying weapons to the Tenno or not. The fact that the Braton has a foundry mark from a Corpus manufacturer kind of torpedoes the idea that Lotus stole the design and we're home-brewing them on our nano forges. So is Lotus buying them openly from the Corpus, in which case, which of the Corpus is willing to do this when we turn around and slaughter their people by the millions on a daily basis? Profit may numb the feeling, but I'm thinking their Corpus-buddies might get sick of this pretty quickly.  Alternatively, is this all done on the black market so that the Corpus arms manufacturer doesn't even know where all those thousands of pieces are going, turning a blind eye to the fact that the Braton is the Tenno's standard issue rifle...

It makes you wonder if the Corpus KNOW they are supplying weapons to the Tenno or not. The fact that the Braton has a foundry mark from a Corpus manufacturer kind of torpedoes the idea that Lotus stole the design and we're home-brewing them on our nano forges. So is Lotus buying them openly from the Corpus, in which case, which of the Corpus is willing to do this when we turn around and slaughter their people by the millions on a daily basis? Profit may numb the feeling, but I'm thinking their Corpus-buddies might get sick of this pretty quickly.  Alternatively, is this all done on the black market so that the Corpus arms manufacturer doesn't even know where all those thousands of pieces are going, turning a blind eye to the fact that the Braton is the Tenno's standard issue rifle...

Darvo already pays us a lot, even Frohd Bek at one time.

Enemies on the field most of the time but that doesn't mean we can't be allies during certain situation.

In fact Darvo gives us A LOT of rewards.

It is the same thing for invasions and infestation.

But generally infestation is more of "a greater good" thing since everyone turning into nano zombies is a bad idea.

Edited by fatpig84

Corpus will sell to whoever pays them, profit numbs the feeling, after all. Don't forget they also sell technology to the Grineer, which certainly are a bigger threat to them than the Tenno...

The Corpus faction also is rather more divided internally than the Grineer so it doesn't really seem all that weird that some of them would be quite willing to sell weapons to Tenno.

ok got it...then what about Vandal? (Corpus modification?)

We don't know. Though here are two likely candidates.

1. Black market corpus modifications. The Corpus are a big organization with a lot of power struggles and shady deals going on. So it's likely many of their arms manufactors are willing to sell goods not meant for export* to third parties for a price. Likewise some of their weapon creators might produce master crafted versions without asking too many questions. So chances are Vandals are special versions ordered by the Lotus herself as broker or someone who wants to pay the Tenno off. Hence the Lotus symbol.

2. Tenno modification. The Lotus symbol might indicate that the Vandals are weapons modified by Tenno craftsman themself. According to Leech Krill's mission there are Tenno colonies. Likewise the rescue targets hint at civilians workings for the Lotus or Tenno. Among them could be weapon smiths who could create special versions of some common weapons if they get more rare materials.

Alternatively, is this all done on the black market so that the Corpus arms manufacturer doesn't even know where all those thousands of pieces are going, turning a blind eye to the fact that the Braton is the Tenno's standard issue rifle...

This is pretty much the most likely scenario.

The Corpus appear to be both highly corrupt and profit oriented. So anything which the Leaders at large doesn't object is fair game. Which includes selling weapons to potential enemies of the Corpus. "We can just collect them and sell them again!" Might be their logic.

Also we don't know how many other side factions in the solar system use the Braton. It might be one of their main exports, so Tenno wielding them might not even supprise them, since everyone wields them. For the Corpus this might even a plus, since they could label them as:

"Bratons. Even the Tenno wield them."

So suddently every stupid resistance fighter thinks he can win against the Corpus using one, buys one and gets shots to bits by first moas they encounter.

As for what Mk-1 variants are. I think they are cheap replicas made by a third party, never meant for actual combat. Like airsoft weapons or heavy calibre pistol replica which fires .22LR (for those who want to look cool on the shooting range).

Basicly someone scavenged damaged Tenno weapons and replicated their appearance to sell them to Tenno fans across the solar system. Like the fan concept of Derf Anyo who wielded Skana replicas to look cool.

Perhaps that's also how they found their way into the Tutorial. Someone tried to sell replicas to a fan near a genuine Tenno ruin. Only the fan turned out to be Vor who had followed the trader to find the location where the damaged originals had been found.

I don't see how the Bratons could be anything BUT intended-for-export weapons.  The corpus don't use any bullet shooting weapons whatsoever.  They probably think it's too low-tech and beneath them.

Wouldn't be the first time in history that someone has exported 'low end' weapons to sell and those said 'low end' weapons would up causing all KINDS of problems for the ones who sold them.

The corpus are in it for the money. People want weapons; they'll sell them weapons. In this case, it's--relatively--a low tech copy of an ancient weapon lost to time they can sell cheaply in great numbers to people looking for bargains, for whatever reason.

The corpus are committed to energy weapons. The Dera and Supra are their go-to small arms for equipping the troops. This is fine for them. After all, those are energy weapons and they're not fighting the Sentients (yet).

There are plenty of parallels in modern small arms. The US adopts the M16 (don't get me started...) and then has surplus M1s, M1 carbines, and M14s they can sell cheaply to allies or whomever needs them.