Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

You Should Not Categorize The Factions As "good" Or "evil"

Draconzis

So, recently there was a thing from some of the Devs that had a basic description about each factions. (I will post it here if I can go through the trouble) It was nice and all, except that it categorized the Tenno as good, the Corpus as Neutral, and the Grineer as the bad guys. Now, I know this is probably a thing about there overall actions and motives, such as the Tenno wishing to bring balance to the the systems, the Corpus mainly out for profit and not necessarily anything evil (Although their way of action to achieve said profit is sometimes bad), and the Grineer is bad because it is trying to take over the system and kill all that oppose them. I hope this is just a broad statement and not what they are going by. Like, a bad guy is a good thing to have, but don't over do it and make all Grineer these puppy kicking, baby seal eating bad guys. Also, don't make the Tenno almost like angles, but armed to the teeth. Have there be some controversy in their actions, such as Lotus having to make a tough decision that is apparently an evil thing to do, but necessary so worse things do not happen.

All I'm saying is try not to paint the factions black and white.

Well...

Infested= VERY Bad

Grineer= Bad

Corpus= Not-Quite-As-Bad but still scummy. Lousy stinking brainwashers...

I wouldn't categorize any but the Grineer as evil. As in: They do evil for the sake of doing it. Because they like doing it. It makes them feel strong and powerful.

Infested are just what they are.

Corpus are focused on survival. Not JUST doing evil for it's own sake.

That said? I do my missions. I strike and vanish. I do not feel for my enemies. They never see their deaths coming.

Well...

Infested= VERY Bad

Grineer= Bad

Corpus= Not-Quite-As-Bad but still scummy. Lousy stinking brainwashers...

I wouldn't categorize any but the Grineer as evil. As in: They do evil for the sake of doing it. Because they like doing it. It makes them feel strong and powerful.

Essentially this.

Infested, while a threat and definitely not good, merely do what they do because it is in their nature. It's as natural as breathing.

Corpus, while definitely ethically questionable and greedy, do what they do because it's a bit of Genre Savvyness. They gotta survive, and they're willing to go to lengths to do so.

Grineer, on the other hand, do what they do because they want to, and because they can. Not only do they subjugate and enslave and at times attempt to commit atrocities upon the other factions, they genuinely believe that what they are doing is good, but only believe this because they think they are superior. Essentially, Grineer = "We're right, you're wrong. You either support us or we kill you."

Well, the Grineer had to create the clone army to fight the infestation, the Corpus are making a profit, and the Tenno are mutalating both factions because the "ends justify the means." On the other hand, the Grineer destroy everything in their path, the Corpus probably enslave colonies, and the Tenno are trying to save the general population we never see. All in all, there is no bad guys or good guys... except the infested, they are bad in every way.

So, recently there was a thing from some of the Devs that had a basic description about each factions. (I will post it here if I can go through the trouble) It was nice and all, except that it categorized the Tenno as good, the Corpus as Neutral, and the Grineer as the bad guys.

I think you mistoke the purpose of that summary.

That was a design direction for the artist. Basicly how they should envision the factions when designing new elements for them.

The game makes it clear that the Corpus are as "evil" in their methods and goals as the Grineer are, they are just on the different end of the spectrum displaying it, but the artist are tasked not to directly design them to look that way.

That's why they are labeled "neutral".

Grineer have designs which fit the obvious evil types of factions across fiction, from the Orcs of Lord of the Rings to the Empire from Star Wars. That's why they have "evil" in their design concept.

The Corpus meanwhile show elements from various factions across fiction. They have as much in common with the utopic New Chicago from Bucker Rogers In The 25Th Century to the ruthless Mega Corps in various cyberpunk stories. This mix means they don't evoke evil the moment you see their aesthetic, but more futuristic in the "everything is chrome" kind of future.

Tenno, angelic?

We turn every ship into a slaughterhouse. That's not very angelic at all.

The irony is that angels in the bible are not very angelic by the modern defintion either.

Edited by Othergrunty

7UvpBcT.jpg

I'm not sure if DE is ever going to attempt to expand the lore through mission dialog other than when you fight bosses or ever use any of their own ideas in order to create mission types... but this older dialog suggests the corpus pluck people from their colonies away from their families to become part of their cult.

The grineer also seem to have some semblance of a culture and are not all mindless war machines. They have a governing body and varied cloning.

I wish DE would use this older stuff 

7UvpBcT.jpg

I'm not sure if DE is ever going to attempt to expand the lore through mission dialog other than when you fight bosses or ever use any of their own ideas in order to create mission types... but this older dialog suggests the corpus pluck people from their colonies away from their families to become part of their cult.

The grineer also seem to have some semblance of a culture and are not all mindless war machines. They have a governing body and varied cloning.

Where did you find this? Hopefully some of it will be introduced in quests.

I hope someone else reads about Fat Vor (Q1E3). I demand that boss. "Tipping the scale at over 1700 pounds... Vor became a spokeswoman for a line of Grineer body augmentations for the morbidly obese."

FactionSummary.jpg

Oh yea, brainwashing their own employees and throwing them as cannon fodder against potential profit is great thing, also they instantly pull them back without any regard for their safety as soon as they lose more they can potentially earn(see gravidus).

Surely a role model of "neutral guys".

"Role" part of this image got really nothing to do with current design.

Everyone in warframe is bad.

Grineer and corpus race against each other in "whose worse" competition.

Tenno and stalker are closest to neutral.

And infestation cant be considered as good or evil, animals arent evil even if they kill ppl, you simply eliminate them as they pose threat.

Edited by Davoodoo

Where did you find this? Hopefully some of it will be introduced in quests.

I hope someone else reads about Fat Vor (Q1E3). I demand that boss. "Tipping the scale at over 1700 pounds... Vor became a spokeswoman for a line of Grineer body augmentations for the morbidly obese."

Well It was a series of texts datamined from the game itself.

I dunno where one would go to suggest greater lore integration. Not many people ask for it and this image seems to show a former and now lacking interest from the devs in the lore. To be cynical, I don't think its something that will ever be brought to the devs unless it gets into the community hot topics thread.

I dunno where one would go to suggest greater lore integration. Not many people ask for it and this image seems to show a former and now lacking interest from the devs in the lore. To be cynical, I don't think its something that will ever be brought to the devs unless it gets into the community hot topics thread.

The impression I got from reading it was that the devs are good at coming up with characters and well fleshed out plot events but they keep failing when they try to come up with the basic plot skeleton to tie it all together

or to use a different analogy they keep trying to add frosting to the cake before they bake it.

No idea what you're talking about, loads of people ask for more lore. And the devs are definitely aware of it, as they've talked about it in several devstreams.

The problem is the plot of warframe is player-driven, so they can't just write a story like they would a with a singleplayer game. All the lore has to be in the form of worldbuilding that the players can interact with, which is more complicated to write.

*pics*

Some time ago Steve showed alpha footage in one of the devstreams. They talked about the battle deck system they had back then. From what i saw, the concept was that instead of a star chart, missions were selected from a collection of dossiers.

This meant that the introduction to each mission was written down in this selection screen.

EDIT: Ha found it. Starts at 4.16 minutes. November 2013... god how time flies by doesn't it?

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/127033-thank-you-for-watching-livestream-17/

I would guess that many of the text bits in that image are from said dossiers.

It also seems that DE's story for Warframe during alpha stage was a lot more straight forward instead of trying to invoke "mystery" everywhere.

So instead of just hearing "Yo Tenno! The corpus build this proxy. Wreck it!" from the Lotus in a self explaining style, you had this dossier containing informations about the world together with the mission information.

A bit of telling you lots of stuff instead of showing. Now however we have them telling and showing us very little, because for some reason they refuse to just slap a little collection of lore entries in the codex explaining the bare bone about the world of Warframe.

Yes it's not an ideal concept either, but at least it would be the first place to actualy learn things, like that there are civilians to protect or neutral colonies.

Perhaps they just like leaving everything open so they can rewrite it easier.

Edited by Othergrunty

Killing wild and neutral to us dogs to steal their babies to train them to eat humah flesh. "Ninjas", that hold not war weapons anymore, but portable torture devices. Make aliance with someone to help them fight their enemie and 5 minutes later slaughter those who asked for help. Killing and stealing for some more resources. ... Yes, we are definitely good guys.

To look at the motives behind the Grineer in another light: The Grineer are keepers of the peace, not tyrants.  They have very strict security protocols to keep people safe and the bad guys in check.  They see the Tenno as mass murdering killing machines (really, everyone does.)  Basically, terrorists of the worst degree.  The Red Veil aren't very cooperative either.

The punishments for breaking these security protocols are generally extremely severe however.

I think the Corpus in contrast represent freedom - in the capitalist way.

The Tenno attempt to keep the balance between capitalist freedom, and tyrannical security.  

The infestation is just corruption and chaos.

Edited by Littleman88