Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Excalibur And You: A Guide To Upcoming Changes

DE_Adam

Radial Blind constantly blinding enemies through walls and around corners was not only unintentional, but it was also kind of strange.  It didn’t really fit with what we wanted Excalibur to be about, which is why we’ve taken the time to look at his retinue of abilities.  It’s not about making one power less fun to play, but making Excalibur a more well-rounded experience overall.  As discussed in Devstream 38, here’s where Excalibur’s abilities are currently heading:

Since you brought it up, i'm wondering what exactly do you guys actualy want Excalibur to be about, themetically speaking?

I mean based on artwork (<- Guns / Sword->) and the badass statue you released recently. Excalibur's theme is a mixture between Samurai and Gunslinger. Which kind of sums up the Tenno themselves, as masters of guns and melee weapons.

However all his abilities in terms of visuals are more related to the former (actualy they are closer to chinese wuxia swordsman but let's not got into that discussion) while the gunslinging aspect is ignored.

Or did i got that wrong and he is supposed to be a pure swordsman archtype and the guns are just a necessary addition?

Super Jump:  It’s still an amazingly high jump (some would say it goes super high) but as a bonus Super Jump will now add invisibility to Excalibur while in air.  Additionally Super Jump will cause a small radial stun to all enemies around Excalibur when performed, similar to the way Ash’s Smoke Screen works.

It’s our hope that this change to Super Jump will make it less of a situational ability to reach high places, but also a utility tool for tight corridors or enemy-dense melee situations that you may not want to Slash Dash through.

I'd like to note that when i use Excalibur, i always have super jump equipped and frequently use it. So i do actualy see the usefullness of this ability.

But maybe it would be for the best to simply retire Super Jump and upgrade Slash Dash with the player being able to chose the vertical direction. Basicly being able to strike in the direction you are facing including upwards. This would make slash dash a great attack, escape and movement ability adding more utility.

The way it looks to me, even with these changes, Super Jump will most likely still suffer from being too situational, mainly because of it's strict vertical arc movement, which is more restricting than the other movement abilities. The only saving grace being the reduced energy cost.

Oh and to make matters worse for it, we will soon also get a new degree of mobility via melee (as showcased in the last devstream), which might make Super Jump even more obsolete.

As for the the usage in tight space, you would normaly prefer horizontal escape movement instead not vertical. Because vertical movement in tight space would slam you against the ceiling and back into the horde of enemies. Heck, you might be better of just using dash+jump, knocking enemies over to escape.

To make it usefull, the stun would need to be really good. However a really good stun at the cost of 5 energy, would mean it would get used as cheap tactic, provoking a nerf, which would then reduce it's usefullness in tight space again.

Super Jump had it's place early in the game's development. But as time progressed and new Warframes joined the game, i think Super Jump became dated and now just blocks an ability slot that could be used by something more up to date.

Radial Blind: No longer able to affect enemies in rooms separated by walls. To encourage and facilitate different gameplay styles (like stealth), enemies aware of Excalibur within a few seconds or enemies that Excalibur can see will also be affected.

A reasonable change.

However, stealth? Wouldn't that require actualy adding a proper stealth system or actualy making it rewarding over spamming room clearing abilities and or gunning everything down quickly?

Or do you mean stealth as in turning Excalibur into a living flashbang by trying to get into a large enough crowd before unleashing Radial Blind?

Edited by Othergrunty

Couple problems:

1. Oberon already fills the anti-status role.

2. It's already a highly-situational role. Even though preventing bleeds and knockdowns can be really useful, it's still not always something you're steeling yourself for.

I do find working some of the Excalibur lore into a move interesting, though.

I feel like Oberon is an example of a frame that Excalibur wants to be. Each of his abilities has a really great utility behind it.

But even with Oberon being able to block status procs, I don't see why Excal can't do it too. Plus, I think Oberon only does it via his carpet move, right? If they really want to change it up, they could make it so that the Eximus powers are also blocked. Either way, I would envision it working more like Roar or Warcry, so that it could be useful in other situations.

And yeah, it's still situational for sure, but there's definitely been times where there's half a dozen Eximus enemies in an area at once on high level survivals. Something to counter those would be really interesting. You might not want it to exclusively block Eximus effects, but I think it would be interesting.

Regardless of how they make a reference to the scabbard though, I agree, it would be pretty interesting and give Excal more depth than Super Jump does. I've heard other ideas that would super charge Excalibur so that his jump could be a super jump, attacks do more damage, etc. Honestly, anything other than Super Jump (even with the changes) would be more interesting.

Was just realising today that you can keep reloading during super jump. So this will give excalibur and a safe way to reload during those T4s.

(of course currently you could just radial blind but I guess invis works as protection at any range.)

Since you brought it up, i'm wondering what exactly do you guys actualy want Excalibur to be about, themetically speaking?

I mean based on artwork (<- Guns / Sword->) and the badass statue you released recently. Excalibur's theme is a mixture between Samurai and Gunslinger. Which kind of sums up the Tenno themselves, as masters of guns and melee weapons.

However all his abilities in terms of visuals are more related to the former (actualy they are closer to chinese wuxia swordsman but let's not got into that discussion) while the gunslinging aspect is ignored.

Or did i got that wrong and he is supposed to be a pure swordsman archtype and the guns are just a necessary addition?

I'd like to note that when i use Excalibur, i always have super jump equipped and frequently use it. So i do actualy see the usefullness of this ability.

But maybe it would be for the best to simply retire Super Jump and upgrade Slash Dash with the player being able to chose the vertical direction. Basicly being able to strike in the direction you are facing including upwards. This would make slash dash a great attack, escape and movement ability adding more utility.

The way it looks to me, even with these changes, Super Jump will most likely still suffer from being too situational, mainly because of it's strict vertical arc movement, which is more restricting than the other movement abilities. The only saving grace being the reduced energy cost.

Oh and to make matters worse for it, we will soon also get a new degree of mobility via melee (as showcased in the last devstream), which might make Super Jump even more obsolete.

As for the the usage in tight space, you would normaly prefer horizontal escape movement instead not vertical. Because vertical movement in tight space would slam you against the ceiling and back into the horde of enemies. Heck, you might be better of just using dash+jump, knocking enemies over to escape.

To make it usefull, the stun would need to be really good. However a really good stun at the cost of 5 energy, would mean it would get used as cheap tactic, provoking a nerf, which would then reduce it's usefullness in tight space again.

Super Jump had it's place early in the game's development. But as time progressed and new Warframes joined the game, i think Super Jump became dated and now just blocks an ability slot that could be used by something more up to date.

A reasonable change.

However, stealth? Wouldn't that require actualy adding a proper stealth system or actualy making it rewarding over spamming room clearing abilities and or gunning everything down quickly?

Or do you mean stealth as in turning Excalibur into a living flashbang by trying to get into a large enough crowd before unleashing Radial Blind?

why cant i upvote this post 100x?

So, amassing all previous suggestions I could make conclusions about wanted Excalibur changes:

1) Slash Dash should have an increased proc chance, scale it's damage from combos, have some vertical mobility and dash through enemies even if they are not killed by it.

2) Radial Blind should not be touched generally, minor improvements are welcome, but restrictions aren't.

3) Superjump should either be changed other way than proposed in devstream or retired completely, replaced whith new custom abbility.

4) Radial Javelin should have forced physical procs, giving it it's utility, damage and debuff. Also, it's javelins should puncture some objects, have damage scaling whith enemy level and giving invulenerability during the aftercasting animation.

This is short summary of the most viable ideas I've seen there.

I might suggest speeding up the cast time of Javelin, as it has gotten me killed more times than it's killed enemies in my experience.

We do have a Natural Talent for this case. However, mostly it doesn't get enemies killed, so it is not worth using it on high levels.

We do have a Natural Talent for this case. However, mostly it doesn't get enemies killed, so it is not worth using it on high levels.

I don't think we should be forced into using a specific mod that won't help any other abilities just to make his ultimate slightly closer to viable.

I'm still confused how anyone can call Radial Blind's change a nerf, or that it makes the ability useless.  It was flat-out broken before, as with proper modding it was possible to blind an entire tileset.  Which was stupid.  Sure, you're use to it in it's broken state, so for you, it feels like a nerf, but it was never intended to be used in this fashion.  So it's not a nerf, it's fixing something that's broken.

(And for the record, yes, it is broken.  Blinding whole tilesets for relatively low energy cost that's spammable is OP as hell.  Most frames wish they had that level of CC going on)

I'm still confused how anyone can call Radial Blind's change a nerf, or that it makes the ability useless.  It was flat-out broken before, as with proper modding it was possible to blind an entire tileset.  Which was stupid.  Sure, you're use to it in it's broken state, so for you, it feels like a nerf, but it was never intended to be used in this fashion.  So it's not a nerf, it's fixing something that's broken.

(And for the record, yes, it is broken.  Blinding whole tilesets for relatively low energy cost that's spammable is OP as hell.  Most frames wish they had that level of CC going on)

Well, here we go again. The main point is, Excalibur does not have any other skills that are viable for late game. This is why people resort to modding radial blind to be able to blind entire cities. And frankly, it's not that op when compared to Loki's invisibility and the other frames' abilities.

As someone who, pretty much always defaults to Excalibur when I don't have a frame to level. I approve of these changes. Though some nit-picks. 

Super Jump. The stun effect is a nice addition. But the invisibility.... I'm not so sure. I would of much preferred it to be called "Boost" or something. Basically it functions like K_Shiro said it

If you want to cling to that original idea so much (for what I can't see worthwhile reason then:

Simple jump upwards is obviously useless and should be forgotten. How would one make this jump into something cool instead, without adding stuff to it that are already cool by themselves and thus have no need for this superjump?

• Exclaibur jumps with great force towards the direction the player is aiming.
  • Pressing melee while midair, initiates a melee attack, akin to the wall-attacks launched from walls except the jump continues and when reaching a surface it behaves the same as if he didn't use melee.
  • Reaching a surface Excalibur grabs on like during wallwalking except he doesn't starts sliding downwards for a few seconds (during this time, holding jump initiates wallwalk towards aim direction if possible; when aiming downwards or on press of button instead of holding it and when wallwalking is impossible, jump would launch the player spinning off the wall; melee behaves like during wallwalking). He can snatch onto the ceiling too. He can launch another super jump from this position.

Not only is this much more useful. But it is also FUN AS HELL. 

And radial javelin.... WIll have to see., Not that I'm complaining about the added damage potential and CC, but the visual aspect. I always instinctively took a deep breath when starting this and releasing said breath when letting it loose. Made me feel like I was a nuke that just went off. Just afraid this ability will lose it's "epicenter" feel that very many other ults lack. 

Edited by Lakais

Sort of disappointed. This is a great opportunity to try and make different or synergistic abilities, and it's mostly just increase damage / targets or tack on other abilities. It's good that RB is getting looked at for being so strong, but I feel as though a lot more could be done with everything else.

Why not, instead of turning Radial Javelin into a generic aoe attack, make it interact with his slash dash or his super jump?

Although it’s no secret that we’re currently in process of balancing each Warframe to a particular standard, Excalibur was not at the top of our priority.  The leak of our suggested tweak to Radial Blind understandably caused a bit of panic when taken out of context. 

It was not taken 'out of context'. Radial Blind was broken too early and was retracted...and good thing too.  You were planning on breaking it without actually giving him any bonuses.  At least this way you were forced to realize that Radial Blind was the only thing that allowed him to contribute at higher levels.

Super Jump:  It’s still an amazingly lame jump (some would say it's super lame) but as a bonus Super Jump will now add invisibility to Excalibur while in air.  Additionally Super Jump will cause a small radial stun to all enemies around Excalibur when performed, similar to the way Ash’s Smoke Screen works.

FTFY

Oh by the way, did you hike the energy cost because of this buff?  And are you keeping it on the down-low so people don't cry bloody murder until the patch is out?  Not saying you did...but if you did...oh boy.  There will be hell to pay.

Radial Blind: No longer able to affect enemies in rooms separated by walls. To encourage and facilitate different gameplay styles (like stealth), enemies aware of Excalibur within a few seconds or enemies that Excalibur can see will also be affected.

What do you mean "aware within a few seconds"?  I get the whole "Line of Sight" bit...but are you admitting that enemies will be immune to Radial Blind if they have their back toward xcal?

That seems a bit over-the-top don't you think?

And how will that facilitate stealth?  You'll want to sneak around your enemies with their backs turned so that they're immune to your powers?  That's kind of silly...

(Please tell me I'm wrong and explain how this works)

Radial Javelin:  All enemies within radius of this ability will now be hit with a javelin.  Instead of having this ability radiate out from Excalibur, javelins will now spawn directly around opponents.  Javelins will optimize to find a point on each enemy that is safe to be hit, bypassing enemies that may be holding shields or otherwise in cover. There is also no longer a target maximum for this ultimate, meaning anyone in the radius will be an eligible target.

Additionally, if the javelin does not kill the enemy then each target that survives will be put into stun for a brief period of time.

Now, like I said, he won't be able to blind around corners...but he can spawn swords around them.  Oi...

No more Bullet Attractor combo?

No more headshots with RJ?

No more multi-hits with RJ?

Same damage as before?

Added Stun?

This has become a stun ultimate.  You've just changed it's entire playstyle to compensate for the reduction in effectiveness of RB.  Good or bad, that's what is going on here.

Being able to crowd control any amount of enemies, even for a short while, has proven to be a really valuable tool for Excalibur.  By opening his range of abilities to be a little more functional across all powers we’re certain that he’ll be a much more rewarding combatant against the enemies of the Lotus!

No mention of Slash Dash; even with the addition of 'directional melee' able to out-do Slash Dash in damage, possibly speed, and definitely out-utility Super Jump...

At least let SD add/use the melee combo counter so it doesn't feel like a sub-standard, energy-sapping, uncontrolled form of movement.

When will you stop goofing around and just make power strength scale with something?

Also I don't get why would you nerf RB in the first place. What, it's unrealistic? Come on! Ex is pretty bad in late game anyway, and now his only utility won't be dependable anymore. You think adding a short stun to SJ will help him? Really?

RB is not the only AOE ability that can be extended to hit the whole tile.

I can Bastille a whole tile, Chaos a whole tile, Stomp a whole tile, Radial Disarm a whole tile.

How is this effect broken on RB but not on all the other abilities that still have them?

This whole idea of RB being broken started with this thread. RB is one of the first abilities and since it's inclusion DE has added a whole mess of other abilities that can be made to function the same way. If this was broken why would they continue to put out abilities that can be made to function the same way? Are they going to stop all other AOE abilities that have the same function? Cause if they are they should tell us because that should calm everyone down.

Slash Dash should be based on weapon damage and 100% proc the element/damage type giving the most damage. 

Super jump should have a hold-for-directional-jump secondary functionality, instead of only jumping up. 

Radial Blind Throw a number of blinding sparks on casting, and should tick over time casting more blinding sparks on enemies for a few seconds, so that Excalibur can move around and still blind some more enemies. 

Radial Javelin is mostly OK now.

DE_Adam, on 08 Oct 2014 - 11:18 AM, said:

Radial Blind constantly blinding enemies through walls and around corners was not only unintentional, but it was also kind of strange.  It didn’t really fit with what we wanted Excalibur to be about, which is why we’ve taken the time to look at his retinue of abilities.  It’s not about making one power less fun to play, but making Excalibur a more well-rounded experience overall.  As discussed in Devstream 38, here’s where Excalibur’s abilities are currently heading:

Super Jump:  It’s still an amazingly high jump (some would say it goes super high) but as a bonus Super Jump will now add invisibility to Excalibur while in air.  Additionally Super Jump will cause a small radial stun to all enemies around Excalibur when performed, similar to the way Ash’s Smoke Screen works.

It’s our hope that this change to Super Jump will make it less of a situational ability to reach high places, but also a utility tool for tight corridors or enemy-dense melee situations that you may not want to Slash Dash through.

Radial Javelin:  All enemies within radius of this ability will now be hit with a javelin.  Instead of having this ability radiate out from Excalibur, javelins will now spawn directly around opponents.  Javelins will optimize to find a point on each enemy that is safe to be hit, bypassing enemies that may be holding shields or otherwise in cover. There is also no longer a target maximum for this ultimate, meaning anyone in the radius will be an eligible target.

Additionally, if the javelin does not kill the enemy then each target that survives will be put into stun for a brief period of time.

Keep in mind that all of these abilities are still under review at this time, and further changes may occur during our ongoing development.  We currently have no ETA as to when these changes will go live, but we’ll of course keep you updated with further adjustments to Excalibur as we get closer to completing his update.

Being able to crowd control any amount of enemies, even for a short while, has proven to be a really valuable tool for Excalibur.  By opening his range of abilities to be a little more functional across all powers we’re certain that he’ll be a much more rewarding combatant against the enemies of the Lotus!

RB's implementation may be unintentional and strange but that misses some very important points, or realities:

1)  A lot of people like it that way.

2)  A lot of the game is that way.

3)  It's been that way all throughout Warframe's rise to success.

Which, exposes the arbitrary nature of all this "balance"(I have less flattering terms for it).  What's more, players have strong opinions for or against it.  DE risks turning a large portion of the player base into losers ... again.  A small vocal minority is constantly working the forums, tearing the game down, always clamoring for Darksoulsextracreditsframe.  Meanwhile, the majority goes on playing and enjoying Warframe, not the forum wars, wanting improvements but not total rewrites or the destruction of their fun.

DE has the terrible habit of catering to this vocal forum faction at the expense of everyone else.  That's not positive, at all, it's quite negative in a variety of ways. Acting on player feedback is good.  But when it's done in such a way that one player faction wins and another loses, that is not good and I don't see the neccessity. 

If these Dark Souls and Extra Credits(or whatever we want to call them) ideas are so great then why not put them to the test in their own sandbox and let the player base make it's own choice?  Why impose them on everyone when not everyone wants them?  It's not as if the ideas in question don't exist in other games.  People could be playing all those other games, which are supposedly so great.  But, instead, many players are here playing the unintentional and strange Warframe, and enjoying it as such.

My point, regardless of nerfs or buffs or Dark Souls or Extra Credits or whatever, is why constantly try splitting the baby in half just right?  Inevitably, it's an unnecessary tragedy for someone.

Much of these "balance" ideas are really only appropriate for squad vs. squad engagements, (not horde vs. squad which is Warframe for the most part), or other play styles.  Why not create those as separate and distinct choices (missions for example) instead of always trying to shoe horn them (which destroys the game for many of us) into the strange and unintentional Warframe that we enjoy so much?  This would also help with the utility of Warframe abilities.  Different abilities would shine under different circumstances.  Trying to make all abilities shine (or more likely, terrible) under all circumstances seems like an uneccessarilly difficult choice to me, and it comes at the price of destroying the game that many of us enjoy.

There is another aspect to appeasment, association.  A lot of the motivation from the forums for nerfs comes from the belief that people are lazy, and more.  It's not expressed as blatantly as it used to be, but, those same individuals are still here, using the safer keywords and phrases such as challenge, skill, hard work, reward, etc.  So, we have a situtation where a small vocal minority declares players like me to be lazy, calls for nerfs on account of that, and DE complies.  It's galling to say the least.  Bored and angry is not what I expected to experience in Warframe.

Super Jump, haven't used it in a while but it never struck me as super high.  It was always underwhelming, and of questionable use.  Imrpoving it's performance still leaves it lacking utility because the circumstances that would make it fun to use are lackng for the most part.  There is also the issue of it being superfluous in light of Zephyr.  I have that mod that does AoE damage based on fall distance and it didn't make super jump worth using.  It was better to drop down off some high spot than use Super jump to trigger it, and it was still underwhelming.  Like Leap Attack in Diablo 2, I wanted it to be fun but the magnitude of the effect kept failing me.  Haven't tried it with Blind Rage.  But, if you need an ultra rare mod to make an ability at all useful, something is wrong.  I'm not sure what invisibility is good for, for the brief time Excal is in the air.  I guess he'll take the opportunity to use RB?  Still not seeing the utility in this and it's extremely situational.  Super Jump is a good example of something simple and good on paper but not so much in actual practice because it requires a set of external circumstances that are mostly not present.  It requires the right context but DE isn't talking to us about such things.  It doesn't seem that they have that in mind.  The focus is on the abilities and weapons but within an unspecified in-game context.  The context seems to be the forums wars rather than something more productive.  I don't see how that works.

Radial Blind, a lot of stuff affects enemies through walls, or instantly.  It gives the game a sense of immediacy and a fast exciting pace.  We like it that way, and I'm sure DE could make it work.  It works in massive horde mode for people who enjoy that.  It will never work for people who do not enjoy that.  So, what is DE attempting to achieve here?  The destruction of fast, exciting, immediate, spectacular, massive horde mode?  The promotion of slow clunky, sluggish, Darksoulsframe?  What really is the context that DE is trying to succeed in here, in relevant terms?  What play style is DE trying to facilitate?  What player psycology is DE trying to satisfy with these changes?  Let's contrast Super Jump with Radial Blind.  Super Jump is practically useless.  Few if any would miss it's old implementation.  Radial Blind currently has a happy following.  So, DE is proposing destroying RB for people who currently enjoy it to give it to another set of players who do not currently enjoy it.  Once again, one group loses so another group can win, instead of both groups winning by each getting the context that satisfies them and having the context sort out the details of how an ability succeeds or fails in context.

Radial Javelin, the proposed RJ implementation could work for RB so that it can still hit enemies behind obstacles without going through the obstacles.  Instead of javelins, it could be flares that pop up so fast, and unexpectedly, that no one could shield their eyes in time.  It could be strange flash bang.  It could make enemies deaf too.  Keep in mind that, rightfully so, enemies cannot anticipate Warframe abilities and in a fast paced game we would not want them to.  In a slower context, we would want them to possibly do so.  Or certain units might have faster reaction speeds.  It could be their thing so to speak.  But, DE apparently is not making such fine distinctions here.  It seems more like taking from Peter to give to Paul, figuratively speaking.

Edited by ThePresident777

Well, here we go again. The main point is, Excalibur does not have any other skills that are viable for late game. This is why people resort to modding radial blind to be able to blind entire cities. And frankly, it's not that op when compared to Loki's invisibility and the other frames' abilities.

But the changes to RB as stated here would not influence or diminish his late-game viability.  It would just mean he can't blind the entire tileset. for super cheap energy cost.  That's literally all it does.  It still retains all it's other properties, save for that.

RB is not the only AOE ability that can be extended to hit the whole tile.

I can Bastille a whole tile, Chaos a whole tile, Stomp a whole tile, Radial Disarm a whole tile.

How is this effect broken on RB but not on all the other abilities that still have them?

This whole idea of RB being broken started with this thread. RB is one of the first abilities and since it's inclusion DE has added a whole mess of other abilities that can be made to function the same way. If this was broken why would they continue to put out abilities that can be made to function the same way? Are they going to stop all other AOE abilities that have the same function? Cause if they are they should tell us because that should calm everyone down.

I've seen Stretch + Overextended Bastille and while it covers a wide range you cannot hit an entire tileset.  Same with Chaos, Stomp or Radial Disarm.

RB is the only ability right now capable of cheaply spamming a double CC (Stun + Blind) with the ridiculous amount of range that RB is capable of achieving.  Stomp wishes it could have that sort of range or duration.

I've seen Stretch + Overextended Bastille and while it covers a wide range you cannot hit an entire tileset.  Same with Chaos, Stomp or Radial Disarm.

RB is the only ability right now capable of cheaply spamming a double CC (Stun + Blind) with the ridiculous amount of range that RB is capable of achieving.  Stomp wishes it could have that sort of range or duration.

Bastille 10m

Chaos 25m

Stomp 25m

RB 25m

Ok, not Bastille but the other two are in the same exact line.

BTW, Stomp has smaller duration because, you know, the damage.

Edited by Mak_Gohae

Actually pretty pumped for this rework - I switched from Excalibro to Rhino recently, and was rather surprised that there's no actual downside (sprint speed aside). Maybe now there'll be a reason to switch between the two sometime as my main Warframe. 
Super Jump is rather useless at the moment, and I got thrashed way too often when casting RJ. >_> Maybe RJ should give some invincibility frames when casting? It's been way easier to chain 2 or 3 Slash Dashes than risk RJ'ing in a crowd.

Radial Javelin might be useful now.  It was such a terrible ability before.  Talking about a quick death.   Super jump i really still don't see the value, it would be great if it had an added HEAVY IMPACT effect at the end.  

Are you immune during a slash dash? because i always seem to get lit up while slash dashing.