The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Archwing And Absolute/compass Directions - Make It An Option!

CaveCricket48

From this interview, we have the following:

RPS: Warframe has always focused on agility and supermobility. Were there problems on that front with transitioning the warframes into space?

Sinclair: We wanted to take all the muscle memory [players] have from the game for sliding and dodging and that sort of thing so all of that is mapped to Archwing. Your sprint is a boost instead and when you slide in space you do this cool drift manoeuvre so you’re harder to hit. One of the decision we made early on which was a bit controversial was – I’m not sure if you ever played Descent? – you could bank and what was “up” could change. The first version of Archwing had you flying around and nothing was (predefined as) “up” so you could tilt and then up was to the left. It was super vomit-inducing and went one step too far into being uber hardcore.

RPS: So at first you had no absolute directions or compass points?

Sinclair: Yeah, so if you got into some strange configuration you had this woozy feeling and couldn’t figure out what was happening. We locked that plane. You can still move in those six degrees of freedom but there’s a very specific “up”!

Please, make it an option to disable concrete directions of "up" and "down"! I want my uber hardcore nauseating no-concrete-direction-of-up space battles! For those that don't want it, they can simply turn it off.

When I go invisible on Loki, the lack of sound really throws me off.

I rely on sound in-game quite a bit, from the grunts of passing Grineer to the little beeps of the Corpus.

When I don't hear anything, I get lulled into this 'Stealth Mode'

I think DE did mention something about how sounds would be different with Archwing, so at the very least we're getting a different type of sound.

While we're talking Archwing options, can we have a version with realistic vacuum? What I mean is no sound effects unless it affects you directly and even then they would be muffled.

Normally I'd be all for this but unfortunately Warframe at its core is one of those games that bypassed that particular realism aspect long ago. To start to honor the concept of realistic vacuumed space would feel out of place at the current state of the game. (ie. the sound of Lisets flying through space during cutscenes, corpus invasion space walk area, etc).  

Normally I'd be all for this but unfortunately Warframe at its core is one of those games that bypassed that particular realism aspect long ago. To start to honor the concept of realistic vacuumed space would feel out of place at the current state of the game. (ie. the sound of Lisets flying through space during cutscenes, corpus invasion space walk area, etc).  

Options remember? Besides that is very much true of having an "up" in space as well.

But the sounds in those sections are already muffled, just like when you run out of life support. So it actually makes more sense to have Archwing sound the same as those parts. If Archwing has full sound.... why now, and not in the other vacuum parts of the game?

But the sounds in those sections are already muffled, just like when you run out of life support. So it actually makes more sense to have Archwing sound the same as those parts. If Archwing has full sound.... why now, and not in the other vacuum parts of the game?

The sounds of the Liset flying through space is most definitely not muffled in anyway. Proper realism in that sense would be that it be completely mute during such a scene. 

"The enemy's gate is down."

I'm all for more options, so yeah, option to disable "up" and option to have muffled space sound.  I think it would be kinda cool to only hear the hum of your archwing's engines and the firing of your weapons. 

I once read a sci fi book, it may have been a spoof one, but it had a passage about how space fighter pilots were disoriented by the lack of sound in space and so their ship's computer would "fake" space audio for them based off of sensor data to give them a more tactile impression of space combat.

Edited by Gelkor

I am for options as well.

But... not everyone can HANDLE the lack of a vertical plane to orient themselves to. This is a known fact from many real life space missions as far back as SpaceLab and now the ISS.

The best result? Minor nausea. The worst? Vomit all over your keyboard and monitor.

ASTRONAUTS and COSMONAUTS, the people SELECTED and TRAINED for that kind of thing, had and have difficulty handling it on occasion.

How will the average gamer fare?

Edited by Kalenath

The sounds of the Liset flying through space is most definitely not muffled in anyway. Proper realism in that sense would be that it be completely mute during such a scene. 

Yeah you're right. Somehow I thought the liset flyby also sounded a bit muffled, but it does indeed not.

Still, an option for those that want it is never a bad thing.

"No sound"?

*puts headset volume to zero*

There.

Serious though, no sound? It will get boring pretty fast. We want EXPLOSIONS!!! And I think the "Jump" will be the "Up" and "Crouch" will be "down", people with controlers might enjoy this mode more than those with Keyboard+mouse.