Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe's Vibe Is Dissipating With Almost Every Update (Read Before Insta-Hate)

(PSN)kiddplay13

Again, what you want right here is the exact problem with the industry. We keep getting IP's milked to their deaths, people cry and whine over the lack of fresh blood in their franchises, but once IT DOES happen, people have something else to complain about.

How can anyone improve on their property with impossible expectations like these?

Well, if you have really good IP, you should stick to the original vibe that turned successful in the first place. Adding some minor changes and fixing what was wrong with the first game when you release sequels.

What is wrong with most of the developers, and i say most, is that they are being pressed by publishers and common business logic ( money gain ). Either to develop another IP that might not prove successful, or completely abandon it and implement it into successful IP.

Games should be innovative, what they were 10-20 years ago. Fresh ideas that changed whole gaming industry. And not just copy-paste from other games so you can appeal to more broad audience.

You can't stop people from being excited about it. People will hype in thier own ways to people.

I'm betting after Tenno live, the Hypethreads will return and go into full thrusters, sponsored by DE.

Best way is to be extied(NOT hyped) and be ready for dissapointment

I love Mesa to bits, but i really wish she had a more biomechanical look to her. You can see she has a warframeish spine, but thats it. She looks like she is wearing clothes over the warframe.

The vibe of the warframes that are the background of this forum, do not mesh with later completely cloth frames. The burnmished metal look of loki and ember are very cool, but not something translated into the game.

Edited by Zeromanicus

And that's exactly what Bioshock Infinite was. Not a sequel, different storyline, different setting, but the legacy of the original: Plasmids and ADAM/Eve / Salts Vigors remained. It also tied into the originals in some way, so it was still Bioshock, just not Bio 3.

I never said Infinite was bad(My second favorite out of the 3 with Bioshock 1 being my favorite), all i'm saying is it had a different vibe from the others. It still had an awesome story, got great reviews all that was different was the Vibe.

But let's stop because we're getting off topic.

Edited by (PS4)kiddplay13

Well, if you have really good IP, you should stick to the original vibe that turned successful in the first place. Adding some minor changes and fixing what was wrong with the first game when you release sequels.

What is wrong with most of the developers, and i say most, is that they are being pressed by publishers and common business logic ( money gain ). Either to develop another IP that might not prove successful, or completely abandon it and implement it into successful IP.

Games should be innovative, what they were 10-20 years ago. Fresh ideas that changed whole gaming industry. And not just copy-paste from other games so you can appeal to more broad audience.

And yet Warframe is still unlike any other game before it, with all of it's bugs and issues. But it's still it's own thing. I play my fair share of games and still can't compare anything to it.

I love Mesa to bits, but i really wish she had a more biomechanical look to her. You can see she has a warframeish spine, but thats it. She looks like she is wearing clothes over the warframe.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I love her concept, powers everything(Got 2 forma on her currently). It's just she doesn't fit the Original Vibe.

Best way is to be extied(NOT hyped) and be ready for dissapointment

If you're expecting disappointment, you're being cyncial. And in that regard, nothing will likely please you.

You're suppose to have a realistic expectation of a major update. There will never be an update which "fixes everything"

To be honest, I've played since u7. There was a time when warframe got stale and I quit. I called that time U10-12. There just wasn't anything going on. Gameplay had stayed exactly the same for five updates with no added elements. The frames we got were alright. The weapons we got were alright, but nothing was interesting or fun. We had the same mission types, we had the same void runs, we had the same planets with the same bosses, the most interesting thing was the Ruk update. Yea Warframe was cool back then, and that's what drew me in but frankly content was nil. I had a group of friends I rolled with, all we did was play defenses. Because survival was still barely a thing, we could cooperate and work together, and it was somewhat challenging out of all the content. The warframes were overall pretty bland, Zepyhr was the only thing aside from zoren copters with a shred of mobility and damage 2.0 was the biggest mechanic change that had happened since the switch from u6 to u7.

All these differences you want to point out in this little aesthetic change or that let me tell you something your forgetting. Up until relatively recently, things weren't colored differently, there was an ancient bug in the code that muted all the colors in the game and made them washed out. That's why things looked differently. They weren't at all different, they had a display bug. Whites were too gray, colors were washed out like old pants and nothing shined. The only differences in aesthetics that happened recently is yes more warframes look to be wearing cloth rather than "biomechanical" parts. But let's not forget that MESA has guns BUILT INTO HER ARMS. ZEPHYR has metal everywhere, including her entire thumbs being metal. Frames were built around the person to represent them, not designed in corpus styled utilitarian units like EXCALIBUR 001 EXCALIBUR 002 and so on. Mesa looks western because her original concept is a gunslinger and gunslingers are always represented by old west clothing. Could it have been more vague yes but why should it have been? That's a cool design, and it's arguably just as mechanical as valkyr. The "vibe" of the game has not only gone through gameplay changes that facilitate and improve stealth and mobility to feel more ninja like but also has improved on just about every aspect of it before or has something planned in the works. You might not like every frame concept and that's fine they don't represent you. I don't want dragon frame, I think it's going to be stupid and doesn't fit anything in my vision, but frankly I'm still going to play the hell out of it and make an angry face while I blow things up. I also don't like Excalibur that much either and he's the first warframe, but I think his abilities don't make any lick of sense with his empty design, if anything I'd expect him to have zero abilities at all and be a generic frame.

Regardless of what the new Warframes bring or don't bring to the table in terms of "the original setting" I find that overall the game still does a great job at keeping the atmosphere well balanced, specially when it comes to Dojos, and it's pretty incredible to see how different of an experience dojos can be for different players.

Of course some people will make silly dojos with "lol im so randum, spork' layouts and decorations stacked on top of each other,

and that's fine, because if that's how you want to play the game, that's a-ok, no one is going to slap your hand and say "NO, BAD FIDO" it's up to you to make the game the experience you want to have, be it from color packs or "heart trails" for your arrows or putting the mesa stance on a hot pink Rhino.

On the other end of the spectrum, there's people like OP, Rebecca and other people from this thread like myself, who enjoy a more, serious/dark/thoughtful(though I don't got as far as RP) approach to these things (though not necessarily 100% of the time either), like for instance I've spent more time than I'd care to admit organizing my Dojo in terms of layout and setting, patterns and decorations, and have thoughtfully placed them around my dojo, with the exception of some christmas paraphernalia my dojo keeps a very "serious" feel to it.

And I find that as long as DE continues providing options in the overall game to cater for both of those tastes, which from a development standpoint is a really big challenge, I'm fine with that, even if at times it does seem like DE as a whole is a bit confused as to where to focus next to keep that balance.

Edit: As a side note, I've been playing WF since the closed beta for those that think that "you only have a handful of forum posts, what could you possibly know of the game". Just not much of a forum person these days.

Edited by Amuga

I agree with your idea but on different aspects

Warframe designs are fine. They might be deviating a bit but I still appreciate the design of latest frames, the only thing that kind of rustled me was the fact that limbo had an actual top hat that he constantly takes off. It was just a tiiiny bit too close to absurd, but still acceptable.

The main problem for me is the mess that is created from different fx effects and visuals. As warframe started, it didn't have much variation on skills and status effects, thus it looked cleaner. 

Now every single enemy and player wants to illuminate the entire level with his prescience for various reasons. The game just looks painful too look at on intense and crowded battles. Best examples are something like unnecessary red melee impact glow or overly bright and intense glows for various auras that eximus enemies and ancients bring. It just needs to be toned down, the game is looking dark and mysterious feeling mainly because of these overly colorful additions.

Now about cosmetics, I really cringed when idles became shared for every frame. Your picture of that pink rhino is a perfect example of that. However even worse than that for me are armor peaces and sigils (why the F*** do they have to glow so much?).

I get it, it's a choice. I do tune the opacity of sigils, I don't wear any armor, I pick subtle looking syandanas and color myself in something other than blinding pink and lime colors. I still have the choice to keep whatever theme I want on my characters and gameplay.

The point is that this is a multiplayer game. By having additions I listed above you are definitively going to see a drastic change in player appearance who are tenno just like you and the same tenno that are kind of mysterious and all that. Copter and boltor prime powered gameplay in which you just blow seas of grineer meat is even more obvious.

In the end the feel of the game suffers even though each one of us has the choice of their own. It's not like we can get matched to people who enjoy the classical feel of warframe.

It sounds like people are more upset about "new characters" and how their designs have started to better reflect their personalities.

The only real things that have pointed to a Warframe's personality has been the Codex, and since they were introduced, Quests. You might not like Limbo's design or idle animations but he fits his personality perfectly if you pay attention to what's being said during his quest. Same goes for Mirage. Some of this is really apparent in the newer idle stances that actually look different from one another.

I think showing more personality in the designs and idles is great!

There have been a few designs that feel like they didn't mesh well with the rest of the frames though; mainly Hydroid and Zypher having so many details that don't seem to be super clear compared to frames like Nyx or even Nekros. I think that I've gotten used to them now, and they don't seem as over-detailed as they did before, but I think they still give off a different "vibe" compared to the designs before them.

Honestly, the biggest difference with Warframe in 2015 compared to 2013 is that it feels way more complete. Yeah, the earlier versions had an overall different "vibe" because it was way more unfinished than it is now. Look at any game during it's development and I promise you'll find that the finished version feels different than the initial builds.

Hard to take the game serious with all of the bright neon billboard advertising colors that ppl run around in

Sounds like my purposeful color schemes for the oh so  'serious frames'. I found humor in my Easter Egg Pastel Nekros, it was done on purpose. It amuses me and a friend to no end and I know it offends other people in some strange way since it's not 'serious'. 

A color by choice shouldn't be an offensive thing. Just keep to your serious colors and if you play PUG, know you won't be looking at that player forever and just suck it up and survive with them for a few minutes.Your serious nature will resume shortly. Some of us players are more light-hearted.

I get cheesed with the Red/Black still being the dominant look. So I remedy that and go bright (not always jokingly in ridiculous pinks/pastels either).

Edited by (PS4)Folkeye

One of the main reasons I, and other Vets love Warframe is because of it's Dark/Mysterious vibe. With almost every update it seems to slip farther and farther away. Let's take a look at Early Warframe vs Warframe Now

Early Warframe:

Warframe's were vaguely based off of some animal or person (Exception is Rhino), very cleverly or required some research to fully understand the name and design (See Vauban).

Tilesets were dark and looked more stealth friendly as the game was somewhat striving to accomplish

The bio-mechanical look of the Warframe's fit naturally and wasn't forced.

Although we had some weird frames, Warframe still had that Space Ninja Feel to it 

Warframe Now:

Warframe's are lazily/obviously based of off something that requires little to no prior knowledge (See Hydroid, Limbo, Mirage, Mesa, Valkyr, Oberon)

Tilesets are now brightly colored even with Brightness settings tweaked. Looks more like a dystopia than a Post Apocalyptic World

New Warframe's now seem to be wearing clothes more than Bio-Mechanical (Once again see Hydroid, Mesa, Limbo,Oberon, Valkyr, Mirage)

No longer Space Ninja and more of "Let's see what we can make next!" (Whether you agree or not the Devs were going for a Space Ninja theme just see Tagline and past Devstreams)

Why would you even include the likes of Valkyr and Oberon in names requiring little to no prior knowledge? If we're going to hold those standards, than only really Vauban and maybe Trinity classify above it.

I don't even understand your tileset point. If I recall, the first and once only tileset was corpus ship, which is brighter than many tilesets that came after it, and certainly never gave any "Post Apocalyptic World" vibe to it (not even sure how that's possible for a spaceship to do), and nor would such a vibe even be appropriate, being in space (A dystopian vibe on the other hand, seems quite fitting to the lore). The first tileset not in space was Corpus Outpost, still not giving that vibe, and not dark either. This was also only the third tileset. If you're saying that the tilesets have diverted from original themes, than I  think you latched onto a theme far too early, before one could even be established due to too small a sample size.

Of the frames you mentioned, Only Mesa and Limbo (especially Limbo) truly takes the clothing aspect any further than the likes of Frost and Trinity. I don't even get how you can level that complaint against Valkyr. Mirage doesn't give much of a clothes vibe either, especially with her default helm, an inspiration, sure, but Vauban has that too.

Space ninja theme wasn't all that pure for a long time now. If you can claim it was present before, it's still present now.

This argument reminds me of genwuners in pokemon.

They are comfortable with what they started with, and don't like change.

They give examples of newer things with silly designs and point out how the game is going in a silly direction.

This means that the same counter arguments should also work.

To start, as far as frame design goes, its a product of the times.

To start things like fire, electrical and ice themes were available, these are rather general and have no real parallels, meaning that their designs are more open to interpretation.

Now with themes like void mage and gunslinger, there is more of a consensus on how they should look.

You then go on to talk about how newer desings look too much like clothing instead of armour.

Thing is that has been a recurring visual style from the beginning.

Look at Frost, Banshee and Saryn for instance. Their designs heavily borrow from clothing styles

Furthermore if you look even further back to the first frames you can see their designs are actually really bland.

As for the games atmosphere and how it lacks the post apocalyptic feel it used to have.

Much of that is to do with visual improvements.

Shaded over lower quality textures tend to create that sort of decrepit and dirty effect.

Newer textures and lighting remove that feeling.

Finally there is spectical creep. Early on, a new tileset and a new frame with a couple of weapons was a big update.

Now with things like Archwing, Syndicates and relays coming out, things that were once massively hyped are passed over as small.

The game has grown a lot in the nearly 2 years I have been here, and that should be considered natural. Just like kids grow out of childhood habits games grow out of their early states.

And though we may think back nostalgicly about how things once were, you have to look at things in perspective and make a fair comparison.

For fact-based discussion, both Mesa and Excalibur have been designed and modeled by the same person, Mynki. U8 as a timeline has 0 relation to Warframe concepting and creation.

This statement alone says far more then what is inferred.

Allowing forum hype threads and letting the grow out of proportions is DE fault. Reason why most of the "U16 hype" threads are locked quite fast.

So, the moment someone makes a topic about something they're excited about, it should be locked or deleted? Is that what you're suggesting? If so, that makes 0 sense. "No Excitement Zone here on Warframe Forums! If you like something about our game, keep it to yourselves! We don't want to hear about it!" Yea, no. 

Player hype is not DE's fault. It's the player's fault for hyping themselves. 

But you can. Take for instance Bioshock 1 and 2 (Which DE helped develop ironically). Rapture was a claustrophobic, creepy underwater city. Compare that to Bioshock Infinite which was literally the polar opposite with wide open hallways, passages and Sky Lines. So in my opinion, the Vibe can be confirmed to change. The "Vibe" is why many games sequels and Prequels seem to fail more than the original (Look at Alien and Aliens and compare to Alien 3 and 4)

No, you can't. The vibe something gives off is strictly an opinion. It's like asking whether or not the color red is ugly. It's awesome to some & the ugliest thing ever to others, but neither of those are fact. Just opinion. 

The only misstep IMO is Limbo.

I LOVE the top hat idea, but the 2 piece tux was a little too on the nose to me. I would lOVE if they released a skin or alt body that removed some of the tux, and went for a more subtle look. I dont mind the magician theme, but Tux is too much. Still though, the tux is very strange, which may make it WFesque after all.

Other than that, i feel that WF has maintained its somewhat otherworldly vibe. I see the more thematic WFs as a natural progression in WF design. You don't want everyone looking like Excalibur alts. In World War II you saw crews beginning to paint faces and popular images on their tanks, planes and ships. I find this similiar to how WFs began to take on themes.

This argument reminds me of genwuners in pokemon.

-snip-

This is accurate. Maybe what DE started with wasn't their original vision of WF.

This is bringing back George Lucas vs the fans feelings for me.

Edited by Snydrex