Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Is Even The Point, For Me Posting My Concepts?

RadioLarity

Also it needs to be kept in mind that these things are made way in advance of being announced, it's also a back and fourth between the leads and modelers during that process.

They probably already designed and are beta testing the next prime for instance, the one that we will get in 3 months.

1. "Hey look, it's the new trend where everyone punches their faces every 5 minutes". A trend can be bad or good. This is a bad trend.

2. So your problem is that DE isn't taking their designs? 

1. I know. I just had to.

2. Now you got me confused. I was saying that DE are ignoring them and doing what they want, instead of implementing their ideas.

Legal issues, credit issues, aside from the obvious "why have employed concept artists if we can just ask the community?"

Warframe can make money on the frames they put in the game. And since it's not entirely their work, part of the money has to go to the artist who created the frame. Which isn't very ideal.

Also it needs to be kept in mind that these things are made way in advance of being announced, it's also a back and fourth between the leads and modelers during that process.

They probably already designed and are beta testing the next prime for instance, the one that we will get in 3 months.

Prime design is always on, an i can make a wild guess that every frame has some kind of Prime concept.

Edited by RoboDoge

The Dragon concept artist did a great job BUT

A: That dragon dosnt look warframeish like....

B:Its basicly COPY PASTE from one of the Tera Online races called the Amani...(Male ofc)

C:The Armor that the dragon is ''wearing?'' look incredibly similar to a Heavy Armor in Tera Online what Amani race can use (again Male ofc)

If i worked for DE i wouldnt have taken that Dragon concept onto consideration...im sorry but the Dragon concept pictures dont look Warframeish enought to be implimented into the game.

OnTopic: DE takes ideas but they have to MODIFY them to the point where they FIT into the game...and ofc the Designers need to get paid somehow :P

DE cant just copy and paste stuff off from the concept arts if their not Warframeish enought or whatever their reason is. (just my ''way of thinking'' why they dont pick stuff off from forums.

Yes i know some of the things made it into the games but overall the ''Items'' need to look warframeish....do we really want some plain old things in warframe without any unique designs?

1. I know. I just had to.

2. Now you got me confused. I was saying that DE are ignoring them and doing what they want, instead of implementing their ideas.

1. No you didn't.

2. Well yeah, that's what they're supposed to do. It's their game and they will re-design/design the concepts however they wish. They did it with Zephyr when that creator was sent a direct message saying that his frame is gonna be in the game, but that they had to change it so that Mynki gets to do something.

Here's the thing... artists are also people. There was a dev stream video where they asked one of the lead artists if/when they would use fan submitted art. His response is that they won't. Why? Because he wants it to feel like it was something he made, not someone else. With that in mind, the more detail and work you put into a concept art, the less likely it will actually look like that. Why? Because they're going to take one look at is and not make it. At best, it will resemble something like it, but only to a degree so that they can feel like they can take credit for it. That's just how people and the world work.

So playing to that meta, if you reaaaaally want your design used as you intended it. You should submit designs of all other variants that you don't want to see used. Thus by process of elimination, leave only the design you actually want, for them to claim as their own.

You know they have an artist for the frames right?. He gets paid to create the frames design. If they just took the already made art from someone else, then poor Mynki wont get paid.

But there are good concepts without art, that is where mynki could draw some.

But there are good concepts without art, that is where mynki could draw some.

True, but in the end, these concepts are swept under the ocean of fan concepts because they are either not popular enough to attract DE's attention or aren't very good concepts at all.

Kronen weak??? Did anyone else read that? Dude, 1. I'm an artist myself so i understand how you feel to a a point but and artist needs to get paid. They have artists that work for them. 2. Kronen has the highest base damage of any dual wield melee in game so I don't know how you're modding. Last thing, they didn't steal any concepts from players, the concept of a gunslinger class or even a dragon anything have been around FOR YEARS so please chill out.

OP your first concept. Looks pretty decent, needs some work, like digital paint maybe using photoshop so the frame has color and a proper rendering, my main problem with your first design(in the link you provided) is that it does not look like a dragon but more like a Rhino frame. The take wing skill looks a lot like the first skill of the Rhino. The second and third skills seem a bit too powerful creating imbalance.

Like here

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/466/Designing-Creatures-in-Adobe-Photoshop#.VRmNQPnF-Xg

Edited by Kantazo

The fact that so few understand what concept art even is.....

The fact that you're hating on art more than half of you couldn't even do...

And of course  that you'd even be so low as to say that since it looks like something else it sucks...

So glad I don't have to deal with hostile people like you when showing off my artwork...

It's sickening.

What is a game for us is a profession for those at DE.......

Yes they may use our concepts much in the same way marketing execs use ideas from focus groups or test markets.

In the end though DE has to do what they feel is best for their bottom line.

Also, if they use a concept too close to what has been advised they open themselves up to possible legal action.

Saryn - is poison eve with a Aloen head ...

Rhino is the Thing

Exe is Cyborg ninja from metal gear

there are a lot of Frame that siomply resemble Ssamurai and ninja and insect themes

Trinity ... hm, its a lobbster

vauban is the guy from deathspace

nekros is grimreaper

-----------------------------------------------

I mean, its generic ...

Really? Are you kidding me! 

Though they cannot implement everyone's concept it is amazing that they find time to add in community stuff. Most games don't fit any fan concept stuff into their game. A small list of the stuff DE has brought from the community into the game (not an exhaustive list): 

Hate - Based of a fan concept from Silverbones the community moderator

Kronen, Mios and Silva+Aegis - Community weapons competition (Buffs can happen at any time. All that matters is that they are in the game) 

TennoGen weapon skins - Community skin design competition

Manic, Riot Moa, Juggernaught - Community mob design competition 

Moving your liset on loading screen - suggested by community on a livestream 

Zephyr - Inspired by community concept of the same name 

Mesa - Inspired by pariah community concept

Chroma - Inspired by Dragon community concept

DERF ANYO  - Inspired by comminity concept 

DE has proven that they love what the community does and takes stuff made by the community all the time. They are not always the exact version but that is the point of inspiring the developers with your work. If you want to be the one making the stuff? Well DE is hiring:

http://www.digitalextremes.com/careers/postings

So back to your main point: What is the point of posting your concepts? 

Well firstly I would say that it is because it is something you enjoyed making and would enjoy sharing it with other like minded people. But other reasons:

- So it gets looked at by DE (DE Megan looks at concepts ALL THE TIME. She even picks one every week for warframe prime time.)

- So you can inspire other people in the community 

- So you can get feedback on your ideas and work to improve 

- So you can add to this great community

If all of that is not what you wanted and you really started designing your concepts with the sole goal of getting your content into the game exactly as you made them, then I would say you dont need to put your concepts up if you dont want to. 

The Dragon concept artist did a great job BUT

A: That dragon dosnt look warframeish like....

B:Its basicly COPY PASTE from one of the Tera Online races called the Amani...(Male ofc)

C:The Armor that the dragon is ''wearing?'' look incredibly similar to a Heavy Armor in Tera Online what Amani race can use (again Male ofc)

If i worked for DE i wouldnt have taken that Dragon concept onto consideration...im sorry but the Dragon concept pictures dont look Warframeish enought to be implimented into the game.

OnTopic: DE takes ideas but they have to MODIFY them to the point where they FIT into the game...and ofc the Designers need to get paid somehow :P

DE cant just copy and paste stuff off from the concept arts if their not Warframeish enought or whatever their reason is. (just my ''way of thinking'' why they dont pick stuff off from forums.

Yes i know some of the things made it into the games but overall the ''Items'' need to look warframeish....do we really want some plain old things in warframe without any unique designs?

Yep, pretty much.

aman_m_h21.jpg

Really? Are you kidding me! 

Though they cannot implement everyone's concept it is amazing that they find time to add in community stuff. Most games don't fit any fan concept stuff into their game. A small list of the stuff DE has brought from the community into the game (not an exhaustive list): 

Hate - Based of a fan concept from Silverbones the community moderator

Kronen, Mios and Silva+Aegis - Community weapons competition (Buffs can happen at any time. All that matters is that they are in the game) 

TennoGen weapon skins - Community skin design competition

Manic, Riot Moa, Juggernaught - Community mob design competition 

Moving your liset on loading screen - suggested by community on a livestream 

Zephyr - Inspired by community concept of the same name 

Mesa - Inspired by pariah community concept

Chroma - Inspired by Dragon community concept

DERF ANYO  - Inspired by comminity concept 

DE has proven that they love what the community does and takes stuff made by the community all the time. They are not always the exact version but that is the point of inspiring the developers with your work. If you want to be the one making the stuff? Well DE is hiring:

http://www.digitalextremes.com/careers/postings

So back to your main point: What is the point of posting your concepts? 

Well firstly I would say that it is because it is something you enjoyed making and would enjoy sharing it with other like minded people. But other reasons:

- So it gets looked at by DE (DE Megan looks at concepts ALL THE TIME. She even picks one every week for warframe prime time.)

- So you can inspire other people in the community 

- So you can get feedback on your ideas and work to improve 

- So you can add to this great community

If all of that is not what you wanted and you really started designing your concepts with the sole goal of getting your content into the game exactly as you made them, then I would say you dont need to put your concepts up if you dont want to. 

You worded this better then I think I could of. Good stuff.

The fact that so few understand what concept art even is.....

The fact that you're hating on art more than half of you couldn't even do...

And of course  that you'd even be so low as to say that since it looks like something else it sucks...

So glad I don't have to deal with hostile people like you when showing off my artwork...

It's sickening.

There's such thing as good technique, and. mediocre inspiration.

I myself am an artist, and these are fantastically well done. But they just don't fit within the aesthetic the devs have going. The art is for a PRODUCT, not a gallery. Things like this need to meet requirement and be original enough to not spark a lawsuit.