Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Uninstalled Itself

ir0nskin

Wanted to play Warframe today, tried to run it through steam and it's telling me I need to install it. Checked my control panel and it's not installed there either. I don't even know how this has happened? I was playing the game fine last night, turned laptop off and went to bed, tried to play it today and it's just...uninstalled itself?

I'm reinstalling it now, will post again if there's some other weird issue.

Happened to anyone else or?

sounds like a Registry issue, yes. almost guaranteed the data files for Warframe are still there - as even if you were to delete all of the local files for an application, Windows would still think it's installed due to Registry Entries.

and visa versa, if you delete the Registry Entries for anything, Windows will immediately think it's not installed anymore.

I have (had) this problem too! My solution is to install Warframe on another hard disk.

I have two hard drives: a SSD and a HDD. 

On the SSD Warframe is uninstalling itself almost every time I try to launch it. On the HDD everything is fine. No other steam/Non-steam game has this trait. 

Do not know why it is only Warframe though. DE, any ideas?

[Note: Installing works fine, launching& playing, too. But if I restart my laptop Warframe needs to be re-installed. This occurs not every time, but almost. But as I said, only when I install Warframe on a SSD.]

Edited by WSkD

Thanks for input guys, it's never happened before with any game I've had. (steam or otherwise) I didn't delete any registry files or any kind of files yesterday, but will see if it happens again when I turn everything off.

Happened to me with couple Steam free to play games. I'm thinking it's a Steam problem, not Warframe.

Yeah, I had the same issue. I checked the game's files and everything seemed to be in order, but Steam insisted that I didn't have any "Warframe" installed on my computer.

My brother has a new and fresh computer. First time we started it up was 2 days ago. We installed warframe (it was 18 hours of downoading... country issues) and when he got to 100% of files downloaded (in steam) the download just started itself again. And all the files are there too, I don't understand this issue.

Also, we tried to copy warframe from my computer to skip that 18 hours of downloading, we succefully put the "Warframe" folder onto an USB without any issue; but when we transfered it to the new computer and put it on the "common" steam folder, the game just wanted to download again and again. After this, we deleted the game from the new computer and I tried to make a back-up steam file of warframe to the USB, only to get an error message saying that I needed to verify the game's cache. I did it, with the consequence of deleting almost all of warframe files. So now I just got 1.1GB of warframe in my computer and the full game on the other computer; but with the infinite downloading error. And I can't try more things with the USB since we're now at different cities.

Right now my brother is uninstalling steam and every trace of steam from his computer, we both hope this fixes the issue. But I really want another solution to this.

Backups from Warframe do not work. At least up to the last version (and obviously this, too). I tried it with ~20 PCs and Laptop from a lot of different people (meaning completely different hardware, different accounts, ...) and it will always download all files again even if steam find the files correctly. 

It would be one thing to copy Warframe for others and one to use it for oneself (backup); sadly neither works.

Of all my steam games (just 157, so not a big number) Warframe is the only one which is NOT "copy able". Backups (from steam) do not work too. At least I did not get them to work.

Steam and its' associated games work fine though (on all the hardware tested).

• 4 months later...

So far, this has not happened to me. But there was one time when steam stopped working and I had to uninstall it and reinstall. Not a big deal in and of itself, but in doing so, it uninstalled every game I had on steam. I had no idea, at the time, that this would occur and not only did it uninstall my games, but it also deleted all the map and mod files I had for all the games. So, I had to reinstall steam, reinstall all the games I had, and get back all the maps and mods I had for all my games. What a pain.

I would bet, that this has to be a steam issue of some sorts. The only other thing I could think of would be your hdd was going bad and it just happened that warframe was installed in the sector that went bad and the data was lost. There by needing to reinstalled again. I have an old computer with a hdd that is going out. If you check the health of your hdd, ( defraggler has that option ) you look for the reallocated sector count. Usually it should say 200/200 and the threshold at 140 which should mean your hdd is still good. If not, then that means some of the sectors on your hdd are bad and unusable. Anyway, good luck.