Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thanks For Watching Devstream #60!

[DE]Rebecca

i am very supportive of the game and the developers in general

but

that wukong frame... as bologna pogna mentioned, sends off this terrible aura of anachronism

idk how other ppl feel about it, but as an asian whos familiar with the wukong lore,

his powers doesnt fit in the sci-fi based game, nor is his lore.

other frames have abilities that gives off feeling of "super high tech weaponry and energy manipulation"

which goes well with an idea that warframe was designed as an weapon.

but wukong's powers give off a feeling of "magic"

and theres no place for "magic" in sci-fi game.

any attempt to explain that "magic" in scientific notion would only lead to either removing his theme or introducing magic.

it just simply is a something so jaded and mismatching that it takes out immersion into this game.

before i saw wukong, i thought this game as "super high tech weaponized armor game"

but now its "league of bunch of irrelevant heroes with super powers"

maybe its just racial thing that i find this so unfitting but i really cant see this game same way anymore

i am so worried that oni(japanese demon/monster) frame or nine-tail frame would be next

i wonder what his lore is going to be, a child was sucked into the void and the void turned him into monkey?

ask any asian how this feels like.. it feels like "we have little asian flavor in here! love us!"

and that is exactly what i dont like as an asian.

i know despite of whatever i say, the frame will come out

but i am not really sure i wanna play a high-tech weaponized armor game with a monkey

Edited by Nineart

Regarding (Sun) Wukong,

I've been around the Chinese culture most of my life, and can speak some (40% efficiency or so) Mandarin. I also have a lot of Chinese American and Native Chinese (Taiwan also) friends, and have been all around Asia. I only mentioned the previously stated, because I definitely understand that marketing over there is vastly different from western marketing. It's like comparing kazoos to scuba diving, without a doubt.

That being stated, I figured it would be fun to show some of my Chinese friends the Wukong footage. They and myself agreed; the Chinese DE team really needs to try harder. We are all familiar with Sun Wukong and the Chinese fairytale called Journey to the West, which is where the character comes from.  The way the frame looks is pretty decent. We all definitely liked the Syandana, and I personally would pay for one if it ever appears on the market. The mechanics looked bad and reeked of the typical Chinese developer "It's Chinese, so it has to become a hit!" mentality.

Here's the thing; this is a sci-fi game. It's not a sci fairytale game. This character and especially these mechanics don't fit very well in the Warframe universe. Also, the Chinese market deserves better than 拍马屁 (butt kissing) characters that are only there to pander and be used as what is appeared to be a safe bet.

I personally love that DE is trying to make a big splash in the Chinese market, but the Chinese leadership team basically did the equivalent of adding a Looney Tunes character to a new release of Predator 2.

I'm absolutely not trying to be a critical person of this game.  I love almost everything that has come out over the past year and this is still my fave online game, hands down. This frame and it's mechanics make me super apprehensive about it's reception/debut and I hope this concept has a major rework before release. 

...I want that Syandana!

So, you're Ok though with The Fairy King Oberon and his magic bubbles, carpet and twirling balls of healing and death?

Or with Chroma breathing fire, ice, electricity or poison?

Or Mirage and her Disco Ball of Death?

Or With Hydroid summoning the Kraken?

OR Zephyr Making Tornadoes?

Or with all the other space magic in the game?

Look, i get it, Sun Wukong is really important to Chinese lore, culture etc. And yeah, I can see that from your view it seems like some serious catering to the Chinese players to release Sun Wukong.

But, for someone on the outside, I thought it looked like a ton of fun, and in the end they may rework it or tweak it. But then again maybe they won't.

I guess my advice, is try not to get to bent up about it. IT IS JUST A GAME.

i am very supportive of the game and the developers in general

but

that wukong frame... as bologna pogna mentioned, sends off this terrible aura of anachronism

idk how other ppl feel about it, but as an asian whos familiar with the wukong lore,

his powers doesnt fit in the sci-fi based game, nor is his lore.

other frames have abilities that gives off feeling of "super high tech weaponry and energy manipulation"

which goes well with an idea that warframe was designed as an weapon.

but wukong's powers give off a feeling of "magic"

and theres no place for "magic" in sci-fi game.

any attempt to explain that "magic" in scientific notion would only lead to either removing his theme or introducing magic.

it just simply is a something so jaded and mismatching that it takes out immersion into this game.

before i saw wukong, i thought this game as "super high tech weaponized armor game"

but now its "league of bunch of irrelevant heroes with super powers"

maybe its just racial thing that i find this so unfitting but i really cant see this game same way anymore

i am so worried that oni(japanese demon/monster) frame would be next

i wonder what his lore is going to be, a child was sucked into the void and the void turned him into monkey?

ask any asian how this feels like.. it feels like "we have little asian flavor in here! love us!"

i know despite of whatever i say, the frame will come out

but i am not really sure i wanna play a high-tech weaponized armor game with a monkey

Np, so long, take care, later, bye, don't call us we'll call you.

Most encouraging DevStream I've seen.  Great stuff coming for archwing, nice Peacemaker rework, Hysteria made more interesting and toggleable, awesome Corpus enemies with easily removeable debuff auras, inherent scaling of weapons.  Excellent work, DE.

Couple of small concerns:
1. Atlas' trapezius muscles attached to the back of his head makes his head look tiny from the back.  Looks cool from the front so just make sure we can see the base of his 'helmet' between the muscles.

2. Make sure weapons start from 33% or 50% max damage so we can actually use them, and allow us to fit all the mods at level 1 so we don't have to keep remodding it every mission or even when forma'd.

@TennoMordant

if you havent even read it, why even bother quoting mine?

too much hard words for you?

dont S#&$ on other ppl's solid thoughts with your "I LIKE IT DONT TOUCH IT"

chroma has infested look and his abilities elemental harzard is part of game feature

Mirage is known for her harlequin look, which is western theme,

Hydroid is inspired by pirate theme as wiki says and has whole tileset that is matching

zephyr is fanmade and such tornado can made with modern science.

but let me ask,

where does ascending into cloud fit in space?

most of these planets dont even have "clouds".

does any of your so called "magical frames" make monkey sounds?

there is no doubt this monkey frame is out of warframe universe and doesnt fit in well

Edited by Nineart

I don't really see wukong as out of the warframe universe, compared to limbo who shifts reality to enter another plane, wukong still seems tame. Also if clouds are a problem then how does Zephyr make her tornadoes? Plus we have seen exactly one of his abilities.... that is kinda early to say he doesn't work at all. 

Edited by Omega-Shadowblade

@NIneart

@TennoMordant

if you havent even read it, why even bother quoting mine? (Oh I read it alright)

too much hard words for you? ("Many", try not to criticize someone's grammar or comprehensive reading abilities if you have trouble with the language yourself)

dont S#&$ on other ppl's solid thoughts with your "I LIKE IT DONT TOUCH IT" (I mentioned in response to BolognaPogna's post that much of the game takes influence from fantasy and other lore, Sun Wukong isn't as jarring as you may think to Warframe's sci-fi-fantasy feel. I was short with you, but I doubt I "sh#t" on your thoughts.)

chroma has infested look and his abilities elemental harzard is part of game feature (I think you mean, 'his elemental abilities are a featured part of the game,' but your guess is as good as mine. And he is a dragon frame. Fantasy.)

Mirage is known for her harlequin look, which is western theme, (Agreed, it's a western theme. But it's not a-typical of sci-fi.)

Hydroid is inspired by pirate theme as wiki says and has whole tileset that is matching (Indeed, a pirate themed frame, hardly sci-fi related.)

zephyr is fanmade and such tornado can made with modern science. (Wow, really? We can make tornadoes?)

but let me ask, (Please do)

where does ascending into cloud fit in space? (Quite a bit of gas and clouds in space last time I checked actually)

most of these planets dont even have "clouds". (Hm, you might want to rethink that one)

does any of your so called "magical frames" make monkey sounds? (Not yet, but I'm still waiting on the Sound team for that one)

there is no doubt this monkey frame is out of warframe universe and doesnt fit in well (Maybe, maybe not, the Warframe universe and lore are quite vague, broad and far reaching)

But hey, if you still don't like the new Sun Wukong frame, that's cool, I still love you. *wink*

Hey can u change 1 of the chromas skills because ever since chroma came out people have been hardly using him and i think thts because he only has 2 actually awesome skills while his 2nd and 3rd skills aren't as strong. How about giving him a skill where he goes into a frenzy like valkyr

That's good to know, helps to keep people from being dissapointed.

However is the update process in the "only small fixes until update" mode yet or are there still little content additions planned over the next week(s)?

i don't imagine it's in the small fixes stage if it's still over a week away from release. 

@TennoMordant

if you havent even read it, why even bother quoting mine?

too much hard words for you?

dont S#&$ on other ppl's solid thoughts with your "I LIKE IT DONT TOUCH IT"

chroma has infested look and his abilities elemental harzard is part of game feature

Mirage is known for her harlequin look, which is western theme,

Hydroid is inspired by pirate theme as wiki says and has whole tileset that is matching

zephyr is fanmade and such tornado can made with modern science.

but let me ask,

where does ascending into cloud fit in space?

most of these planets dont even have "clouds".

does any of your so called "magical frames" make monkey sounds?

there is no doubt this monkey frame is out of warframe universe and doesnt fit in well

Don't see how that could be an issue. Maybe some open minded and creativity will do. Don't see how a dragon with effigy (what? a Shaman or a hunter?) works clown freak Mirage and the top hat Limbo. But it's all good. And I love them all; and at least quite a few positive feedback on the forum. And do we have to use science to explain how these abilities, say Zephyr's Turbulent and Rhino's Stomp may or may not work on certain planets due to lack of certain atmospheric pressure and gravities? Heck. Do we know how these planets really are?!

I'm going to say it now....that power blocking corpus is going to be annoying as )$*@....just watching the devstream with that CONSTANT static of the hud when it is around was giving me a headache......so what happens whe that PLUS a damn nullifier shows up? :P

in regards to the "mandatory" mods like the + base damage and multishot (yes i know its getting changed) why not just incorporate it into the weapon leveling, so at rank 5 you have a rank 2 serration, at rank 10 its rank 4 serr + rank 1 multishot...so on and so forth. so by rank 30 its rank 10 serration damage boost equivalent and rank 3 multishot (toggle imo)

Edited by xcynderx

I'm surprised that oriental individuals are opposed to the inclusion of an oriental figure into warframe. Sun Wukong isn't really out of place at all in the Warframe field, as we have the Loki, the prankster god, Oberon, The King of the Fae, Equinox, A frame symbolizing yin yang, and good old Nekros, your friendly neighborhood loot Necromancer. This pool perfectly illustrates the fact that, no, an oriental frame isn't out of place, being named after a specific individual isn't out of place, and 'magic' like abilities aren't out of place. Sun Wukong will be right at home with the rest of our frames. 

i am so worried that oni(japanese demon/monster) frame or nine-tail frame would be next (For one, if you look at the orokin/tenno general artistic style, there's a very very very real Japanese style to the aesthetic. Hell, the hole 'Space ninja' thing borrows from the Japanese Ninja thing. Adding an Oni or kitsune frame would actually make MORE sense to be in the game. Check ya facts mate)

ask any asian how this feels like.. it feels like "we have little asian flavor in here! love us!" (While most of the tilesets for the Corpus and Grineer don't scream oriental style, the tenno style screams it into your ear until your ear drums bleed. Walk through a heavy constructed clan dojo once and try claiming this again.)

but i am not really sure i wanna play a high-tech weaponized armor game with a monkey (Even if the frame was named Monkey, I would still fit in Warframe decently, especially since we have Rhino. Going off the not extremely, blatantly obvious, we still have the very obvious Valkyr, who is our friendly neighborhood raging fluff ball. How is a monkey not fitting in warframe?)

@xcynderx

If you listened to the commentary they had during the devstream, spawn rate isn't usually that high, they just set it up for that one run to showcase the enemies.

@Lone.HUnter.99

It was never confirmed for 17.5 the closest they got to giving it a ship date was trying to get it in with u18

Edited by SquireAngel

So, you're Ok though with The Fairy King Oberon and his magic bubbles, carpet and twirling balls of healing and death?

Or with Chroma breathing fire, ice, electricity or poison?

Or Mirage and her Disco Ball of Death?

Or With Hydroid summoning the Kraken?

OR Zephyr Making Tornadoes?

Or with all the other space magic in the game?

Look, i get it, Sun Wukong is really important to Chinese lore, culture etc. And yeah, I can see that from your view it seems like some serious catering to the Chinese players to release Sun Wukong.

But, for someone on the outside, I thought it looked like a ton of fun, and in the end they may rework it or tweak it. But then again maybe they won't.

I guess my advice, is try not to get to bent up about it. IT IS JUST A GAME.

Np, so long, take care, later, bye, don't call us we'll call you.

All of the frames you mentioned had concepts, mechanics  and ideas (artwork etc. as well)  that were hashed out from scratch. Wukong definitely had almost none of those three. This was definitely too forced and the mechanics he has weren't even the coolest of his abilities in the story they could have picked from. Seriously, you should read up on the powers he had in the story. It's a great story and he is one of my absolute favorite fictional characters. Multiple abilities with the staff hardly do him justice and it also lets the Chinese market know that DE (in China anyway) is another company that doesn't get them.

Here's a question: Do you know how many times he has been added to an online game as a direct result of what the Chinese developers think the Chinese consumers want? Warframe will be #6. This game will be the 4th within the past 5 years. Wukong isn't not even in the top 5 for popularity in China with the other games either.

Also, had you fully read what I typed, you wouldn't have made the "it's only a game" remark. I have loads of fun with this game and am a huge fan. This is their only big decision I've taken issue with since I started playing almost 3 years ago. Regardless of what happens, I'll always be a fan and one of their biggest supporters. My worst case scenario would be that the frame is annoying and cringe-worthy, only because (as of today) it needs major tweaking, and his character should be done right, if added. 

All of the frames you mentioned had concepts, mechanics and ideas (artwork etc. as well) that were hashed out from scratch. Wukong definitely had almost none of those three. This was definitely too forced and the mechanics he has weren't even the coolest of his abilities in the story they could have picked from. Seriously, you should read up on the powers he had in the story. It's a great story and he is one of my absolute favorite fictional characters. Multiple abilities with the staff hardly do him justice and it also lets the Chinese market know that DE (in China anyway) is another company that doesn't get them.

Here's a question: Do you know how many times he has been added to an online game as a direct result of what the Chinese developers think the Chinese consumers want? Warframe will be #6. This game will be the 4th within the past 5 years. Wukong isn't not even in the top 5 for popularity in China with the other games either.

Also, had you fully read what I typed, you wouldn't have made the "it's only a game" remark. I have loads of fun with this game and am a huge fan. This is their only big decision I've taken issue with since I started playing almost 3 years ago. Regardless of what happens, I'll always be a fan and one of their biggest supporters. My worst case scenario would be that the frame is annoying and cringe-worthy, only because (as of today) it needs major tweaking, and his character should be done right, if added.

I think that's a little bit over thinking. And a little bit underestimating the wide ranging impact in eastern culture and, more recently younger western culture, via via games and anime. (Also, his origin in the Vedas, and relation to the mantras, is another interesting comparison.) But doing justice or not is not even the case. One piece uses only few of his abilities and we have nearly 1000 episodes. Even Dragon Ball Z directly portrays him didn't have to count up all his 72 super abilities. And, not the least LoL gives all the abilities when portrays him authentically coming directly from his time dimension as Sun Wukong.

All of the frames you mentioned had concepts, mechanics  and ideas (artwork etc. as well)  that were hashed out from scratch. Wukong definitely had almost none of those three. This was definitely too forced and the mechanics he has weren't even the coolest of his abilities in the story they could have picked from. Seriously, you should read up on the powers he had in the story. It's a great story and he is one of my absolute favorite fictional characters. Multiple abilities with the staff hardly do him justice and it also lets the Chinese market know that DE (in China anyway) is another company that doesn't get them.

I'm not too familiar with Sun Wukong lore, but I'll take you up and read more into it.

I'm not saying you don't have fun in this game. (Yes I fully read what you wrote) I made the comment of "It's just a game" not to insinuate that you don't like Warframe, or question your loyalty to the game, or to question that you enjoy the game.

I made the comment because sometimes F2P games do things you don't like, and in the end it's "just a game."

As to whether or not it needs tweaking or is cringe worthy. Maybe to some players it will be. Maybe to the rest of us he'll be fun. We'll have to wait and see.

Ember is a fire wizard.

Frost is an ice wizard.

Nekros is a necromancer.

What is all of this talk about "magic" not belonging in Warframe?  Excalibur shoots magic swords out of his body.  And with a name and cosmetics named after Arthurian stories, the only move he has based on any Arthurian sword is Radial Blind.  Arthur and his knights didn't have lightsabers and couldn't shoot swords out of their bodies.  Wukong at least as powers that the uninitiated will recognize.

Edited by FrackingBiscuit

Guys... its two people unhappy, no need to get defensive. Every frame has people on both sides of the fence.

This is about right for a wukong tribute - his trademark weapon, the cloud riding etc... same as every other game from western one like Smite to eastern ones like Warriors Orochi, why should WF miss out on an awesome concept for a character? And yeah energy in warframe IS magic... no krakens in space but its all about fun factor

Happy birthday forum sibling! :)

Nice stream, with everything shown I really need to farm for plats to get the Valkyr skin & new slots for both frames...

Just one thing : why, O why did you stop talking about Syndicate procs & Stealth so abruptly?!....

How can you add a stealth ability for a new frame if you don't polish the Stealth system?!!

Anyway, keep going, you're spoiling us but PLEASE CREATE STEALTH 2.0 !

(if I repeat some words so much, it's normal : that will get printed in your minds easier... -_- )

Edited by unknow99

Allright something which bothered me ever since i heared what Atlas powers would be.

Where does the rock come from on a space ship? In the Void Towers? The ice moon Europa? Or the Gas City on Jupiter?

All the other "elemetal" substances can be relative well explained with pseudo-science as being drawn from the environment.

In case of Ember, Frost, Zephyr and Volt, they just manipulate the environment to create the fire, cold, wind and electricity.

Hydroid could draw water monecules from the air and have some stored in his bulkier armor. Heck even pocket space ala where Warframes store their ammo would make sense, because water as a liquid can be easily seen as stored and removed from such an invisible tank.

But the rock we saw in the devstream is solid and bulky and it's somewhat hard to imagine where it could magically come from or where it could be stored.

Does Atlas have a quarry somewhere stored in his bag of holding?

It's kind of opening a can of worms to think about it. So smart move showcasing him on Earth.

Also how can the Monkey King frame cloud walk while on a space ship?

Edited by Othergrunty